Start by marking “Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)” as Want to Read:
Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)

Reap the Whirlwind

(Star Trek: Vanguard #3)

The mystery of the Taurus Reach is about to be revealed.Ancient secrets lie on the fourth planet of the Jinoteur system, and three great rivals are fighting to control it. The Federation and the Klingon Empire want to wield its power; the Tholian Assembly wants to bury it.

But the threat stirring on that distant world is more dangerous than they realize. The Shedai, who rul
Mass Market Paperback, 445 pages
Published June 2007 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Reap the Whirlwind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reap the Whirlwind

Terence
May 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
Reap the Whirlwind is the third book in the Vanguard series of “Star Trek” novels.

For those who may have missed earlier reviews of the previous novels: Vanguard is a Federation starbase in the Taurus Reach, a region of space between the UFP, the Klingons and the Tholians. Several years before the opening of the initial volume – Harbinger Star Trek Vanguard 1 – Starfleet discovered what it calls the meta-genome, clear evidence of an incredibly advanced race that had once dominated the region. Und
Alex
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, star-trek
The more books by David Mack I read, the more I believe that he is the number one Star Trek writer out there at the moment. Having written one of the most meaningful stories of the Star Trek Universe (the Destiny trilogy) and having made contributions to numerous other Star Trek series, he is, in my opinion, the author who manages to best capture the Star Trek atmosphere. When reading his books I am totally immersed in the story and location. Totally involved in the character progression.

Reap t
Aron
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: asap, st-vanguard
Outstanding & best so far of the Vanguard series!
John R. Goyer
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty much everything I could ask for in a great sci-fi book - big ideas, interesting characters, a satisfying series of storylines, some of which have been resolved in this book, some continue, some have just been introduced - a wonderful sense of humanity and character development - even though this is volume 3 of 9, I already feel that I've been paid back for my reading with the adventures so far, and the revelations of the origin of Taurus Reach. This is going to be a hard volume to follow ...more
Gustavo
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this book, several open story threads introduced in the first and second volume finally collapse and get resolved. It might not be the resolution you were hoping for but for me it made it a far more interesting read than the previous book of the series.

It was really good to see a supporting cast as Quin take a more frontline role, and the way that made him evolve was great.

Several other characters went through very defining moments in this book, so this makes it a must read, as it changes t
M.R. Bowers
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
An excellent conclusion to the first act of VANGUARD, this exciting novel brings the events set up in books 1 and 2 to a satisfying climax, while setting up plenty of conflict and mystery for the second half of the series.
Michael Mullin
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good. Hope the next one is just as good
Terry
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Read

Vanguard #3 is another good effort. David is one of my favorite authors. Looking forward to Vanguard #4. A court martial to conduct.
Adam
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easily the best yet of this spectacular series.
Patrick
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Big story

This story was relentless, never letting you catch your breath. A real page turner. Best of the series so far.
David King
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“Reap The Whirlwind” by David Mack is the 3rd novel in the Star Trek Vanguard series and it really highlights how these novels are getting better and better. The novel is full of engaging philosophical and moral dilemmas set amongst a thoroughly engrossing and enjoyable space adventure. Simply put, I believe this novel and the series in general is proving to be Star Trek at its very best.

The story itself picks up several weeks after the events of the previous novel, “Summon The Thunder”. The anc
Andrew Maddox
Well... What a ride.

After reading the first two Vanguard novels I came away feeling very underwhelmed. The plot was intriguing and the characters had promise but there was far too much set up, too many characters to keep up with and too much padding.

This story changed everything. The plot was thrilling and kept me hooked throughout with lots of twists and turns that had me saying to myself "just one more chapter" despite the fact it was 2 in the morning. The characters whilst still too many to k
Joe
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading Reap the Whirlwind, the third book in the Star Trek Series Vanguard. I know, it's not current news and the book is seven years old now, but I just read it and I think it's worth sharing.

