Start by marking “The Big Book of Weirdos (Factoid Books)” as Want to Read:
The Big Book of Weirdos (Factoid Books)

The Big Book of Weirdos (Paradox Press series of Big Book)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  244 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
SC, TPB, NM, New, Written by Carl Posey. Introduction by cartoonist, novelist, and self-confessed weirdo Gahan Wilson. Published in January of 1995, Softcover, 8 1/2-in. x 11-in. 224 pages, B&W. Cover price $12.95.
Published April 1st 1995 by Dc Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Big Book of Weirdos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Book of Weirdos

Aaron Hollingsworth
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic introduction to several great historical minds. Told in graphic novel style, this book shows us the quirks and eccentricities of Ambrose Bierce, Nikola Tesla, and Hetty Green, just to name a few. Highly entertaining and deftly illustrated, The Big Book of Weirdos is a treasure trove of odd facts about odd people.
Irfan Nurhadi
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Buku yang menarik.
Di antara tokoh-tokoh 'eksentrik' yang ditampilkan, yang paling berkesan bagi saya adalah bagian Franz Mesmer. Franz Mesmer adalah seorang dokter mujarab yang bisa menyembuhkan pasien2nya hanya dengan sentuhan tongkat sihir -nya. Dia menjelaskan bahwa metode yang ia pakai adalah 'animal magnetism' (i didn't get it either).

Sayangnya ada raja Louis XVI meragukan keabsahan metode Mesmer dan memanggil ilmuwan2 (termasuk Ben Franklin dr Amerika) untuk menguji metode Mesmer. Alhasil
Jeb
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, comics
One of my favorites of the Factoid Books series, The Big Book Of Weirdos introduces us to the strangest folks in history, literature, art, religion and commerce, all told with concise comics illustrated by numerous artists. Absurd, disturbing, and often hilarious, it's a hard book to put down and educational to boot.

Nikola Tesla had a fear of women with pearl earrings? What's the deal with that?
Rob
Jun 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: wannane weirdos, psycho posers
Shelves: own
You get pretty much exactly what the title promises... An illustrated compendium of short biopics for some of history's greatest weirds, crackpots, and fringe visionaries. It runs the gamut from infamous imperial menaces (e.g., Ivan the Terrible, Ludwig the Mad) to relatively harmless common crackpots (e.g., Joshua Norton (Emperor of these United States)). There is some great artwork and some potent writing to accompany. Well done overall.
Jason
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: factoid
Another big book that proved to be an interesting read. I thought that the book would mostly contain weird individuals who were mostly unknown except for their weirdness. But I was surprised to see a lot of extra ordinary individuals who made big contributions to society who had their share of hidden weirdness. Greatness often demands that you deviate from normal thoughts and actions, I guess. Loved this big book as well.
Matimate
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, graphic_novels
Short biographies of famous and very strange people were packed with some nutty art style. The famous and crazy with the not so happy ending was the best choice for the authors. Weirder...better from roman time to the modern age psychos. Rulers, actors and many more got their place in this book.I think be famous because you are nuts is not the greatest achievement, but still being famous is right...ehm never mind.
Rachelle
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The biographies in this book are interesting, but even more interesting for me was the variety of ways different artists used the 9-panel grid and black and white artwork to produce such rich and unique results. Particularly noteworthy for me was Craig Hamilton's retro-inspired artwork in the Isadora Duncan piece. Now, where's my scarf?
Dan  Ray
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As the guy most often called "the weirdest guy I know" by friends and family, I was pretty drawn to this book. History is full of great eccentrics, people who walked to the beat of their own drummer. They were sometimes harmful and dangerous, but (exempting Hitler, obviously) I think we're better off with the crazies to liven up history.
Courtney
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
The title was the first thing that got my attention. I loved this book and thought it was amazingly creative, and a brilliant way to learn about histories "weirdos". The whole book is in a comic book format which makes it even more enjoyable. And some of the things, or people that ended up in this book may surprise you. If you want a fascinating, and enjoyable quick read I would recommend this.
Kelly Wagner
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Graphic stories, from a few years earlier than when graphic novels really hit their heyday. Weirdos from Caligula to J. Edgar Hoover. Artists from Ed Hillyer to Rick Geary (whose Victorian Murderesses series I love).
Pascale
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Oh, the supreme delight of finding this book at some friends’ cabin! Strange tales told in graphic novel format.
Christina
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really Really original and very well written! Funny & interesting real stories throughout history.
T. Smith
Jul 29, 2011 added it
Shelves: graphic
"Big Book of..." is great illustrated series on a wide variety of topics with lots of top-notch artists and authors.
Ryan Dilbert
May 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book is fun, and a lot of the art is great. Also I didn't object to having a graphic novel teach me a little something.
Pinko Palest
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
patchy. Quite good in places, but most of it was dumbing down on the subjects involved, with few redeeming factors, such as humour. Far too much on America, far too little on anything else
Bo Blaze
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
what's not to like. The life of various weirdos in comic book form!
Matt Mazenauer
Jun 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Weirdos is a particularly vague topic, but that doesn't mean this isn't a great launching pad into bizarre people.
Carrie
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Bought this in college and have probably lost my copy. The little bios were short and each were illustrated by a different artist, making it really new and exciting at every page.
Popetom
Aug 29, 2009
  • The Big Book of Conspiracies
  • The Big Book of Death
  • The Big Book of Urban Legends
  • The Big Book of Hoaxes: True Tales of the Greatest Lies Ever Told! (Factoid Books)
  • The Big Book of Grimm (Factoid Books)
  • The Mammoth Book of Best Horror Comics
  • Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics
  • The Museum of Hoaxes
  • Savage Dragon, Vol. 1: Baptism of Fire
  • Eye Mind: Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators
  • The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials: Great Aliens from Science Fiction Literature
  • The Science of the X-Men
  • Bat-Manga!: The Secret History of Batman in Japan

Paradox Press series of Big Book (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Big Book of Urban Legends
  • The Big Book of Death
  • The Big Book of Conspiracies
  • The Big Book of Freaks
  • The Big Book of Little Criminals
  • The Big Book of Thugs: Tough as Nails True Tales of the World's Baddest Mobs, Gangs, and Ne'er do Wells! (Factoid Books)
  • The Big Book of Losers