Jump to ratings and reviews

Last Summer

From the Amazon Charts and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of the Everything series comes a new novel of love, lies, and deceit.

Lifestyle journalist Ella Skye remembers every celebrity she interviewed, every politician she charmed between the sheets, and every socialite who eyed her with envy. The chance meeting with her husband, Damien; their rapid free fall into love; and their low-key, intimate wedding are all locked in her memory. But what she can’t remember is the tragic car accident that ripped her unborn child from her. Ella can’t even recall being pregnant.

Hoping to find the memories of a lost pregnancy that’s left her husband devastated and their home empty, Ella begins delving into her past when she’s assigned an exclusive story about Nathan Donovan, a retired celebrity adventurer who seems to know more about her than she does him. To unravel the mystery of her selective memory loss, Ella follows Nathan from the snowcapped Sierra Nevada to the frozen slopes of southeast Alaska. There she discovers the people she trusts most aren’t the only ones keeping secrets from her—she’s hiding them from herself. Ella quickly learns that some truths are best left forgotten.

297 pages, Kindle Edition

First published July 9, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kerry Lonsdale

10 books2,791 followers
Kerry Lonsdale is the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Amazon Charts & #1 Kindle bestselling author of standalone and series-based emotionally charged domestic drama with over twenty-seven foreign language translations. She lives in Northern California with her husband, college-aged kids, and two cats.

Hang out with Kerry inside her private Facebook group, Kerry's Tiki Lounge.

Connect with her in Instagram: @kerrylonsdale

Get her latest books news right in your inbox: Kerry's newsletter

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 976 reviews
Profile Image for Kerry.
Author 10 books2,791 followers
May 29, 2020
I am ecstatic to bring you my next project, LAST SUMMER. Thank you for adding my book to your Goodreads shelf. And when it comes up on your to-be-read pile of books, thank you for reading. I can’t wait for you to discover what my next protagonist, Ella Skye, has in store for you. Enjoy! Kerry xo

PS: LAST SUMMER is a stand-alone book, and not part of a series. It’s my first stand-alone since ALL THE BREAKING WAVES. I’ve been told by several early readers that LAST SUMMER is compulsively readable, so my apologies in advance for any lack of sleep because you couldn’t put the book down. :) BTW, those are the best kinds of books. I love it when I can get sucked into a story and suffer from a book hangover when I finish.
Profile Image for Berit Talks Books.
1,999 reviews15.7k followers
August 1, 2019
WOW! Kerry Lonsdale Took me on a wild and crazy ride with this fast-paced addictive story! And let me tell you what when I got off this ride my mind was spinning, what the actual... Ella wakes up in the hospital to discover that she has lost her baby, the problem is she does not remember being pregnant. I know what you’re thinking. I know you think you know where this book is going. But I can guarantee you that you do not! This book twisted and turned. It was dark, disturbing, and distressing. My opinions of Ella, her husband Damien and then later Nathan bounced all over the place sometimes changing in the middle of a paragraph. You do need to suspend believe for parts of the story, but believe me you’re going to want to. Because even though you will not always like these characters you will completely be sucked into their lives. And need to know what it is that Ella forgot AND why.

*** Big thanks to Lake Union for my copy of this book ***
Profile Image for Larry H.
2,440 reviews29.4k followers
September 10, 2019
4.5 stars.

Whoa.

Ella Skye is a journalist for Luxe Avenue magazine, a job which allows her to interact with celebrities, politicians, artists, scientists, anyone making news. She's never been above using her sex appeal, her intelligence, and her cunning to get what she wants—even her husband Damien, the handsome, high-profile owner of an internet security firm.

But one night she wakes up in the hospital, dealing with a story even she doesn't want to handle. Apparently she was in a car accident and she miscarried her baby after more than five months of pregnancy. She discovers that not only can't she remember the accident or the events leading up to it, but worse than that, she doesn't even remember being pregnant.

