Start by marking “Explain Pain” as Want to Read:

Explain Pain

Explain Pain by David Butler and Dr. Lorimer Moseley is an evidence based book designed for therapists, patients and students. It answers the most common questions asked by pain sufferers: 'why do I hurt?' and 'what can I do for my pain?' Written in simple language that anyone can understand, it encourages patients to move better and research shows that they will have less ...more
Spiral-bound, 129 pages
Published October 1st 2003 by Rittenhouse Book Distributors (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Explain Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Explain Pain

Start your review of Explain Pain
Amadeus Bishop
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Explain Pain
Pain is a broad term to explain the brains response to stimulus and action potentials within the body which open nerves and send signals back to the brain. Explain pain emphasises how it is largely mental and when living with pain managing it contributes mentally more than it does physically. Pain management is something which requires continuous conscious effort and attention without it pain management does not occur to at the optimal level. Following are the recap points.
• All p
Amy
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After 25 years of chronic pain from CRPS, this book is a godsend--actual neuro scientific explanations for all of the strangeness that is long term pain--the flares, the spreads, the panic. It's a long awaited book for patients everywhere. I just wish pain clinics knew all of this info and could pass it on to others. I do wish it was more affordable. ...more
John Beattie
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent resource for understanding how pain works in our brains and nervous systems. The text is delivered in a non technical way for ease of understanding and is very informative.
I recommend this book to anyone suffering from chronic pain. This book will help you understand why you still have pain and show you how to deal with it in a sensible and practical manner.
I would dare to suggest that some therapists and medical specialists might be enlightened by reading a copy as wel
Riku Sayuj
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, running, physio
Deservedly a classic. Does a great job of illustrating what pain means and helping us process it in the right manner. Don't freak out, work with the pain, and you can not only overcome it, but actually improve overtime. The last section on how to train with injury, managing pain in the process, is the best part of the book. Overall, the illustrations and the quirky presentation does a great job of simplifying a complex subject ...more
Annalie
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely essential reading for everybody in the fitness industry, for every health professional and for every person who suffers chronic pain. Based on recently researched, solid science. It is easy and entertaining to read.
Tori
Dec 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My physical therapist recommended this book to help ease my back pain. Besides a text book, I have never paid $70 for a book but this one was well worth it.
Tara Dawkins
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptional book on neuroplasticity and pain science. I love the accessibility this book offers - both to clinicians and those dealing with any prolonged pain issues - and how it allows the reader to grasp an often times tricky topic by introducing topics in way that doesn’t overwhelm but reassures. I look forward to implementing these techniques with patients in clinic and am glad to have a reference to use personally and refer patients to as well.
Dan George
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great whistle stop tour of how our bodies perceive pain and how it can affect our feeling of pain.
Claudine Carmel
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was recommended to me by a physical therapist for back pain and it does explain pain very well in an easy to understand way, the last few pages which were to do with moving past the pain seemed brief but since reading the book I have had less pain. What I took away from it which is what I think a physical therapist is to go slow, gradually raising your activity level knowing your pain won't hurt you (most importantly), doing exercises similar to the movements you want to do in different way ...more
Linda Van roo
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listening-books
What an informative book. If you ever are worried about your pain, this is the book to read. Easy to listen to and good language used. Listening book much better than reading the book despite them being the same. Should be part of reading list for any student that has to work with patients. Excellent for lay people to get a good understanding about their pain and wanting to try make a change.
Melanie
Sep 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Very insightful with new information that gives hope. Although I do understand that perhaps it is not a "wide market" sale item and therefore supply and demand may require a higher price than the average book. The price still appeared restrictive and a bit baffling to me. ...more
Firmansyah Purwanto
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physiobooksclub
If anyone want to understand what pain is... this book is the best resource for you.. Lorimer Moseley & David Butler are the leader of pain neuroscientist. Worth read!
Amy
Mar 14, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who experiences all manner of chronic pain (that I won't bother listing here, but trust me, it's a LOT), this was an interesting look at the mechanics of pain. How pain is triggered in your brain (it's not always an injury), and how your brain can sort of get out of sync with reality when it comes to how much pain you are experiencing in relation to how injured you actually are (or in many cases, aren't).

There are also some useful tips on how to break the pain cycle, and help get your
Michael Perkins
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a solid layman's book on the overall topic of pain. My ranking, however, is extra high because of the book's treatment of the problem of chronic pain. The book was worth the price for that alone.

The book was recommended to me by my physical therapist and from it I finally got an honest explanation of what's going on with chronic by authors fully qualified in the field to impart this knowledge.

I am a doctor's kid. And a professional researcher. I live in an area where I have had the oppo
Farid Medleg
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am so blessed to have come into the healthcare profession as this book was published. I was saved from having to undergo too much of a paradigm shift as a professional when it came to understanding the biology of pain, and therefore, how to treat it. The fruits this text bore for me were immediate with patients.
This book is mandatory reading for all healthcare professionals. It provides an easily accessible source of information to help reset one's education, and therefore, improve their prac
Oliver Hodson
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing, lucid exposition of pain and the current research and treatment. I had a diagnosis of CRPS in my ankle, and some bone spurs. I had this book that I didn’t read until later, and I had a surgical option and I had a physiotherapy and brain training option. I am so glad I had clinicians who were exposed to the work of this NOI group and this book, as I learnt techniques to get my pain under control. I was able to isolate, in my opinion, what was the pain related to the mechanical pr ...more
Sterling Hill
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
KINDLE DOWNLOAD? YOU CANNOT READ THIS ON ANYTHING BUT KINDLE FIRE 8

This is an odd entry but I want to warn anybody who goes through the effort to get their library to get this book in Kindle format that the ONLY KINDLE THAT WILL READ IT IS KINDLE FIRE 8. NOT kidding - it will NOT open on iOS iPhone or iPad Kindle but I did find I could open it on a google pixel android phone but the text is so very TINY and will not stretch.

