Start by marking “Star Trek: First Contact (Star Trek: TNG Movie Novelizations #2)” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: First Contact (Star Trek: TNG Movie Novelizations #2)

Star Trek: First Contact

(Star Trek: TNG Movie Novelizations #2)

From the deepest, darkest reaches of space came the greatest threat the federation had ever faced: the Borg. Half organic/half mechanical, the Borg were relentless and bent on conquering and "assimilating" all intelligent life; a single Borg vessel destroyed 39 Federation starships, decimating Starfleet.Stronger and more dangerous than ever, they are ready to launch a new ...more
Published 1996 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Start your review of Star Trek: First Contact (Star Trek: TNG Movie Novelizations #2)
Love of Hopeless Causes
Gates McFadden is not appropriate as the pov of Picard. I think they wanted her to represent the Borg, but this makes the audiobook unlistenable. Still intend to try the physical copy.
RumBelle
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, favorites
The Borg have, in my opinion, always been the most horrifying Star Trek villains, and the ones I have always been most interested in. Their mysterious origins, why they behave the way they do, why their unique bond with Picard. Many books, TV episodes and movies have gone a long way toward answering those questions. First Contact was one of the best. It described the lengths the Borg would go to to stop humanity and the Federation. In addition Picard's Captain Ahab element made this all the more ...more
Nicholas
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Star Trek First Contact has to be one of the best Star Trek films ever made and the novelization is no different. The movie and book coincided with Star Trek’s 30th anniversary in 1996, it is by far the best film with the cast of The Next Generation, and there wouldn’t be another great Star Trek film until 2009. What makes the novelization so great is that it adds things that movie cannot such as scenes that were cut and insights into storyline. I have a deeper appreciation for the film because ...more
Alicea
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Until quite recently, I was very much a Star Trek: The Original Series kinda gal. I never investigated the other realms of the Trek universe and I had no real desire to...and then Netflix recommended I watch Star Trek: The Next Generation. After that it was kind of a given that I was going to fall head over heels in love with that particular cast of characters. (If you're wondering, I'm torn between Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Data as my favorite.) This of course meant that I had never really ex ...more
Craig
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Frankly I was disappointed in this treatment of First Contact. Tense moments in the film were lost in the author over-emphasizing other unnecessary elements. I did appreciate the background stuff for Lily and Cochrane and getting to know those characters better but I think this novelization could have been done better in other hands. I liked the behind the scenes section at the back though, it's interesting to see what their original ideas were for First Contact- going back to the Renaissance Er ...more
Patrick Ullmer
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Star Trek: First Contact" is my favorite Star Trek film and this novelization helped me to further enjoy it, something I doubted was possible. The horror of the Borg was well-described and the characterization of Zefraim Cochrane was interesting. I had a fun time listening to the audiobook and i thought Gates Mcfadden gave a decent performance of this reading.
Evan Burge
Sep 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I will say First Contact is pretty good for a movie novelization. It’s well written—almost lyrical—with a decent amount of emotional resonance. But the movie’s humor doesn’t quite translated, and some of the rapid-fire perspective shifts feel ill-suited for the format. On top of that, the Enterprise’s crew is often sidelined for new characters I cared little about.
Chad
Dec 21, 2019 added it
It’s comfort food for your brain, basically. It’s entertaining but it doesn’t blow me away. You get some more insight into Cochrane and Lily as characters but there’s little here that you don’t get from the movie. I enjoyed it but as far as novelizations go I’d rate this as fairly middling.
Julie
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
As read by Gates McFadden, who did a very good job. There were also sound effects, which made it all the more interesting. It was entertaining, and kept me occupied on my daily walks. :)
Lois
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even though this was an abridged audiobook, it didn't feel like it, and filled in the movie in great and unexpected ways. So, not my favorite movie (that's still Generations!), but loved the book.
Kimberly
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun and quick read. Lots of action. Stigmatizes mental illness.
Rob
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this case, the book was better than the movie, expanding on the backgrounds of some of the new Characters. This was a Good Read.
Maureen Bauer
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Of Course, I enjoyed reading this novel, it is Star Trek. It took me a day and a half to read this novel based on a favorite film.
Ron Lang-Alon
So, overall good. I don't exactly understand why there are differences between the film and the book. Small ones. And some of the additions the author made to motive and such felt out of character.
Rob Tesselaar
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A quick and easy read. Nothing special but it did fill un an interesting part of Star Tek universe history.
Sanna
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The movie was so cool, so this book was quite good as well. It ws very interesting to read about what life supposedly was after WW3, I also liked the sub-plot of Zefram Cochrane having a bi-polar disorder, it sure explained a lot about him which in the film seemed a bit odd. Picard and his thoughts and pain were well depicted, but why oh why the romantic tension with Lily? Since we all know he ends up with Beverly anyway, it a bit over the top the way he has an eye for the ladies in these novels ...more
Dann
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Written by J.M. Dillard (and read by TNG cast member Gates McFadden in the audio version) the novelization of Star Trek: First Contact delivers all of the thrills and excitement of the film. In the mist of their attack on Earth a race of cyborgs known as the Borg make a desperate gambit for victory by traveling back in time to the 21st century in order to alter the past, but the U.S.S. Enterprise follows them back and attempts to stop them. Dillard does an excellent job at capturing the terror o ...more
Joy
Jun 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I like J.M. Dillard's novelizations of Star Trek movies and episodes. She stays true to the details of the filmed version but adds a nice level of description and details as well.

