Start by marking “Under Currents” as Want to Read:
Under Currents

Under Currents

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  8,664 ratings  ·  1,118 reviews
For both Zane and Darby, their small town roots hold a terrible secret. Now, decades later, they've come together to build a new life. But will the past set them free or pull them under?

Zane Bigelow grew up in a beautiful, perfectly kept house in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains. Strangers―and even Zane’s own aunt across the lake―see his parents as a successful surgeo
Published July 9th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

·  8,664 ratings  ·  1,118 reviews

Corina
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

YES YES YES!!!

This book checked all of my boxes.

I read it over three days, and I WISHED I could have curled up on a Saturday and read it all in one piece. This book deserves your uninterrupted attention - that's how good it was.

First of all, at 17% I already teared up.

The book was a motional powerhouse, well written, and as always very well plotted, Under Currents was one of my favorite Nora Roberts books to date.

Different than other books, the deeply developed characters carried the en
Jilly
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh man! Don't read this if you are sensitive to abuse. All abuse. This book has more triggers than a gun show.

Not that kind of gun show! Although that does trigger me. Read a book, dude! Stop being a douche!

That metaphor worked so well that I will also tell you that this book has more drama than a llama.

Okay, that was more pun than metaphor.
I'll try another one.

This couple has been kicked around so much they are like a hacky sack at a Phish concert.

Gah! There is so much wrong with this picture t
jv poore
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, romance, mystery
Wherein Ms. Roberts delves a bit deeper into mystery/suspense and casts diabolical characters with few redeeming qualities. Balanced by the easy-to-see, beautifully landscaped backdrop and admirable characters that the reader wants to be friends with, Under Currents is the quintessential drop-everything-and-bury-your-head-in-a-book read.
Jonetta
From the outside view, the Bigelows of Lakeview, North Carolina look like the ideal family. Graham Bigelow is the chief of surgery at the local hospital; wife Eliza is the perfect stay at home, affluent mother involved in many charities; son Zane is a baseball phenom, destined for a sports scholarship and possibly the big leagues; and young Britt couldn’t be a more obedient daughter. But, behind the proverbial closed doors is a somewhat different and troubling view because Graham is mean, abusiv ...more
Nicola
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars.

I don’t really have much positive to say about this. It started strong but as we left part one it soon became a snoozefest and to be blunt, if I wanted to read a book on landscape design and gardening, I’d go help myself to my Dad’s copies of Grow Your Own.

Predictable and with dialogue which was at times clunky, the characters were actually likeable enough and clearly something kept me reading although I think it was more wishful thinking and stubbornness, plus it does have a tight-kni
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Nora Roberts has a gift for writing stories that portray all the intricate dynamics of family - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Her stories often demonstrate the power of family to either destroy or save lives and frequently deliver a theme of nature vs. nurture that I find fascinating. I love knowing when I open one of Roberts books that the human spirit of a character may be sorely tested, but the will to survive and persevere over evil will triumph in the end. And I appreciate that she often ...more
Phrynne
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2019
This author really knows how to tell a story and never fails to grab at the readers emotions. Keep a box of tissues handy if you read this.

Reading about domestic abuse is always uncomfortable but Nora Roberts tells the tales of three abusive marriages really effectively. One of them involves children too so be warned if this is a trigger for you. The pain of these issues is counteracted though by including other successful and happy marriages and by showing clearly that it is possible to escape
Jina Bazzar
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nora Roberts is a word magician. I love the way she can make the reader step out of reality and into her stories, embark in the suspense and tension and love of her imagined characters.
That said, I enjoyed this story very much, but I can't say it was amazing – save for part 1, that one was a real jaw dropper. I could have read that part as a stand alone and I'd have rated it a five star.
But the rest, I don't know. I think there were many parts that could have been deleted without changing the st
Lisa-Books Smiles
4.5 stars.
Celeste
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m sure most everyone who follows my reviews has noticed this by now, but I really love Nora Roberts. I don’t tend to read all that much in the contemporary or romance genres, but she’s my exception. I’ve been reading my way through her back catalogue since I was fifteen or so, and for the past ten years have been reading her new releases as soon as I can get my hands on them. Now, she’s one of the few authors who is an insta-buy for me. While Under Currents didn’t blow me away, it was another ...more
Katie
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers!

