Start by marking “The Things She's Seen” as Want to Read:
The Things She's Seen

The Things She's Seen

Nothing's been the same for Beth Teller since the day she died.

Her dad is drowning in grief. He's also the only one who has been able to see and hear her since the accident. But now she's got a mystery to solve, a mystery that will hopefully remind her detective father that he is still alive, that there is a life after Beth that is still worth living.

Who is Isobel Catching
Published May 14th 2019 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Things She's Seen, please sign up.
Mali because they didn't understand the other title
Nancy They are the same book -- it was given a new title in the US.

Start your review of The Things She's Seen
Hannah Greendale
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
At first glance, The Things She's Seen looks like a morsel, just a slim bite of a book about an Aboriginal ghost, a heartbroken father who works as a detective, and a strange girl who speaks in riddles. But upon closer inspection, it's a substantial meal, with meaty themes and a satiating mystery. What begins as the story of an unexplained fire unfolds into a layered, harrowing tale of tragedy and triumph with elements of magical realism in the vein of Life of Pi.

Easily consumed, but not quickly
Krystal
An unusual read, which lightly skims over some dark atrocities.

Beth is dead, and trying to help her grieving dad solve a mystery. The mystery leads them to Isobel Catching, who has a rather strange story to impart ...

This was an easy read, taking a mere handful of hours from my day. On the surface, it's a light story about death and moving on, but it also references the horrific treatment of Aboriginal people in days gone by and gives a voice to people who should have been heard.

It's told by bot
Lata
4.5 stars. A story of family, grief, and dead and missing young women. Part of this story felt familiar to the situations in Canada:
1) the taking of indigenous youth from their families and the deep and long-lasting psychological trauma to the children and their families.
2) missing and dead aboriginal women, and the lack of substantial, societal interest.
This was a deeply emotional story, and had me in tears by the end.
Jenny Baker
It took me days to finish this book despite the fact that it’s incredibly short. It should have been a one-sitting read.

At first, the story reminded me of The Lovely Bones — a young girl dies unexpectedly and her spirit stays behind to help her grieving family — but then I realized The Things She’s Seen lacks the emotional depth that I loved in the Alice Sebold novel.

Beth was killed in a car accident. Her detective father can both see and hear her. She helps him with his investigations, becaus
K.
Trigger warnings: death, Stolen Generation, (view spoiler). I think that's all?

This is a very peculiar little book. I mean, it was amazing and fast paced and I flew through it. But at the same time, I definitely wasn't expecting the magical realism-y elements of Catching's story. There were so many reveals in this story and I was blown away by every single one of them, even though this is barely 200 pages long.

I loved the mixture of prose and poetry. I loved the cha
Zitong Ren
People can time travel inside their heads.
Remember into the past.
Imagine into the future.
But sometimes you can’t escape the now.

This book was a very interesting experience for me. I’m someone that normally reads loads of heavy hitting fantasies, that when I read a book like this, which has the most beautiful prose and lyricism to its writing, it happens to be an entirely different reading experience for me. I actually wished that it was longer so that we could have gotten more of that wonderful
Figgy
Catching Teller Crow is a very powerful book with lots of important comments on grief and moving on; the stolen generations in Australia; the treatment of women; and the racism and prejudices that those descended from white settlers can often direct at those or aboriginal descent, whether in an actively damaging role or as bystanders who don’t do anything to speak up against the injustice.

And all that in under 200 pages.

The story alternates between chapters from Beth Teller’s point of view, and
Alice (MTB/Alice Tied The Bookish Knot)
Catching Teller Crow is a gorgeous, spooky read about a girl called Beth who died but now lives as a ghostly spirit and communicates with her father who is a detective. After some strange happenings, she and her father stumble on young Isabel Catching, who only tells her stories in verse and experiences strange ordeals of fantasy. This is told in a duel POV and written in both prose and verse. It was a beautiful, fast-paced read that was both thrilling and heartwarming. This does have aboriginal ...more
Judy
Once I started I literally could do nothing but continue without a break until I had finished. I read as an audio-book and it was stunningly narrated by Miranda Tapsell. The authors note at the end is a must must read.
The authors note actually gives you everything I would like to be able to say about the importance of encouraging every Australian to read this and similar stories.
Officially classed as Junior Fiction- it is actually a book any discerning adult reader will devour.
Amazing, enchan
Calzean
This little book packs a punch. Two different narrators, aboriginal story telling, child abuse and exploitation, the Stolen Generation, death and grieving, and a murder mystery with a unique perpetrator. Just a brilliant book that makes reading so worthwhile.
Rincey
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poc-author
OutlawPoet
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, despite my posting name, I don't think poetry is for everyone and I think that a book that relies a lot on poetry to tell the tale should warn someone.

So, listen up! Much, much poetry and it's necessary for the plot so you can't skip it!

The poetic surprise notwithstanding, I did like this one. I thought the verse beautiful, our mystery compelling, and our characters interesting and engaging.

More than anything, though, I think I was intrigued mostly by this step into a culture that I've read
Adi Rocks Socks
3.75 stars; buddy read with my mom and dad. 💖
RTC.
Melanie  Brinkman
Just what has Isobel Catching seen? What does it mean?

