Start by marking “A Squatter in London” as Want to Read:
A Squatter in London

A Squatter in London

Published April 26th 2018 by Irene Pylypec

To ask other readers questions about A Squatter in London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Squatter in London

Start your review of A Squatter in London
Al
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2019
Memoirs appeal to me because they allow you to view the world and the situations another person experiences from a different point of view, helping you to understand what life is like for someone else in a better way. Travel memoirs allow you to vicariously experience someone else’s travels, getting an idea of what a place where you’ve never been is like or, if you’ve visited that place, comparing your experience to what the author of the travel memoir experienced and hopefully understand the ...more
Mari LivTollefsonCarlson
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Squatter in London by Irene Pylypec is a captivating account of a young woman’s experience as a traveller – not a tourist.

Shortly after college, Irene saves enough to fulfill a long time dream of vacationing in London. A planned three week trip becomes almost a year, after she falls in love with London and finds work. Finally, entangled in a squatter’s household, her boyfriend back in Ireland, she’s ready to go back to Canada.

Irene’s personable tone brings London to life. Not only are popular
Lee Hall
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable well written memoir about a young lady who embarks on a travelling adventure...

I found myself completely immersed in what is a diary style account of Irene Pylypec's travels from Canada to the U.K in the 70's. Although she spends some of her time travelling around the country her residence in London is the focus as she lives a free spirited life of squatting while experiencing everything there is to experience of the times.

In this account she befriends many colourful characters who
Joseph
May 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: round-2
Page 9 (C1 first sentence) "sheepherding" should be "shepherding"… "by friends COMMA Winston and Adam COMMA while"…"it might just have been” should be "it might have been"…my friend COMMA Emily COMMA and me…otherwise, the introduction to the story interested me for an autobiographical perspective, especially about a time and place I was curious about...aside from a misspelling in the first sentence and the other writing errors, the story read like a journal or diary depicting the narrator's ...more
Nadine Goman
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read!

Our book club members all liked Irene’s book and were delighted when she met us via Skype at our meeting. A great first book. We enjoyed her youthful escapades and it brought back memories of our own. We were reminded of the UK of the day (1970’s) and history of the places she visited. “Kids” in their 20’s today might be surprised by the stories of this adventurer.
Amy Shannon
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible Story

I enjoyed reading Pylypec's A Squatter in London, as this is the first time I've read this author's work. It more than just a memoir, it's an adventure. The perspective is from the self-proclaimed "former" squatter, who finds an interesting adventure traveling across London. It's a well-written, well-documented memoir showing the ups and downs and unpredictability of where the journey would take her. I look forward to reading more by this author.
lorrainecampbell
Jan 25, 2019

• Secrets To Being Amazing: What confident people don't do
  • The MisreadBible: Genesis
  • Always and Never: 20 Truths for a Happy Heart
  • Victim Three (Detectives Seagate and Miner Mystery, #9)
  • The Golden Age Of Fucking Everything
  • The Nudge Man (Harrison Vaughan #1)
  • Prediction: Big Data, big danger
  • Good Morning, Mr. Dalton: A Novella
  • Ants In My Blood
  • The Perfect Culture
  • Dakota Burn (Leine Basso #8)
  • Glimpse, Memoir of a Serial Killer
  • Wergild: A Heartwarming Tale of Coldblooded Vengeance
  • Shady Park Panic
  • The Grave Digger
  • The Final Life of Nathaniel Moon (Middle Falls Time Travel #4)
  • The Father
  • Bury The Bodies (Detective Solomon Gray #4)
Irene suffers from Peter Pan Syndrome, but she’s OK with that. An avid reader since early childhood, Irene daydreamed of travel to foreign lands while tending sheep under the expansive living skies of the Canadian prairie.
Passionate about travel, she caught the travel bug in the mid-seventies when she backpacked solo throughout the UK and Ireland. She’s a firm believer that to truly understand