Start by marking “Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)

Wicked Fox

(Gumiho #1)

A fresh and addictive fantasy-romance set in modern-day Seoul.

Eighteen-year-old Gu Miyoung has a secret--she's a gumiho, a nine-tailed fox who must devour the energy of men in order to survive. Because so few believe in the old tales anymore, and with so many evil men no one will miss, the modern city of Seoul is the perfect place to hide and hunt.

But after feeding one ful
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 448 pages
Published June 25th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Fox, please sign up.
Kat Cho It is in third person!

It is in third person!

I wanted to tell a story that incorporated the Korean folktales that my parents introduced me to as a child. I also have a very large love of Korean dramas ever since I was a little girl and watched my first historical K-drama with my grandmother, so I loved the idea of incorporating some of those themes and tropes into YA fiction (another one of my loves)(less)
Emma England He reminds me a lot of various boys in the school dramas showing first love. Not a specific one, more of the general type.

There are A LOT of tropes…more

There are A LOT of tropes though that any Kdrama fan will recognise. It's lovely.(less)

Chaima ✨ شيماء
My excitement over this book glowed within the few first chapters, then flamed, then just as quickly, fell as ash to the ground somewhere around the halfway mark. Afterwards, I was crawling across every sentence with the peak of each hard-won page unveiling but another page beyond, unable to worm free of the yoke of that most dreaded mire of the human emotions: boredom. Frankly, this whole experience is but a handful of broken moments scattered through my mind—the story seemed to slid off of me ...more
Chloe
Reading this was a dream come true. A young adult urban fantasy set in Seoul? My heart 💗. And it was everything that I wanted a more.

I absolutely loved the Korean mythology and it was perfectly woven into the story. The characters? Amazing. I love them and the relationships that were formed. My heart also broke for them. I'll talk about it more in my wrap up, but GET EXCITED FOR THIS! This comes out 25 June!

Thank you so much Penguin Random House for providing me with an ARC! I am eternally grate
Miranda Reads
A girl who kills to survive.

A boy captured by goblins, saved by a killer.

A choice - an immortal existence for a single human life.

Don't know about you, but I have high hopes for this one. I love that it's centered on Korean mythology set in the modern world - this is going to be amazing!
Elena
Feb 24, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
[5/31/19]
if anyone is able to get an arc of this at bookcon and is willing to give it to me i will gladly take it and wish nothing but blessings and happiness for you

[1/24/19]
I CAN'T BELIEVE MY PREDICTIONS OF THE COVER WERE TRUE !!!! IT TRULY LOOKS LIKE THIS CAME OUT OF A KOREAN WEBTOON

KAT CHO PLEASE THROW ME AN EARLY COPY OF THIS I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'M ANTICIPATING THIS ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I AM A KDRAMA LOVER AND THIS IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR US KDRAMA LOVERS

[12/21/18]
WiCkeD fOx

[12/11/1
jessica
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
where in the world have i been to not know that fantasy kdrama is the genre of the year?! the korean myth of gumihos is not one i was previously familiar with, but this story is making me want to book a one way ticket to seoul to sneak a peek at the little fox fiends.

for a debut, this has all the makings of a great story. its creative, it represents a culture that isnt as mainstream, it has likeable/relatable characters, and the writing is easy to read. i feel that kat cho has brought a lot to
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
July Fairyloot Box! Click on my link below the picture to see the goodies!

THE GOODIES LINK
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 08, 2019 marked it as owned-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Melanie
We are being blessed this year with so many exquisite, unique, Asian inspired fantasies.

description
✨ A ✨
Oct 27, 2018 marked it as anticipating  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-release, debut
27 Oct, 2018
A CONTEMPORARY FANTASY BASED ON KOREAN MYTHOLOGY? KAT CHO, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN GIRL?? I AM HERE FOR THIS description
Anissa
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-release
So much yes! This was full of so many amazing surprises and twists. I won’t say anymore as I don’t want to give anything away but my heart cannot take the cuteness that is Miyoung and Jihoon. Love!!
Lola
Somehow I knew this would not work well for me and I am all about mythology in my fantasy reads. But after reading the cheesy summary mentioning a forbidden romance that could potentially become Miyoung’s downfall, I was like, ‘‘I really hope YA Fiction moves on from this type of character arc, man.’’ I gave it a chance anyway because sometimes blurbs are awful but the characters wonderful so it’s always possible to be surprised when it comes to books.