My favorite part of this is actually the opening few paragraphs when she is describing the Borg ship. Otherwise the plot is the same as the movie version. My mother wouldn't let me go see this movie when it originally came out (I was 12 and it was rated PG-13, yeah, she was overprotective), so I read this novelization f
Sean Meriwether
This is one of the very few books I have ever read based on a movie; the last two were Videodrome and Star Wars, to give you some context. It was a perfectly fine verbatim capture of the film, but the movie is much stronger, interesting, and gripping than the novel (and has the sexy Lt. Hawk who can call me any time he is visiting NYC). If it had filled in some of the back story, such as Picard’s capture by the Borg, which is covered in the series and only briefly in the movie, than I might have ...more
Michelle "Champ"
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I did this as an audiobook. Gates McFadden read it. She was excellent as Dr. Crusher, she was superb as your narrator! Her voice was soothing, but she also would adapt to the characters at hand. Her Jean Luc and The Borg Queen was OUTSTANDING. A fan knows the story, this is unchanged. As a matter of a fact, I am pretty sure it's word for word with the film. For the Star Trek fan or for someone looking for an audio with lots of action. I will state this only once, this is not as good as the film, ...more
J.W. Braun
Nov 18, 2010 rated it liked it
This one loses a lot in the transition from the big screen to a book. The screenplay, with is action and adventures, is simply better seen than read. (Plus the film has a killer score.) Dillard tries to compensate by adding more information about the characters, but the backstories of the guest stars seem shoehorned in, and they don't add a lot to the story. The book's okay, but the film is much better and the definitive way to experience this one.
Julie
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Recommended to Julie by: Dad
Shelves: science-fiction, 2011
I really liked the movie, and this book did a great job of translating the fun and the action to book form. J.M. Dillard writes really well. On top of that, she was able to enter the characters' heads and add in even more emotional depth, such as providing more backstory for Lily and revealing Zefram Cochrane's struggle with bipolar disorder (and even added info on the eradication of mental illnesses prior to World War Three).

This book was so much fun!
Mrklingon
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable step through cinematic Trek history!

As noted, I'm enjoying reading these books - reliving the movies with my own imagination and that of the author. The fact Dillard did the final movies - from V onward, including all the TNG movies, works so well - she maintains themes from one book to the next, while she fleshes out the story. I've also appreciated the afterwords that discuss the decision-making process behind the movie development.
Dogg
Jan 18, 2011 rated it liked it
A good quick read. If you saw the movie, then you've already read the book. Only the movie looks better. The novel itself compromises the first 246 pages. The balance is a PR blurb about the making of the film. The area some photos and illustrations. Some of these are a little disappointing. Of the thousands of pictures you could have selected, some of these are quite mundane.
Jordan
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading a book is always strange after you watch the movie because your ability to imagine the characters is a wee bit shot. In the case of STNG it was obliterated. This was my favorite show when I was a tween. It was interesting to read because I could hear each and every character's voice as portrayed by the actors known for the role. Totes fun experience.
Scott Martin
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Much better than I expected. Actually, it was really, really good. It's a book of the First Contact movie, and it follows the movie very closely, but goes into more depth with Picard's psychology with the Borg and some other things only a book can do.
Tabitha
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the characters though they could have been developed a little bit more.
I think I have read an earlier book by this author that had this story as part of their history. It felt familiar. I really enjoyed this story and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the connected series.
Evelyn
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a pleasure to read and predictable like a lot of Star Trek books. This book is based on the movie "First Contact" and I read it before the movie. I love doing that and this book set the stage me; I hope the movie is just as good.
Rick Fort
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellently done. As a huge fan of Star Trek this was the first of any Star Trek book that I actually read. It follows the movie almost exactly yet reading the book brings you even closer to the story as if you were a member of the federation. I don't believe a better Star Trek book exist.
Alexander Adamson
Jun 19, 2008 rated it liked it
I watch the movie first and I felt that the book did not give to much more insight they the movie showed. I thought the author got the relationship wrong between the Lt.Worf and captain Picard.

• Q-Squared (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • All Good Things...
  • Sarek
  • Relics
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek: The Original Series #33; Movie Novelization #4)
  • Probe
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover
  • Imzadi (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Imzadi #1)
  • Eight Million Ways to Die (Matthew Scudder, #5)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3)
  • The Jack the Ripper Files: The Illustrated History of the Whitechapel Murders
  • The Antares Maelstrom
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Contamination
  • Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
J.M. Dillard is the pseudonym under which Jeanne Kalogridis (b. 1954) publishes her Star Trek novels. ...more

Star Trek: TNG Movie Novelizations (6 books)
  • Star Trek Generations
  • Star Trek: First Contact (Young Adult Adaptation)
  • First Contact