Start by marking “God's Generals Why They Succeeded and Why Some Fail” as Want to Read:
God's Generals Why They Succeeded and Why Some Fail

God's Generals Why They Succeeded and Why Some Fail

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  1,380 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Here are twelve compelling biographies of some of the most powerful ministers ever to ignite the fires of revival by dynamically demonstrating the Holy Spirit's power. Roberts Liardon faithfully chronicles their lives along with their teachings, their spiritual discoveries, and many revealing photos. William J. Seymour, Aimee Semple McPherson, Smith Wigglesworth, and Kathr ...more
Published November 1st 2000 by Whitaker House (first published January 1st 1997)

Amy
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was fascinated by this book. I was inspired, humbled, but most of all hopeful that God can take the simplest person who is willing to be used and make changes in this world that we live in. I am recommending this book to everyone I know. It has given me a new vision as to what God meant for the church to be in the world.
Kingsley Okei
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love God's Generals. I read this book the first time in 2003 when I saw it with friend, I think. I read the book, and then went ahead to buy my own copy...read it again and again, until the pages all removed and went autonomous; and now, I've bought a new copy (I guard this one like life, though).

God's Generals shot some fire into my spirit as a young believer with a call into the ministry. I saw how ordinary men and women like John Alexander Dowie, John Lake, Smith Wigglesworth, Maria Woodwor
Karla
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book took my faith to another level. Life changing!
Brian
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book gives a short, but thorough description of the lives of 12 men and women who impacted the entire world for God, specifically in the realm of divine healing. The power and authority that God released to these men and women was nothing less than Awesome. Some of them, however, fell away from their divine call. Some used their God given gifts for their own glory and influence and they suffered much for those choices. What I love about this book is that it stretches me to ask God for more ...more
Justin Gilpin
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This should be a required book to read by every minister! Period.
Anonymous
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about the ups and downs of ministry for people anointed by God. The lives of these individuals and the things that God did through them is fascinating. Liardon does a great job presenting both their flaws and their successes. There is much insight to be gained for Christian readers to see how God uses people powerfully that devote themselves to Him. The stories themselves made this book hard to put down for me. Highly recommend.
Brandon Hartzler
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Book 5 Stars would recommend!
Aaron
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea the church Body had such a colorful historicity. This book deals with that history in the period of the late 19th century to the late 20th century. I don't know why we do not reference these people and the movements they were part of more often. How the past fades, the past fades in our memories.

I am most impressed with the people who have the least flaws. The people who seemed to truly seek God's will in their life for the entire span of their lives — they ran with patience.

John
Abraham Mathew
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Evangelical in me appreciated the book, but someone of a different denomination might not find it equally inspiring.
Jamere Spencer
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very inspirational in a time when the world needs hope. I really enjoyed the stories in this book and just how it created a desire within me to purse God more. Now if I can only apply what I have read.
Yemic
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
hmm, Where can i start.. I was really humbled and challenged by the stories of the great men and women. Faith that moved mountains, Healing miracles that shut critics up. Even when things were not going well and in front of opposition, this people still going. I was really painful to know that other people (Christians) who lacks understanding, without knowledge of what the power of the Holy spirit, were part of those persecuting them.

One must always stay connected to the holy spirit at all time
Beth Jackson- king
Loved it!

Loved reading about it these great men and women of God. The author is great but I just wish he offered less of his own opinions and trust that the reader could draw their own conclusions and gain spiritual insights without his own opinions. I wanted more info, more experiences, more info on their personal disciplines, and less commentary. I loved hearing of how each person approached God and their own journey. I learned a lot from this book. I also read the Healing Revivalist God's Gen
Jeff Carpenter
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This is an excellent book. Features 12 mini biographies of some of the most spiritual revival ministers in history. This book was not what I envisioned when I picked it up, it was much more. Indispensable to any library of religious history. Inspires me to go out and find out more about the people that are covered in this edition. The author is obviously well versed in his subject and has a writing style that flows very well. The only drawback to this book is that only a chapter is devoted to ea ...more
Thomas
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book chronicles the twelve very influential people Christian Church History that had sings and wonders manifested as part of their ministries. It is a GOOD read because it points out both their successes and their failures. It is a GREAT reference, that you will find yourself consulting again and again, as these names (like John G. Lake, Kathryn Kuhlman and John Alexander Dowie) are brought up by many other authors.

This book reveals keen insight into how the modern day church has arrived at
Breakthru International
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gods Generals made such an impact on me. It was inspiring and sad at the same time.

Looking at the lives of people who we sometimes elevate as superhuman, this book makes each individuals story real and transparent. They were ordinary people who had an encounter with an extraordinary God.

