Start by marking “Sorcery of Thorns” as Want to Read:
Sorcery of Thorns

Sorcery of Thorns

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  42,107 ratings  ·  8,381 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of An Enchantment of Ravens comes an imaginative fantasy about an apprentice at a magical library who must battle a powerful sorcerer to save her kingdom.

All sorcerers are evil. Elisabeth has known that as long as she has known anything. Raised as a foundling in one of Austermeer’s Great Libraries, Elisabeth has grown up among the
Published June 4th 2019 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Sorcery of Thorns, please sign up.
Margaret Rogerson Hi there! Sorcery of Thorns is intended for grades 9-12. It contains action-related violence and non-explicit kissing about on par with most young adu…moreHi there! Sorcery of Thorns is intended for grades 9-12. It contains action-related violence and non-explicit kissing about on par with most young adult books. Your sister might enjoy it if she's an advanced reader, but I recommend reading it yourself first to determine whether the content is appropriate for her.(less)

·  42,107 ratings  ·  8,381 reviews

Start your review of Sorcery of Thorns
chai ♡
Perhaps the cruelest and kindest thing a good book does is make you believe you live inside it for the space of a few hundred pages. That you are a part of something, part of its world, not just skating around the edges, too tied up in yourself to join in…and then it ends and the illusion winks out, like a snuffed flame, and you’re left marooned, adrift, your head chilled in its absence.

The real world takes a seat at the back, and Rogerson’s imaginary one holds center stage. Here where books are
Regan
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
strong start weak finish tbh
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I can't stop smiling. Margaret blows me away every time!

Sorcery of Thorns is equal parts whimsical, flirtatious, and totally hysterical, while still managing to deliver a gut-punch of feels on more than one occasion. This story is an absolute blast to read, and kept me thoroughly entertained all the way through.

First we have Elizabeth, a library apprentice of sorts. She's tall, fierce, yet has the gentlest of hearts. Time and time again, she charges headfirst into danger and drags us with her,
Margaret Rogerson
Nov 07, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hi, all! I don’t spend much time here (I view this as a place for readers, not me), but now that Sorcery of Thorns is appearing on people’s radars, I thought it would be a good opportunity to mention a couple of things.

Firstly: Sorcery is quite a different book than An Enchantment of Ravens, which may be helpful for readers to know in advance. Probably the best way to put it is that Enchantment is a fairy tale romance, while Sorcery is an epic fantasy. Sorcery does have a romance, but it’s a sub
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
She wasn’t a wielder of chains; she was a breaker of them. She was the library’s will made flesh.

I never do this, but I’m going to give you all a TL;DR for this review, just in case you’re in a hurry and need me to get the point across quickly: This is one of the best books I have read in my entire life, and if there is any single book I could beg you to purchase this year, it is Sorcery of Thorns.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
June Fairyloot Box! Well, here I am again with the same book 3 times! BUT, I'm trading in my green edition and keeping this stained Fairyloot Edition as well as the Purple Owlcrate edition. So it all worked out! Click the link under the picture to see the amazing goodies in this box!!

FAIRYLOOT GOODIES

June Owlcrate Box. Well, I already have the book but this one has a purple cover soo.. keep them both! =D Click on link below the pic to see the goodies.

OWLCRATE GOODIES

I made some bookmarks toda
Melanie

ARC provided by Simon & Schuster in exchange for an honest review.

“Knowledge always has the potential to be dangerous. It is a more powerful weapon than any sword or spell.”

I don’t know about you, but I feel like I’ve been looking for a story all about someone living in a library, surrounded by magical books, while also going on adventure after adventure, for my entire life. And I truly believe that not only did Margaret Rogerson give me that, she is giving the YA literature communit
Sabaa Tahir
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the YA Fantasy about libraries and living, breathing books that I didn't know I needed. Fell in love within like 20 pages and then ripped through the rest. Loved the characters, loved the ending, just loved it full stop. Silas was my favorite! Highly recommend.
 Teodora
5/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

“Most people grow out of fairy stories,” he said. “Why did you carry on believing, when the rest of the world did not?”
“What is the point of life if you don’t believe in anything?” she asked instead.