Let me preface this review by saying Nora Roberts was my favorite author for the past 20 years. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've read The Villa, Montana sky, Sanctuary.. etc.

That being said, I feel like ever since High Noon, she has lost the heart of her earlier books. The characters are all the same, the dialogue is similar, even the situations are similar.
I was pretty hopeful with Under Currents, because the preview was fantastic. And yes, the first half of the book was
Irene Sim
This is the first book I've read of Mrs Roberts. Of course I've read over 20 of the "In Death" books which she writes under the pen name J.D. Robb and I'm perplexed by it because this book doesn't remind me at all of the style, or pace, or plot complexity of her "In Death" books. I know that they are in totally different genders but still this book felt less. Let me elaborate...

"Under Currents" is divided in four parts. The first part “The Cruelty of Lies” is autonomous and tells the story of Z
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Even though this was a hard read with a lot of really tough situations and for some even, triggers, I really liked it. The family bonds, friendships, all the things I love about Nora's books wrapped up in something that was far more emotional than I had planned but in a very good way.
Brittany
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: year-2019
4 Stars!! ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Zane Bigelow grew up in a beautiful, perfectly kept house in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains. Everyone thinks his family is perfect. Only Zane and his sister know the truth, until one brutal night finally reveals cracks in the facade, and Zane escapes for college without a thought of looking
♥Sharon♥
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I have always enjoyed Nora Roberts writing. She has written some of my favorite Romantic Suspense stories. Her books are normally riveting and always seem to keep me on the edge of my seat. For me Under Currents didn’t give me either of these things.

BUT I did enjoy it. I found it exciting at time and one of the things I loved was the banter between the two main characters and all the supporting characters. It was quite the cast characters and I thought they were all great! Such a strong sense
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a great time with this book. I read quite a few books written by Nora Roberts years ago but had not picked up any in recent years. I am now questioning my decision-making skills because I have clearly been missing out. This was a book that started with a bang and was nearly impossible to put down. I honestly enjoyed the experience of reading this book.

The book opens in Zane's childhood. He is a teenager that shows a lot of prom
Stacee
This was my first Nora book and I went in a bit trepidatious due to the subject matter.

I loved Zane and Darby. They have a great relationship and just fit together perfectly. Zane’s family is fantastic and I loved seeing all of the built in support. Not to mention the people Darby collects as she gets settled in. The characters were definitely best part of this story.

Plot wise, it was a bit repetitive and drawn out. The arc I read was 435 pages long and didn’t need to be. There were so many ra
Melissa
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-wins
Having a surgeon as a father, Zane and his sister, Britt, live a privileged life. Or so it seems from the outside. They both live in fear on a daily basis and look forward to the day they can leave for good. Freedom comes sooner than later in one terror filled night.

The first thing I want to say about this book is that it deals with domestic abuse and some of the scenes are quite disturbing. This is an excellent story of resilience, strength and family. I gave it a 5 star rating on the character
Vilma Iris
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A man returns to his hometown after escaping domestic abuse as a boy, but when mysterious attacks threaten the new life he’s been building, he fears his past is back for vengeance.

Zane Bigelow grew up in a gorgeous lakeside home—the son of a surgeon and a socialite. Along with his little sister, they were the perfect family… or so it seemed to Lakeview’s residents. Behind closed doors, however, fear and violence made their home a prison. One horrible night, it all comes to a head and Zane flees
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Nora Roberts is without the doubt the queen of romance. She knows how to draw you in and make you love her characters and truly hate others.

Part I was wow for me. I had to pace while I listened, I was so on edge and in tears.
Part II was good for me. I enjoyed, but wanted more.
Part III is where it all fell apart for me.

