Start by marking “I Hope This Makes You Uncomfortable” as Want to Read:
I Hope This Makes You Uncomfortable

I Hope This Makes You Uncomfortable

4.8  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Kat Savage returns after a two-year poetry hiatus to release "I Hope This Makes You Uncomfortable", a collection of poetry intended to do just that. In this collection, the author focuses on a little heartache, a little loneliness, but mostly being a woman, and all the sensitive, uncomfortable, and violent emotions and acts it brings about.
Paperback
Published November 15th 2018

To ask other readers questions about I Hope This Makes You Uncomfortable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Hope This Makes You Uncomfortable

J.R. Rogue
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This collection brought me back. Back to the beginning, to the reason I am friends with this author— her writing. I still remember finding her on Instagram and shouting her out, letting everyone know how refreshing I thought she was.

This collection hurts. It really hammered home all of the ache I feel being a woman in this world. All of the expectations and the self loathing we learn from society.

Everyone needs to read this.
Ashley
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I Hope This Makes You Uncomfortable...yes - yes, it will. Kat Savage speaks such hard truths, shining the spotlight on things usually kept in the dark. I love honesty and I love truth, but today while reading, I just felt sad. I felt an intense sadness for Kat's struggles and a deep desire to fix them. I think when I'm reading Fiction, it's easier to get lost in the pain of broken characters - it doesn't always hurt in the same way because it's not happening to a real person. When I read Kat's p ...more
Tiffany Silver
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DEVOURED!!!

So yeah, some really gritty visceral pieces in here broken up with the all to relatable broken heart. Loved the ones about insecurities. Because, fuck, that’s so relatable for me.

A beautiful collection the author spilled the dark parts of her broken heart into.
Maria
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. That was the first word that popped in my head when I read the very first poem. So much of this collection felt open, raw and emotional. The goal of the book was leave you feeling exposed and empowered. Kat wrote so beautifully and unapologetically about what it is like to be a woman who is ridiculed. I am so insanely wowed by her work, especially this collection. I can not wait to see what she does next.
Ashley
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great collection of poems, emotional and real. I hope this makes you uncomfortable... And at moments it really does. Great reads should make you uncomfortable.. make you feel something.
Alicia Cook
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"you make leaving me
sound like forgiveness"

Everything in this collection is so beautifully done. The title should serve as a Content Warning, my friends. Savage aims to discomfort the reader with the harsh realities of today's political climate (touching on abuse and body shaming of women); relationships, with oneself or others; and other facets of life that poets too often romanticize. That's not to say that the book i
Lady Horror Book Reviews
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book hurts. I mean to be blunt because that's exactly what Kat is. She doesn't sugar coat or dilute for comfort. She tells her truth exactly how it feels in her heart and it's apparent with every word.

I'm no stranger to Kat's writing so I went into this knowing that she was going to rip open my ribcage and expose everything I've been feeling. She's always been good at that. Making us see our truth... Even when we don't want to.

This book was different. I could tell from the first line of th
Stephanie
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I devoured this book like no other! I literally read it in under an hour. Savage has a way of writing the ugliest and hardest subjects so beautifully. It's like she can see into souls. There is at least one poem for everyone in this collection. I'm in major book hangover. Fat Girls, Loving Liars, Begging, Regret Me, A Tragedy in Four Acts are just a few of my favorites from this undeniably beautiful collection. Her words linger in the brain and make you think, they are fantastic because she i ...more
Shasta
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kat, I swear your soul aligns with mine in so many ways. Your poetry always makes me drown in blood from the inside out. With this, you put your hand inside my chest & gripped my heart. Squeezing tighter as I read each line. I have never been so moved by poetry the way I am yours. To say that I am gutted, is an absolute understatement. I am not alone. & you are not alone. We are not alone. Even when our souls feel so heavy. I know I'll need some time to recover from this, but in a good w ...more
Talon
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Are these beautiful poetry people trying to kill me or something? Drown me in feels? Make me feel things I don't typically feel? I think they are. And when I say 'they', I mean Kat Savage and J.R. Rogue.

I Hope This Makes You Uncomfortable definitely made me feel uncomfortable. I swallowed feelings that are typically hard to swallow and also felt my eyes get really heavy and watery. Kat pushed me to my limit with this one and I loved every second of it.
Kayleigh
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Savage. Her name perfectly describes her words. Blunt. A punch that will catch you offguard somewhere between your abdomen and the memory of the boy in 5th grade that snapped your bra strap so hard you cried.

