Start by marking “The Truth Within (Pelican Bay #3)” as Want to Read:
The Truth Within (Pelican Bay #3)

The Truth Within

(Pelican Bay #3)

I’m not a fighter. I never was. So how do I make the one man who might just be worth fighting for see that?
At twenty-five years old, Ford Cornell should have his whole life ahead of him but instead, the would-be artist is drowning in denial and just trying to get through each day. And the boy who once believed life was about following impossible dreams has finally come to
Published October 18th 2018 by Sloane Kennedy (first published October 15th 2018)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
The Pelican Bay books are softer than this author's The Protectors series, something I prefer. Most of Kennedy's work is overwhelmingly angsty. That's not to say The Truth Within is angst free, because it's not. The story deals with domestic abuse and conversion therapy.

One of the MCs is being physically and verbally abused by his family. Ford's formative years were filled with self-hatred and repentance for his "sins"; when he meets Cam, he still believes he can suffocate the devil inside and
Wendy

I am a huge Sloane Kennedy fan... The hugest biggest ;) So of course I have read every book in this series (and in all the others). Now I have to be honest here and say that I am even though I really enjoy the "Pelican Bay" series... the "Protectors" are just a bit more my style.  This series is a bit different...sweeter and milder I would say, though it still deals with multiple triggers...

I really enjoyed this one a lot and I would have given it 4,5-5 stars if not for one little thing (person)
Sanaa  ☆ Sanaa's Book Blog ☆
4.5 stars.

I’d fought to get here. To this moment. To the man next to me. He was my sanctuary…my truth.

The Truth Within was really good. The writing just sucks you in and I love that feeling. It's lighter than the author's other work that I've read but it worked out really well! The sex scenes were x rated and it's what I've come to expect from Sloane Kennedy.

This could've been a 5 star read but I had one issue with it; it was that there was so much push and pull with Ford trying to come
Christelle
Good addition to the Pelican Bay series mostly located in an animal shelter which finally is a shelter for hot characters, with flaws and ordeal, to find their plus one.
Of course, it was time to enjoy the sexy Cam, the new Sheriff in town, who always, always answers calls when there’s disturbance in Ford’s house. Yes, there is something brewing between Camden, burned out in his previous position and not wanting to repeat being in a relationship based on secret, and Ford, ashamed of his past and
Susan

While I loved the second half and especially the end, I had some trouble with both Ford and Cam in the first half.

Ford is the younger brother of Jimmy, the one who attacked Dallas’ bear in the first book. Ford doesn’t have it easy. His brother beats him up on a daily basis and his mother covers for Jimmy. But they’re still his family, so he can’t just up and leave them.

Cam, the new sheriff in town, knows Ford has a tough home life, but so long as Ford doesn’t come forward, there’s nothi
Bev
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

The Pelican Bay series has really grown on me, I couldn't wait for Ford's story. Kennedy does hurt/comfort so well and she nailed it this time even if Ford really needed to extract his head from his backside a lot sooner than he did. But, when he did it was worth the irritation. I got why he was so afraid, the abuse he suffered by those he trusted was hideous but still ...... he hurt Cam with his ridiculous dithering and pushing away.

Loved Cam and Ford together, Cam especially (he's ev
Chris
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh boy this was tough - abuse always is 😊. 4.5 stars for this next event in Pelican Bay. I adore this author so this was an insta buy, sight unseen. I’m glad I didn’t check out too many reviews and just dived in. The story continues directly from book 2 and all the main characters are still around. Cam the local sheriff is called out to see Ford after a call was made about domestic violence. This story between Cam & Ford is hard. Ford has been programmed to believe he has a devil inside of h ...more
Elsa Bravante
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Sigue la dinámica de los libros anteriores de la serie. Dos personajes muy monos, carga emocional, momentos drama llama, otros momentos rolling eyes que rozan la ciencia ficción de lo poco creíbles que son, pero muy muy entretenido.
No me creo nada, pero estoy disfrutando esta serie.
~Volha~
This was a beautiful beautiful book. It went above and beyond my expectations. Even though there was a slight religious overtone, it only enhanced the tragedy of one of the MC's life experiences. The characters were well-developed, the narrative was just amazing, the well of emotions it caused was bottomless.

This is a story of transformation and liberation. Sometimes we are locked in the prison of our own making and are holding the key but not willing to use it. It takes that special person to
Denise H.
**** We find ourselves back in the mix of characters from this amazing, worthwhile series. I've liked every book.****
Cam is 40ish, previously in Detroit,

a tough cop for 20 years, now in Pelican Bay, has answered a domestic violence call at this home too many times.
Ford, 25, artist and now a punching bag

for his horrible, good-for-nothing brother Jimmy, lied and said he fell. His neighbor, Walter had called it in. Cam noticed Jimmy's knuckles are red and bruised, but couldn't do anything outsi
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
I love this series. But this book, sadly, is the one I liked less.
There's plenty of steam, love and also plenty of pain and angst, typical of this author. The problem, in my opinion, is that in the first half of the story I just wanted to stangle Ford.. ok, your life is shitty and painful, but grow a backbone!! And you can't use your situation as an excuse to treat like a doormat the man who cares about you!
And, on the other hand, Cam isn't portrayed too deeply, so I couldn't really develop a
JenMcJ
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this one is my favorite so far in the way it was plotted and resolved and didn't have a bunch of implausible hurdles to overcome in a matter of days. I love hurt/comfort stories and this one certainly was that.

