Start by marking “Playing by Heart (Love, Hate, Rock-n-Roll, #1)” as Want to Read:
Playing by Heart (Love, Hate, Rock-n-Roll, #1)

Playing by Heart

(Love, Hate, Rock-n-Roll #1)

Jesse Lee is the worst!

He’s a multi-millionaire, triple-platinum-selling, Grammy-Award-winning man-slut—a worldly, self-indulgent heathen. I wouldn’t sleep with him if he were our last chance to ensure survival of the human race. The only reason I put up with him is because he’s my boss’s brother.

Whatsherface is one of those holier-than-thou types.

She’s bossy, has a
Published November 12th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Playing by Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing by Heart

Dilek VT
3,5 stars

*********************************************

“There’s no playbook on how to love you, so I’ll keep playing by heart.”

*********************************************

Weird book it is! It made me feel all the contradicting emotions.

PLAYING BY HEART is a fun and light read that infuriates you at the beginning and makes you laugh later and finally it makes you warm and fuzzy.

I was really bored and repulsed with it at the beginning. The hero is a rock star who used women, booze and drugs for the high he needed and finally he hit the rock bottom in his career. His manager gives him a last chance: To spend 90 days with hemotions.
PLAYING
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
4 stars

I really liked Playing By Heart , it was a fun, lighthearted , sweet and sexy read.The romance was great, it's slow burn and intense.

description

I loved their moments together , they have some passionate moments and at the same time some really funny moments. This story had a little bit of everything.

It's a great read, I loved how the story goes.So many great books this year from J.B. Salsbury .

Betül
**ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review**

description

"Being one of a million women isn't the same as being someone's one-in-a-million, no matter how amazing the sex would be."

I am usually not a big fan of enemies-to-lovers or books about musicians. However, I am a big fan of this author, so you know I had to read this book. Right from the start I was hooked tclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
"Being
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
description

“You might want to consider redefining your definition of love.”

Love. L.O.V.E. Four letters that conjure up many different perceptions. Love can be sweet and soothing, chaotic and passionate, or just damn confusing, and in Playing by Heart, the new enemies to lovers, rock star romance where two opposite attracts, we experience the many facets of love through the complicated relationship between the cocky fallen bad boy rock star, Jesse Lee and the sweet, sometimes irrational good girl, Bethany Parks, who m
Syndi
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I knew it when i read the blurp, i want to listen to this audio book. And i like it. It is a tad long. 10 hours plus. But i smile that stupid swooning smile. The banter is cute. Sexy. Plus Jessie is a perfect a hole. In a cute way.

What i want more is bit more dramatic on the story. A more twisted. But overall i do enjoy it during a humid saturday.

4 stars
AJ
4.5 stars!

I love this book! An enemies-to-lovers rock star romance with great banter and chemistry, and a gorgeous love story that is sweet, sexy, and beautifully heartfelt. J.B. Salsbury has delivered another fantastic read that is lots of fun, with imperfect characters that you cannot help but love, and all the feels!

Jesse Lee is the quintessential bad boy rock star – tattooed, foul-mouthed, spoiled, entitled and drowning in drugs, alcohol and women. His latest bender is the last straw for his band
Kahea
***4.5 Stars***

Rockstar romance coupled with an enemies to lovers trope?

Yeah. Not going to deny that I jumped at the chance to get my greedy hands on this baby and to say I got totally sucked into Beth and Jessie’s tumultuous story is an understatement BUT what was also all kinds of real was how much my eyes (from all the rolling they did) and head ached because of these two.

They tested me. They did. But in the end, the pain was so worth it.

So, Jessie and Bethany...I en
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
description

“You might want to consider redefining your definition of love.”

Anne OK
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Full review posted 12/27/18

Playing by Heart is a mix of rock star and enemies-to-lovers romance between a famous rock star and a small town plain jane who will rock his world in the end. Theirs is a riveting journey between opposites that is bursting with combustible attraction, full of emotions with angsty push and pull, and the redemption and healing that brings a tear or two without being over-dramatic.

Jesse Lee Langley is a bad-bad-boy rock star and a maddeningly obstinate player! He has no o/>Playing
Snow

An okay read for me, I love rockers and I can't really stay away from such themed books eve though they are mostly cliché and it's all been said and done before.

So nothing new here either, a washed up, drunk and drugged off rock star Jesse Lee, destroys his career and his band by, over using before mentioned substances along with the long line of sexual encounters...as well as using the 'I love you' way too much in a meaningless sex.

He has a choice to make, pushed by his
Bookgasms Book Blog
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelly
Playing by Heart combines two tropes that are very hit-or-miss for me: enemies-to-lovers and rockstar romance. So, I took a minute before deciding that I couldn't miss out on the opportunity to revisit J.B. Salsbury's writing and, frankly, she had me at "Whatsherface..."

