Start by marking “A Sister's Struggle: A gripping 1930s saga of love, loss and friendship” as Want to Read:
A Sister's Struggle: A gripping 1930s saga of love, loss and friendship

A Sister's Struggle: A gripping 1930s saga of love, loss and friendship

London, 1935.

Ruby is always hungry, but she will go without if it means her young brothers can eat. 1930s Bermondsey might be called the larder of London, with its pie, pickle and jam factories, but for the poor working classes, starvation is often only a heartbeat away.

When Ruby's neighbour suggests she ought to go to the Methodist Mission for free food, Ruby knows her

Kindle Edition
Published December 1st 2018 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about A Sister's Struggle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sister's Struggle

Start your review of A Sister's Struggle: A gripping 1930s saga of love, loss and friendship
Silvia
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A digital ARC of this book was provided to me by the publishing house, House of Zeus, via NetGalley in exchange of an honest review

"A Sister's Struggle" is an historical fiction romance (?), that's how I bought it, set in London in 1935. It follows the struggles, literally, of Ruby and her family. Her mother died when she was young, and her dad has always been very absent, so she had to raise her two younger brothers by herself.

This is basically the synopsis of this book, so I was a little bit
Sarah Davies
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ruby hasn't had chance of much of a childhood, with no mother and 2 brothers to look after.

Ruby's dad sometimes comes home, other times disappears for weeks on end, and with no money in their apartment Ruby tends to scrimp and save to feed her brothers and goes hungry herself.

Then Nancy Ruby's neighbour suggests they go to the mission where they will get a free meal, but Dodge Ruby's father doesn't except charity, but when you have no money and no food, beggars can't be choosers, so Ruby takes
Stacy Walton
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an emotional rollercoaster of a journey I have just been on with this beautifully written book. I feel so honoured to have witnessed this raw and heartfelt story and I'm hoping this review will give the book the justice it deserves. I won't divulge any details regarding the storyline as I don't want to give away any hints or spoilers but I will say that it's a journey you must take.

The numerous characters that fill the book are created with such vivid descriptions, breathing life into the s
Cara Ross
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Sister’s struggle is a heart-wrenching tale of a young woman's struggle to raise her brothers, follow her faith, beliefs and try and keep food in the house, all while her father did shady deals on the side.

But A Sister’s Struggle is not set in modern day, this is set in the troubling times between the first and the Second World War when there was a rise in anti-Semitism and specifically the black shirts in the poorer areas of London. When a woman's reputation could be destroyed with no evidenc
Marilyn Friesen
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a very intense book. It sharply contrasted the light and darkness found in love and hate as well as in good and evil. Never before have i found myself rooting so earnestly for the heroine of a book and hoping she would see the villian as he really was. I was a bit disappointed in the ending, however. Ruby lost her faith in God because of the bitter trials she went through and He had been her only real source of comfort for many years. The book ended just before World War Two which is whe ...more
Luke
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This took me far too long to finish but I powered through today and got it done. What attracted me to this book was its being set in 1930s London which is an instant winner for me. The story itself was sweet but felt like it could have been shortened somewhat. The romances that string the whole book together can get a little tedious and I wanted more scene setting. There were several plot lines running throughout the book and focusing on just one or two might have made this a bit better. Ultimat ...more
Katherine Hayward Pérez
In 1930s London, times were tough. Ruby and her young family have no food and no money but try to live life despite extreme hardship. I found the book so detaileed and the emotions were so raw and heartwrenching.

Ruby's dad does not want charity yet Ruby is the stronger person looking for help at a mission which feeds her family.

I have not reviewed books by Mary Gibson before but yes I have reviewed many historical fiction books. Mary Gibson does not make us wonder what will happen, she launche
Karen Smith
Set in 1930s Bermondsey, London this tells the story of ten year old Ruby who is struggling to feed and care for her brothers with a rogue for a Dad and no Mum. It covers ten years of the family's struggles against a backdrop of a difficult time in national and worldwide politics.
Ruby turns to the Methodist church as a way of feeding her brothers and finds love, friends and belonging there.
Dora The explorer
Parts were good, parts not so good. I felt it was rather too drawn out and at times I switched off from it and went to other books but finished it in the end.
Kat Ferguson
Jun 04, 2020
judith ellis - hatton
Jul 29, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Village Scandal (The Village Secrets, Book 2)
  • Jam and Roses
  • Secrets of the Homefront Girls
  • Time to Say Goodbye
  • The Liberty Girls
  • Wartime at Liberty's (Liberty Girls #3)
  • Bourbon Creams and Tattered Dreams (The Factory Girls)
  • Hattie's Home
  • A Sister’s Sorrow
  • The Nurses of Lark Lane: A heartbreaking Liverpool saga
  • New Arrivals at Mulberry Lane (Mulberry Lane #4)
  • The Christmas Wedding
  • Wartime for the District Nurses (The District Nurse #2)
  • The Women of Mulberry Lane (Mulberry Lane #5)
  • Love and Marriage at Harpers: A heartwarming saga from bestseller Rosie Clarke (Welcome To Harpers Emporium Book 2)
  • The Street of Broken Dreams (Banbury Street #2)
  • Rainy Days for the Harpers Girls (Welcome To Harpers Emporium Book 3)
  • The Brighton Guest House Girls: Hardship, heartache and the healing power of friendship