Vanguard focuses on events surrounding the Taurus Reach, a mostly unexplored region of space between the borders of the Federation, the Klingon Empire, and the Tholian Assembly. The series is named for Starbase 47, Vanguard, where a lot of the story takes place. The Federation moved into
Nicky2910
Danie
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
It's sort of weird when you get near the end of a story and realize that there's nearly another whole book to be read. Not a bad thing exactly, but it was a bit distracting, because after about page 351 the story truly seemed concluded to me, and concluded well. But, you read what is on the page and so I kept going and it was a good little extra novella after the first part, though not as very exciting as the first part of the book. Mack is a very good author when it comes to weaving all these n ...more
Luke Sims-Jenkins
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The third book in the Vanguard series is full of interesting twists and turns and is most definitely the most exciting instalment so far. It's hard to say too much without spoiling it, but at times its funny, one character makes a MacGyver type escape and revelations abound. It has pretty much everything you'd want from Star Trek even though there is only one character from the screen in it (that I know of) and thats Commander Terrell who'd be a captain in Wrath of Khan. Everytime I read his sec ...more
Jimyanni
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
This is the third book in the "Vanguard" series. The series continues past this book, and there are numerous subplots that have been left hanging, but the initial set of plotlines set in motion in the first two books of the series have been nicely tied up here. There has been some extremely radical character development, surprising in that some major characters have had major shifts in their paradigms. The story is well-told, neatly written and nicely paced, and the conclusions to the plotlines ...more
Benjamin Plume
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
A lot of payoff in this book for things set up in "Harbinger" and "Summon the Thunder." The Vanguard books have a broader range of characters than a lot of Star Trek installments. Since the crew of a starship character set has been done so many times, it's nice to have something a little different (a journalist, intelligence operative, smuggler, JAG officer, civilian scientist, colonial officials, ambassadorial staff) featured prominently. Vanguard also makes a lot of sense of the Tholians. I'd ...more
Mario
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This entire series has been such a delight so far. But what happened in the latter third of this book, just blew me away. I totally would have never expected this from anything that has 'Star Trek' on its label, and I love it! David Mack's knack for throwing things out the window and just giving us an epic adventure...with characters that you genuinely care about. I care about so many, even the Quinn/Pennington bromance that's going on. I implore all my friends that might read this review(or any ...more
Bryan Williams
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The third book in the Vanguard series is by far the best, and surprise, surprise, it is written by David Mack, the progenitor of this series. All I can say is WOW...from the amazing adventure on Jinoteur IV, to the horrific command for General Order 24 on Gamma Tauri IV, to the introduction of Dr. Carol Marcus into the storyline, tying Vanguard to the events of later Star Trek movies, this book is just WOW. A MUST READ, and by far the best in the Vanguard series.
Victor
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I was going to give this 2 stars, but it partially redeemed itself in the last 50 or so pages. Now I'm not totally dreading continuing the series. It continues doing a fine job of expanding the TOS era of Star Trek, which I really appreciate. However, it was far too scatterbrained with all the different characters and plot threads that never quite come together. This might just be an issue with being a middle book in a series, but I guess I've come to expect a little more.
John Mosman
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book in the series became a bit more dark. You do not often think of Star Trek with many people getting hurt or killed - not the case here. The folks from the Vanguard station run up against beings that are vastly superior in their powers. Decisions are made to sacrifice some for the "greater good" and legality often out weighs humanity. David Mack write well and the characters are done well. This is as story with difficult results but still in the TOS universe and time frame.
Dan
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm hard-pressed to find a problem with this novel. I am a very lenient and forgiving person, so take this with a grain of salt, but I feel compelled to give Star Trek Vanguard: Reap the Whirlwind a 10/10.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2011/05/r...
Iordanis
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Wrapping up all the plots introduced in the series, the book is a brilliant example of Star Trek Universe's diversity and David Mack's dexterity in writing for the franchise.
Fiona
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would have been a good ending of the book series. But since there are 6 more books to come I am really excited to see what will happen next.
Bill Lancaster
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book by David Mack! I thoroughly enjoyed the action in this one, and took some joy from a.few of the twists...
Carolyn Markley
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the vanguard series a lot interesting characters and in different. Timeline of Star Trek
Tom
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Better than the previous two titles in the series. More action and story arcs pretty much resolved. No surprises in the end does make the series a bit of a downer.
Roland Drake
Sep 18, 2011
  • Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #3)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Obsidian Alliances (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #2)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Burning Dreams
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Enigma (Star Trek: Stargazer, #5)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans on Fac

Star Trek: Vanguard (9 books)
  • Harbinger (Star Trek: Vanguard, #1)
  • Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)
  • Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)
  • Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard, #5)
  • Declassified (Star Trek: Vanguard, #6)
  • What Judgments Come (Star Trek: Vanguard, #7)
  • Storming Heaven (Star Trek: Vanguard, #8)
  • In Tempest's Wake (Star Trek: Vanguard, #9)