Some of the failures are still being repeated today but, for those who read this book with an open, teachable spirit their lives will be changed for good.
Ellie
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Really inspiring stories mixed with sloppy scholarship. In some sections only one external text was quoted, leading me to believe I could've read the quoted book instead. There is also a strange lack of comment about the early Pentecostal church's involvement with the Ku Klux Klan. It is usually cast in the light of "well, money is money" and that the leaders knew the KKK was wrong *while thinking they follow God!* but hey, they had to build the church. Had to drop it.
Shaidornell Swer
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is undoubtedly one of the greatest books of all time. Reading this book will, simply put, alter your life and set your heart on fire for God! The graphic biographical sketch of the lives of these great men and women of God is equivalent to a thousand sermons! Every born again Christian must read this book!
Art
Enjoyed reading about Success and Cried about the Failures.
God's calling is there and if we are called, we are equipped, however we fail when we don't rely and trust God. Simple as that. We, as people & humans, make things difficult.
Smith Wigglesworth, WoW! What an interesting story, Praise God for his wife, Polley!
Luke
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you ever want to learn about the Historical Great Christians that came before us and learn about their lives, successes and failures, you MUST read this book. I learned so much about the power of the Holy Spirit and what earnestly seeking Him and having a relationship with God looks like. Excellent book!
Jean Pierre
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book outlining the lives of some of God's Generals. It's not only a biographical work but one of life lessons for any person pursuing the ministry. This book will give you insight of the cost to have a miraculous ministry. I recommend this book to any believer or non believer that's interested in Church History or the Miraculous.

And7883
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

I couldn't put this down. Holy Spirit is all over this book and it is wonderful. I learned so much from these past men and women of God . After every chapter I found myself reflecting over my own personal walk with God and praying for his help and guidance. Plus the history is just fascinating! God is so good. Thank you for this book!
James
Aug 19, 2009 added it
A must read. Incredible life stories of heroes of the faith from *our time* (past century or so). Very encouraging and inspiring. This will undoubtedly expand your faith for what God wants to do through your life.
The-Evangelist
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I could have weep after reading this book. Thank God I'm a man. I must for every Minister of God. Let him that thinks he stand s be careful lest he falls.
Anthony Golden
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A strong drink of faith

I have just finished this book and am compelled to seek the face of Abba. I am refreshed and hungry. This book may not have the same effect on everyone, but, to those already hungry, it will increase.
Micah
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has moved into My Top Five as it is filled with wisdom. The stories of these men and women are so necessary as they speak into every area of the Christian life. I recommend it to everyone hungry for more of God.
B.J. Richardson
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
On the one hand, this book is amazingly inspiring and I have found myself praying recently things like, "Where is the God of Smith Wigglesworth? Or of Amy Semple McPherson?" It has encouraged me to stretch my faith and to believe more from God.

On the other hand, Roberts Liardon clearly has his biases and favorites. He skims over or rationalizes away some of the failures or sins of certain "generals" while harping on much more minor issues or foibles from "generals" he approves of far less. At ti
Ruth Ropper
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book, although quite focused on American revivalists with only a couple from the UK. Would be good to have more from other countries as well as more recent ones as well.
It gave a very interesting insight into a lot of well known names in the Christian arena over the last couple of centuries. It does not spare anything and shares they downfalls as well as their amazing teaching, miracles from God of healing and salvations.
The one thing I think it shows is that everyone is fallib
Paul
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Wonderful stories ... combined with comments from the author that are sometimes helpful and sometimes distracting. It's fuzzy how well researched the historical portions are, but the author makes a good attempt at portraying successes and disappointments. I re-realized how much evangelism was the focus of these "revivalists" and often via physical healing, especially since "renewal" amongst the Body has really been the only "move" in the past generation.
Curtis
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a trip! There are some intense stories found in these pages which are meant to encourage and inspire. While some may read these and balk I believe we can learn much from the experiences of those who have gone before us. It is my hope that both charismatics and skeptics alike will read books like these and consider what it would mean if the wonders experienced in these pages were truly from a loving God desiring to walk with and work through willing ordinary people.
Melissa
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book! I found myself intrigued by the lives of these men and women who accepted the call to ministry. Many of them gave up tremendous dreams to follow the ministry call.
  • John G. Lake: His Life, His Sermons, His Boldness of Faith
  • The Supernatural Ways of Royalty: Discovering Your Rights and Privileges of Being a Son or Daughter of God
  • When Heaven Invades Earth: A Practical Guide to a Life of Miracles
  • The Call (Final Quest, #2)
  • The Gift of the Blessing
  • Visions Beyond the Veil
  • Culture of Honor: Sustaining a Supernatural Environment
  • The Blood Covenant
  • Always Enough: God's Miraculous Provision Among the Poorest Children on Earth
  • The Ultimate Treasure Hunt: A Guide to Supernatural Evangelism Through Supernatural Encounters
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook

• The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Unshakeable Trust: Find the Joy of Trusting God at All Times, in All Things
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
“Never sway from what God has commanded you to do in the earth. No matter what your age, your generation has not passed until you exit the earth and enter heaven. So if God has commanded you to fulfill a commission, make it your utmost priority as long as you live.” 7 likes
“The lesson here is this: Do what God says to do, nothing more and nothing less. There is no game here. There is one move, and it belongs to God. Your job is to follow it.” 6 likes