Start by marking “The Philosopher's War” as Want to Read:
The Philosopher's War

The Philosopher's War

(The Philosophers Series #2)

The second book in the thrilling series that began with The Philosopher’s Flight finds Robert Canderelli Weekes as a rookie Rescue and Evacuation flier on the front lines of World War I in France. He came to save lives, but has no idea how far he’ll have to go to win the war.

Published July 16th 2019 by Simon Schuster

Phrynne
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
The second book in this excellent series and it was just as good as the first.

Robert leaves his education behind and heads off to take his part in this author's wonderfully imagined alternative World War One. Wanting to save people rather than kill them Robert joins Rescue and Evacuation where he uses his flying skills to bring injured soldiers out of the fighting zones. Note that his flying skills are magical. No plane is required.

I love Tom Miller's imagination and his expertly created steam
Betsy
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Out of order, but still good!

Update 7/16/19--Happy publication day!

Confession time--I committed a cardinal sin of book reading.

I picked up book 2 in this series before reading book 1. Luckily, it worked out pretty well this time. Most of the background info I needed was provided, and I did a bit of light googling to help me figure things out a bit more quickly.

If you're new to this series, as I was, sigilry is the type of magic practiced in this world, and it's mainly practiced by women. Sigilr
Ian
The Philosopher's Flight was brilliant. One of the most interesting and original novels I've read in a good long while. It followed Robert Weekes as he enters Radcliffe College with the goal of being the first male to ever join the R&E Service as a flying medic rescuing wounded soldiers in France. The Philosopher's Flight ended with him graduating and being accepted into R&E.

The Philosopher's War begins with him landing in France and joining the 5th Division, a motley group of misfits a
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/07/23/...

Tom Miller’s debut The Philosopher’s Flight was one of the best gems I found in 2018 and in my opinion it’s still tragically under-rated and under-read. Somehow it flew under a lot of radars, but after the brilliance that was this sequel, you can bet I’ll be jumping up and down, telling everyone about this series every chance I get. My God, this book! I can’t remember the last time I read something that affected my emotion
Bam
*4.5 stars rounded up!

Tom Miller takes us this time to an alternative history of WWI in which the flyers, including Robert, perform rescue missions to bring out the wounded on the battlefronts of Europe. If you are not familiar with this series, when I say 'flyers,' they are not in any kind of plane but fly using sigils and a mixture of powders. Robert is one of a very few male flyers in this service and is the brunt of lots of jibes and discrimination so of course he has to keep proving himself
Jypsy
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize that The Philosopher's War is a second book. I think reading the first would have helped my understanding. It's a fast entertaining read. The history of the world is different, and it's definitely got a steampunk vibe. There's action and drama and enough to keep you reading until the end. The characters are smart and engaging. A good read overall. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Amanda
If I could give this book more than five stars I would. It stole my sleep and kept me up two nights in a row. I sincerely hope there will be more, even as I acknowledge that this was a very good place to end the series. Darn it. Thanks for the trip.
Marzie
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-net-galley
Tom Miller's The Philosopher's Flight was one of the most refreshing books I read in 2018. He has followed that debut with a triumphant second novel that continues the bildungsroman account of Robert Canderelli Weekes, a nineteen-year-old sigilrist and rare male practitioner of the magical art called philosophy. Robert's Radcliffe dreams have come to fruition and he's become the first male member of the US Sigilry Rescue and Evacuation Corps. Let me assure you, it is his worst possible nightmare ...more
Mike
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
War is always stupid and tragic, but I've always thought of World War I as particularly stupid and tragic, possibly because both of my grandmothers lost brothers in it. I wouldn't normally read a book set in WWI, as a result, but I enjoyed the first book in this series so much that I couldn't pass it by. (It was the best book I read in 2017.)

This one didn't disappoint. Here we have Robert Weekes again, 19 years old, sole male flyer in the Rescue and Evacuation Corps (in a world where women have
Kathy Roaleen
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an adventure!

Warning! When you open this book, you will find it nearly impossible to put down. It's an alternative history that turns your perched upside down. A cross between a Harry Potter magic, and a suffrage age novel. All characters are engaging and often humorous. It's simply a rollicking good read. Have fun!
Susan
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FABULOUS! I absolutely loved this alternative history! Magic, great characters, jealousy, valor. All the makings of a great story! I highly recommend this book.
Annie
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

The Philosopher's War is the second book in Tom Miller's alt-history WW1 timeline novel. Released 16th July by Simon & Schuster, it's 416 pages and available in hardcover, audio, and ebook formats.

I reviewed the first installment last year and admit to some trepidation on reading this, the second. I was afraid it couldn't possibly live up to my remembered opinions about the quality and depth of the writing. I worried needlessly; this book is
Tonstant Weader
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Philosopher’s War is an eagerly-awaited sequel to The Philosopher’s Fight. It picks up after Robert graduates from Radcliffe and heads off to World War I where soldiers’ lives are wasted by profligate generals determined to win at all cost. As the only man in the R&E, he flies to the front to rescue and evacuate the wounded. The experience bonds him to his fellow R&E fliers in ways that people on the outside cannot understand.

Meanwhile, General Blandings who leads the rescuers is org
Koeur
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Publishing Date: July 2019

Publisher: Simon and Schuster

ISBN: 9781476778181

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 3.4/5

Publisher’s Description: Thanks to a stunning flying performance and a harrowing shootout in the streets of Boston, Robert Canderelli Weekes’s lifelong dream has come true: he’s the first male allowed to join the US Sigilry Corps’s Rescue and Evacuation service, an elite, all-woman team of flying medics.

