Start by marking “Jane Austen: Her Heart Did Whisper” as Want to Read:
Jane Austen: Her Heart Did Whisper

Jane Austen: Her Heart Did Whisper

In a time of formal dances, courtyard courtships, and strict ideas about a woman's role in the world, Jane Austen looked at the England around her and created unforgettable art. Before she was the beloved author of Pride and Prejudice and other classic novels, Jane Austen was a young woman wrestling with society's expectations and challenges of the heart. Her own story

Published August 1st 2018 by Graphic Universe ™ (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Austen

Start your review of Jane Austen: Her Heart Did Whisper
Emma
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Stars

This short graphic novel focuses on Jane Austen and her rumored relationship with Thomas LeFroy. Since we don't know a lot about what really went down between the two, it was nice to see how this author decided to tell this story. Now I so want to rewatch Becoming Jane , so that I can experience the beauty that is that movie again.
Anyway, this was a good read. I just wish it was a little bit longer.
Kirk
This graphic novel seemed like a streamlined version of Becoming Jane.
Eileen (BookCatPin)
Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite classics yet I've not given much thought to Jane Austen the author until I had a chance to read this graphic novel. I loved what I learned about this timeless author.

The illustrations in Jane Austen: Her Heart Did Whisper were easy to follow. The simple style sets it apart from the coloured graphic novels we usually see. It's refreshing. The illustrator was able to convey all the emotions and feelings with very little words. We see very clearly Jane's
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
An Illustrated Speculation of Jane Austen’s Relationship with Tom Lefroy

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Graphic Novel

SYNOPSIS: A reimagining of Jane Austen’s life with a focus on her relationship with her “Irish friend,” Tom Lefroy. Geared towards a younger audience, this graphic novel shares a little of Jane Austen’s childhood and family life, her experiences with romance, and the beginning of her writing career. Accompanying this short tale are black and white images in
Martina
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jane Austen is one of my favourite writers, so when I find new books or graphic novel about her I can't help but buy them! This one is no exception, I've been meaning to read it for months.
I liked very much the illustrations and I enjoyed the story. Unfortunetely, I found it too short. I would have loved it to be a bit longer.
Anyway, it focuses a lot on her "encounter" with Tom Lefroy and the consequences of it for her own career. I've always been a great admirer of her strenght, nonconformist
Lauren Salisbury
This was a very simple book both in style and story. Though it touches on the relationship between Jane Austen and her sister Cassandra, the central narrative is her relationship with Tom Lefroy. The black ink outline drawings reinforce the confessional diary/epistolary narration and is a good match for Austen's voice.
Julie
Picked this up on a whim at the library. It wasn't awful, but the art is very simple and there's not a whole lot of depth to the story. In addition, it's a story fabricated from very little information about an actual person - so all I can imagine is teens (or whoever) reading this and carrying this story with them whenever they think of Jane Austen.

Also, a minor gripe, but the historical write-up at the end was full of typos.
Julie
I wish the book had been in color rather than black and white, just because I always envision Austen's world as full of color and emotion. That being said, the artwork by Manuela Santoni is excellent, and it captures Jane's energetic, spirited nature and the unique qualities she had for a woman of her era. I especially loved Jane's inner dialogue about reading and writing:

"I was always slipping into our father's office at night... to read in secret. In books, I could find freedom from life's
Eden
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
2019 bk 389. A lovely graphic novel detailing episodes in the life of Jane Austen. The artwork is reflective of the era, unlike those graphic novels that try to use the artwork of another time period and leave the reader feeling jarred. The story of Jane Austen is the story of a woman who both stayed within the guidelines of a regency area woman and at the same time tested those bounds and exceeded them. Ms Austen is such a positive role model for many women and girls around the world, this ...more
Ana
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Black and white graphic novel of pieces of Jane Austen's life, including a what could have been with Tom Lefoy. Jane was asked her sister Cassandra to burn all the letters related to him, so we only have speculation on that relationship. The lack of colors made the story kind of sad (which it is), but it's still worth reading if you are a JA fan.
Piyali
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A glimpse of Jane and when her heart whispered.
This graphic novel for the middle grade age level tells the story of Jane Austen's relationship with Tom Lefroy, but unfortunately doesn't share much more about her life. The writing felt stilted, but something may have been lost in translation.

I received an ARC from NetGalley.
Nathan Albright
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-2019
It is little surprise that a woman who has written some of the most enduring works of fiction in the English language should attract the attention of those who want to turn her life into romantic material. This imaginative graphic novel seeks to make Jane Austen into the sort of character that a contemporary person--especially a girl--would find cool. Fortunately, it also includes a serious historical note to provide at least an introduction to the life and times of Jane Austen for those who ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Jane Austen: Her Heart Did Whisper by Manuela Santoni, 95 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL. Graphic Universe (Lerner), 2016.

Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: PG; Violence: G.

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

This is the story of Jane Austen’s family dynamics, the discovery of her writing talents, and her romantic experiences. This graphic novel hinges on the axis of her relationship with Mr. Lefroy, who enters Jane’s life as an arrogant character. Jane falls in love with
Audrey
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
So, I came across this book at work when I was looking through a box sent to me to preview. I am a librarian - the YA and cataloging librarian to be exact; however, I am also currently the Children's librarian for eight weeks while my coworker is on maternity leave - and this book caught my interest (I have a deep love of Classics and their authors). It wasn't a bad read, but it wasn't what I was expecting for Jane freaking Austen. I mean, this book prompted me to research Jane Austen AND Tom ...more
Caitlin
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I received a finished copy from Thomas Allen & Son in exchange for an honest review.

Review originally posted on my blog, Turning Pages.

