Start by marking “Topper Takes a Trip” as Want to Read:
Topper Takes a Trip

Read Book

Topper Takes a Trip

(Topper #2)

The beloved characters--mortal and immortal--of Topper return in this uproarious romp through the south of France. One of Thorne Smith's best-loved comedies, it proves once again that he is the undisputed master of urbane wit and sophisticated repartee.
        Cosmo Topper, the mild-mannered bank manager who was persuaded to take a walk on the wild side by the ghosts of Ge
Published December 28th 1999 by Modern Library (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Topper Takes a Trip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Topper Takes a Trip

Kimley
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kimley by: Tosh
Oh, Topper, how I do love you!

The second Topper book by Thorne Smith, although not quite as good as the first, is still a biting confection of wit and well worth the read if you enjoyed the first. While the first book takes dear old Topper, our mild-mannered, suburban-dwelling, bank executive and spins him on an adventure with some free-wheeling ghosts that causes him much reflection on his life, this second book has Topper, now a retired bank executive, galavanting in the south of France with t
Rob Slaven
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics
From my younger days as a much older person in a younger person’s body I had some familiarity with the old Topper movies though if the reading of this book is any judge of such things my concept of what the movies were actually ABOUT might be more than a tad askew of reality.

Cosmo Topper is an average American bank executive on holiday in the French Riveria. He’s utterly normal in his generally loose moral fibre and unexceptional in most ways that are worth noting except that he happens to be pl
Xenophon Hendrix
Feb 06, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the sequel to Topper. It lacks much of the compassion of its predecessor, and it's darker while at the same time being sillier. Still, it's pretty funny.
Anthony Peter
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
My co-reviewers have given enough of a rundown on Thorne Smith for me not to need to repeat the little I know. Suffice it for me to say that as a random choice from one of my regular secondhand bookshops (Border Books, Todmorden) this turned out to be a goody.

Mind you, I suspect it’s either a style and authorial tone you’ll like or won’t. Smith writes in a kind of Wodehousian longhand, so for people like me who rather enjoy playful prolixity, it’s fun. Having said that, like Wodehouse, Smith not
Chris Knopff
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I so enjoy this kind of humor. I suppose there are some deep thoughts here but first enjoy its humor and fun and then contemplate all those things.
Tripsy South
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My review here is the same I wrote for TOPPER by the same author, who is my fave!
Rebecca
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Quite funny, but not Thorne Smith's best work. Topper is once again pursued by ghosts who turn his life upside down, this is an extract which sets gives you some idea of the tone of the book:

'Entrez!' called Mr Topper.
The manager stepped into the room, quietly closing the door behind him.
'Good morning, m'sieu,' said the manager. 'Were you, by any chance, forced to eject a naked woman through that window a few moments ago?'
'Certainly not,' replied Mr Topper indignantly. 'I wouldn't throw a naked
Leslie
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, guardian-1000
"A vast expanse of cool ocean as blue and virginal seeming as the garments adorning the figure then inspecting it from the balcon> of a discouragingly pale stucco villa set in a garden fairly bristling with grass of a repellent toughness -- grass so hostilely tough that only a rhinoceros could sit on it with any showing of dignity and aplomb. Unfortunately, as rhinoceroses are rarely if ever encountered in these drab days sitting on Riviera grass in Riviera gardens, this observation must of n ...more
Chris
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Britain has Wodehouse; America has Thorne Smith. He is a national treasure who should be more widely read. Unfortunately, he is out of print in this country. However, you can still find his books at Amazon.co.uk. "Topper Takes a Trip" is the follow-up to Topper. Topper is a banker who develops a following of hard-partying ghosts. In this book he goes to the South of France. My favorite wordplay is the drunken slurring of "Goddarme Gendamns" (French cops). Hilarity ensues everywhere. This is not ...more
Jonathan Palfrey
This is the second outing of Cosmo Topper and his ghostly friends, and time has gone by, the author is six years older and even more world-weary. Although this time the action is set in France, which gives him a chance to have a go at the French as well as the Americans.

I originally preferred this second book, but now I find the first rather charming—childish in a nice way. The second book has its moments, but it displays a more adolescent sense of humour with a touch of malice, which may not ap
Karen
Jul 12, 2016 marked it as to-read
* 1000 novels everyone must read: the definitive list

Selected by the Guardian's Review team and a panel of expert judges, this list includes only novels – no memoirs, no short stories, no long poems – from any decade and in any language. Originally published in thematic supplements – love, crime, comedy, family and self, state of the nation, science fiction and fantasy, war and travel – they appear here for the first time in a single list.
Marvin
Nov 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another prime example of Thorne Smith's sophisticated skewering of the early 20th century bourgeois...

"Madame is your wife?" exclaimed Monsieur in a mixture of surprise and disappointment.

"But yes," replied Mr Topper. "Is it that you believed her my mistress?"

Monsieur Grandon shrugged temporizingly.

"It is of an occurrence unique." He Observed. "One expects more of an American when he visits our Riviera."

Fishsanwitt
from Library Thing list
Meg
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
A true American classic - Thorne Smith is delightful!
Trevor
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
There was a style of comedy at the time that I don't think any writer would be allowed to be verbose enough to get away with today.
Tosh
Oct 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The sequal to 'Topper.' Thorne Smith is one of America's most underrated writer. You want screwball energy and wit? This is it! Depression era writing at it's most great.
Nicola
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Have loved Topper since I was a teenager!
Maryellen Henry
Jan 24, 2008
John
Mar 25, 2015
Roxana
rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2015

• The Unbearable Bassington
  • Augustus Carp, Esq. by Himself, Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man
  • Mister Johnson
  • The Adventures of Gil Blas
James Thorne Smith, Jr. was an American writer of humorous supernatural fantasy fiction under the byline Thorne Smith. He is best known today for the two Topper novels, comic fantasy fiction involving sex, much drinking and supernatural transformations. With racy illustrations, these sold millions of copies in the 1930s and were equally popular in paperbacks of the 1950s.

Smith was born in Annapoli