Start by marking “Whispers in the Pews: Voices on Mental Illness in the Church” as Want to Read:
Whispers in the Pews: Voices on Mental Illness in the Church

Whispers in the Pews: Voices on Mental Illness in the Church

Mental Illness is real. Will the Church get real?

This book is a collection of essays from various authors: men and women, pastors and congregants, counselors and nurses, parents and children. All have a unique view of how mental health conditions affect people, and how the church has responded to these circumstances.

Whispers in the Pews tackles how the mentally ill hav
Published November 16th 2018 by Llama Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Whispers in the Pews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers in the Pews

Start your review of Whispers in the Pews: Voices on Mental Illness in the Church
Bethany Jennings
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is real, raw, painful, powerful stuff here. I read it slowly, often weeping as I went.

If you are a Christian, you should read this book. I won’t say “if you know someone with mental illness, read it”...because I can say almost unequivocally that you DO know someone who is fighting that battle. You may not see it, but they are there, often suffering in silence, and often alone. Look for them. Listen to them. Love them.

I deeply appreciate the work Chris Morris has gone to in compiling this co
Katelyn Bolds
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all Christians—hear impactful stories from pastors and parishioners, men, women and children who have struggled with mental illness, abuse, suicide and learn how we as the Church could have supported them better.
Joan
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection of personal stories is a heart breaking book that should be read by every pastor and church leader. Mental illness is on the rise and it is evident that many clergy and Christians in general do not know how to minister to those with mental issues. The church should be a place of safety and healing yet often becomes a place promoting shame and guilt.

A few stories celebrate how the church helped in support and healing. But there is also the story of childhood rape covered up becaus
Denise Barela
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t think I’ve had such a difficult time writing a review for a book. After reading it, my mind was all over the place and I struggled to piece together my thoughts on the message this book conveys. But, I know this for certain: the message in this book is important.

Now, I have to preface this with the point that I don’t think everything in this book is a mental illness. I do, however, think that some churches lack the willingness and/or resources to help those who are struggling with these
Chautona Havig
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Challice’s words:

In Whispers in the Pews, Chris Morris collects the voices of several individuals who have gone through some kind of mental illness and explores how the church responded to them.

Depression comes in various forms, from PTSD, to PPD, to clinical depression, bipolar disorder, and much more. For centuries, the church has been considered a haven; yet for many, dealing with these mental illnesses is a secret that must not be spoken of.

Chris Morris endeavors to enlighten the church b
Deana Dick
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is one that will open your eyes to the preconceived judgement that is associated with mental illness. I loved how the contributors to this book address the body of Christ in a way that hopefully will help people be more compassionate. Mental illness is not something anyone wants to deal with, but I shudder at the way people are treated by society. In the church we are to love each other and not judge. Unfortunately the church is guilty of ignoring people with mental illness. Many don't ...more
Rebecca L.
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

October is Mental Health Awareness Month and author Chris Morris's new book brings together two dozen diverse voices in order to share their experiences with mental health and the church.

Many stories within this book were absolutely heartbreaking to read. This book includes many unique narratives, not just ones of childhood trauma, but I found the testimonies related to childhood trauma to be the most haunting. What some the authors of had to endure as children is unimaginable. Understandably, s
Debbie
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Whispers in the Pews" by Chris Morris is a collection of essays from people from different walks of life and how they view mental Illness. These books need to be in every church library and every Christian home. Depression and mental illness can and does affect mothers and wives, children and husbands, fathers and nurses and doctors and even Christians and preachers.

This book offers suggestions about how to help those experiencing mental issues. Something as simple as coming along side and lis
Rebecca D.
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book recounts how the church has either helped or mishandled the mental health conditions and crises of the writers themselves, or of their close family members. This book is a "must read" for seminary students, pastors, lay leaders and Christian counselors.
Jeanie
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celebratelit
Whispers in the Pews is a collection of writings by people living with one or more kinds of mental illness, their own or that of a family member, and how they are helped or hurt in their church. I had hoped that the church as a whole would be more compassionate than many experience, yet in many churches, it is still considered a lack of faith, unconfessed sin, or other spiritual malady.