Her selective amnesia is devastating to Ella, and it puts a serious strain on her relationship with Damien. It's almost as if he doesn't believe that she can't remember being pregnant, like somehow she's forgetting on purpose. Months after the accident her memory is no better.

"Our minds can be sneaky. They'll plant false memories when we can't make sense of something and bury others when we can't deal. Your memories are there, but for whatever reason, you can't retrieve them."

When Ella gets the opportunity to pick back up a writing assignment that had been shelved, focusing on Nathan Donovan, the handsome host of a now-canceled wilderness survival program, she jumps at it. Not only will this exclusive help advance her career at the magazine, but when she realizes she has no memories of this man at all despite having spent two weeks with him, she wonders if somehow he is the key to retrieving her lost memories.

Why can't Ella remember being pregnant? Why can't she remember Nathan, despite the fact that she shared with him some of the most intimate details of her life? Is this amnesia really the result of the accident, or did something else occur? Ella finds herself at a crossroads as she tries to figure out whether she and Damien still have a future, and if she can ever recapture her past.

Kerry Lonsdale's Last Summer was really fascinating and it hooked me from start to finish. While some of the plot is fairly predictable, Lonsdale threw some twists in as well, but it is her storytelling that drives this book. I didn't necessarily like any of the characters the more I got to know them, but I absolutely needed to know how (and if) Lonsdale was going to tie everything up.

Sometimes when I read books I can totally see them as movies, and Last Summer is definitely one of those. It's a compelling story you won't be able to get out of your mind—unless you're Ella, that is!

See all of my reviews at itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com.

Check out my list of the best books I read in 2018 at https://itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-best-books-i-read-in-2018.html.

You can follow me on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/the.bookishworld.of.yrralh/.
Profile Image for Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader.
2,056 reviews30k followers
July 20, 2019
This is my second book from Kerry Lonsdale, and I love it just as much as the first.

Ella Skye is a lifestyle journalist who interviews celebrities and politicians alike. She also crosses the line sometimes with those she interacts and has had an escapade or two.

But then she meets, Damien, and quickly falls in love and marries. She remembers every detail of their whirlwind romance, but not the tragic accident that causes her to lose her pregnancy. The whole pregnancy is wiped from her memory.

Ella is searching for answers, for memories. She is assigned a story about Nathan Donovan, a celebrity who knows things about her even she doesn’t know. She follows Nathan to gather answers, and she learned the truth may not set her free.

Last Summer is filled with tension and suspense! I wanted to know more about Ella right alongside her. All the characters are richly drawn and real. There’s equal parts drama and darkness here.

My favorite aspect of Lonsdale’s books is the effortless writing that makes for effortless reading. I slammed this book so fast, and I loved every minute. While you may think you have heard a storyline similar to Ella’s before, I can assure you this is a fresh take that will keep you guessing.

Overall, Last Summer is a compelling drama perfect for summer reading or any time of year!

I received a complimentary copy. All opinions are my own.

My reviews can also be found on my blog: www.jennifertarheelreader.com
Profile Image for DJ Sakata.
3,009 reviews1,736 followers
July 29, 2019
I quickly succumbed to Ms. Lonsdale's magic and tumbled right into an oddly unsettling yet mesmerizing vortex inhabited by her troubled characters. In case you haven't figured it out yet, Ms. Lonsdale is deviously talented with the word voodoo! My opinions and feelings towards her characters turned on a dime, I couldn’t decide who was to be believed as none seemed trustworthy and all appeared to be harboring layer upon layer of secrets, tragic losses, and deep-seated issues that I was extremely curious to unearth. The writing was emotive and highly moody while the storylines were maddeningly paced and cunningly crafted. I was deeply annoyed and beyond irritated with each character in turn and biting my cuticles and lips with the ever-increasing and ratcheting tension. It was stellar!
Profile Image for Erin Clemence.
1,007 reviews298 followers
February 21, 2019
Special thanks to the author, the publisher and NetGalley for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.

