Start by marking “Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)

Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World

(Rivals!)

"Each volume of four 30-minute histories will dig into the petty name-calling and grumbling grudges that led to many of the world's greatest advancements, all delivered with a cheeky sense of humor."

Did you know that most of our dinosaur fossils were discovered because two grown men absolutely hated each other? It’s true!

Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World is a riotous
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published May 29th 2018 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World

Start your review of Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
K. Elizabeth
Funny and informative! I could've done less with all the audio effects, but other than that, I learned some things I didn't know. I mean, who knew Hamilton was kind of a jerk?
Steph's Romance Book Talk
4 Stars / 0 Steam Fans

This was a super fun history lesson that is perfect for the young reader but also relatable and humorous for the adult listener/reader.

This specific video review will be included in the July 2019 wrap-up.

For other video book reviews check out my YouTube Channel: Steph's Romance Book Talk.
Erin
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Audiobook narrated by several actors 2h 55mins 24

My second Audible selection for July was entertaining and informative and reminded me that I need a Monty Python marathon real soon. If you're not a historical buff, this would still keep you riveted especially chapters 3(Elizabeth I versus Mary, Queen of Scots)and 4(Alexander Hamilton versus Aaron Burr).

Goodreads review 29/07/19
Cori
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Second listen; still equally funny and interesting. I've decided any time I need to feel like a well-adjusted, successful adult, this is my go-to.
--‐-------------‐-----------------------------------------------------------

Hands-down one of the best Audible Originals I've listened to yet.

Four hilarious and mind-boggling stories about two petty paleontologists, Adidas vs. Puma, ridiculous royalty, and of course the long-standing dual between Burr and Hamilton. So glad I grabbed this one from Jul
Lorena
The kids and I listened to this together. It was a super fun and funny look at a few historical rivals. However, one star is deducted for unnecessary and sometimes shocking profanity. One time everyone in the car gasped! Boo for a children’s book!
Claudia
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun little audiobook! My most important takeaways from this book are: 1. I have been pronouncing Adidas “AH-dee-dahs”, the right way all along, 2. I am still Team Mary, Queen of Scots, and 3. Who knew Alexander Hamilton was such a jerk? I sure didn’t.
Faith
Aug 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio, dnf
The audio was juvenile, embarrassing and unbearable. I think listening to it will actually lower your IQ.
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5

I like the history behind this but the sound effects got annoying.
Queen Cronut
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun way to learn history. If Horrible Histories and Mental Floss had a baby, this audiobook would be the result. I really enjoyed the full cast narration and the epic sound effects.

What to expect from this audiobook:
- JERSEY!
- Mary to marry a merry prince
- the proper way to pronounce "Adidas"
- an interesting perspective on Aaron Burr (especially after hearing so much about the Hamilton musical)

Although it's brief, it manages to cover a lot of information chockful of humor with nuggets of
Tena Edlin
I learned a lot from this audio book. The stories were pretty short and interesting; they left me wanting to know more. I appreciated the list of resources at the end so I can read more someday about these topics and people. Honestly, though, I don’t think the attempts at humor were needed. They just made me roll my eyes. 🙄
Jen Brodehl
4.5 Stars- This was a short history Audible Original. It was easy to listen to with my son Lucas who is 10. He loved it! And it made me extra happy to learn more about Hamilton and Burr’s rivalry. Highly recommend!
ElizrdbthSpeaks
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i love humor. historical info. 2. great listen, listened on Audible, i really appreciate that they took a lighter side to history and made it fun. i love the sound effects!! so fun. great cover ... i want more from this man ... these narrators ... AWESOME!!
Samantha
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
A humorous telling of four of history's greatest rivalries, including Elizabeth I & Mary Queen of Scots and Hamilton & Burr. Those both already being familiar, my favorite was the origin story of Adidas & Puma. Some of it was a little more lighthearted than I prefer for nonfiction, but an interesting, quick listen. ...more
Tracy
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this! You learn of real-life rivalries and how they affected the world. Includes rivalries I never knew about between paleontologists, Alexander Hamilton vs Aaron Burr, Addidas vs Puma and Elizabeth vs Mary, Queen of Scots. Fun and light the way it's presented....
MangoLoverReads
3/5 — Free Audible selection. I found the sound effects annoying, but I did learn things. There were 4 rivalries reviewed. I found some of the ‘stories’ more interesting than others.
Thomas
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, nonfiction
A fun production aimed at getting kids interested in history.

Often played for laughs, there is some solid reporting here. I just hope all the listeners understand that the joke quotes are just that, paraphrasing in modern language to make them funnier and more relatable.

