Start by marking “I Wouldn't Thank You for a Valentine: Poems For Young Feminists” as Want to Read:
I Wouldn't Thank You for a Valentine: Poems For Young Feminists

I Wouldn't Thank You for a Valentine: Poems For Young Feminists

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
With readable, richly varied contributions from women poets both famous and unknown, both young and old, both English-speaking and in-translation, I Wouldn't Thank You for a Valentine: Poems for Young Feminists is a timely, unique, and exceptionally inclusive anthology. Edited by Carol Ann Duffy, herself a British feminist poet of much renown, this collection of insights a ...more
Published November 15th 1997 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published May 28th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about I Wouldn't Thank You for a Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Wouldn't Thank You for a Valentine

DW
Picked this up at the library because I didn't understand the title. Honestly, a lot of the poems seemed unnecessarily bitter, including the title one (I would love a valentine!) and the gruesome one about "Look Ma, no hands!"

The one I really liked was "Lullaby", by Rosemary Norman, a baby telling her mother to go to sleep. I also liked "To the Spider in the Crevice Behind the Toilet Door" by Janet Sutherland, odd but enchanting. "Vestment" by Ana Blandiana was interesting to think about (her bo
Alicia
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: voices, poetry
I would describe the collection as a little outdated for kids today, although there were three poems that I enjoyed. One classic, "Phenomenal Woman" by Maya Angelou, I enjoyed "Space-Age Lover" by Jennifer Brice and last, "A Woman's Work" by Dorothy Nimmo. However, looking at it as a whole, I was pleased to see a large representation of different cultures, Asian, Native American, European, etc.
Angela
This collection of poems felt outdated and disjointed in its organization, and I doubt that it would find much purchase with today's feminist teens. It may have, however, found more resonance with readers when it was originally published in the mid-1990s.
Tasha
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only aspect I resist about this collection is the illustration, not because the artist isn't wonderful, but because, for me, the formatting of the book took away from its significance.
Ami
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
An alright collection of diverse poems by and about women and their lives. Had some highlights, but the lack of a Sandra Cisneros poem was a glaring omission to me.
Glenda Bailey-Mershon
rukbat
rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Dame Carol Ann Duffy, DBE, FRSL is a Scottish poet and playwright. She is Professor of Contemporary Poetry at Manchester Metropolitan University, and was appointed Britain's Poet Laureate in May 2009.

She is the first woman, the first Scot, and the first openly LGBT person to hold the position.

Her collections include Standing Female Nude (1985), winner of a Scottish Arts Council Award; Selling Manh
More about Carol Ann Duffy...