Start by marking “Bonds of Brass (The Bloodright Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Bonds of Brass (The Bloodright Trilogy #1)

Bonds of Brass

(The Bloodright Trilogy #1)

A young pilot risks everything to save his best friend--the man he trusts most and might even love--only to learn that he's secretly the heir to a brutal galactic empire.

Ettian Nassun's life was shattered when the merciless Umber Empire invaded. He's spent seven years putting himself back together under its rule, joining an Umber military academy and becoming the best
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about Bonds of Brass, please sign up.
torin_kylara Don't listen to Elias. Every Latinx I know uses the term, because it's easier when talking about groups of people or unknown genders. (And also less…moreDon't listen to Elias. Every Latinx I know uses the term, because it's easier when talking about groups of people or unknown genders. (And also less sexist, yes, because if the default when talking about a group of men and women is male, then yes, you are being sexist by ignoring the women in the group. But don't get me started on that.)

As for your question, I don't think so. I haven't heard anything about it in the recent press about the book.(less)

Start your review of Bonds of Brass (The Bloodright Trilogy #1)
Chaima ✨ شيماء
*slowly removes my heart-shaped sunglasses* did I just hear you say it's gay sci-fi with a bffs-to-lovers romance between a pilot and his best friend who’s (secretly) the prince of a galactic empire? has pretty much every trope that sings to my heart, including but not limited to: forbidden romance, “and there was only one bed”, fake dating, ANGST with a side of pining?
amy ☂︎
Jan 09, 2020 marked it as anticipated
emily skrutskie said if i can't have canon finnpoe i'll just do it myself and i respect that
Emily
Jul 12, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-did-this
BONDS OF BRASS is my big little troublemaker. It was the book I wrote in the spring of 2016—remember those days?—and it'd been the joyful light that's carried me through the time since then. It's made of secrets and lies and the ultimate question of how far you can trust someone who's been lying to you the entire time. It's got a half-burnt girl with a rainbow umbrella whom I love with my entire heart, and two disastrous bisexual boys who might bring the entire galaxy down around them for each ...more
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
Tor: We have the LGBT+ sci-fi market cornered, bitches

Del-Rey: WE'RE CHANGING OUR NAME TO DEL-GAY
Rebecca Roanhorse
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I blurbed this book and said: "An exciting YA space opera full of action and adventure that explores the bonds of loyalty and love and what happens when they are stretched to their limits."

Lots of fun, great tension between the characters, danger, excitement - it's all there. The resolution was a bit jarring but not fatally so. A solid YA space opera.
Emily A. Duncan
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this is one of my FAVORITE BOOKS I'VE READ THIS YEAR IT'S SO MUCH FUN.
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
this is so totally a finnpoe book isnt it

ill have 10
Rylee Richards
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Ultimately a gripping science-fiction that features a him-and-him star-crossed romance within a political landscape on the cusp of a revolution. One side came to power in blood while the other side seeks justice, and Ettian must decide where his loyalties lie.

Ettian, our protagonist, is in love with a boy that tests his loyalty to his origins. His family died during the revolution when he was a kid, and he's lost so much that he's content to simply be alive and fed. His priority now is
Benjamin (The Maniac)
Jan 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
With this book, my dreams are officially coming true.
Megan
EMILY SKRUTSKIE COULD NOT HAVE WRITTEN A BOOK THAT WAS MORE MY JAM IF SHE'D TRIED. THIS BOOK IS EXTREMELY MY SHIT AND I AM GOING TO BE INTERNALLY SHRIEKING ABOUT IT FOR THE NEXT YEAR I S2G

This book is extremely full of all my favorite things, and I cannot put into words my glee at every single page turn leading to MORE of my favorite things. They were roommates! There was only one bed! He's royalty! It's forbidden! They fake date! They pine! They kiss in the pilot's chair! Oh yeah, also there is
Sara
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, romance, sci-fi, 2020
I don't know why I self sabotage by reading the super addicting ARC of the 1st book of a trilogy!! the wait for book 2 will be endless and I'm on tenterhooks! UGH

Loved the gay star-crossed lovers, but there is A LOT of angst and war trauma that made me anxious at times, esp with the lack of communicating and the self sacrificing. I LOVED Wen and her rainbow umbrella weapon!!
Tara Sim
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BOYS GOOD. READ THE BOYS.
Jessica Cluess
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Imagine the most excellent mash up of Star Wars with the Road to El Dorado. Then imagine this mash up boats some of the most lovable characters you've seen in recent years. There are so many trash princes and good kids in this book. The action is a delight, and the world is expansive and colorful. Get it.
keikii Eats Books
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy shit. Preorder this. Just do it. I'll write my longer review a bit closer to release, and maybe by then I'll have ratcheted my jaw up from the hole it created in the earth as it fell.

ARC received from Del Rey Books on Netgalley. This did not affect my review.

