Start by marking “13 Things Mentally Strong Women Don't Do: Own Your Power, Channel Your Confidence, and Find Your Authentic Voice for a Life of Meaning and Joy” as Want to Read:

International bestselling author and leading global expert on mental strength Amy Morin turns her focus to feminism, explaining what it means--and what it takes--to be a mentally strong woman in the age of the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements.The emergence of the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements have awakened society and encouraged women to find their voice and claim their ...more
Audio CD
Published December 31st 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about 13 Things Mentally Strong Women Don't Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 13 Things Mentally Strong Women Don't Do

Start your review of 13 Things Mentally Strong Women Don't Do: Own Your Power, Channel Your Confidence, and Find Your Authentic Voice for a Life of Meaning and Joy
Jayyan Al-Bailasan
1. They don't compare themselves to other people.
2. They don't insist on perfection.
3. They don't see vulnerability as a weakness.
4. They don't let self-doubt stop them from reaching their goals.
5. They don't overthink everything.
6. They don't avoid tough challenges.
7. They don't fear breaking the rules.
8. They don't put others down to lift themselves up.
9. They don't let others limit their potential.
10. They don't blame themselves when something goes wrong.
11. They don't stay silent.
12. They
KC
An average score as far as self-help books go. That being said, I can see how many would benefit tremendously from her words and suggestions. The format is simple and is broken down in an approachable manner. A huge complaint I have though is there is so much man bashing in this book and no women bashing. Women can treat other women just as horrendously as men but it's not mentioned.
Rachel
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm filing this one away for future reference, but my quick and dirty read of this Advanced Review Copy is positive. Morin is re-treading familiar territory, but manages to put a new spin on the topic with her case studies and examples in each chapter. The book is perfectly fine in a normal straight-through read, but could also work well as individual topics for introspection or journal explorations. I also think it could work well for a reader to tackle the chapters as they apply to the ...more
Carl Handy
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had past relationships and friendships with women who weren't mentally strong and it was both confusing and frustrating to deal with. These were amazing women with great potential but always spoke negatively about themselves.

This book helped put into perspective why they were that way and what I can do differently to better help.

More men should be reading this!
Shannon
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear, concise, well laid out, and inspirational. I got a lot out of this book.
Andrienne
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Amy Morin’s 13 Things Mentally Strong...series and this is a great addition. Even though the list contains familiar precepts, the meat of the text is in the examples and in the sound advice. Her expertise really shines through. If anything, this book is a great reminder when unhealthy thoughts creep in.

Thanks to the publisher for the advance reading copy.
Sofia The Great
I really enjoyed this book and found it to be very well researched. It had a lot of helpful tips and great motivation. I would recommend it for others to read.
Anisha
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, self-help
to write later!
Shawna P.
I have been on a self help book kick this year, hence why I am not reading as much as I normally do, because for some reason, self help books take me longer to read. Nevertheless, I continue to read them and occasionally come across ones that seem like they were written for me.

Girl, I know there are other books that are getting way more traction and hype, but this one tops those. I struggle with a lot of self confidence issues that also play into other facets of my life/personality. This
Lauren Hillman
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's very rare for me to find a self help book I enjoy. It's extra rare when I finish it. But I enjoyed this book a lot. But my rating is only for books in the self improvement category.

What I liked:

- Chapters each had enough anecdotes woven in to feel like a story so I could enjoy it
- Advice was simple and practical
- Statistics and factoids worked into each chapter were what really interested me - in particular because in every case there was evidence about how women are set up to fail in all
Lisa Gremillion
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the book I expected, but I was very much surprised and pleased with it! I never really thought I wasn't "mentally strong", but this definitely offers great tips for improving. As a mom of daughters, it made me more aware of the challenges they will encounter in their lives, challenges that I've encountered and didn't even realize they were a source of anxiety and frustration. I am so glad I listened to this book! There were times when the author was a little long-winded about a topic ...more
Sara
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readin19
Some helpful stuff here, but it could’ve been a quarter of the number of pages. I still gave it three stars because it addressed what many self-help type books don’t: the systems (i.e. patriarchy, capitalism) in place that create an atmosphere in which only certain types of people and personalities are held up as templates for the rest of us.
Aubrey Kelley
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
May not be a 5 star reading for everyone, but I felt like this was helpful and gave me practical tips to start big and small changes. It also helped me see and learn my own incorrect patterns or thinking, reasons why I respond the way I do and how to improve the way I think and feel. I loved the case studies and felt like I could relate to a majority of her clients and scenarios. I appreciate the authentic sharing and perspectives given in this book. ...more
Megan Rymski
This book was okay. It was a lot of the methods and strategies I’ve read in other books and not much new content. That being said, all very good things to keep in mind as a woman.
Babe of Darkness
Didn’t learn anything new from this read.
Proves we have all the answers within we just need to ask the right questions.
Believe in yourself, never apologize for who you are and go balls to the wall in everything you do.
Erin
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really important reminders. Morin’s style is incredibly gentle and kind.
lily
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Morin's books. I think this one is something women everywhere must read because it tackles a lot of ways women are brought up and the downsides of leaning into those tendencies. But she does so with illustrative examples and positive action items everyone can learn from. I know there are plenty of stories in this book that felt relatable and many questions I seriously want to sit down and ask myself. A great book for reflection and action.
Nicole
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
13 Things Mentally Strong Women Don't Do felt so good to take in. The book encourages women to build their mental muscles so they can become the strongest and best versions of themselves, as well as create a ripple effect that will inspire others to become mentally stronger. I want to think that I'm mentally strong, but I am self-aware and know that I will always have to continue to work on myself. I felt free and a sense of relief while reading this book, as it provided great reminders of what ...more
Christina Cawrse
Great book! Highly recommend for any woman at any age!
Lee Woodruff
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve covered this series of books before, but I found this one particularly interesting as the mother of three daughters during a time when it seems more important than ever to help women find their own voice and channel confidence that can lead to lives with more joy and meaning. OK, that was a mouthful and it sounded like shrink speak, but there is a lot in this book that’s relevant to the mature woman as well. Morin covers everything from social comparison and pressure to social media and ...more
Rebecca
The format of this book is one that doesn't need to be read chapter by chapter, the reader can shuffle and choose what one to go too. I especially liked that it was celebrities telling how they have it all and still get to have meals with the family and solo vacations. Never mentioning the assistants and nannies who make it possible. It is everyday people, even the author shares her moments of being blindsided by life. I think it is a good book for young women to read, especially in the this in ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
A great book to help you navigate through life using you own gifts and powers. It also helps you to become an authentic person who has authentic relationships. I love that it is well laid out, with some great tips, in an easy to reference way. You can read this book cover to cover or reference tips along the way. I think this book is fantastic for those woman wanting to instill more confidence into daily interactions and to face challenges with some fierce and helpful techniques.
Erin
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was just “ok”. I didn’t have any new revelations while reading it and didn’t feel overly empowered to change my life because of it. But if this is your first “self-help” book ever, you might benefit from it more than I did.
Christy
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up as I thought "what woman doesn't need improvement and to believe in her mental Strength?" Tried to parse it out to a daily chapeter-a-day thing, but ended up reading non-stop. Plenty of highlighted sections to work on!
Passing on the sisterly strength love by giving this book to a friend. Fully intend to tell her to pass it on!
Jacquelyne
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is solid with research references that open engaging discussions on unique challenges women face and ways to overcome them. This would be an excellent choice for a women's book club.
N.
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not big on self-help books but I've seen 13 Things Mentally Strong Women Don't Do everywhere and was curious about whether it might contain some helpful tips. So, when it came available for review I signed up (my thanks to HarperCollins for the review copy).

I found that many of the chapters absolutely don't apply to me. I am, for example, completely open to reinventing myself and love trying new things. So, I occasionally would begin skimming a chapter (although I picked up the pace but
Tammy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love that she admits she hasn't mastered all of them but still tries. She talks about things I didn't even realize I did! I'm so thankful for this advice and now walk and feel more confident.
Megan Rosol
A very good, methodical, instructive advice/practical tips by a therapist on women dealing with sexism, misogyny, social pressures, professional disadvantages, and more.

A frugal way to get some extra therapy.
Autumn Iris
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helped me see the root of my problems.
« previous 1 3 next »

• You Are a Badass Every Day: How to Keep Your Motivation Strong, Your Vibe High, and Your Quest for Transformation Unstoppable
  • Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • Calm the F*ck Down: How to Control What You Can and Accept What You Can't So You Can Stop Freaking Out and Get On With Your Life
  • Be Calm: Proven Techniques to Stop Anxiety Now
  • Brave, Not Perfect: Fear Less, Fail More, and Live Bolder
  • Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter & Organize to Make More Room for Happiness
  • Women with Money: Create the Joyful, Less Stressed, Purposeful Life You Want with the Money You Have
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • La strada che va in città
  • Marriageology: The Art and Science of Staying Together
  • Emotional First Aid: Practical Strategies for Treating Failure, Rejection, Guilt, and Other Everyday Psychological Injuries
  • How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t: 14 Habits that Are Holding You Back from Happiness
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • 55, Underemployed, and Faking Normal: Your Guide to a Better Life
  • The Twits, the Minpins & the Magic Finger
  • When Life Gives You Pears: The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny People
  • Best Self: Be You, Only Better
Amy Morin is a licensed clinical social worker, psychotherapist and a lecturer at Northeastern University. She's a regular contributor to Forbes, Psychology Today, and Inc. She's also a parenting expert for Verywell.

Her article, "13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do," has been viewed by more than 50 million readers.

Her book explains the personal story behind that article and provides