Do you want some thoughts on this book? Imma give you some thoughts on this book. I loved the hell out of it!

If you did not read this book, I tell you to do just that ASAP because I, too, have been sleeping on it for far too long and now I
Helena of Eretz ✰
PHENOMENAL.

Every criticism that I had with AEOR was fixed here... Instalove? Nope. The slowest of slow burns. Flat characters? Nada. All nuanced and well developed darlings. Nonexistent plot? More like a compelling and magical ride.

I LOVED THIS. Margaret Rogerson is well on her way to becoming a new favourite author of mine. This was a follow-up novel done RIGHT.

RTC!
Miranda Reads
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, owned
description

June's Reading Vlog Video is up! Click the link to see where this one ranks (along with all my other June books!
The Written Review

That cover is simply enchanting and the blurb sounds amazing!

I cannot wait for it to be released!

Update

FINALLY got around to reading it and it was every bit as amazing as I hoped!

I loved the fact that our main character was raised in a library and that she could speak to the books.

The magic system was totally out of this world and I was LIVING for it.

I al
jessica
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘for all the girls who found themselves in books.’

yaaassss! we stan a fantasy queen who both acknowledges AND writes stories for us bookworms. <3

i know i wont be the only reader who sees a little bit of themself in elisabeth; for being able to relate, on such a personal level, to her love of books, for seeing them as companions, and forever feeling at home in their company/in a library.

and this story is every bit deserving of having such a remarkable character. there is so much balance to t
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Guys, this book.....I WANT MORE.
This book is Howl’s Moving Castle’s cousin and I was LIVING throughout it.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-m-intrigued
Nooo! Nooo! Nooo! It cannot end like this! This book urgently needs a sequel. All those amazing characters already stole my heart and grew on me that’s why I didn’t want to let them go.

There are too many things to adore about this story starting with a librarian heroine, Elizabeth who better connects with the magical world of books instead of forming a relationship with real humans. ( I agree to that book cannot make you pissed off so much and devastatingly break your heart! Okay, I’m taking bac
Kat
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK HERE'S A BREAKDOWN:

stuff i liked:
-just a really, genuinely fun read tbh. i honestly can't think of the last YA fantasy book that made me yELL the way this one did
-silas, duh
-nathaniel and elisabeth's relationship (separately, they were nothing special. but together?? delightful). I thought that enemies to lovers was executed well enough (even if it waaaas kinda fast, but anyway) AND Nathaniel was snarky and mysterious without being a complete asshole, which is *oh* so rare

stuff i disliked:
-th
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(3.75) I haven't kept up with the new popular YA Fantasy but I decided to give this one a shot.

To be fair, I thought it was about fairies so... clearly I knew nothing about this.

Magical books, libraries, interesting enough story and characters. I didn't care much for the romance but let's be real, I rarely do and it wasn't overwhelming. The ending (well last quarter of the book) was weaker in my opinion but it was a light, quick and fun read.

If you usually enjoy YA Fantasy, give this one a shot!
Whitney Atkinson
THIS BOOK SAID TALL GIRL RIGHTS!!!! THIS BOOK SAID BISEXUAL RIGHTS!!!!!

Don't let this book fool you and let you think it's just another author trying to capitalize off of having the word "Thorns" in the title to appear like a Sarah J. Maas knock-off. This is my favorite book of 2019, and Sarah J. Maas should be SHAKING right now. I read this author's debut book, An Enchantment of Ravens, and hated it, so I was skeptical going into it. But I knew within the first chapter of this book that it was
Cindy Pham
I was wondering why I found myself underwhelmed throughout reading this book and I realize that it might be because I prefer Rogerson to write short, simple, romantic stories rather than trying to make a complex fantasy narrative. I appreciate the unique concept and world that she tried to convey, but I think there was a disconnect between that and the actual execution. I was aware of her intentions with the whimsical world building, snarky love interest, secretly soft demon, etc. but it didn’t ...more
Chloe
“Knowledge always has the potential to be dangerous. It is a more powerful weapon than any sword or spell”

This was one of my most anticipated releases of the year and I loved it! The writing, the characters, the setting, the banter, the romance - I pretty much loved everything about this! It didn't quite reach the full 5 stars for me, but I had the best time reading it and I'm now super interested in reading An Enchantment of Ravens!
Chelsea Humphrey
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Melanie
I'm so bummed, because I had a paper where I noted my favorite quotes and corresponding page numbers tucked into my hardcopy of this book, but I seem to have misplaced it. 😿 No matter, I will carry on and you will now know that I had so many quotes I loved from this book and there simply wasn't enough room here to include them.