To read more of my reviews, check out my blog at keikii Eats Books!
Cristina
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was A LOT OF FUN. Definitely on that crossover between young adult and adult, but it’s fast-paced and action-packed and the main characters are extremely fun to read about. I get why people are saying it’s a finnpoe book because it really is like that, if they were both younger and one was an heir to an empire. Def pick it up in April if you want to read something about some space shenanigans that actually lets itself be funny and a good time without having a character like K*lo R*n in it.
✨ emma ✨
Jan 16, 2020 marked it as to-read
why are all the reviews on this about finnpoe afhshdhdjsh what’s goin on
Rebecca Crunden
Jan 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbt-fiction, sci-fi
Sees description: two disastrous bisexual boys who might bring the entire galaxy down around them for each other

natalia
Jan 09, 2020 marked it as to-read
emily is the finnpoe warrior our nation needs i'm legit screaming!!!!!!
Lauren
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok wow. I loved this book so much. Get this one on your radar, folks. We have a best friends - but also enemies - romance. A lot of secrets and a lot of huge consequences for keeping them - and revealing them. We have space battles and deception and an amazing girl with a rainbow umbrella. The ending had me screaming!! WHAT. WAS. THAT. I was fascinated by the decisions that these characters made for each other. The lengths that Ettian and Gal went for the other, the secrets that played into ...more
Bria
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS! FUCKING! BOOK! I audibly yelled multiple times while reading the book ESPECIALLY at the ending and also at all the fun Easter eggs throughout and holy crap I loved this book a lot
Gretal
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Up until the last 5% of this book, it was going to be two stars, but I really enjoyed the ending and am excited to see where the sequel takes the storyline. Which is quite interesting because I wasn't actually enjoying the story all that much up until then, and I still don't particularly love all of the imperial stuff. In regards to the characters, I love my favorite chaos daughter Wen, while I feel very mixed about Ettian and Gal, unfortunately.
Kelsey
Jan 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
I have been told this will help fill the Finn/Poe shaped hole in my heart, I can't wait until April!
Asher
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn't looking for a YA title when I sat down to browse upcoming Science Fiction titles on NetGalley, but I was hooked the moment I read the summary of Bonds of Brass. A young man torn between a dead empire and his best friend who he's in love with? Sign me up! Bonds of Brass did not let me down. It gave me the will-they-or-won't-they romance that I desired, the fraught tension of duty and loyalty and the delicate dance of being true to yourself. Ettian, Gal, and Wen are delightful characters ...more
Elise
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*screeches into the void about the epilogue*
anyway I am so in love with this world and the (intergalactic) court politics in it. This book isn't even out yet and I desperately need the sequel (and for Wen to have about ten spin off novels)
I got this for the sci fi adventure NYCC 2019 book club option and I am very excited to discuss it. I don't read as much sci fi as I would like to, but I would recommend this for anyone who wants to dip into sci fi as it's not too heavy really. I can't wait to
booksneedcaffeinetoo
Feb 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
According to Emily's twitter this book contains:

"1. sick pilot tricks
2. streaking
3. a surprisingly sturdy rainbow umbrella
4. thirty dead Iron Mans
5. the minivan of starships (whose name transliterated is The Fucking Hell)"

AND it involves secret identities and space?!?!

THIS IS MY TYPE OF BOOK
Leo
Oct 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Do I smell friends to enemies to lovers? Because I think I do.

Also, I need to catch up on all of the Emily Skrutskie books
Chloe
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Spoiler free*

I originally passed by this book, first because I thought it was the sequel to Hullmetal Girls, second because I thought it was an adult book that for some reason wouldn't interest me. Well, the author tweeted something that this book has queer space boys, one of whom is a secret prince to an empire. She tweeted it in light of the FinnPoe Star Wars news and my interest shot up to a thousand percent, because a queer space story sounds amazing.

I'm not sure where to start with this
Lena
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I received this book for the Sci-Fi Adventure NYCC 2019 book club.

I am in love with this story and the characters. It kills me knowing I'll have to wait until next year to see it on shelves and even longer for a sequel. I want all of my friends to read it right now.

I loved reading Bonds of Brass for many different reasons. I'm a very large fan of Sci-Fi and I believe this was a great introduction to Ettian, Gal and Wen's world without throwing a large amount of information at you all at once.
Leah (Jane Speare)
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ettian is a soldier of thefallenempire ofArchon, now flying for his home world's conquerors, the Umber Empire. When his best friend and comrade, Gal, is discovered as the Umber heir in hiding, they are soon catapulted into a cross-galactic escape from assassins, friendlies, and awkward situations that seem to always come up when you have a crush on your best friend. Bonds of Brass is the perfect recipe of a space opera: stir in some impromptu heist, one manic sidekick with a kickass umbrella, ...more
Bob Nadal
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to chosen for a New York Comic Con book club for this title. A wonderful, exciting tale with fights, space battles, an evil empire and romance. I'd love to say more, but I hate spoilers.

This is the first time I've read Emily Skrutskie's prose. She is so good at showing us the small human moments that I cared about the characters in the big battle scenes. Can't wait for book two.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Vanished Birds
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • The Deep & Dark Blue
  • A Blight of Blackwings (Seven Kennings, #2)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • The Last Human
  • Sisters of Sword and Song
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • Queen of the Unwanted (The Women's War, #2)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • The Holdout
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • The Deep
  • Malus Domestica (Malus Domestica, #1)
  • Steel Crow Saga
Emily Skrutskie is six feet tall. She was born in Massachusetts, raised in Virginia, and forged in the mountains above Boulder, Colorado. She holds a B.A. in Performing and Media Arts from Cornell University, where she studied an outrageous and demanding combination of film, computer science, and game design.

She is the author of THE ABYSS SURROUNDS US and its sequel, THE EDGE OF THE ABYSS, as

The Bloodright Trilogy (3 books)
  • Untitled (The Bloodright Trilogy #2)
  • Untitled (The Bloodright Trilogy #3)
“I know what it’s like to walk down that path, feeling as if you have no other route. I know how hard it is to pull yourself back from it once that instinct is ingrained. And I know how easy it is to give in to it when you tell yourself it’s the only way to survive.” 0 likes