SPOILERS AHEAD...

I found the story got repetitive. Emily discloses she's pregnant when Graham sentencing comes in. Britt discloses she's pregnant when they find out their mother i
Ann Lou
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love all the characters in this book except for the bad guys, of course. And I have to admit I got lost a couple of times with all the landscaping talk.

Trigger warning:  domestic violence. murder
Tracy  C
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first quarter of this book alone has your emotions running the gamete. I was all in until about 80% in. Zane and his family were so awesome and Darby was a force of nature. They had both overcome horribly abusive situations and thrived. I just felt like the ending was a bit too much. However, still a wonderfully written book.
Myrna
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nora Roberts always spins a good yarn and this is no exception. This first section was riveting. The ending was predictable but I still enjoyed it. Great mix of Suspense and romance.
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-2019
*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher. This review is solely my own.*

This story is classic Nora Roberts. It includes everything her readers have come to love in her stories: family, love, mystery, community, and a bit of suspense.

My favorite themes in Under Currents are family and community. The sense of family and belonging are interspersed in this book and make it a stand-out story for me.

Possible trigger warnings: domestic abuse.
Lisazj1
Thanks GoodReads, for eating my review. You asshole.

So again, 4.5 stars. When you read a lot of books from the same author, eventually you end up with one that you just didn't love, even though "not as good" from a talented, favorite author is still usually pretty damn good. Nora Roberts hardly ever misses with me.

I enjoy her stories, they're exciting, she's good at keeping the tension going, there's awesome banter, funny moments, terrific friends and family and her romance is so freaking good t
Brie
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
CW: domestic violence; graphic scenes of women and children being abused.

*Insert "It's been 84 years" Titanic meme here*

Oh boy. This book is 100 pages of harrowing, yet gripping stuff, sandwiched between like 10000000000 pages of landscaping. Actually, it's not really sandwiched, because the compelling parts happen at the beginning, and the ending is just a sad trombone of an anticlimactic denouement. But this book is stronger than her most recent hardcover standalones, so at least there's that?
Anita
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) provided by the Author and Publisher in exchange for an fair and honest review.

Very intense beginning which casts a shadow over the whole book. Mystery/Suspense 90% and Romance 10%, and a very sedate, one step up from cozy, romance at that. I love a great Mystery/Suspense and can forgive a lot if the Romance is subpar, but I can't even say this book is in that category. There were intense moments, but you just knew that Zane's psycho dad was going to come back to wreck
Katie (katieladyreads)
Typical Nora and felt a lot like The Obsession but it was a nice mix of romance and suspense. The ending was predictable and I could have done without all the “darlin’”s but would still recommend.
Liz Barnsley
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and emotional family drama. Full review to follow.
HelEinir
description

It's official, Nora is stuck with one formula, much like Susan Elizabeth Phillips (but at least SEP seems to be taking a break). A formula that I admittedly enjoyed too much to complain about before, but this is just shameless. Nora has been publishing the same book under different titles for a few years now. All that changes are the names, the professions, and the location of the little American town full of nice people eager to help the newcomer. Throw in a dark past full of violence/abuse tha

• Stone Cold Heart (Tracers #13)
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Wolf Rain (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #3; Psy-Changeling, #18)
  • First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)
  • Munro (Immortals After Dark, #19)
  • The Blacksmith (Iron Seas #5)
  • This Scot of Mine (The Rogue Files, #4)
  • Toxic Game (GhostWalkers, #15)
  • Shamed (Kate Burkholder, #11)
  • A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)
  • All It Takes (Romancing Manhattan, #2)
  • Say You Still Love Me
  • Slow Ride (Road to Love, #2)
  • Dukes Are Forever (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy #5)
  • When a Rogue Meets His Match (Greycourt, #2)
  • The Once and Future Earl (The Worth Saga, #7)
  • Eternal Storm (Mark of the Vampire, #7)
  • Cold & Deadly (Cold Justice: Crossfire, #1)