Ella Skye is a journalist and has spent her life keeping, sharing and spilling secrets. After a few years of torrid affairs with her celebrity clients, Ella settles down and marries entrepreneur Damien, and the two begin a relatively quiet life together. When Ella wakes up in a hospital room after a tragic car accident and is told of the baby she had miscarried, Ella is not grieving or hurt but merely confused. Why does she not remember even being pregnant? What happened the night of the accident and why can’t Ella remember? When her husband starts being elusive, Ella begins to investigate on her own with the help of an old client, world renowned celebrity adventurer, Nathan Donovan. Ella quickly learns, however, that Nathan may have more information than she bargained for- information that may ruin her career and even her marriage.

I have read every novel that Kerry Lonsdale has published, from her Everything We Keep series, to the collection of short stories
A Thousand Doors: An Anthology of Many Lives . That being said, the oppourtunity to be able to read her new one had me over the moon with excitement.

This novel has a common, almost overdone, premise. A young woman loses her memory, through a tragic accident, and then spends the rest of the novel trying to put together the missing pieces. In “Last Summer” however, there are so many twists and turns that this novel is neither boring nor predictable.

Lonsdale’s characters are always intensely human. They have an innocence and a naiveté, yet also a fierce bravery and strength. Ella Skye is no different; a woman with many flaws and a passionate heart who is desperate to reconnect with her beloved husband. The novel is told in sequence (for the most part; there are occasions where Ella reflects on how she met her husband and how their relationship has gotten to this point), which contributes to the easy flow of the novel. The storyline is powerful, and the message is both intensely dark, yet powerfully dramatic, weaving a tale of the lengths one goes to to keep and protect the one they love.

Fans of Everything We Keep will adore this novel, but it is most definitely a standalone work. There are so many twists and turns before the ending of “Summer”, that readers will have all of their assumptions turned on their heads. It wraps up in a nice little package, but it will take you on heck of a ride to get there.
Profile Image for Amy.
1,799 reviews1,854 followers
July 15, 2019
I’ve been a huge fan of KL’s books since her debut and this book is such a big departure from her books, but in a really awesome way! Her other books have been solidly Women’s Fiction and this was much edgier and much sexier than her previous books and I loved every single page.

This was basically the definition of a binge read for me, I was supposed to be buddy reading it with my friends Chelsea and Jamie and ended up tearing through it because I seriously could NOT put it down! It was such a fast and well paced read, full of shocks and surprises that I finished it on record time because I was just as eager to learn what happened last summer as Ella was.

Memory loss is nothing new in books but KL manages to put her own unique spin on it that was totally unexpected and incredibly fascinating. Besides that angle, you have this surprisingly steamy side that I wasn’t expecting at all, but I really loved it and felt like it gave the whole thing a really cool edge. I’m always impressed when authors try something new from their usual style and I’m so impressed by what KL did here. This was a highly entertaining and wildly addictive read that is perfect for summer!

Last Summer in three words: Compulsive, Sexy and Tense

Profile Image for Lisa.
607 reviews229 followers
May 26, 2019
An imaginative and intriguing psychological drama about lies, deceit and memory loss.

SUMMARY
Ella Skye is at the top of her game as a lifestyle journalist. Her assignments are the rich and famous, and she remembers every celebrity and politician she has interviewed. The chance meeting with Damien Russell, a wealthy entrepreneur; their love at first sight romance; and their low-key, intimate wedding are all locked in her memory. She can even remember Damien telling her he never wanted children. But what she can’t remember is the tragic car accident that landed her in the hospital and killed her unborn child. Ella can’t even recall being pregnant. And why would she even be pregnant if her husband didn’t want children?

Hoping to find her lost memories, Ella begins delving into her past trying to remember her pregnancy. The baby’s newly decorated room, and the maternity clothes mean nothing to her. At work, she’s assigned an exclusive story about Nathan Donovan, a celebrity adrenaline-junkie adventurer who seems to know more about her than she does him. To unravel the mystery of her selective memory loss, Ella follows Nathan from Sierra Nevada mountains to the frozen slopes of southeast Alaska. She soon discovers the people she trusts the most aren’t the only ones keeping secrets from her—she’s hiding them from herself. Ella quickly learns that some truths are best left forgotten.

