Start by marking “Lock & West” as Want to Read:
Lock & West

Lock & West

Note To Self: Just Don’t Be Weird

Lock is awkward. He can’t make eye contact, counts when he’s nervous and has to remind himself several times a day how ‘normal’ teens behave. Homeschooled most of his life, he’s resigned himself to a friendless existence at his new Atlanta high school.

Until he meets West.

List Of Reasons Why My Life Is A Mess: How Much Time Do You Have
Published January 8th 2019 by 7 Sisters Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Lock & West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lock & West

Start your review of Lock & West
Leaf of Absence
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Just when I tell myself I’m never going to read another book about teenagers ever again, I find just the right emo high school tale that sucks me right in. These kids have troubles, but they’re also real - they drink and smoke weed and have extracurricular sex. Their families are fucked up and as much as Lock and West like each other, they have to work through their respective problems before they get to have their happy ending.

Anyway, I liked this a lot. I woulda liked this a lot when I was in
Anyta Sunday
That got angsty. Still, very good YA read. Easy flow, good voice. LOVED the lists and notes opening the chapters. Funny AND emotional.

Lisa The Novel Approach
4.5 Stars

It’s obvious Alexander C. Eberhart did not set out to write a fluffy teen romance when he penned Lock & West. He absolutely succeeded in not doing that. The characters who’ve lent their name to the title of this Young Adult novel carry some baggage that should cause you to heed the warning in the blurb. The instances of sexual abuse mentioned include rape (off-page), attempted rape (on-page), with ongoing physical intimidation and assault that readers witness firsthand. There is also an
The Goblin Times
(No spoilers)

Ok gird your loins because I feel like ranting.

Let’s start with the positives to get them out of the way. I enjoyed the first 20-30%. It was a solid 3/5 until then, maybe 3.5 with the potential later on to go higher. I liked the small lists in the beginning of West’s chapters because they helped immensely with his character development. Lock was also a nice character, a loving brother and awkward as hell. Speaking of, his little brother Jack might be one of the few children in books
Sep 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019, lgbt
i'm sick of gay suffering and how inescapable it is, how people seem to believe we're unable to exist without out, how it's the only defining thing of our existence. i'm sick of how we're tortured even in fiction. i'm sick of not being able to experience something warm and sweet without being gutted beforehand. every story is the same, ripping us to shreds like we can't be relatable without it. i just want One story without the heartache and the pain and the assault and the hatred. i just want o ...more
Daniel
Fiv☆ing excellent. Likable and believable characters deal with some dark shit, but without becoming depressing.

I'm not going to try write a coherent or reasoned review. This is much more like The Art of Starving or Last Seen Leaving than Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, which it seems is how I prefer my gay YA content, because I really loved this one too.

The main couple's parents are not the perfect accepting fantasy parents that show up in a lot of YA. I am usually not here for family confli
Christin
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I rarely if ever write book reviews but for this one I just had to because it is really exceptional and close to home for me. There are a lot of heavy subjects in this book, but it never seems forced, because the characters have depth and you get real insights about how they feel. Some parts might be kind of hard to read, which just goes to show what a great job he did writing this book. Especially noteworthy is the fact how the topic of eating disorders is handled. Alexander really captures the ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vinz
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is nothing but perfect. Fell in love with the characters from the very first two chapters until the end.

This book is so much more than just a gay love story. It'll definitely make you laugh a thousand times (all the characters are hilarious) but it'll make you cry too.

Lock and West both have a messed-up life but they fit perfectly together.
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Lachlan & Westley

This book has been sitting on my kindle for a long time. Finally, got to it. The story was not so much about a relationship but more about the boys themselves and the twist and turn life throws at them. Yes, there was a bit of romance but it took a backseat to all their personal drama.

Overall, an okay read.
Shannon
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
i ate this story up within a few hours
jedbird
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it
It's 2.5* for the characters, not the plot

When I was telling someone about the over-the-top ridiculousness of this book, they voiced something I had been thinking too: this story seems like a cynical author wrote it on a dare, trying to fit in as many hot-button issues as possible. I'm sure that isn't the case at all, but maybe it's notable my friend and I both questioned it.

This story includes, in no particular order: (view spoiler)
Pablito
First of all, don't let the length of this novel deter you. This is the shortest 500+ page read you'll cruise through.

The drama ---and there's loads of it--- in Lock's life AND in West's, is enough to fill three novels. This turns out to be a good thing as it keeps you reading these short chapters, told in their alternating voices.

Buffering the angst are some amazing friends and family members in both of the main characters' lives. And the hope for a true relationship between Lock and West looms
Rox
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
TW: eating disorders, rape, suicide, child abuse, absent parents.

Note to self:
Phone calls aren't scary. They're conversations sans eye-contact.
What more could you ask for?

Um. Well.
This is a hard one to review because for the first 20% I really enjoyed it, for that first bit I really liked the two main characters!
I just sort of wish these poor boys weren't put through ALL the stuff they went through (as seen in TW's), because wow was it a lot. It didn't feel like any of these serious topics got
Guy Venturi
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes things get messed up.

Sometimes things go right. Most things happen without a plan. The best things happen at night. But if you are a mess and avoid the limelight, You will fit right in with Lock and West, their friends, and families. They are different. They are the same. They deal with problems, but love remains. Drama or play, comedy and reality, the plays the thing to catch the conscious of the boyfriend
Maru
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
First book I read and finished this year, and it left me with mixed feelings.
I liked it, and I liked Lock and West (and Chels, Jill and Jack) and, even though I felt like my heart couldn't handle what was happening, I kept on reading hoping these boys would get the happiness they deserved. But this was angsty. Like REALLY ANGSTY. I wasn't expecting that degree of suffering. And I hated that this book tackled some heavy topics that weren't even properly addressed by the end.
Francesca
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emotional, funny and angsty YA which kept me reading till the wee hours because "damn it are the kids going to be ok" is all I could think of and just could not put it down.