But the main characters were extraordinaril
Kat Cho
Mar 01, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE 4/10/2019:

For anyone outside of the US and Canada, there is going to be an international export edition! AND (drumroll...) it will be under its original title of GUMIHO! (Well, technically GUMIHO: WICKED FOX). I'm so grateful that international readers will get a chance to meet Jihoon and Miyoung!
--------------------------------

UPDATE 1/22/2019:

Cover is here! (follow the link for an exclusive excerpt): https://ew.com/books/2019/01/22/wicke...

Please
Lucy Langford
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5**** rounded up!

“Night and darkness made a believer of everyone.”

18 year old Miyoung is not your typical girl, she is part Gumiho- a nine-tailed fox who survives by consuming the gi (energy) of men. However, much to her mothers disappointment, she is also half-human, with empathy and soft spots for some humans. With the help of a local shaman who can see spirits, Miyoung only kills those who commit terrible crimes.

Both Miyoung and her Mother hide in plain site, Miyoung attends school in Seo
Monica
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
i loved wicked fox so so much! it was such a rollercoaster of a story, and i especially think kdrama fans will ador it. but truly it’s a book for everyone, filled with so much korean culture that it made my heart soar. i also loved that even thought it’s part of a series, this feels like a whole story and not just an introduction. but i already cannot wait for the next!!
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
"Gumiho," Jihoon whispered.
The girl's head whipped around, her eyes bright as fire.
Jihoon knew he should fear her, but instead he felt a strange fascination.

When I heard about this book I knew I had to read it as soon as possible. It was one of my most anticipated releases of 2019. I love books that delve into mythology, especially when it belongs to a different culture. In Wicked Fox we get to follow the adventures of Miyoung, a Gumiho (nine tailed fox) in modern day Seoul after she saves Jihoo
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Thank you, Penguin Random House, for giving me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

You can meet a girl who seems angry and secretive and learn that it's all just a front for a kind heart that's been hurt too many times.

As a lover of K-pop and K dramas (Korean culture in general), this was my most anticipated release of 2019. The wait was agonizing. When the book was finally in my hands several days before my birthday, I felt so happy. In retrospect, I probably should have lowere
Angelica
I think I might be broken. The part of me that loves reading and actively enjoys the books I read has been tremendously damaged this past year. No book I read is good enough. No book can quite pull me out of the slump I'm in. And just when I think that I'm making my way out of the hole a disappointing book like this comes along to kick me down again.

This book starts out pretty solid. The writing is pretty decent, the characters are likable enough, the story is building and the action starts righ
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
대박! This is a real combination of Korean Drama and fantasy book. The Korean mythology about Gumiho, a fox with nine tails 🦊, and the story are absolutely interesting. The relationships between characters in this book are perfect.

P.S. I’m so excited for the sequel!
Amy Risner
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books, 2019-arcs

ARC provided by Penguin Teen in exchange for an honest review.

When I learned I was going to be on this blog tour, I may or may not have screamed. Wicked Fox was such an anticipated YA release of 2019 for me, and it did not disappoint!

This Korean-lore inspired tale of the gumiho (fox with nine tails) was so much fun to read, and I immediately fell in love with our two main stars: Miyoung and Jihoon.

Miyoung: A high school student who is half-gumiho and half-human. She must feed on the gi (or energ
Melanie

This is all I want in my literary life.
*Master Chief voice*
Wake me when it's 2019.
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
HOLY FUCK THIS SOUNDS LIKE EVERYTHING I'VE EVER WATNED AND NEEDED!!!