REVIEW
If you could make a bad memory disappear, would you? LAST SUMMER is an imaginative and intriguing story. It’s a psychological drama exploring the limits of lies, deceit and secrets in relationships. One page easily leads to another in this quick and engaging read.

LAST SUMMER is a beautiful blend of characters, setting and story. My favorite part was the cleverly plotted twists and turns. Kerry Lonsdale has plenty of tricks up her sleeve and you may pick up on a surprise or two. Her writing is first rate and Ella, Damien and Nathan‘s characters are delightfully well-drawn. Be sure to pack this gem on your summer beach trip! It’s coming out July 9, 2019

Kerry Lonsdale writes emotionally charged domestic drama, family suspense, and women’s fiction. She is co-founder of the Women’s Fiction Writers Association, an international organization that boasts over 1,000 writers, Kerry resides in Northern California with her husband, two children, two naughty kitties, and an aging Golden Retriever convinced she’s still a puppy.

Thanks to Netgalley, Kerry Lonsdale and Lake Union Publishing for an advance reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Publisher Lake Union Publishing
Published July 9, 2019
Review www.bluestockingreviews.com

Profile Image for Laura Peden.
653 reviews111 followers
July 14, 2019
This book was frustrating and good at the same time. Nothing really happens the first 60-70% and then it finishes strong. The main character irritated the living shit out of me too many times but I enjoyed the twists near the end. A quick summer read. Read on Audible with Kindle Unlimited.
Profile Image for Lisa Aiello.
846 reviews20 followers
March 22, 2019
Great googly moogly. That was such an amazing trip I just took. Come closer. I am going to admit something here. Generally, I know what I'm going to rate a book before I even finish it. A bit short-sighted, but whatever. They're my ratings to do with what I like. With this one, I loved the story, I loved the writing, I loved the characters, but something was bothering the heck out of me. And it was fact that this woman rightfully had so many questions, and she let all the people who could give her the answers off the hook time and time again. She let them placate her with all kinds of versions of "we'll talk later" or "not right now" or "after we have coffee" and myriad other excuses. It was infuriating. I was getting all "bitches be crazy" and thinking that there is no way in hell that anyone would have gotten away without answering every last question I had for one moment longer even if I had to lock them all in a room together and threaten to take away their cell phones so they'd HAVE to talk. So, I knew I was going to rate this 4 stars...and I kept plugging along. Now look back up there - yep, 5 stars. What turned it all around? Because it certainly wasn't my belief that any woman in her right friggin mind would be gullible enough to allow herself to be so easily shut down. Not to mention that our heroine is a journalist. She digs for the truth as her chosen career for all that is holy. Nope, it was the twists and turns this story took. There is such deceit and treachery and manipulation in the storyline, and it was brilliant. I did roll my eyes once and thought, "do you really expect me to believe this?". However, I picked my eyes back up, put them back in my head, and just went with the story. I stand here loudly clapping my hands and bowing to the talent and creativeness of Kerry Lonsdale. This is one author that I will easily read time and time again, just to see what she comes up with next!
Profile Image for Susan's Reviews.
1,039 reviews463 followers
April 21, 2019
My thanks to the author, the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

LAST SUMMER twists and turns and leaves you with a dropped jaw at the end of your reading journey.. The story opens with Ella Skye conducting an interview with a famous actress, who reveals that she knows the secret to erasing your sorrowful past memories. Right away, I was on the alert when, in the next chapter, I read that Ella has lost not only her memory, but a baby as well. Damien is perturbed and solicitous. Can Damian be trusted? And what about Nathan Donovan - how does he seem to know her so well? Ella becomes determined to investigate her own past and find out exactly what happened to her, hoping to remember the events leading up to her tragic memory loss. I don't want to go into any further details about the plot, because it would just mean one spoiler alert after the other.
I will say this though: when I reached the conclusion of this novel, I can't say that I liked the main characters very much, and the ending left me a tad dissatisfied. Kerry Lonsdale's fans will not be disappointed with this fast-paced, twist-filled read.
Profile Image for Michelle.
518 reviews46 followers
September 30, 2019
Review can be found on my blog here: https://booksonthebookshelf.wordpress...

