Start by marking “Passport Control” as Want to Read:
Passport Control

Passport Control

Miriam Gil knows little about Israel. Her father won’t talk about his life there or the brother he left behind when he came to Canada. Hurt and angry when he tells her to move out to make room for his new girlfriend, she enrolls in an Israeli university. She falls in love with Guy, a former combat soldier who dreams of peace.
Miriam is caught off guard when her visa and p
Published August 24th 2018 by S & H Publishing, Inc.

Start your review of Passport Control
Gila Green
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: passport-control
This book started as a short story in a writing class when I was pregnant with my fourth child. It got under people's skin even then, which prompted me to expand it. Soon it was a novella, a 100 pages.

As time passed, it became a novel but it remained explosive as it was when it was only a dozen pages scribbled out between nursing sessions with my daughter.
Passport Control started as a story in my head loosely based on an experience I had myself while studying at Haifa University decades ago, a
David Pezza
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Green offers a unique and riveting journey of a young women transitioning between different worlds. Miriam Gil is alienated by her father in Canada and opts for a year abroad at the University of Haifa in Israel. Once she arrives, her entire world begins to crumble around her. The politics and violence between jewish and Arab Israelis and revelations about her own family’s history challenges Miriam while she discovers Israel’s stark and historic beauty.

Green presents this tumultuous
Daniel Ford
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel. I kept thinking it would make an excellent play. It will also make you very hungry!
Miryam
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I realty enjoyed Passport Control not least because I teach at the University of Haifa which is where Green's protagonist, Miriam, lands when she arrives in Israel. Miriam's story was very moving. Her pain and needs were palpable and often heart breaking. I love literature about the insider-outsider tension and the novel captured this really well. This is a well told story about a young woman searching for her place in the world, within her family, and trying to put together the pieces of her id ...more
Pinar Tarhan
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Passport Control (aff.link). It was interesting to follow the (mis)adventures of Miriam. She is certainly an engaging and relatable protagonist. Usually, when I read first-person POVs, I’m left wondering what it would be like to get in the head of other characters. I’m more into omniscient storytelling in both what I read and write. But Miriam delivered. I didn’t feel the need to know the inner workings of other characters’ minds.

This is not to say the novel doesn’
Andrea
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not very well versed in Jewish and Middle Eastern culture and politics. And while some of the historically impactful events the author refers to throughout this book were familiar to me, I'm relieved to say that my general lack of cultural awareness did not hinder my enjoyment of Passport Control in the least. In fact, it was quite easy to fall in love with the story.

From the first few pages, I found myself immersed in Miriam Gil's life - I wanted to comfort her, guide her, warn her to tak
Ondine Sherman
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The vivid characters have stayed with me and the writing is superb. It brings up many issues within Israel in a way that makes the reader consider and think critically. Looking forward to reading more by Gila.
Julie Gray
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: israeli-fiction
Passport Control is highly entertaining and very readable which is about the best review one can leave behind for a book. I carted it around with me everywhere for three days and got back to it the minute I could. I am usually more of a literary book hound, one who frequently chooses from the bestseller lists, so Passport Control is not my usual fare, but I'm very glad I read it and made short work of it. Green plunges headlong into the story and never lets you go. There is never a dull moment o ...more
Aug 04, 2019
Clare Favara
Jun 05, 2019
Stacey
Sep 12, 2019
Gila Green is the author of novel-in-stories White Zion and two adult novels Passport Control and King of the Class. She has published dozens of short stories and articles in literary magazines and anthologies. Her environmental, young adult novel No Entry is forthcoming in September 2019 and is the first in series.
As the daughter of a Yemenite-Israeli father and Ashkenazi-Canadian mother, Gila o