NEED..

NEED..

NEED ...

NEED!!!!!

Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
Hollis
This is a paranormal fantasy, with a heavy focus on Korean mythology, set in present day Seol. And boy did it hook me right away.

"My mother says gumiho are always women because we gain our power from the moon."
"And what is a man?"
"Dinner."

Honesty, the first 1/3rd of this book was nonstop delight. It was interesting, refreshing, funny, thrilling.. I loved both our heroine, a half-human half-nine-tailed fox -- who chooses to siphon the life force from evil men to survive (unlike her mother, a full
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Thank you so much to Penguin Random House for the review copy!

TW: gore, violence, death, death of a loved one, depictions of seizures, absent parents.

This was so much fun. Some of my favourite things about the book:

- the atmospheric, Korean setting
- the fact that the love interest was the PUREST cinnamon roll to ever exist
- the beautiful relationship between Jihoon and his grandmother <3
- the Korean mythology (Gumiho and Goblin galore!)

If you love K-dramas, I would highly recommend picking th
Eliza
Jan 22, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This sounds like a Korean drama x fantasy novel.
Count me in.
Vicky Who Reads
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
need for book two: *intensifies*

I feel like a shaking chihuahua waiting for a sequel askksksks
Travel.with.a.book
When Twilight meets Korean mythology brings us to a glimpse of this highly anticipated YA fantasy drama written by Kat Cho which is instantly our favourite Author! The book is a solid 5 stars read, I have never read any Korean mythology except some of the movies I have had watched like 'Six Flying Dragons'! Gumiho gave all the feels as a young adult fiction it really made me want to not stop reading it!!
The book is set as a modern mythology in Korea with a girl who kills to survive that I fell
Julie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Don't miss this, especially if you are a fan of K-Drama, sweeping love stories, antiheroines, and cinnamon roll boys! (Who isn't?)

My official review:

“WICKED FOX is a delight from beginning to end. Set against the bustling cityscape of Seoul, this elegant contemporary fantasy explores what it means to be a monster and what we must give up in the pursuit of love, forgiveness, and our truest selves. A triumph!”
– Julie C. Dao, author of FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS
maya
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
4 🌟—————————————————————-

YES YES YES YES

ARC kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you.

This has become one of my favorite ya romantic fantasies of all time. Everything about this reminded of a korean drama and that is literally all i want in a book. I really appreciated the diversity of not only the characters but the setting as well. Having it set in Seol with Korean characters instead of Korean American was so much fun to
Scrill
Feb 22, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
K drama angst. Sign me up!

Tucker
Jan 27, 2019 marked it as just-owned  ·  review of another edition
I have a copy! Will I read it in a timely manner? Of course not. Do you know who's review your reading?
*************
After months and months of waiting.... WE FINALLY HAVE A COVER
Traci Chee
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with the world of WICKED FOX: a vibrant, fantastical version of Seoul populated by spirits, monsters, and characters who are as concerned with exams, bullies, and family relations as they are with the supernatural dangers that surround them. Cho’s Miyoung and Jihoon will steal your heart and give it back to you a thousand times fuller. This is a page-turning debut you cannot miss.

• Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Seven Deadly Shadows
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
Kat Cho used to hide books under the bathroom sink and then sneak in there to read after bedtime. Her parents pretended not to know. This helped when she decided to write a dinosaur time-travel novel at the tender age of nine. Sadly, that book was not published. She currently lives and works in NYC and spends her free time trying to figure out what kind of puppy to adopt. Kat's YA contemporary fan ...more

Gumiho (2 books)
  • Untitled (Gumiho, #2)
“Night and darkness made a believer of everyone.” 8 likes
“Maybe it's wrong for us to hold any one person as our whole world. Maybe..." Jihoon trailed off with an odd expression. "Maybe it's wrong of us to owe all of our happiness or sadness to one person.” 3 likes