....

Thank you to the publisher for a copy of this book to read and share my review.

....

Imagine waking up in the hospital having no idea what happened to bring you there in the first place. Your husband is there and you ask what is going on, and see that he is shocked that you cannot remember what happened. Well this is the situation that Ella finds herself in. She cannot remember the car accident, losing her baby, even the fact that she was pregnant. The last thing she does remember is preparing supper for herself and her husband Damien… which happens to be the night of the accident.

Suddenly, Ella finds her husband is acting strange around her – he appears distant, distracted, and is very vague with giving her any information. Ella cannot understand why he is acting like this and she needs answers, answers that will fill in the many gaps in her memory. Ella is asked to interview a man named Nathan Donovan, whom she previously interviewed about a year ago but has no memory of even meeting him.

This novel was gripping, edgy, twisty, and entertaining the whole way through. I enjoyed reading about Ella’s journey to regaining her memory and piecing all the puzzle pieces back together again for the full picture. The journey was happy and sad, exciting and frightening. A must read that you will love, to the shocking end!
Profile Image for Michele.
1,131 reviews
July 4, 2019
Holy Cannoli! What did I just read?? This was my first read by Kerry Lonsdale and now I want to drop everything and read her entire backlog. I absolutely inhaled this book in less than one day. I"m pretty sure my husband was ecstatic when he knew I had finally finished because no-one was talking to me until I did. I was obsessed with figuring out this storyline. I'm just blown away at the creativity. I loved it. Wowza.

That said, there were times when I was reading it where I got frustrated with several of the characters' actions. Now that I look back, it all makes sense. This was definitely one twisty tale and I enjoyed every word! My heart did break through a good portion of the book as our main character, Ella, lost her son at 21 weeks gestation in a car accident. However, her grief is different from most because she is unable to actually grieve Simon since she can't remember him or the pregnancy at all. Her search for the truth is baffling and that is where I will leave it because you will want to read this book without any spoilers from me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kelly Hill.
168 reviews1 follower
July 17, 2019
Oh man. So for like 2/3 of the book nothing happens. Like this woman has memory loss and just wanders around not asking people questions about why she has memory loss and no one cares to tell her. And when she does ask people are like “oh sorry I’m cooking dinner can we talk about your amnesia later?” And she’s like “okay cool!” And then you find out why she had memory loss and why no one would tell her and it’s so ridiculous. And in the last 1/3 of the book you get the discovery of the memory loss, an avalanche(???)) and a makeover with her brother?? And then there’s like 3 chapters at the end that are really short and are like “THIS IS THE TWIST” and the next one is like “THIS IS THE REAL TWIST” and its all so ridiculous.
Profile Image for Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks).
524 reviews197 followers
July 1, 2019
I spent an entire afternoon completely immersed in Kerry Lonsdale's upcoming book, Last Summer. Ella is suffering from memory loss after a car accident. She can't even remember being pregnant or losing the baby. As Ella and her husband, Damian, try to keep their marriage from imploding, devastating secrets are revealed. I'm hoping for a second book to continue this story!
Profile Image for Gina *loves sunshine*.
1,841 reviews68 followers
March 7, 2020
For some reason I looked at the cover of this book and thought fun beachy romance, right? last summer - ooh la la......definitely wrong - this is 100% women's contemporary thriller! And wowza it was the kind that has a billion flashbacks, secrets, amnesia, building of the story, multiple misleads, adventure, intrigue and a tiny romance. I always think thrillers make great audiobooks and this narration was really good! It's free with KU and as an ebook or audible!
Profile Image for Melike.
357 reviews
March 26, 2019
Ella wakes up in the hospital not being able to remember the car accident that cost her the life of her unborn baby, in fact, she can’t remember being pregnant at all. She tries to figure out the missing parts of her memory and she discovers secrets, lies, and betrayals along the way. The story kept my interest the whole time, I found the characters intriguing and I did not predict some of the turns and twists in the story. I could not put the book down, I was curious to see how it would end. The book also made me think of what I would do if I were in Ella’s shoes and what choices I would make. I honestly did not care for her that much and I found her husband Damien and Nathan, the retired adventure TV celebrity more interesting. Nevertheless, the book was entertaining and fun to read. Kudos to Kerry Lonsdale for writing another great novel.