Me, rushing to tell you all about this book:

description

Sometimes, I think the entire experience surrounding a book contributes to our giving it 5 stars, rather than just the story i
April (Aprilius Maximus)
REASONS TO READ THIS INCREDIBLE BOOK:

1. The MC is a badass, sword-wielding, book lover who grew up in a magical library.
2. The love interest is a bisexual sorcerer who gives off major sexy slytherin vibes
3. His best friend is a demon who sometimes turns into a cat.
4. There's an ace side character (it's not on page but is heavily implied)
5. The whole book is feminist AF
6. It's set in 1824 in an alternate world
7. Parsifal is the CUTEST cinnamon roll ever to exist.
8. Books can talk and can turn i
Arini
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

“Ink and parchment flowed through her veins. The magic of the Great Libraries lived in her very bones. They were a part of her, and she a part of them.”

I always thought booklice were a nuisance until I read this book, and Elisabeth made me wish I were one. Wouldn’t it be awesome to wield a power much like the one she possesses? This book is a much appreciated tribute to all book lovers in the world. But that’s exactly where the specialty ends. I see four and five star ratings everywh
Zainab
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
Since this is one of the most anticipated book of the year and not a lot of people have read it, I am going to keep this spoiler free.

The book started out great. We have our main character Elisabeth who is what most people would call 'innocent'. She isn't too smart- I mean I found her to be a bit too childish. Anyway, she's an orphan who works/lives in this Great Library and tries a bit too hard to impress her director.
Then something happens and she gets kicked out of the library and so this is
Warda
Jul 23, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know why I'm adding this to my TBR.
YA fantasy and I broke up a while ago and I'm reluctant to rekindle this relationship.

But then I hear this book is a book about books and I mean, what can I do? I am weak. I will listen to this kind of temptation.
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
THE REVIEW IS POSTED

"But there is always more than one way to see the world. Those who claim otherwise would have you dwell forever in the dark."

Wow. I haven't been moved by a book since ... I don't know ... months ago probably. This book was breathtaking. It was incredibly beautiful and so different than what I have ever read. What a fresh breath of air! and I even bought another copy of this book for my friend's birthday present and I had given it to her yesterday and when her fa
Hamad
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

🌟 I do believe in second chances and I give every author 2 chances before deciding that their style is or isn’t for me. I did not like Margaret’s debut AEoR and I predicted that its rating will decrease upon its release and that really happened. It has an average rating of 3.66 now. But enough about that book because it was a standa
megs_bookrack
Synopsis:

...imaginative fantasy about an apprentice at a magical library...

I'm like...

Purchased.

Update:

Who am I that I have owned this since release day and haven't gotten to it yet?

Oh yeah, that's totally me.

a n i s s a
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-release
She has done it again!! I loved An Enchantment of Ravens, Margaret’s debut, so I was so excited to read this and it did not disappoint! This was such a wild ride - beautiful writing, an epic story and charming characters (I can’t decide who my favourite is).
C.G. Drews
I loved all the elements of this one (sentient books; magical libraries; broody sorcerers; secretly Soft™ demons) but the actual execution of it all didn't click for me. It felt like the Clockwork Angel series come again (Nathaniel and Elisabeth have the same personalities/arcs as Will and Tessa too) and overall I am slightly sleepy.

• Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
Margaret writes fantasy for young adult readers. She lives near Cincinnati, Ohio, and when she's not reading or writing she enjoys drawing, watching documentaries, making pudding, gaming, and exploring the outdoors in search of toads and mushrooms.

Articles featuring this book

The young adult genre continues to lead literature in embracing new voices, championing all types of diversity, and, well, just really...
“It was always wise to be polite to books, whether or not they could hear you.” 177 likes
“When terrible things have happened to you, sometimes the promise of something good can be just as frightening.” 156 likes