I am such a huge Jane Austen fan. I adore her books and the film/TV adaptations. I find her history interesting. So when I heard about a graphic novel that’s similar to the film about her life, Becoming Jane, I needed to review it for you.

I adore the quirky and cute art style of this graphic novel. It’s all in black and white, which is
Ambur
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well this was absolutely delightful! The artwork is fairly straightforward with bold black lines, and the story is intriguing and perfect for any Austen fan!

Told as if Jane is writing a letter to her sister, Cassandra, this graphic novel reveals to the reader how Jane’s passion for reading and writing grew. Part memoir and part coming-of-age/first love story, this wonderful graphic novel all about Jane Austen speculates how Jane ultimately chose to not get married and how her inspiration may
Nancy
This graphic novel tells the life story of British novelist Jane Austen (1775-1817) through the medium of spare black-and-white manga-like illustrations and accompanying text (translated from Italian into English). Through letters she wrote to her sister Cassandra, the narrative begins at the end of Jane’s life with “Do you know where the line is between fiction and the real world?” and winds its way back to Jane’s childhood, against the backdrop of a time in which women had few rights in ...more
Rachel
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short graphic novel, mainly about the tumultuous time when Jane meets Tom LeFroy. Not much is known about this time because Jane really wanted it to be private, and it sounds like, erased from paper. Jane decides that she 'wrote' their romance in her head making it more than it was. She decides to be able to do what she wants (write), then she needs to say no to his proposal. This was a pretty bold move for a woman of her time period with no way to for sure earn an income, and property is ...more
Amanda
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always find a bittersweetness when I read about Jane Austen's life. I feel a sort of kinship with her. I think the way she chose to live her life - especially during that time - was courageous. I love that she desired more for her life and stuck by her principles and desires. However, it must have been lonely and, perhaps, scary at times, as well. I hope above all that she found true happiness. This was an interesting retelling of her story. I think the author and illustrator did a fine job of ...more
Sharni Benson
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I never knew any of this about Jane Austen and it makes me really appreciate her work.
Still not my genre, but I appreciate it.

The illustrations are simplistic but you can tell the difference between each character. And I love pages 38 and 39. I flipped between them so many times because the comparison was so powerful.

This graphic novel could be used as a compliment to a class studying one of Jane Austen's works.
Kristina
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5

Her Heart Did Whisper is of course in reference to Elizabeth’s thoughts in Pride and Prejudice. Oh Mr. Darcy... The black and white art didn’t bother me as it did seem to add to the wistful and dreamy elements of her life. Unfortunately, it just was so short and rushed. I wanted it to be in more depth, but it felt very impersonal.

And if you know me, Jane Austen is my girl. So we’re still cool despite this bummer of a book...
Dakota Morgan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think this is historical fiction about the one romance that we know of in Jane Austen's life. But the text never really makes it clear, which is strange because it places the rest of the biographical elements in question. The black-and-white art is flowy and romantic and not particularly exciting. The best part was the all-text endnote featuring a true biography of Jane and her works. The rest is merely passable fluff.
Maggie Librarian
This graphic novel will be good for reluctant readers to pick up a nonfiction book. There are very few words on the page, illustrations are all done in dark ink. Gives you the briefest biographical information about Jane Austen, her young life, love of reading, beginning of writing, her short engagement, and then a mention of her long writing career. it was a very quick read, and not boring, but definitely lacks in depth.
Nancy
Feb 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you read my reviews you know I'm not especially fond of graphic novels. I was curious how this nonfiction topic would be covered. All black & white illustration. The mother's expression seems always mean and angry. I wasn't really impressed. I was grateful for the notes at the end that filled in some of what was left out.
Story_Girl
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a little bit of fun for Jane Austen fans. It is a biography told in graphic novel form - what a novel idea! But it is a little bit silly in places and if you don’t already know a little something about Jane’s life, it could be a little confusing. But it’s main problem is that is is too short! I particularly liked the portrayal of Jane and Cassandra as children, it was very relatable.
Donna
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A black and white graphic novel with sparse information about Jane Austen

I didn't love this one. The artwork was too blocky for my taste. I've read some Jane Austen but knew little specifics about the author going into this book. And other than learning that she had a love that she grew tired of, I feel like I know very little coming out.
Katelyn
Enjoyable, brief graphic novel of Jane Austen's life, the restrictions placed on her as a genteel woman and her great loves: reading and writing. Takes some liberties to fill in unknowns, including inaccuracies such as Jane writing to (and kissing) a man she admires, despite the note in the back stating that women could not write to men unless they were engaged.
Jenna
A bit simple but a nice introduction that drew me in. Some of the line art was a bit too minimal and many of the characters looked alike (and Tom, in some instances, looked downright fiendish rather than devil-may-care). Wonder if kids know who Jane Austen was...
Sesana
It's a bit short, so it felt kind of rushed. And I didn't love the ending, that essentially implied that, really, Austen had been pining after this guy all of her life. Unnecessary in general, and it just didn't follow from that way the romance had been written up to that point.

• No Ivy League
  • Evonne Goolagong
  • Alice: From Dream to Dream
  • David Attenborough
  • The Crossover
  • The American Dream? A Journey on Route 66 Discovering Dinosaur Statues, Muffler Man, and the Perfect Breakfast Burrito: a Graphic Memoir
  • Le ragazze nello studio di Munari
  • Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale
  • Hicotea (Nightlights #2)
  • By Night, Vol. 1
  • Kiss Number 8
  • Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: A Graphic Novel: A Modern Retelling of Little Women
  • Just Peachy: Comics About Depression, Anxiety, Love, and Finding the Humor in Being Sad
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.