Thank you NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for providing me with a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
318 reviews192 followers
October 13, 2019
“How far would you go to get what you want?“

The answer to that question for this desperate ‘love triangle’ of characters is definitely “all the way” and then some!

Admittedly I don’t read too much contemporary romantic fiction, however when this story kicked off, I was all for giving Ella and Damien a chance to impress me, as there is nothing wrong with a good romp and a large dose of slush, every once in a while!

Also, I was more than a little intrigued by Ella’s ‘selective memory loss’, which it turns out was deliberately induced. I had an interesting time checking out various sources on the subject, which for me personally, all adds to the enjoyment of a well researched book. I did also try empathising with Ella, when previous traumatic events in her life came to light, although I struggled with exactly how they influenced her current situation.

There was a bit of a tear-jerker to kick-start the storyline, a scenario which would have reduced even the hardiest of us to quivering wrecks and which I felt showed both Ella and Damien at their best, with their emotions laid bare, albeit in a very controlled way, which is exactly how I would envisage myself dealing with that same situation. There were plenty of half finished conversations and hints of deeper emotional problems, lying barely suppressed beneath a carefully constructed veneer of normality, which the couple were desperately trying to hold together, rather than confront their true feelings …. Or so you are led to believe, very convincingly at first, by some really clever narrative and dialogue by the author!

Then the cracks begin to show in this carefully choreographed dance, as Ella realizes there is more to her ‘amnesia’ than meets the eye and that somehow Damien is part of and at the heart of some well concealed truth, which he isn’t going to share willingly with her, leaving her feeling isolated and alone.

Enter Nathan, for Ella, no more than another journalistic assignment awarded by the magazine she works for … or so she thinks!

From that point on, the web of lies and deceit become exceedingly tangled, as Ella realises that she has actually known Nathan for some time, although she has no memory of him and any written proof of their meetings has been deleted from her notes and all her correspondence devices. Little by little, Ella pieces together events from her recent past, although she still doesn’t remember them ever happening to her, and she doesn’t particularly like what she discovers about herself – not that she is about to try and change anything, in fact if anything, her actions become more reckless and ill-considered, perhaps a true reflection on her own morals and definitely those of Damien, who seems to have manipulated just about every aspect of the sorry, sordid affair!

Who did what to who? Who said what and when? Who knew how and why? Who is lying to themselves and everyone else, and for what ends?

Kerry has woven the lives of these three individuals together and inextricably, into a twisted and intriguing storyline, which had me rooting for first one, then another of them, as the plot unravelled turn by turn, until I finally realised that you would struggle to find three more selfish, self-centred, egotistical, reprehensible excuses for human beings, without searching for a very long time. There was not one moral compass between them, if indeed there ever had been!

I am not certain that I took away the feelings from this story that the author necessarily intended should be the outcome, however my 4 out of 5 stars are awarded for the strong emotions that the characters and storyline evoked in me personally; for the intricately woven plot which was fluid until the very end, so kept me guessing nicely; and for some equally engrossing dialogue and narrative, which brought the characters to life on the pages.
Profile Image for Sonica.
405 reviews60 followers
July 10, 2019

*****
Actual 4.5

Thank you, Little Bird Publicity for my copy of Last Summer by Kerry Lonsdale, in exchange for an honest review. This title released July 9, 2019.