Not a bad little listen.
Judi Easley
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: humorous historians!
Recommended to Judi by: Audible
Rivals!
Frenemies Who Changed the World
Scott McCormick
Narrators: Prentice Onayemi, Samantha Turret, Christine Hvam, Gabriel Vaughan, Josh Hurley
Audible Original, May 2018
2 hours, 55 minutes
Historical Humor/Humorous History
Purchased from Audible
⭐⭐⭐⭐

I found the cover of this book to be totally amusing and extremely eye-catching as well as appropriate for the book. Everything on the cover relates to one of the “stories” in the book. Yes, dinosaurs and Queen Elizabeth in the same book!

This book is no
Morgan Pace
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good choice for a car ride with middle and high schoolers.
Kathryn
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
I really enjoyed this! It was an amusing but generally historically accurate look at four instances of rivalries that affected the world in both negative and positive ways. There were rivalries I didn't even know about along with ones I did. I adored the narrators voice and his way of presenting the book.

The content was very amusing and engaging, and I was glad that it called itself out on the unfair way it presented Mary Queen of Scots, admitting it was done so with humorous intent but listed
Ivonne Rovira
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who thought they <i>didn't</i> like history
Recommended to Ivonne by: Audible
Scott McCormick has penned the history book that would make anyone love history. Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World is the rare book that lives up to the publisher’s description: The book really does read as “if Monty Python taught your history class”! The four rivalries — one between paleontological experts; one between two sneaker-making brothers; one between Queen Elizabeth and her cousin Mary, Queen of Scots; and the last between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton — make for riveting rea ...more
Justin Smith
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, nonfiction
Pretty enjoyable listen. Historical info + funny Monty Python bits.
Alyson Kent
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining
Charlene
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this take on rivalry, so refreshing and new. I highly recommend seeing Hamilton the musical and then reading McCormick's take on the Burr - Hamilton feud.
SheriC (PM)
I think this must be intended for children, because the language is very simple and straightforward. Regardless, it was not interesting enough to keep my interest.

Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read-books
So I honestly did not have a physical copy of this book, I listened to it as an audiobook from Audible.com. I listened to it while I was doing my Sunday chores, it only lasted a couple of hours, 2 hours and 55 minutes to be exact. I thought that this book was an easy way to Strat teaching history to younger readers. It was cute and funny, but did touch on the actual history of the four rivalries in the book. It was definitely a good paced audiobook and it did help me renew some historical knowle ...more
AudibleBlerd
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars.
Rachel
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Really interesting but the sound effects were annoying and some of the representations of death took way too light-hearted of an approach.

Funniest fact from this book: Presidential campaigns were DIRTY and in an age where information wasn't easily accessible and, therefore, the info you got may have been straight up lies. Like how Adams boldly lied and told everybody that they should vote for him rather than Jefferson because Jefferson died. Hilarious.
Aliaq8
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rated-5
this was fun to listen to AND Very interesting.
yasmin ✨
This is my first time listening to an Audible original. I enjoyed listening to this very much. Each story only takes about 40-50 minutes so it was easy to keep up with while travelling. The narrator provides background information so we understand the rivalry in context. I love the compilation style of this audiobook as I got to learn rivalries from many different industries/sectors which was really interesting. The occasional sound effects and speaking in character was humorous and helped me un ...more
Michael Huang
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice little stories about “frenemies”: two paleontologists undermining each other in pursuit of dinosaurs discoveries; brother-turn-rivals shoe shop of Adidas and Puma; the story of Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I; and finally Burr and Hamilton. Good for kids I suppose - funny in the juvenile way with the audio effects and such. The story of Burr and Hamilton is especially interesting as Hamilton is perhaps more familiar to an average person today and the stories one heard is likely to port ...more

• A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • The Conception of Terror: Tales Inspired by M. R. James - Volume 1
  • Jukebox Joyride
  • It Burns: The Scandal-Plagued Race to Breed the World’s Hottest Chilli
  • The Man Who Knew The Way to the Moon
  • Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic
  • More Bedtime Stories for Cynics (Bedtime Stories for Cynics, #2)
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #0.5)
  • The Dead Drink First
  • Even Tree Nymphs Get the Blues (Mystic Bayou, #2.5)
  • Midnight Son
Scott McCormick is the fourth most popular author of graphic novels for children in his house. He also makes a really great bolognese. Oh! And one time he hit a grand slam in softball that elicited a hearty "nice one" from his teammates. That was a good day.

Rivals! (2 books)
  • Rivals 2! More Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals, #2)

News & Interviews