Review: This novel follows in the footsteps of ” Philosopher’s Flight” continuing with the lif
Annie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The adventures of Robert Canderelli Weekes continue in The Philosopher’s War, by Tom Miller, sequel to The Philosopher’s Flight. After training hard in Texas, Robert has finally achieved his dream: active duty in the Sigil Corps as a Rescue & Evacuation hoverer, just like his legendary mother. Traditionally, only women are members of the Sigil Corps; it’s believed that men just aren’t talented enough or strong enough to handle the work. (There’s a lot of very satisfying gender reversals in t ...more
Brad
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Miller's first book - The Philosopher's Flight. The Philosopher's War picks up where Flight ended.

"Robert Weekes is now a flier for the US Sigilry Corps’s Rescue and Evacuation service, an elite, all-woman team of flying medics - the first male allowed to join. He ships to France to serve in the final days of WW I. But he'll have to make decisions about loyalty and love to help end the war."

I would consider this a historical fiction/magical realism. The world of empirical philosophy crea
Steve
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a solid 4.5 - great use of historical events to tie in the narrative of this book. I really like the main characters in this book and am hopeful Tom will write a 3rd to continue the storyline.
Kelsey (Kelseylovesbooks)
DNF at 40%. Just not getting into this one.
Sue
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25. What a debut! Alternative history with some fun characters. Hard to put down and it definitely has an unusual story line.
Joelle Boudreaux
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Super good! The only reason I dropped a star is because it was difficult for me to keep up with all the characters and who was who. But still very much worth the read!!
Ariel Magid
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read

It’s a good read you can easily get lost in. Some of the philosophy was a bit murky to be and I still don’t have a clear vision of if. But a fun book overall!
Amanda Powers
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Debut Novel!

This is not the sort of book I would normally enjoy, but I am glad I picked it up. Somewhere in between science fiction and historical fiction, this story stays with you. The characters are likeable, written deeply, and I cheered for Robert until the last page. There is enough action in this novel to keep it a page Turner, but not so much that it comes off shallow. I'd love to see further novels featuring Robert Weekes and company. Highly recommend!!
Teresa Stenlund
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD! I loved this book, however, I wouldn't say I loved it more than the first. It was still exciting and a great read. Miller definitely kept expanding the world of Empirical Philosophy, and it didn't feel diluted at all. I'm so excited for the third book in this series... I'm mad I finished this book already because now I have to wait longer than I would like for the next one!
Jill Elizabeth
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are such incredible books - Miller's imaginative recasting of history into a female-centric world in which women rule the branch of the magical armed forces is brilliant. I don't normally read war stories - and this is, above all else, a story about the brutality of World War I - and I had a tough time with the heavy emphasis on the warfare. But Miller does such an incredible job bringing his world and his characters to life, that I found myself engaged almost despite myself. If I enjoyed ...more
Rachel Stansel
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This world is so beautifully developed and it's people so amazingly relatable. Despite the fantasy that is sigilry and the R&E division, I just didn't want the story to end. Robert is a remarkable character, behaving like I would like think we all would strive to. I cant recommend this series strongly enough. But read slowly. Savor the story because you will be sad when it is over.

Full disclosure- I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Matt Drogemuller
A fun read

The book was well-written, imaginative, and fun. The pace of the book was good, but did not sacrifice the kind of detail that adds richness and depth to the story and its characters. I look forward to the author’s next book.
Bryan Cruz
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

I read so much so fast, that my heart sank when I realized the book was done. This book definitely left me wanting more. Great job, Mr. Miller!
Jonathan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-recs
Great concept and execution.
Kend
Look, I know that this is a very different book from its predecessor, The Philosopher's Flight , and that that first book won my heart and soul in no time flat. The Philosopher's War takes everything we loved about the first book--schools of magic, arcane fantastical science-y arts, a dash of danger and a dollop of a good time--and flips it all on its ear. By all rights, then, I should probably feel an equally different feeling toward this book--but you know what? I don't. I freakin' love this ...more
Allen Adams

There are a lot of pitfalls when it comes to choosing to dig into a literary series. The truth is that a lot of these series, while perfectly OK, are just that – OK. And if you’re OK with OK, well … OK. But if you’re someone who wants something more, someone who is looking for a much richer experience than you can get from the standard-issue sci-fi or fantasy series, taking the plunge can be tough.

Tom Miller’s latest is “The Philosopher’s War.” It’s the se
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Vigil (Verity Fassbinder #1)
  • The Sisters Mederos (Tales of Port Saint Frey, #1)
  • The Uploaded
  • The Witness for the Dead (The Goblin Emperor, #2)
  • Hope for the Best (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10)
  • Starlings
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • They Promised Me the Gun Wasn't Loaded
  • Death in Kew Gardens (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #3)
  • Arabella The Traitor of Mars (Adventures of Arabella Ashby, #3)
  • Plaguewalker
  • Deadly Wedding (Deadly, #2)
  • A Son of the Middle Border
  • The Book of Peril (The Last Oracle #2)
  • Triquetra
  • Insistence of Vision
  • Runes of the North
  • The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
Tom Miller grew up in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. He graduated from Harvard University and went on to earn an MFA in creative writing from the University of Notre Dame and an MD from the University of Pittsburgh. While writing The Philosopher's Flight, he worked as a travel guidebook writer, EMT, and college English instructor. He's now an emergency room doctor in Madison, Wisconsin. The Philosopher's F ...more

The Philosophers Series (2 books)
  • The Philosopher's Flight