This was my first Lonsdale book and definitely will not be my last!

A psychological domestic drama having all the ingredients for a great binge read: sex, lies, secrets and betrayal *gasp*. This book grabbed my attention from the onset and I could not put it down! This story completely blew my mind, especially with that ending OH MY – did NOT see that coming. Just when you think you have the plot figured out, Lonsdale throws you a FAST curveball that will knock your socks off.

The entire first half of the book I was eager to know what the heck happened last summer and why Ella cannot remember select items from her recent past. Be patient because once it unfolds, you will gasping!

This was such a fun and engaging read, with short chapters and a story that twists and turns into directions you will not plan for in your mind as you are reading. An incredibly steamy read filled with suspense and a cast of unlikeable characters – this is one summer binge read you will not want to miss out on.

Grab a copy ASAP and when you do, make sure you have set aside some uninterrupted time for reading because once you start this one you will not want to put it down until you finish!
Profile Image for Jamie Rosenblit.
867 reviews492 followers
May 23, 2019
Coming off a wildly successful series, Kerry Lonsdale is back with her first stand-alone since the conclusion of the Everything series and she is back with a vengeance!

When Ella wakes up in the emergency room following a car accident and having suffered a miscarriage with absolutely no memories of ever being pregnant, she is desperate to piece together the gaps in her mind, but nothing is as it seems - not her marriage, her friendships and her career - including a piece on a famous outdoorsman she's been profiling. Strap yourself in for a fun (and sexy!) thrill ride as we go along with Ella as she tries to regain her memories and her sense of self!

Last Summer will have you gasping and wondering, what exactly happened last summer...and the answers may shock you. And just when you think you may have figured it out, be prepared for another shock. Last Summer is pure delightful summer fun and a wonderful thrill ride.

Thank you to Lake Union & Little Bird Publicity for an advanced copy. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Siobhan.
4,411 reviews463 followers
July 10, 2019
It was extremely difficult for me to decide upon a rating for Kerry Lonsdale’s Last Summer. It was a book that had me hooked, one I powered through in no time at all, but it was a bit too predictable for my liking. As much as I enjoyed watching everything come together, I worked out almost every detail very early in the story.

I can easily see Last Summer becoming a favourite of fans of suspenseful drama, the kind of books I refer to as domestic thrillers, as it’s a story built upon lies and deceit that slowly come to light. It’s a story filled with uncertainly, we watch as the main character slowly puts the pieces together, which works to explain the drama at the start of the book. It’s a story that plays out the exact way domestic thrillers should, ensuring you’ll be hooked throughout.

The fact I was hooked and enjoying things had me wanting to give this one a four-star rating. I could not put the book down and powered through it in a single sitting. Things happened rapidly and there was plenty of aspects to enjoy, and I adored this fact. As I mentioned at the start of my review, however, I worked everything out far too easily. There was one little surprise at the very end of the story, one thing that took it a step beyond what I’d expected, but otherwise I’d worked it out. It was fun, I enjoyed seeing the way everything came together, but I’d been hoping for more that just the one surprise. This is why I rounded my three-point-five-star rating down.