I felt the connection between Cam and Ford but sometimes I just wanted to smack Cam for his lack of communication and his instant assumption that Ford was doing him wrong. I know they both brought baggage to the table but it seemed like Cam kept expecting Ford to unpack his baggag
Kyuteepie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tammy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-read
I only gave this one in the series 3.5 stars because of my frustration 😤 with Ford 🙄. He gave off such mixed signals to Cam and only seemed to care what his family thought!
I did enjoy the end and how Cam and Ford brought together their only little family. ☺Quite a few other stories in addition to Cam and Ford’s story too.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
The hurt. The comfort. It's glorious!

Though I did want to kick Ford a bit in the seat of his ass. As always, lots of amazing secondary characters that just jump off the page to add flavor and texture to your reading. The sex was down and dirty hot - but the story is still center stage. It was a bit anti-climactic at the end but I'll take it.
Alex
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: angst, emotional, steamy
SK always know how to hit you in the feels...
Well. She did it again!

Ford. 25. Bullied into the closet by his awful family.
Cam. 40. New sheriff in town. with a history of ex in the closet that nearly ruined his life...
And animals... Animals all over.
Family made of connections and love rather than just blood...

Yeah. SK's stories often fits the same pattern but it just works for me EVERY TIME!!!!!

description
Emalie
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the first two books of this series, but I was kind of underwhelmed by The Truth Within. Maybe my expectations were too high?
David Alexander
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-2018-read, 4-stars
Great addition

3.75 ⭐

This one was the hardest to read of the series so far as it dealt with a hard topic. I felt for Ford with what he went through. I understood why it went around topics and they took a long to time to discuss what happened to Ford as it needed time to work up to it, that was the only reason I got over the to and fro from Ford and I thought Cam had a great supply of patience and understanding. I wouldn’t have blamed him if he did loose his temper and walk away being as he didn
I~❤️~Books
✮4 Stars✮
Stefanie
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Yep, can't wait for the fourth! Although I hope there will be a story about Theo too, maybe with Lincoln?
julia ☆ [owls reads]
#1 Locked In Silence: ★★★★
#2 Sanctuary Found: ★★★★

3 stars.

I loved how strong he made me feel.

The Truth Within is a dramatic read with a fast pace and a romance so sweet it will rot your teeth. The characters are interesting and the main plot has some intriguing twists along the way, and there is a happy ending for all. The story deals with quite a few tough subjects, but the overall tone is one of acceptance and hope.

Sloane Kennedy adds another cute story to her Pelican Bay series, althou
Kirk
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book hit me in the feels, which is signature Sloane Kennedy. We get a hell of a load of hurt but the comfort that we’re rewarded with is sublime.

Boy did I feel for Ford. Living with a family from hell, he’s just about accepted his lot: keep his mouth shut, do what he’s told and just keep under the radar of his mother and brother. Enter Sherriff Camden Wells who’s got his own lot of baggage after being betrayed by his former partner; who wants to risk that kind of bone-deep heartache again?
Claudia
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sloane simply did it again! one more awesome book in this amazing series!
We met Ford and Cam in book 2 and I need to confess what Ford situation in his house simply broke my heart.
To know Jimmy was lashing out at him and hurting him was heartbreaking. That's exactly how Cam felt since the first time he met Ford... Seeing all the abuse marks in that beautiful face brought him memories of his past. He wanted to help Ford... but in truth, he wanted so much more from him.
He just needed to show him
Antoinette
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book by Sloane Kennedy.

I must admit I had read an early review of this book and didn't know what to expect of Ford. A quarter into the book I realized that although he was a really complicated and insecure man I really liked him, he drew me in. We've all heard of the positive sides of having a photographic memory but we really hear about the negative ones. Ford was a lesson in the negatives aspects of having a photographic memory. Cam was exactly like I expected him to be, a go
Hannah Smith
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
F.
Enjoyed it but a lot happened at the very end so it felt kind of rushed. Took Ford a long time to stand up for himself and then he did a complete 180. His "mother" also did an amazing 180 and one wonders why his stepfather didn't speak up sooner. A good read but on reflection couldn't quite believe characters could change so quickly and completely.
4 stars
Jennie
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My heart broke for Ford. He is stuck in a terrible situation at home and Sherriff Cam's hands are tied. Ford's family and religion are keeping him in his invisible cage..
Ford fights his attraction to Cam with everything he has.

"Because you make me want to choose something that is going to cost me everything."

A beautiful story of love, family, hope, guilt, acceptance, friends and forgiveness.
I loved the surprise for Walter at the end.
Highly recommend!!
I don't use Goodreads to communicate with my readers anymore so please contact me via my website or find me on Facebook. Thanks.

Pelican Bay (3 books)
  • Locked In Silence (Pelican Bay, #1)
  • Sanctuary Found (Pelican Bay, #2)
“the devil had been loud in my ear” 0 likes