Many thanks to the one who put together this collection and all who have shared your painful experiences whethe
Becky Lewis
Where does one begin expressing one’s thoughts about a book like this? Whispers in the Pews, edited by Chris Morris, is a collection of various Christians’ thoughts on how the church is, for the most part, failing to meet the needs of its members who are dealing with mental illness. Each essay presented is written by a person who struggles. Most struggle with depression and/or anxiety, but some struggle with illnesses such as bipolar or schizophrenia. Many deal with PTSD.
Most feel like the chur
Challice Neipp
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic collection of essays written by various voices in varying circumstances within mental illness. Within each viewpoint, each writer explains how they have dealt with their pain and illness within their homes and within the church. The book is comprised of all these experiences to enlighten those within the church to separate the idea of spiritual weakness and mental illness. Of how to be compassionate and caring, not jumping down with a sermon and formula for recovery.

Within t
Katie
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is ON POINT. Every Christian needs to read this. Whether you wonder what the big deal is with mental illness, or you want to be able to understand it so you can minister better, or you're a pastor, you NEED TO READ THIS. I can't emphasize that enough. This book shows mental illness for what it truly is- an illness that is real. The author, however, does not leave out the fact that spiritual help can be useful, he simply allows those who have had/have a mental illness in the church shar ...more
Janice Sisemore
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Whispers in the Pews

Whispers in the Pews is a collection of stories about men and women in the church. That you can still be depressed, have a mental illness even though you are active in church.

A couple of highlights from the book “ Mental Illness is a dirty little secret in the church “ and “Churches can become a safe Haven for the Mentally ill”. Both are true, the second quote is how it should be.

Mental illness can affect a lot of people, in and out of the church. Needs to be treated like
Patti Pierce
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whispers in the Pew examines how faith and unresolved pain can collide. Chris Morris captures stories of what other people have gone through. Mental illness has a way of plaguing people and often I feel the church lacks in its response to those individuals. Individuals suffer from immeasurable pain that requires care and compassion rather than judgment. The stories opened my eyes and my heart. Truly this is a book that every Christian should read.

Often I know we try to mask our pain by pretendin
Kathy Anderson
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chris Morris @chrismorriswrites has gathered a collection of essays from individuals and/or their families that have dealt with the trauma of various forms of mental Illness including clinical depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder and other illnesses. As you read this book you may find yourself grabbing a Kleenex or two. Everyone should read Whispers In The Pews.

I was given an ARC of this book from Celebrate Lit. I received no compensation and a positive review was not required. All opinions are
Beth
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a topic that I think the Church has ignored but we can no longer ignore this. We need to understand mental illness and understand how the Gospel speaks to us and those suffering from mental illness. The reason I selected this book is that I wanted to begin to understand mental illness to understand how to minister to those around me in this condition.

Whispers in the Pews is a collection of essays about various topics included in mental illness -- Post Trauma Stress Disorder, depression,
Steven Rodriguez

• The Dream-Child's Progress and Other Essays
  • The Mythology of Science
  • The Deluded Atheist: A Response To Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion
  • The Imperfect Disciple: Grace for People Who Can't Get Their Act Together
  • Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2)
  • Why I Am Not A Seventh-Day Adventist
  • Does God Exist?: A Socratic Dialogue on the Five Ways of Thomas Aquinas
  • Westminster's Confession: The Abandonment of Van Til's Legacy
  • Basic Christianity
  • An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • Theistic Evolution, A Sinful Compromise
  • Illogical Atheism: A Comprehensive Response to the Contemporary Freethinker from a Lapsed Agnostic
  • The Complete Stories, Vol. 2: Bitter Ends
  • The Complete Stories, Vol. 3: Last Rites
  • Christian Interpretations of Genesis 1 (Christian Answers to Hard Questions) (Apologia)
I have never been good friends with normal, for more reasons than I can count. Pain and disappointment, these I’m well-acquainted with.

More recently, I have been learning how to rediscover hope in my life. I’m learning how to hold tight to my good God who never abandons me, even when it seems He is silent.

As a child, I knew what it was to live in fear. I won an award in school for writing an autob