Start by marking “Year's Best SF 3” as Want to Read:
Year's Best SF 3

Year's Best SF 3

(Year's Best SF #3)

Experience New Realms

Acclaimed editor and anthologist David G. Hartwell returns with this fifth annual collection of the year's most imaginative, entertaining, and mind-expanding science fiction.

Here are works from some of today's most acclaimed authors, as well as visionary new talents, that will introduce you to new ideas, offer unusual perspectives, and take you to plac

Published May 6th 1998 by Harper Voyager (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Year's Best SF 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year's Best SF 3

Thomas R
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Some really good stories, but as I recall others that might make you go "really, that's one of the best of the year?" I tried this because I thought it might be more "hard-SF" than Dozois's. Also I read this years ago so this won't be exhaustive.

Petting Zoo - Don't remember it too well. It seems like I didn't think of it as one of Wolfe's better works.

The Wisdom of Old Earth - Don't remember this one offhand.

The Firefly Tree - Lovely. An aging master writer who continued to impress into his ni
Roddy Williams
It’s interesting that most ‘Year’s Best’ anthologies tend to feature one or two of the old guard or the big names of SF, and this volume is no exception. In other cases, there may be ulterior motives, since the likes of Robert Silverberg, Jack Williamson, Will Gibson and Moorcock etc, still swing a lot of weight, and publishers will – one assumes – be keen to feature these names in a publication which is likely to sell to hardcore fans more than anyone else.
One has to say though that the quality
Peter
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A collection of science fiction short stories, all from the distant year of 1998. As always, there are going to be some stories that don't do anything for me, and some that really work, and those may be totally different from somebody else's reactions, so star ratings are even more ridiculously subjective than most. However, I will say that I thought this was a better-than-average installment with more stories that I liked, and fewer that I disliked, than most of these anthologies.

I still think
Erika
Pretty interesting collection of stories and some of them really make you think (that they could really happen.)
Charl
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y2018
Yum!
George Berguño
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
In the introduction to this collection of science fiction stories, the editor David Hartwell states that 1997 was a difficult year for SF publications. Magazines continued to lose circulation, anthologies were on the whole mediocre, and there were few novellas of a high calibre. Having read and reviewed Hartwell’s previous two collections of Year’s Best (SF 1 and SF 2), it seems to me that 1997 was probably a difficult year for SF short fiction in general, because, of the first three Year’s Best ...more
Xkander
Joseph
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Favorites:
"Petting Zoo"/Gene Wolfe.
"The Wisdom of Old Earth"/Michael Swanwick.
"The Firefly Tree"/Jack Williamson.
"the Nostalginauts"/S.N.Dyer.
"Guest Law"/John C.Wright.
"the Voice"/Gregory Benford.
"An Office Romance"/Terry Bisson.
"Itsy Bitsy Spider"/James Patrick Kelly.
"Beauty in the Night"/Robert Silverberg.
"The Pipes of Pan"/Brian Stableford.
"Universal Emulators"/Tom Cool.
"Fair Verona"/R. Garcia y Robertson.
"Great Western"/Kim Newman.
"The Mendelian Lamp Case"/Paul Levinson.
Eero
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
The problem with collections like this is that there is no unifying theme, and I often find that reading them sequentially becomes a bit of a chore, because I am constantly being yanked from one world to another. "Fair Verona" by R. Garcia y Robertson was the most pleasant surprise. Some stories by big name authors seemed rather slight, e.g. "Petting Zoo" by Gene Wolfe (or maybe I missed the point; the whole thing seemed to be a throwaway joke about a talking purple dinosaur. I get the reference ...more
David Nichols
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, sci-fi
Some excellent stories here, which I enjoyed reading after a long day's research at the David Library of the American Revolution (summer 1998); they include Nancy Kress's "Always True to Thee, in My Fashion," Michael Moorcock's "London Bone," Kim Newman's "Great Western," Michael Swanwick's "Wisdom of Old Earth" (set in eastern Pennsylvania, fairly close to where I read the story), and John Wright's superbly-written "Guest Law."
Peter Tillman
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Highlights:
*** The Wisdom of Old Earth • (1997) • shortstory by Michael Swanwick
* The Nostalginauts • (1997) • shortstory by Sharon N. Farber [as by S. N. Dyer ]
* Guest Law • (1997) • novelette by John C. Wright
Universal Emulators • (1997) • shortstory by Tom Cool
Patrick
10/13/11: "Yeyuka" by Greg Egan (re-read).
Caitlyn
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
"Guest Law" was my favorite.
Robert L Hutcherson Jr
Great collection!

Enjoyed the varieties of writing styles brought together here. Look forward to reading more of the series of these anthologies.
A~
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I forgot to review when I read so I can't comment on it specifically, except to say I finished it so it didn't stink. Still think the editor is a bit of a sf snob.
Hank Hoeft
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm reading the "Year's Best SF" series in order,and so far, of anthologies 1, 2, and 3, I think this volume has a higher percentage of stories I really enjoyed.
Iva
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved The Firefly Tree, Guest Law, Yeyuka, The Voice, and Beauty in the Night.
bluetyson
Year's Best SF 3 by David G. Hartwell (1998)
Danny

• The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume 3
  • The Best of Poul Anderson
  • Redshift: Extreme Visions of Speculative Fiction
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
  • Superheroes
  • A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume One
  • The Other End of Time
  • The Best of Robert Silverberg
  • None So Blind
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
David Geddes Hartwell was an American editor of science fiction and fantasy. He worked for Signet (1971-1973), Berkley Putnam (1973-1978), Pocket (where he founded the Timescape imprint, 1978-1983, and created the Pocket Books Star Trek publishing line), and Tor (where he spearheaded Tor's Canadian publishing initiative, and was also influential in bringing many Australian writers to the US market ...more

Year's Best SF (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Year's Best SF