Start by marking “Cull” as Want to Read:
Cull

Cull

A sharp and outrageous satire about the deadly dark side of discrimination Alex has a problem. Categorized as one of the disabled, dole-scrounging underclass, she is finding it hard to make ends meet. When in her part-time placement at the local newspaper she stumbles onto a troubling link between the disappearance of several homeless people, the government's new Care and ...more
Kindle Edition
Published January 24th 2019 by Unbound

To ask other readers questions about Cull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cull

Start your review of Cull
Bandit
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is why I read indie books. Because every so often there’s a treasure like that just waiting to be found. Cull is actually a perfectly timed read with Britain being on the news so much lately, but this isn’t a Brexit themed story. It deals with another ugly side of British social politics (no, not that one either, the story takes place after the rise of nationalism and passing of strict immigration laws), now with not enough foreigners left to hate, the citizens turn their attention onto the ...more
Rachel Bridgeman
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january-2019
‘Cull’ is so close to what most of us know as reality ,that you find yourself following a laugh with a wince. It is not too far fetched to imagine a government (particularly the one in power) creating a Protect and Care Act which hands down powers to divide and conquer society.
From the posters offering rewards for ‘shopping a scrounger,’ and ‘documentaries’ marginalising the poor,to government workers getting bonuses for incomprehensible forms that guarantee 70% of benefit applicants will fail,
Cheryl M-M
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's supposed to be satire, but sadly a lot of this is already a reality in the UK, after the privatisation of certain systems in charge of the care and assessment of the more vulnerable in our society. Bush takes it one step further into a nightmare of organised disposal of the weaker individuals or those who need support.

One of the more amusing elements of the story is the character of Chris, who in his own way is quite opinionated and contributes to the story in a way Alex is unable to. He is
Catherine Sell
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This book was fantastic. There were parts when I was nervous to keep reading, and parts when I couldn’t stop reading. Parts when I laughed out loud and a part when I cried. A strong female protagonist with a dog?! Sold.
Bush has put this together brilliantly. Cull is a gripping read, confronting for all the right reasons. I’ll be thinking about this one for a while.
Alyssia Cooke
This is a frightening book and yet its reliance on exaggeration and hyperbole make it difficult to relate to. There is a complete lack of subtlety or a multi dimensional story and that's a shame. In some sections, I could see the modern Britain and that is undeniably frightening. But in the next breath the depiction of a Nazi approach is brutally approached in a two dimensional fashion.

The really scary thing is that I can see our society hitting these lows. In detriment to the book though, this
Jypsy
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely an interesting concept, but it's not my type of material. I'm sure readers of this particular genre will enjoy it. ...more
Sharon
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up....visually indelible satire about the intolerance and hatred towards the disabled with a ‘real’ disabled protagonist to believe in...review to come as part of the Random Things Tours blog tour - 23/01/19
Book-Social
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
'A dystopian satire for our times about the dark deadly side of privatisation'

"In a near-future Britain, the furore over the welfare state has reached fever pitch. A combination of state propaganda and aggressive austerity has divided the nation along poisonous lines: on one side, so-called freeloaders, crips and fakes; on the other, The Hard Working British Taxpayer.

The government has introduced the Care and Protect Bill, ostensibly to to relieve the economic burden of the disabled, elderly and
Kristine
Cull by Tanvir Bush is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late December.

Loosely linked anglophile situational short stories that are way zanier and random than I initially expected - for that reason, I did not invest or get much into it at all.
Katy Noyes
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Satire that might not be... anger-inspiring, appalling 'benefit system' exposé.

I spent a good portion of my reading time incensed. At the benefit system portrayed, the citizens of this society that's ours but not-quite-ours-thank-goodness and their attitude towards disabled people, at the leaders and politicians pinching pennies and playing Social Darwin.

It's so hard to read a book where insulting terms are bandied around, used routinely and demeaningly. The choice of 'crip' is a powerful one, a
Sandra "Jeanz"
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley, dystopian
The first thing that attracted my interest to the book was in fact the cover. I think the cover though quite simplistic is presents a powerful image. The way the C in the word Cull is used to represent a wheelchair leaves the prospective reader in no doubt about what is trying to be “culled” in the book. I then read the blurb and felt a strong urge to read the book. With having health issue’s myself as well as looking after both my parents who had multiple health issues and both of them are or h ...more
Karen Cole
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In November 2016, the UN published a report citing 'grave and systematic violations of the rights of disabled people in the UK. In August 2017, the UN reiterated the findings of the report. Disabled and vulnerable people the length and breadth of the country have their own stories to tell of the devastating impact of this Government's austerity policies.
Cull is set in a near-future where the policies and buzzwords we have become used to; 'hard-working taxpayers', 'scroungers', 'Making Work Pay'
Rhona Mitchell Tennant
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, distressing and really, really cool.