Despite the predictability, I did have a lot of fun with this one and would recommend it to fans of the genre. It’s certainly a story that hooks you, one that is a lot of fun.
Profile Image for Susan Peterson.
1,495 reviews245 followers
March 8, 2019
When Ella Skye wakes up in her hospital room, she doesn’t remember the accident that caused her to lose her baby—-in fact, she doesn’t remember being pregnant at all. This is the premise for Last Summer, an unputdownable, entertaining, and tantalizing book. Not only was I caught up in the twisty-turny suspense in this story, I was emotionally invested in the characters and the fact that love and pain were the catalyst for their intricate web of lies and deceit. I found myself conflicted about the choices they made and the depth of their dishonesty, because even though the characters were responsible for their questionable decisions, I could also sympathize with them. I applaud Kerry Lonsdale for her ability to gift us with brilliant storytelling, complex characters, and a story that will keep readers turning pages from the intriguing first page through the brilliant ending.
Profile Image for Brenda.
110 reviews7 followers
April 10, 2019
I’ve had this book to preview since February and got right into reading it. I,was only able to get to a few chapters done and then life got in the way and I had to set it aside. Going forward to April and I finally got the chance to start reading again and I finished this absolutely, awesome book in two days. This is Kerry Lonsdale’s first stand-alone book since finishing the “Everything” series and Kerry just keeps getting better and better!
This unputtdownable page-tuner had a plot twist that I didn’t expect what resulted and then there was another plot twist and then another! I verbally gasped a few times and exclaimed a few “wows” out loud! Then I came to the end and was hoping there was a next page because I wanted to know what the “double-click” brought next!
I can’t wait to see what Kerry Lonsdale writes for us next! But in the meantime, you have to read this book!
Profile Image for Barbara White.
Author 5 books1,107 followers
February 9, 2019
I was fortunate enough to read an early version of this manuscript. It is, without doubt, my favorite of Kerry's books: a rip-roaring adrenaline rush from the first page to the last. You don't know who to believe as the story--and hot sex scenes--unfolds with red herrings and whip-lash twists and turns which, although unexpected, make perfect sense. I have no doubt there will be comparisons to GONE GIRL, especially given the characters' personalities, but the story is not quite what you think it it. I will add that Damien might be one of my favorite characters ever. So good!
Profile Image for R.
619 reviews105 followers
July 27, 2019
What a wild read! I listened to the audio book and was engrossed from the beginning. It usually takes me three to four days to get through an audio book while I'm doing things around the house; however, I found myself sneaking away from my family and simply sitting and listening so that I could give it my undivided attention, and I finished it within a day and a half, which rarely happens.

The narration was great, and the puzzle was intricate. As I read, I kept wondering, "Why?" And then I knew--but not until the very end. That's the kind of mystery I love!
Profile Image for Jessica.
719 reviews610 followers
July 27, 2019
This fucked with my head in all the best ways! Oh, the suspense and the twists! Loved it!
Profile Image for Agnes (BookBubbe).
790 reviews55 followers
June 13, 2020
Ella Skye is a journalist for a magazine but when she is assigned to interview Nathan Donovan she didnt think things would become devastating to her. The story starts with her waking up in a hospital finding out she has lost her baby and having no recollection of ever being pregnant.

In order to unravel the mystery of her memory loss she backtracks to her interviews with Donovan only to find secrets that she never should have unfolded.

This book was one that I had a hard time putting down and stayed up late reading. Lonsdale brings romance, mystery, lies, secrets and deceit into this story. Can't wait for her next book. Thanks to NetGalley I received an ARC for an honest opinion. Place this one on your TBR list due out in July.
Profile Image for Arlyne B..
56 reviews
July 11, 2019
I was hooked on the suspense for a good part of the book, but then it became tedious. Every time, I thought I'm going to learn what was going on in Ella and Damian's marriage, he didn't want to talk about it, or didn't want to talk about it then; maybe tomorrow. Then, tomorrow there were other distractions. Then Nathan didn't want to talk about it before hiking. Over and over, the book was about not wanting to talk about what was going on, or what went on "last summer." It might have been a good short story, if only everyone talked about what really happened. Finally, what really happened was too far-fetched to be believed.

This was a disappointing read for me because I really liked "Everything we Keep." This was, unfortunately, not a keeper for me.
Profile Image for Mom_Loves_Reading.
366 reviews84 followers
October 22, 2019
“Last Summer” by Kerry Lonsdale (pub 7/9) is suspenseful, captivating, shockingly twisty and holds the readers attention mercilessly. I love all of Kerry's books. And this one was no exception. A real page turner! I read it in a day which says something about it for sure.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 976 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.