And?

I'm so glad I went for it! Y'all this book just feels good. I mean, don't get me wrong, there's a fair amount of angst and some moments where I wanted to knock some sense into both Jesse and Bethany, but I smiled my face off for the vast majority of th
ConfessionsofaRomanceJunkie
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by: Candice

Wow! What a ride this book was!

Some of you may assume that this book is yet another one of the many manslut “hero” and “good girl” heroine romance tropes out there, and you wouldn’t be wrong but I promise you there is so much more to this story than you may expect, and it truly makes this book one of a kind.

JB Salsbury has a way of captivating her readers with her words.

You are affected by every emotion the characters experience. You hurt for them, you cry, you rage, and
Cali Gals
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG this book is AMAZING! To be honest, you had me at Rockstar Romance. Having said that, this is unique and touching. Jesse is our rockstar that has spiraled out of control. Bethany is a sweet church girl who also happens to be the nanny for Jesse’s niece. When these two worlds collide, holy heck, Bethany is not impressed and Jesse has a bit of a rude awakening. Add the zanny crew from both of these characters camps, well plan for a crazy story. I was surprised by its journey. I went in assumin ...more
Samantha I Love HEA Romance Book Blog
HOLY HOTCAKES!!!!!! This book just blew me away! Everything about this book is perfection. I can not fault it. Playing By Heart is a slow burning, heartfelt romance that captivated me from the get go and I could not put it down, not that I tried. I absolutely loved this story! It is definitely one of my favourite books this year!

Bethany is such a strong heroine, I loved her so much! She comes across as so straight laced but deep down she has a fire that burns hot. I loved how she put Jesse in h
Naadira  Moodley (BookedMercy)
“Being one of a million women isn’t the same as being someone’s one-in-a-million”

This book made my heart so blissfully happy. I devoured it in one sitting. It has an amazing take on love which I freaking adored.

Jesse is a strung out rock star who has been blowing his chances. His vices are sex, drugs and alcohol. He is a first grade man whore. He equates sex to love. I genuinely dislike books where the hero sleeps with any woman with a vagina but Jesse managed to steal a piece of my heart. He manag
Diane plourde
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Wow!!!!! What an amazing, addicting 6 star story. One that consumed me from the very first page read to the last one.

Jesse is a washed up rock star. Either he gets clean or he loses everything he’s worked for. Ending up at a preachers house for 3 months is not what he expected. Then he comes face to face with a strong, honest and selfless Bethany. She doesn’t take his crap and she’s not shy about telling him either. Sparks will fly.

I loved everything about this story. An amazing storyline that really
BookSmacked
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As far as Rock Star books goes this one definitely follows the formula of what one would expect in this trope. And what’s that saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

It features your typical Bad Boy Rock Star who is absolutely as the blurb says the worst. Jesse Lee has become that stereotypical rock star and indulged in the cliche life style. Sex, drugs and rock and roll and now it’s petty much about to cost him his career.

I live for the bad boy rock stars and those good girls that turn it arou
* A review copy was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. *

~ 5 Let Me Love You Stars ~

Are you a fan of the rockstar romance story?? Then you should pick up JB Salsbury’s newest standalone novel...Playing By Heart!!

What happens when Jesse Lee hits rock bottom and doesn’t know how to turn it around?? This is his story and what he goes through to make his life better.

Playing By Heart is an emotional rollercoaster for rockstar Jesse Lee. This is his stor
Beeg Panda
What an asshole
What an adorably idiotic asshole

What a stick-up-her-ass heroine
What an adrorably dorky heroine
Shawna (Blue's Books)
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jesse Lee is the worst!

he really, truly is though.
he’s a terrible human being.
an awful, rude, crude, doesn’t-care-about-anyone-but-himself jerk.

a horrible book boyfriend.
a complete tool.

and i love him.
i love Bethany.

i love the journey Jesse takes during this book.
i love the way Bethany helps heal his soul.
i love Jesse learning to love and let people in.

i love his redemption.

this book is so
Weronika -  Little Steamy Reads
A-MA-ZING! This what the new book from JB Salsbury is! Just brilliant! And it's not just that we get here a typical naughty boy who finds a way to our heart anyway. Playing by Heart is also a story about the power of words and about the fact that we often abuse them unnecessarily.

Jesse Lee is a typical rock star. A total manwhore who sleeps with every willing woman. He regularly abuses alcohol and drugs. But when he makes another mistake and his further career is under a big qu
Andrea
Shelves: 2018, arcs
Omg I loved it!!

This is so much more than the typical bad boy rocker falling for a good girl. SO. MUCH. MORE!