In today's society women feel alone or at odds with one another, but I think we all can identify and connect with one another through these poems.
Naroba
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Perfection. It was a cathartic experience. Some poems I felt deep in my marrow. Some unrelated to people I love so much and want them to read them too so they can feel they’re not alone, ever. Kat Savage writes unabashedly raw, real, beautiful words. I’m enraptured by them. I can’t wait for everyone to get their hands on this.
Krystle Able
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First of all, this cover art is AMAZING.
This collection of poems is amazing. I have enjoyed all of Kat's collections, but I felt a real connection with this one. I saw myself and my past in several of the poems and, yes, it made me uncomfortable. Kat digs out the emotions we try to bury deep inside ourselves that are hurt too much to deal with. She shines a light onto things about ourselves we don't like, things about our past we might regret, and even fears for the future we didn't know we had
Christina Hart
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"you've assembled this nothing
and yet,
sound like forgiveness"

I Hope This Makes You Uncomfortable brings about a freshness to modern poetry. A unique, soulful voice with strong viewpoints and even stronger emotions. Savage always delivers heart-wrenching pieces meant to cut, to twist, to make you feel, and with her new book, she does just that.

This book is not meant for people who may be triggere
Setnushka
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the first poem it was obvious how the title was a perfect fit. Everything that is written down are things women have gone through and kat wrote it down so honest and raw but at the same time so beautiful. You are so open with everything you've gone through and I thank you for giving us the inside of you and your feelings.
I cried during most of it. I was hurting as I was reading. For myself, for you and for everyone who needs it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
As a long time f
Renee
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow, this collection of poetry left me nearly speechless. Once I read the dedication, I knew it was going to be powerful. I wasn't wrong. Her poetry is written in a way that makes you feel all of her pain and emotion through the pages right down to your core. It's real, it's raw and it packs a punch. I was going to mention that it is probably not for the faint of heart, because yes, it will make you uncomfortable. But, then I came to the realization that the faint of heart are the people who may ...more
Daniele
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How do I explain the emotions? Each poem, each line, pulls you in. I did not have to experience any of them to be exactly in that raw moment. I wanted to yell and cry and hug. Kat’s words strip away everything, they let you know you are not alone. They let you know even if you feel weak you are and will be strong again because you are not alone. Yes this may make you feel uncomfortable, but it’s sometimes in those moments we find our greatest strengths.
Roxanne Dugger-Martinez
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book of poetry is aptly named because if it doesn't make you feel uncomfortable, then I don't know what will. There were a few poems that stood out and made me feel very emotional for the writer. This is a book young people should read to understand the consequences their actions have on others.

"I wonder what she would have been like, the girl who didn’t meet the vulture, the girl I could have been"
Bookish_Sally
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, thought provoking, emotional.
Some poetry I’ve read have just been fancy words put together to give the reader a glimpse in the authors life and maybe get something out of it, but this book does so much more. It makes you reach into your own self and find that these words are MORE.
This is my first time reading work by this author. I will be reading more from this author.
Amanda
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good collection of poetry from this author. My favorite quote:

"It is this, it will always be this
Back and forth,
my state of mind a pendulum,
a broken clock
Rewind, fast forward
Stop
Please stop."
Cecilia
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. It is very real! It will definitely make you think. I love it.
Chasity
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just wow. This collection made me feel right down into my very soul. I can say with all honesty that the way Kat Savage writes makes me feel as if she is in my very head. I'm sure I am not the only one that her writing touches either. It is raw, vulnerable, strong, and so powerful. It is a must read for sure! Hell of a way to end the year. I LOVED THIS BOOK!
Luna Margo Valentine
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, poetry
Transcendent. Also kind of angry. Intense too. Soulful. At this point, I'm spouting very accurate adjectives. This made me feel things. Understood, mostly. A quick read with a strong message. My message from it is that I wasn't alone. That I am not alone, and that's overwhelming and that is beautiful and that. is. everything.

There's some stuff that requires a trigger warning like sexual assault, that's in the last part.
Melissa Hawkins
Nov 02, 2018
Rochelle Bartee
R.S.
Nov 08, 2018
Kat Savage
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kerri Laferriere
Butthisbook
Oct 28, 2018
Vanessa (nessreads)
"you make leaving me
sound like forgiveness"

This collection of poems hurts. It hits you right in the heart and holds you in its visceral fist. It's gritty, raw, heartbreaking and real, oh so real. Emotionally charged and achingly beautiful.

Kat opens your chest and exposes your heart to feel every single word she writes. She has a way of showing beauty while writing about the ugly and she does it with grace.

I Hope T
Amanda Coleman
Fida Islaih
Ashly
Oct 30, 2018
Kat Savage’s unique brand of storytelling combines some of her own truths with a little bit of fiction to connect to people in a very real way. She writes about ugly things authentically and shamelessly.

She recently combined her former self-published chapbooks into one collected volume of poetry titled This is How I Die and is currently working on her debut novel For Now.