After dying in a car accident, Beth can't bear to leave her father behind. The more his survivor guilt causes him to pull away from his loved ones, the worse he gets. Beth convinces him to take on a case in hopes of helping him move on, and be a detective again. What was supposed to be an open and shut case about a fire at a troubled children's home leads them to a girl with a story that sounds like a fantasy. However, the tale she tells reve
Megan Maurice
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t sure about this book at the start, but the more I read, the hungrier I got to reach the end and solve the mystery. The parts narrated by “Catching” are so beautifully written and the way they tell the story is breathtaking. I want to go back and read all her parts again with the knowledge I have from having reached the end.
Trisha
Well, that's a heart-breaker.

Lyrical, lovely, #ownvoices
Diana-christie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio-book, boring
This story and the writing did not interest me.
Michael Livingston
Smart, mysterious and surprisingly weighty for a slim YA book.
Cheyenne Blue
It was good to read a young adult novel relating to indigenous Australians. I don't remember coming across any other (and would love to hear some recommendations, as I'm sure they must be out there).

This was enjoyable, but I wasn't blown away by it. I enjoyed the disjointed, choppy verse chapters told in Catching's voice the best. Beth Teller, the dead girl narrator seemed rather simplistic at times and I found I hurried through her parts to keep up with the story, rather than savouring them, as
Kirsty
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You might see the slim size of this book, or that it's shelved in the children's section, and think it's lightweight. But it's one of the most complex, affecting and intense books I've read in a while. I wish it was many times the length – not because it needs it, but because I want to spend longer in this world and learn more about the history and present of aboriginal people in Australia.
Bitchin' Reads
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, NOVATeen Book Festival, for this amazing ARC.

Beth is a young Aborigine teen who has died in an unfortunate car accident, leaving behind a grieving father who is pulling away from his in-laws due to his survivor's guilt. But he can see her ghost. In an attempt to help him find his footing in life again, she encourages him to take on a case that she hopes will help him come to terms with what has happened to her and bring him back to his senses. The case he takes on was supposed to be a
Erica Henry
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 🌟 rating. A heart wrenching mystery with a hint of paranormal fantasy.
Kathleen Dixon
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
I read a children’s story by this author team before and enjoyed it, and a teen fantasy also, but this teen novel is superb. To categorise it is impossible - it’s a detective novel with a ghost and a link to Aborigine mythology in small town Australia. It tackles racism, and corruption. And grief, and love, and friendship. It’s told in 2 voices - one in prose and one in poetry - both linking perfectly to take the story along to a fulfilling conclusion.
Krystal Gagen-Spriggs
There are a lot of discussion points in this novel that would make it a great class novel. As a reading for pleasure book however, I think it might not be as well received. I know that my personal enjoyment was influenced greatly by the discussion around this book by my Teacher Librarian book club - without the insight and thoughts of my colleagues, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the story as much. It did however, get me thinking.
Sass
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly excellent Indigenous Australian YA
Tory
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs, ya
An interesting premise and a different perspective, but for being billed as YA, the writing level felt much more like a middle-grade book.
Lisa
I do love a bit of synchronicity! The very day before I read Catching Teller Crow, by collaborative writing duo Ambelin Kwaymullina and Ezekiel Kwaymullina, I stumbled on a Tweet from the Sydney Review of Books which was about stylistic innovation in Young Adult Literature a.k.a. YA. Felicity Castagna, author of No More Boats, was reviewing Helena Fox’s How It Feels To Float (see here) but began by talking about the ways in which YA is judged.
... more than any other genre YA books are likely
Ivory
Sep 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5 ⭐️‘s.
The strength of this book is in the ending.
Stacey
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sometimes a book just isn't someone's cup of tea. And that same cup of tea can be heavenly to a different person. I think that "The Things She's Seen" just wasn't for me. This is a quick book and I loved the general plot idea of a ghost girl who is staying with her father while he grieves. In doing so, she begins to help him with a murder mystery. All sounds great but I really struggled with the way the book is written. The characters on one hand feel one dimensional and very young. Then on the ...more
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-work
This was a wonderful own voices title from Indigenous Australian authors. I honestly couldn't think of a single author I knew that fell under both of those categories before. I really REALLY hope we'll get more Indigenous authors published by mainstream publishers in the coming years. Indigenous rep seems to have completely fallen to the wayaide despite the "We Need Diverse Books" campaign and readers asking for diversity.

Despite being less than 200 pages, it covered a lot of things about how In

• Brontide
  • This One is Ours
  • The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling
  • This is How We Change the Ending
Ambelin Kwaymullina loves reading sci-fi/fantasy books, and has wanted to write a novel since she was six years old. She comes from the Palyku people of the Pilbara region of Western Australia. When not writing or reading she teaches law, illustrates picture books, and hangs out with her dogs.

News & Interviews

“My science teacher said that just because two things happened together didn't mean one was because of the other, or as she put it: correlation does not imply causation.” 3 likes
“Her people and mine carry me into sleep.” 2 likes