Jesse has hit rock bottom. His label has dropped him. His band has walked out on him, and between the drugs and the booze he doesn’t know what day it is or who is in his bed. His manager has given him one last chance...90 days to get it together... but not in some fancy rehab center. He’s going to stay with his brother, Ben. Ben is a single father and a pastor of a small cong
Diary Of Book Fiend
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Anyone Can Say I Love You stars!!

This was a very unique enemies to lovers Romance book! JB Salsbury put a refreshing spin on a popular trope.

I absolutely loved Jesse and I think he went through an amazing transformation in this book. His character was just fantastic!

Bethany...sigh.. lol she reminded me a lot of Sandy from Grease before she threw on the tight leather pants and T-Bird jacket. She annoyed the hell out of me for the most part. But by the end of the book I
Tracy  C
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have such a mixed feeling about this book. I love J.B. Salsbury's writing. I definitely find myself totally absorbed in her stories. That being said, I felt like Bethany wasn't completely fleshed out. Was she a strong person? Naive? A stalker? There was such great character development for Jesse. He was such a pig for 2/3 of the book that my heart ached for him when he finally understood what real love looks like. But Bethany never really grew. She was a doormat where Wyatt was concerned, but ...more
Tammy Cole
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! This was a enemy to lovers book that has so much more to it than I expected. Jesse is a rich and spoiled rock star who has reached rock bottom. Bethany is a person who wants to please and take care of others and has just gotten out of a relationship that she wasn't ready to let go. I loved the way this story was written. The writing style and the build up of the characters had me hooked. This is honestly one of my favorite books this year! I'm really hoping for a story ...more
Jen
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
I really liked this. Although the falling in love was a little quick. But, still I liked it. Looking forward to the next installment. Hopefully the audiobook will be available soon.
Karja26
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was abso FREAKIN lutely amazing!

From the first page it had me intrigue.... and as I told JB Jesse is seriously effed up. They make the perfect couple. The all time famous rock star hitting rock bottom and the good church girl with a secret 🤫 Bethany is definitely a relatable character, from her heartache, to the butchery of songs (I mean come one we’ve all done it 🤣), to being strong when Jesse needed help with his own demons.

This had everything touched on serious issues but also injected
Mari
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018reads
A new side to JB Salisbury, a romantic comedy way. I liked the writing and while it was light it didn't lose the heart of it. A rock star stuck in a small town rehabbing and getting together. Jesse was so drugged and drunk, he lost his way and his music too. Coming to Suprise helped him find that, the detoxing and Bethany. Bridging his gap with brother too. Bethany was unexpected, she made laugh her wrong lyrics. The friend was no tact at all but the brought life to the story. Overall enjoyable ...more
Piper Reagan
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FIVE *****FUN*****FILTHY-MOUTHED*****SEXY-ROCKSTAR*****LOVED-UP*****STARS

"Wake up, Jesse." The disappointment in my manager's voice is as familiar as the ice-bucket wake-up call.
My mouth tastes like a garbage dump in a one-hundred-year-old wasteland.

Oh Jesse... if you only knew how much trouble you were in right now.

So let's jump ahead. I want you to meet Bethany, the girl next door... no wait, that's the nanny you're about to endure for the unforeseeable future. Who just so happens to hit every nerve ending God hanow.
So
wasteland.
class="gr-hostedUserImg">
"Wake*****FUN*****FILTHY-MOUTHED*****SEXY-ROCKSTAR*****LOVED-UP*****STARS
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Long Time Coming (Perfect Timing #2)
  • Love and the Real Boy (Coming About #2)
  • Last Man Standing (Southern Scrimmage, #5)
  • Black Hurricane (Boston Boys, #3)
  • Brave & Beautiful (Sassy Boyz, #3)
  • No Apologies
  • Undesired Lust (Reckless Beat, #3)
  • Lily of the Valley (Flowering, #1.5)
  • Rescue Me
  • Resistance
  • Forever Red (Bama Boys, #1)
  • This Love (University of Branton, #1)
  • Death of a Rock Star (The Boy in the Band, #0.5)
  • Blindness
  • Limits (Silver Strand, #3)
  • Rock Heart (The Vegas Aces #2)
  • Twisted Emotions
  • Tangled
J.B. Salsbury is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author. She lives in Phoenix, Arizona with her husband and two kids.

Her love of good storytelling led her to earn a degree in Media Communications. With her journalistic background, writing has always been at the forefront, and her love of romance propelled her career as an author.

She spends the majority of her day behind the

Love, Hate, Rock-n-Roll (2 books)
  • Skipped a Beat (Love, Hate, Rock-n-Roll, #2)
“You have me now. You've owned me from the start. There's no playbook on how to love you, so I'll keep playing by heart.” 3 likes