Full review to follow

I got this book on kindle through the Unbound Reading Club (it’s a very cool idea from an indie crowd-funded publisher – go click the link!!) and was intrigued as soon as I read the blurb.

(view spoiler)
Barbara
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a world very like our own - scarily so at times - society has turned on its under-contributing members - the skivers, the scroungers and especially the disabled. Shouting abuse at 'crips', attacking those in wheelchairs, with sticks, or with guide dogs, and having a go at the homeless all seem to be acceptable forms of behaviour in Tanvir Bush's vision of a Britain where welfare cuts bite hard and suicides by those caught on the underbelly of society are on the rise.

Our protagonist is Alex,
Misfits farm
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Think the future. Think a state where you pretty much have to work whatever your situation. If not you have to apply for 50 jobs a week otherwise no benefits. Where vulnerable and elderly are taken away so that their carers can work and add to the efficiency of the country. Alex is visually impaired and has her guide dog Chris. She stumbles across something that leads her on an interesting path , one that could put her in danger and where no one would care. There is truth (albeit it controversia ...more
Susan
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I am not sure how to explain this book. Cull takes the concept of a scapegoat to a new place: blaming the disabled, homeless, and elderly for their plight, determining that they are bleeding the system dry, and cutting their assistance to the bare minimum, if that. Then it goes further with a plot to basically erase these classes from society, with the wholehearted support and enthusiasm of a majority of society. The story is placed in Britain but could so easily take place in the US. I really e ...more
Jenny Hemming
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thought-provoking, witty satire with a strong message. I enjoyed the imaginative leap of the perspective from the natural world, and it sat easily with the story's structure and tone. The plot is well-crafted and anxiety inducing, such that I had to stop reading to summon the strength to continue. Disappointing in outcome, but I fear all too realistic. The depiction of where austerity could easily take us is an important warning - I hope it is in time. The current impact of austerity on the most ...more
Michael  Berquist
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review on Netgalley.

This was a powerful novel that although hard to read at times was harrowing and necessary for our present time. Imagine a world where benefits and opportunities for employment are stripped away from people with disabilities. Bush creates such a hellscape that is not too far removed from our political climate. I hope this great indie novel finds a wider readership!
Becky
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
This is truly superb, dark and chilling but also darkly comic. There is definitely a ‘Black Mirror’ feel to it, something that feels so close to where we are, and a horrifyingly realistic potential of where our society could be headed.

Excellent characters and plot, I loved Alex and Chris especially!!
Irkalla Ethrinkah
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read. I hope that's not really the future for disabled people like me. I wonder if there will be a sequel. ...more
Dawn Robinson
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read, such an eye opener on the discrimination that people with disabilities face each and every day by a system that should be supporting them.
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
(I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.)

DNF at 64%.

The premise is both fascinating and daring, really unique, but the writing just really doesn't work for me. I wasn't a fan of the segues into Chris (the guide dog)'s POV - I thought they were too cutesy considering how grim the rest of the book is - and the gritty details about all the (literal and figurative) shit everywhere were uncomfortably graphic.

But the real dealbreaker was the way the narrative deals with rac
Sian Wootton
May 22, 2019
bx
May 20, 2019
Kathryn Hemmann
May 31, 2020
Lizbeth
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from Netgalley.com and the publisher Unbound. Thanks to both for the opportunity to read and review.

Dr. Bush's new novel is a glimpse into the future of care of the disabled and elderly. It strikes very close to home as a reader with a loved one with disabilities. As the cover suggests, in this story, disabled people are being expendable. As are addicts, the elderly and anyone viewed to be leeching off the system. Considering what National Health
Lizzie

• Wakenhyrst
  • The Hunt
  • Beside Myself
  • Master Class
  • Serpentine (His Dark Materials, #3.6)
  • The Small Miracle
  • Three Strikes
  • Maybe
  • Soon
  • War Doctor: Surgery on the Front Line
  • After
  • The Complete Robot (Robot, #0.3)
  • Now