Start by marking “Valley of Dry Bones (ARKANE, #10)” as Want to Read:
Valley of Dry Bones (ARKANE, #10)

Valley of Dry Bones

(ARKANE #10)

An ancient prophecy. An occult secret. The power to raise the dead.

From New York Times and USA Today bestselling thriller author, J.F.Penn.

When a long-hidden tomb and a body covered in Voodoo symbols are found in New Orleans, ARKANE agent Jake Timber discovers a mystery that stretches back to the Spanish Empire and the bloody dungeons of the Inquisition.

But he is not the o
Paperback, Paperback, 228 pages
Published October 15th 2018 by Curl Up Press

To ask other readers questions about Valley of Dry Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valley of Dry Bones

Icy Sedgwick
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I read another of the ARKANE series, I end up thinking "Oh, JF Penn can't possibly top this one"...and then she does precisely that! I remember reading the preceding book, End of Days, in a couple of sittings, and while reading Valley of Dry Bones, I almost missed my bus stop on two occasions because I was so engrossed. For me, it's the most interesting of the series, mixing Louisiana Voodoo, Catholicism, relics, bones, and all other dark things. I'd also love to see New Orleans so re ...more
Toni Osborne
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book # 10, in the Arkane series

Although this may be the 10th book in the series it can be read as a standalone. We are given enough background information to situate us without being overloaded with too much detail. Ms. Penn knows how to introduce her story with an expert penmanship and superb imagination.

This page-turning archaeological thriller explores at its fullest the two attributes the author is well-known to explore: the supernatural and occult. These two elements are blended into a rel
David Taylor
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morgan and Jake are back in pursuit of the Hand of Ezekiel. As usual in the ARKANE stories the reader is hooked during the first paragraph and the line is reeled in until that last page when you are deposited back in the boat of reality. Without providing any spoilers for an awesome story, Valley of Dry Bones may leave you in a love hate situation due to some unforeseen happenings as the story progresses. If you are a fan of Morgan & Jake this is a must read. If you are new to J. F. Penn’s A ...more
Juneta Key
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zombies in the bible? What? Great Dark Arcane Thriller Adventure.

The story makes me think of the James Rollins type of adventure but with more thriller-type aspects and a slightly darker tone. There is an aurora of Dan Brown type about the story too.

Zombies in the bible? Hand of Ezekiel Such a cool arcane object with biblical connections. Love that aspect adding a bit of a tilt toward the SPOOKIER end of the scale. I mean think about it. What if it were true? Read the bible scripture. I did. E
HornFan2 (Mike)
I received a free advance copy from J.F. Penn, for my honest review and I also pre-ordered it from amazon.com. Something I like to do to support my favorite authors and especially when I read advance copies from them.

No spoilers! Absolutely addictive, J.F. Penn's writing style just sucks you in, your right their in the action, on the edge of the seat cheering that Morgan, Jake, Martin and the rest of the Arkane crew to defeat evil and it's a read that you don't want to see end.

Her writing is s
Denise
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
I give this five stars for being a very well~written, and obviously well researched book. I have not read many of the books in this series yet but that didn't really matter as it stands alone. It contains all the elements is a good action adventure, "good" guys, "bad" guys, something being sought that is not easy to find and that somebody doesn't want you to get before them. Throw in New Orleans, voodoo, and a secret society formed to protect relics, and you have everything you need for a great ...more
Ellen
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!! What a fantastic read!! I am probably one of this genres biggest fans and I am also one of those curious ones who actually do fact checking because of my love for stories about ancient rituals artifacts and religious objects. I will recommend that you try to read these wonderful books in sequence as the story of the main characters flow through them. I highly recommend this book by this great author if you want to lose yourself in the supernatural realm but want to actually believe that w ...more
Lora Edwards
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JF Penn hit it out of the park again. This is probably my favorite ARKANE novel to date and there really hasn't been one that I didn't love. She is like Dan Brown but with better writing skills. This book is a fantastic journey that spans continents and the research that she does really shines through, I learned a lot about the Spanish Empire and it was a hair raising adventure that added just that little bit of the supernatural that makes these books special.