This author is new to me and I will be interested to see where he goes from here.
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
Rep: mixed race (black, white) gay mc with anxiety, gay mc with PTSD & eating disorder, paraplegic side character, side character with post-traumatic bipolar disorder

CWs: eating disorder, purging, past sexual assault (flashbacks, description), brief sexual assault scene (forcing a kiss), groping, attempted rape scene, homophobic language, child abuse (one scene), attempted suicide (side character)

* this is gonna make it sound like i didn't like this book but i did! i rly liked it. however,

* the
Sakina Carter
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book tugged at my heartstrings.

The turmoil that West and Lock went through in this book was heartbreaking. It hurt my heart that these two 16 year old boys were going through enough shit to make an adult go crazy, and they dealt with everything.

West's story hurt me the most because I couldn't imagine having to see the face of the person who hurt me the most on a daily basis without snapping and then attacking him.

While I don't think the issues were fully resolved, I was happy that they both
Katy
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75 A lot darker than I expected
Kevin Craig
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lock & West FTW

This is but exactly the messy, chaotic, sweet gay teen romance I didn't know I needed so badly. So tumultuous and endearing. Every emotion. All the feels.
Inkfolkire
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Folks, this is one hell of a book. Several times from start to finish, Lock & West quite literally (meaning metaphorically, but effect, you know?) broke my bones. It's funny and cute and sad and terrible and I wish I could say that I didn't cry through most of the middle of it, but I did. I ugly-cried.

By means of alternating points of view (chapters of which are opened with either a list or a note-to-self, bless), Lock & West tells the story of two teenage boys fighting through a slough of ment
Amalie Jahn
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book stole my entire heart in the best possible way. I laughed, I cried, and I pulled so hard for Lock and West page after painstaking page. What I loved best about this book, told in dual POVs, is the authenticity of both MCs voices. Lock literally jumps off the page at you, so real and misunderstood. And West? The more I got to know him, the more in love with him I fell.

Eberhart has crafted a masterclass in plot and voice and character development in one fell swoop. The themes of this boo
Arena♡
Apr 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqiap, cryyyyyyyy
super sad and super perfect. i was up till 4 am last night reading this book and i do not regret it. it took me around 3 and a half hour-ish to complete the book and i cried every second from the start to the finish. thinking about it makes me want to cry again so please do not expect a proper review for this one on my part. just read it. go in blind with a large tub of ice cream and chocolate and oreos and a huge box of tissues.

(view spoiler)
Ishaan B
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book ties in so many themes of struggle and genuine romance that it is sometimes hard to keep up with all of the twist and turns that Lock and West face. However, this book blew me away with every word, and really pushed the boundaries of my emotions to stir dialogue about tough topics. This novel was so thought-provoking, sweet, beautiful, and elegantly put together. I fell in love with each character, especially the unlikely friendship and love between Lock and West, and will likely pick ...more
Patrick Hodges
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story:

Lock is a shy, closeted sixteen-year-old boy, transplanted with his little brother and alcoholic mother to Atlanta. West is a rich classmate who’s watching his life spiral out of control. The two quickly realize there’s a spark between them, but can they explore it when everything in their lives conspires to drive them apart?

Read the rest of the review at Young Adult Books Central:

Mike Oaks
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Finding Home

Beautiful story about what love means. Both Lock and West certainly had their share of drama. Jack sounds like the perfect little brother. I felt the book should have ended after the final gift at Christmas. The extra was known and could have been left off the pages. 4.0 for birthday gifts.
Angie
Jan 25, 2021 rated it liked it
While I really enjoyed the characters of Lock and West, I am not sure one more issue could have fit into this story. There is way too much going on here (rape, eating disorder, mental illness, suicide, depression, divorce, coming out, parental conflict, disabilities, etc.). I think it would have been a better story with fewer issues and more focus on the 2 main characters.
Anna
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love these characters with all of my heart🥺
It’s fluffy, a little smutty at times, and overall, the pain I feel when we go into these character’s problems, unexplainable, so much angst😩A 10/10 read and it’s my first LGBTQ+ book I’ve read. I have high expectations now🤗
Bill Silva
Nov 11, 2020 rated it liked it
More like 2.5 stars...too much melodrama, overwrought dialogue, and a predictable conclusion. It’s a complicated romance for these two boys, but there isn’t a stereotypical teen challenge or obstacle that they can’t overcome to arrive at their unsurprisingly happy ending (that’s not really a spoiler, is it?).
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Surplus of Light
  • Riding with Brighton
  • That Feeling When (#lovehim, #1)
  • Alex in Wonderland
  • Ginjuh
  • Just a Dumb Surfer Dude (Just a Dumb Surfer Dude, #1)
  • One Little Word (One More Thing, #1)
  • Gay Love and Other Fairy Tales
  • To Be Honest (#lovehim #2)
  • When Everything Is Blue
  • Burning Britely (Burning Britely, #1)
  • For the Love of Logan (Just a Dumb Surfer Dude, #2)
  • A Mark on My Soul
  • Project Hero
  • Heartbreak Boys
  • I Knew Him
  • No Big Deal (#lovehim #1.5)
  • As Far As You'll Take Me
ALEXANDER grew up in the Metro Atlanta Area his entire life, moving from suburb to suburb, just on the outskirts of the city. He’s always had a passion for writing, even from a young age. He still lives on the cusp of Atlanta, inching his way ever closer to finally becoming the City Dweller he’s always wanted to be.

In the meantime, he spends his days writing stories with queer characters and drin