PUBLISHER'S NOTE - OCTOBER 2018: We have worked extensively to update
Christine McCann
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really fascinating and useful book, especially for anyone who has suffered chronic pain. As much as I knew that our brains create all our experience, this taught me a lot about how context and memory influence not just the ability to cope with pain, but the literal level of pain felt.

The book has a lot of theory, all packaged in friendly and straightforward terms any layperson can understand. Then it ends with descriptions of various exercises one can try (in conjunction with professional medi
Veronica Jäderlund
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, health, science
A must read for anyone who's working, or interested in, health, movement and well being.

The book is so pedagogical. Everything from the bare facts, to how to relate to pain, and explore ones own pain, is explained in a clear and easy to access way, without removing from the complexity that the "pain corporation" infers.

And coming from the yoga community where fear mongering seems to be a natural part of teaching, I feel liberated after reading this book. And filled with a renewed faith in my awe
Ezequiel Foncubierta
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended by my physiotherapist. I'm suffering chronic pain in both of my tibial posterior muscle. Apparently it's a naturopathic pain, as after many scanners they haven't found any damage in the tissues. This book explains how pain is produced, and how most of the time that pain is due to the brain overreacting or receiving the wrong messages from the sensors in the nerves. Hopefully by understanding that sometimes pain doesn't mean damage, we can reprogram our brain to ignore it. Whether eff ...more
Kaley
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
For anyone experiencing chronic pain (or with a loved one struggling with chronic pain), this is a very educational and accessible book for the topic. There's a lot of material covered in this book and it can definitely be more abstract and science-heavy. Yet the authors do a great job and making it approachable and understandable, even if you don't have a science/medicine background. Would highly recommend to help understand the pain and the many reasons behind it. ...more
Lucy
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually found this book super helpful and would recommend anyone with a CPD to read this.
It helped me so much and explained things to me in a way that no other person on Earth has been able to, it just flicked a switch and got through to me. It might not have made my pain management any better but it's certainly opened up my mind. I think this book is so helpful.
Is
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All necessary info on chronic pain in one book. With scientific support. A bible for those who want to understand where science is on this at this point and what this can mean for your pain management. Or for professionals/practitioners who want tools to explain this.
It’s a bit simplistic but it’s clear, concise and scientifically based.
Jill
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
An excellent explanation of pain and in particular how chronic pain develops. The brain-body feedback mechanisms which enhance pain are clearly explained and suggestions for changing this are clear and easy to follow. Back pain is the main focus of the examples if the pain management section, but the suggestions would work for anyone experiencing chronic pain.
Fred Rose
Mar 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
First of course, way overpriced. There is a lot of information condensed in a readable form so kudos for that. Would like to have seen more on methods and implementation, without having to buy another book. I've had chronic pain my whole life but still learned some things. It's good for reassessing your mindset, which is so important. ...more
Annie Kate
For anyone who deals with chronic pain, and for those who love them. This was recommended by my daughter's physiotherapist who specializes in chronic pain, and its principles have really helped my daughter.

Full review coming up on my blog within the next month or so.
Lyn
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, reviewed
As someone who has experienced chronic/persistent pain for 20+ years, I found this book to be helpful in building a better knowledge of pain. While there are areas that had me wanting more information, it was written in an understandable way without expecting a medical background.
Amanda
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book to help explain pain and how it works especially for people with chronic pain. I'd even recommend this for care givers or family who have someone who is in pain just to give an insight into what they are going through. ...more
Chelsey
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very useful for clinicians as well as patients. I hope to introduce the concepts in this book to some (if not all) chronic pain patients in my practice. Also very useful in my personal experience with chronic pain.
Katrina Dreamer
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Recommended by my PT. This is a great companion to the Curable app, which also makes the brain-pain connection. Explains the science and leaves you with real-world techniques you can apply immediately.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training
  • Exercised: Why Something We Never Evolved to Do Is Healthy and Rewarding
  • The Explain Pain Handbook Protectometer
  • Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers
  • The Brain that Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
  • Secret Lives Super Boxset: A Collection Of Riveting Mysteries
  • Treasure Island
  • What a Flanker
  • Kind of Hindu
  • Please Like Me (But Keep Away)
  • Livewired: The Inside Story of the Ever-Changing Brain
  • Help Is On the Way
  • Big Shot
  • Searching for Coach Taylor
  • Practical Programming for Strength Training
  • Once Upon a Time in Silver Lake
  • The Weekend

News & Interviews

“La cantidad de dolor que experimenta un sujeto está influenciada por cualquier persona que esté alrededor.
En experimentos de dolor, los hombres muestran un umbral de dolor más alto si son evaluados por mujeres. Asimismo, cuando están acompañados por su esposa, los pacientes con una esposa muy atenta y cariñosa sufrirán más dolor que aquellos que tienen una esposa menos afectuosa y atenta. Pregúntate por qué.”
0 likes