Read this book it is a great tale.
Sue Peek
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I absolutely loved this book. JF Penn is a fantastic writer. Her books are always well written and easy to read. The mix of history and fiction take you to places you might have visited and adds to the enjoyment of the story. The adventure of Jake Timber and Morgan Sierra in their quest for the relic called “Hand of Ezekiel” will keep you enthralled so that you’ll find it hard to put down. I only wish I was given the chance to rate this higher than five. I was given a review copy from the a ...more
Ronel Janse van Vuuren
It starts in Guinea, Africa where people were captured to be slaves so long ago and where it is rumoured that voodoo (zombies and all) as it was known in the New World originated. Okay, enough of what I know of folklore. But it does inform the story to follow…

Again we have wonderful travels across the globe. My favourite is being in New Orleans – I just love that spooky city.

“An army of skeletons overran the last of the living.” Love this line – and it holds the essence of what Morgan and Jake h
Janet
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another superb book from J.F. Penn - spooky and spectacular
I love the ARKANE books. They are all exciting, imaginative, pacy and well written, with real locations all around the world and characters you feel as though you know, and come to love, as friends.
Morgan and Jake are strong, brave, loyal, and fearless in their pursuit of relics across the globe, protecting the world from the destruction and devastation that could be caused by these relics in the wrong hands. They never have an easy
Kai
Shelves: e-books
Valley of Dry Bones is perfect for a Halloween read and for zombie fanatics.

Jake is now on another mission in New Orleans with Naomi. A dead body has been discovered with symbolic signs drawn on the man's body. It lead to a search of the Hand of Ezekiel. While dodging two rivals, the Brotherhood of Breath and a shadowy billionaire, Jake called on his former partner, Morgan Sierra to aid him one last time.

Morgan Sierra had suffered a great blow in her last mission and is a shadow of herself tryin
Ashok
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joanna Penn's 'Valley Of Dry Bones' is the tenth of the series, and retains her reputation of incredibly readable and exciting plots and language, with deep research and fantastic extrapolations to add paranormal and other ingredients, making her plots unique and reminding me of Rider Haggard, Dan Brown, and others of their ilk.
Some earlier protagonists remain, some are absent, and new ones appear in 'Valley Of Dry Bones'. Jake Timber and his old partner Morgan Sierra set out to track down a se
Kay Bichener
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 10th in the ARKANE series of books, The Valley of Dry Bones continues the relentless pursuit of supernatural relics by Jake and Morgan, ARKANE agents. The author weaves a gripping story about biblical relics which take them all over the world, she elucidates beautifully the countries they visit, the people they meet and their relationship development.
I am always encouraged to investigate the places she vividly brings to life in these books. I have visited New Orleans and Majorca and felt th
Renee Arthur
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome book in the ARKANE series. Jake is paired up with a new partner, Naomi, in New Orleans while his regular partner, Morgan, is in Spain still recuperating from her last ordeal. A grave drops down into a previously unknown chamber during heavy rains in one of the old New Orleans cemeteries. This chamber of bones starts the search for the Hand of Ezekiel. A billionaire wants it to try to cure his daughter of a terrible bone disease and Jake needs to find it for ARKANE before anyone g ...more
dennis barron
Valley Of Dry Bones. J.F. Penn

Luis Rey, has a rare connective tissue disease. Muscles, tendons and ligaments turn to bone. A slow crippling agonizing death. His young daughter has inherited his disease. Luis Rey is a billionaire and will do anything to save his daughter. An ancient prophesy, from the Spanish inquisition, from the bones of the dead, a potion that will enable the dead to come to life is his only option to save his daughter. The army of the dead. Arkane agents Jake and Sierra Morga
Diamondbabe
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only do you get a great story with seriously strong characters who you will love be this the 1st book in the series you read or the latest but it's filled with fantastic descriptions that make you feel as if you are actually there. On the hunt for another relic that has potential to destroy the earth the lead characters have you gripped as they battle not only the bad guys but their own personal demons. The book is filled with tension, suspense, thrills & triumph. The book can be read as ...more
Kay Smillie
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One thing (amongst a lot of other positives) you can say about Joanna Penn is that she always researches her books really well. I can absolutely confirm this with regard to San Francisco. I felt I was back there with the sounds, the smells, the shops, and the people. Wonderfully worded too.

