Start by marking “The Narrows” as Want to Read:
The Narrows

The Narrows

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  48 ratings  ·  12 reviews
“I can show you how to enter the Narrows to find what you seek.”

Oliver and his friends have returned to their hometown of Shumard, Texas for the funeral of their close friend Noah. They each grapple with the loss in their own ways, trying to understand the strange circumstances of their friend’s unexpected death.

While visiting the site where the body was found, Oliver stum
Published October 23rd 2018 by Independently published

really liked it 4.00  ·

Calvin Park
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Narrows by Travis M. Riddle is a story that mixes Stranger Things with a more modern setting, older characters, and deep pain for those characters. It’s an interesting read that definitely fits in the slightly spooky holiday reads category.

As always with Riddle’s work, you won’t find simple, flat characters here. The protagonists here are well drawn and believable. What’s more they each—especially Oliver, the main character—struggle with difficulties, pain, questions of friendship and loss.
Jordan
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
*4.5
What a fantastic story! Once again, if the plot and writing style somehow aren't enough to grab you, then the characters most definitely will.

Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

The Narrows is a spooky little horror story that combines a myriad of components to create a compelling, imaginative, and highly entertaining story. This is a great book to read for the Halloween and holiday reading period, as it has a wonderfully mysterious atmosphere that pervades the entire book as we
KJ Parliament
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to the author. It is exciting and written in such a way that 20-somethings will identify greatly with the characters.
Miriam
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ella (The Story Collector)
Oliver, Sophie and Davontae have returned to their home town of Shumard, Texas for the funeral of their friend, Noah. Each are dealing with the shock and loss in their own way, but things take an unexpected turn when Oliver gets a glimpse of a world parallel to their own. Visited by a dark being known as the Knave, Oliver soon finds himself dragged into a chilling adventure and questioning what really happened to Noah.

First things first, I have to say I adore the cover of this book. It’s a beaut
Nikhil
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for an honest review

The Narrows by Travis M Riddle is a short and enjoyable supernatural mystery/horror novel with engaging and interesting characters

In The Narrows, a group of friends has returned to their hometown for the funeral of an old friend. They reminisce and catch up with old acquaintances, but the main character sees or hears a number of disturbing things that cast doubt on the circumstances of his friend’s death, and becomes e
Kyle Dougherty
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbrindr
“Like Stranger Things but with adults. Also Mario Kart.” 5/5

This is a book about friendships as you age, grief, and a hidden supernatural world. This book really nailed all of these areas. I honestly would have read a version of this book without the supernatural elements, the other parts feel that strong. The author's description of the world of the Narrows just adds that much more.

The story takes place around the main character Oliver as him and his friends gather back in their hometown to mou
Jenna Jaco
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: precious-babies
Do you like suburban fantasy horror about friendship and grief?

You will now!

First off, it's amazing Riddle crams all of that into such a short book. The fantasy and horror genres both have a reputation for bloated narrative in pursuit of being "epic" -- something Riddle expertly avoids in The Narrows. This book is an exercise in restraint; the story feels distilled to its most potent and emotionally powerful components. I never thought I'd describe a story that involves this much goo as "elegant
Tim
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
An altogether enjoyable tale mostly about friendship and its different forms and intricacies. The thing that stands out in this book, as most other reviewers have touched on, is its characters. By the end of the book they are all wonderfully fleshed out and feel very real. There was one point where I initially questioned their combined motivation but reflected on their actions up to that point and happily accepted the situation.

What's somewhat uncharacteristic for me in a book is that I enjoyed
Tim Simmons
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed The Narrows. It manages so much in relatively few pages. Riddle's ability to create interesting and believable characters is amazing. I cared about Oliver, Sophie and Davontae from the opening pages. The horror elements in the story are balanced, they blend naturally with the poignant internal struggles Oliver experiences and the heart-warming interactions he has with his friends.

I wouldn't miss this because horror "isn't your thing." You will be shaken more by what the book
Michael
I heard about this on reddit. The book was overall a nice story. Would recommend for a quick read. The story has a stranger things vibe.

Some little things bothered me as I read. The introduction of the characters felt too long, with way too many details. Wasn't sure when the meat was gonna come and almost gave up at one point. I ventured on and when it did take off I couldn't put the book down. Then the book came full circle and went back into too much detail during the closing.
Patrick
Samantha Merritt
Feb 19, 2019
Wolfhunter140
Dec 13, 2018
TRAVIS M. RIDDLE lives with his pooch in Austin, TX, where he earned his bachelor’s degree in English Writing & Rhetoric at St. Edward’s University. His work has been published in award-winning literary journal the Sorin Oak Review.