Start by marking “Trick or Death” as Want to Read:
Trick or Death

Trick or Death

Halloween was the perfect time for Barry Steiner to put his plan into action. The only problem was not everyone in the neighborhood wanted to play his victim.
Published October 27th 2016 by Demnation Press

To ask other readers questions about Trick or Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trick or Death

Start your review of Trick or Death
Candace Robinson
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have yet to be disappointed by Demmer's horror short stories! Seriously loved this one! Also, a hint... there's one of my favorite creature's ever in it!!

What impresses me so much is how Demmer always can put such great characterization in short stories! You get a bit of romance, a bit of horror, and a bit of awesomeness! Barry was a relatable character. I felt I would have done some of the idiotic stuff he did when I was his age!

The writing was on point, the setting wa
Dianne
What goes around, comes around and Halloween prankster Barry thought he was going to record the best tricks yet as he set out to terrorize senior citizens just to film their reactions. But what happens when someone refuses to be a victim? Is it Karma’s turn to play a trick on Barry?

I read this one twice, once to test the waters and once because I wanted to! Calvin Demmer has a talent for the short and not-so-sweet, but I guarantee it will be a memorable lesson to any pranksters out there who have ever
Donna
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Creeeepy!!! Demmer has done it again!! He’s so great at these little creepy stories, that I feel he should have them made into a series on television! In a matter of a couple of pages I am drawn in and a few pages more I am really intrigued by these characters! By the end of the book I am just sitting there with my mouth hanging open! Creeeepy!! Thoroughly entertaining and so well written, Trick or Death is a highly recommended, 5+ Star book!!!
Liz
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, paranormal, shorts
This is the 3rd short story I've read by Calvin Demmer and I think this one is my favorite.

Obviously I can't give much away to refrain from ruining the short for anyone else but I can say the story felt nicely full-bodied and after reading the opening sentence I thought this one was going to have a whole different outcome.

I like how Calvin manages to put the real life aspect next to the paranormal, how the mellow is paired with brutal.

Overall, a totally satisfying short story- i don't know ho
Yolanda Sfetsos
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I grabbed a freebie of this shortie for my Paperwhite over the weekend, and read it early this morning.

Barry has a plan for this Halloween. He's going to scare some of his neigbours with his cool Reaper costume. And then he's going to post their reactions on YouTube. He's convinced it's going to be the perfect way to get his subscriber numbers up, but his friend Rose has other ideas. Will he choose her offer, or continue his quest for likes?

I really enjoyed this story! It wa
Theresa Braun
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Young YouTuber Barry has one foot in the ‘I could be famous’ camp and one foot in the ‘I can finally get with the love of my life’ camp. On Halloween night, both of these options are incredibly intense, especially when he has just one more house to prank with his video camera. And, this house is the mother of all houses—it’s where the local doctor lives. Barry can’t resist scaring the man who’s scared him his whole life. So. Many. Injections. Yikes. This feels like sweet revenge to Barry. And hi ...more
Sunshine Somerville
Another short, quick, creepy read from an author I’m growing to like more and more. This story basically describes a not-so-happy Halloween where the main character sets out to have some mostly harmless fun, finds reason to have high hopes with a girl, and then gets himself into a situation where everything goes horribly, horribly wrong. In just a few pages the author does a great job of making you care about this guy and girl, and then the one bad choice leading to disaster makes everything qui ...more
Kimberly
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm really loving all of the Halloween short stories I've read in October, this one included! I've recently read Calvin Demmer's collection The Sea Was a Fair Master and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I was eager to read Trick or Death.

The story sets out suspenseful as it opens up on Halloween night with a man dressed in a scary costume hiding on an old lady's front porch. I always assume the worst, so of course I thought the poor old lady would be harmed when she opened the door after the man's doorbell ring.
Steve Stred
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I snagged this as a freebie on the weekend and man what a great read. Very fun, original take on a Halloween baddie!
I enjoyed the premise, enjoyed the characters (although damn man, go to the girl!), but ultimately I wished this was so much longer!

Highly recommend, and I can't wait to read The Sea is a Fair Master!

4.5./5 (easy 5 with a bit more length!)
Meghan (My World of Books)
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short story! If you’re looking for a quick, spooky Halloween read you can get in before the end of the month, then this one is definitely for you! Looking forward to reading more from Demmer.
Tracy Robinson
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy, fun Halloween tale

I meant to read this in October, but that month flew by me. This short story is well-written and engaging. To be honest, I always find myself wishing most of the tales I read by Demmer are longer, and this one is no exception. I wanted more time with these characters. Pick this one up if you're looking for a quick entertaining Trick or treat story. As always, I'll be picking up whatever Demmer puts down next.
Kimberly
I liked it.

This is a spooky little Halloween story. The kids only wanted to do a few pranks on the holiday, but got more than they barganed for.
Yolande Branch
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from Calvin Demmer in exchange for an honest review.

When Barry decides to scare his neighbours by "trick or treating" in order to get ratings for his YouTube channel, he didn't realise he would be the one to subjected to a vicious trick! Whilst the girl of his dreams gives him an ultimatum-go for one more scare or come home with her, Barry can't resist the pull of "scaring" his local Dr to get enough footage to upload. However, when Barry decides to ent
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Currently free in the kindle store!

Trick or Death is a fun, eerie little story that reminds me of a classic horror trope—the protagonist who just can't seem to leave well enough alone, no matter how foreboding the situation might seem. Calvin Demmer's writing is entertaining and to the point, and while the ending wasn't what I expected it to be, I really enjoyed it.
Regina
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick read that really built itself up with potential and I was really enjoying but then left me wanting for a bit more at the end.

Still... gonna keep my eye on this author.
Sheilah
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though it is past Halloween, those who love the horror genre won't mind if I am a bit delayed in getting this out.

Demmer writes a short tale about an ego driven teen, who takes his pranks one step too far. It was well-written and easy to read. I read it before sleep consumed me the other night. I will admit, I was not sad to see the teenage boy meet his dark destiny. My only criticism is that the main characters reaction to pain/fear could have been more convincing. It was a bit lack
S.J. Budd
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barry Steiner s a young man who is desperate for popularity and will do anything to increase the number of subscribers on his youtube channel. He thinks he's come up with a brilliant idea; pranking. Except the joke is on him, he's blind to everything that goes on around him with devastating consequences.He has everything he wants in life, he just has to look past his nose, but sometimes these realisations come much too late.

A great little tale that blends humour with terror, full of
Guy Riessen
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the price of entry

I love short stories, and this was an entertaining short read. I expected more of a twist at the end, but hey, can't have everything :) plus a cover and solid editing in a short deserves applause as well! Cheers
Ty Green

• Of Foster Homes and Flies
  • Pretty Marys All in a Row
  • Bones
  • Doorbells at Dusk
  • Clouded By Envy (Laith, #1)
  • Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked
  • Doggem
Calvin Demmer is the author of The Sea Was a Fair Master and The Town That Feared Dusk. When not writing, he is intrigued by that which goes bump in the night and the sciences of our universe.