An exhausting ARKANE adventure that will have you zooming through the pages, as The Hand of Ezekiel needs to be found before evildoers get their hands on it (sorry!) and raise an army from the dead. Not only a
Lynda
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been so long since the last ARKANE novel, but it was worth the wait. Tables are a bit turned in this one Jake is healthy and Morgan is healing. So Jake goes off on his own to New Orleans to view a crime scene, but he contacts Morgan on her holiday for some help. From there things speed off into fast paced world hopping adventure. The ARKANE novels are always filled with well written and interesting characters and this one is no different. I'm already looking forward to the next adventure.
Jack Holt
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book in the Arkane series. The Voodoo theme, the locations of Africa and New Orleans, the fast pace, and the Old Testament account of Ezekiel bringing an army of dry bones back to life is a different new adventure for Jake and Morgan. It is a must read for Joanna Penn fans. You won't want to put it down.
Gail
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced, action-packed, suspenseful

J. F. Penn did it again and wrote a fantastic novel which keeps you turning the pages to see what will happen next. It is great to see Jake and Morgan back in action along with Naomi. Ancient relics, bones,, and Voodoo mixed together make this book even more interesting. This book is great and I am sure you will enjoy it. Happy reading!!
Patricia
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jf-penn, arkane
Great new read in the ARKANE series by J.F. Penn. Suspenseful and thrilling as all of her books are. And this is a standalone read, so you don't have to have read the previous books in the series, but trust me you will want to because they are exciting books to read.
Debbie Mcnally
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am lucky enough to have gotten a ARC copy of this book from the author. Great book wonderful adventure and you will learn some interesting things also. I also love how you can go to the author's Pinintrest and see the images she describes so well.
Sharon
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding author and series

One of my favorite authors. If you appreciate well researched books anchored in historical events, you will appreciate the work by Penn. The book can be read as a stand alone but you will like the series.
Paul Thompson
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

This was an interesting addition to the series and I made sure I downloaded it as soon as I spotted it. I enjoyed the sense of location as well as the development at the end - how will Arkane take this?
Melissa Hayden
The ending felt as though Morgan and Jake have changed with all they've learned. They act on what they've seen and know. This feels like a turning point for them. This has me curious to read more stories with them and relics they will find.

****FULL REVIEW TO FOLLOW****
Debbie
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Read

Another great book. Very thrilling and suspenseful. Great to see Morgan and Jake working together again. Keep the books coming.
Brian Igoe
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast past read. Continues in the same way as the other books in the series.
Mrs C E M Hicks
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story from Joanna, where does she get the ideas? I read it in 2 days, couldn’t put it down & I look forward with excitement to her next book.
Megan
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it

Thank you Joanna! Another excellent book. Fast paced and easy to read. I can't wait for the next one to come out.
« previous 1 3 next »
I'm the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the ARKANE thriller series, and the London Crime Thriller series.

The fast-paced ARKANE thrillers weave together historical artifacts, global locations, a kick-ass protagonist and a hint of the supernatural. Described by readers as a female Indiana Jones meets The Da Vinci Code.

One Day In Budapest is a chilling view of a possible future as

ARKANE (10 books)
  • Stone of Fire (ARKANE #1)
  • Crypt of Bone (ARKANE #2)
  • Ark of Blood (ARKANE #3)
  • One Day In Budapest (ARKANE #4)
  • Day of the Vikings (ARKANE #5)
  • Gates of Hell (ARKANE #6)
  • One Day in New York (ARKANE #7)
  • Destroyer of Worlds (ARKANE #8)
  • End of Days (ARKANE #9)