Start by marking “The Two Lives of Lydia Bird” as Want to Read:
The Two Lives of Lydia Bird

The Two Lives of Lydia Bird

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  28,637 ratings  ·  4,144 reviews

THE NEXT CAPTIVATING NOVEL FROM THE BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF ONE DAY IN DECEMBER

Two Lives. Two Loves. One Impossible Choice.

Lydia and Freddie. Freddie and Lydia. They've been together for almost a decade, and Lydia thinks their love is indestructible.

But she's wrong. Because on her 27th birthday, Freddie dies in a car accident.

So now it's just Lydia, and all she wan

Kindle Edition, UK, 432 pages
Published January 30th 2020 by Penguin

·  28,637 ratings  ·  4,144 reviews

Start your review of The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
_ngallagher
Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. It’s both clearly a romance but also distinctly not....? Idk
jessica
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a complicated book for me to rate and review.

my immediate reaction is that i enjoyed it - hence the 4 stars. i must be a glutton for heartache, because ‘loss of a significant other’ is a romance trope i actually quite enjoy, even though it breaks my heart every single time. there is just something so comforting about seeing someone deal with unimaginable grief and become stronger because of it. the heart surely is a resilient thing.

that being said, if i took the time to dissect and nit
Susanne  Strong
5 Lovely Lyrical Magical Stars

Do you believe in Magic? In the possibility of getting back the life you lost?

For Lydia Bird, that possibility becomes a reality when her best friend and fiancé Freddie Hunter passes away in a car crash and she discovers a magical way to “be” with him again.

Best Friends, the love of each other's lives, and hopeless romantics. Lydia and Freddie had it all, until one day, that love was taken away from them, leaving Lydia’s life in shambles. Her mother, her sister a
Kaceey
A beautiful, hypnotic love story!

Lucky Lydia! She has it all. Let’s start with her charming Fiancé Freddy, then there’s her best friend (and Freddies’) since they were school kids, Jonah. And let’s not forget her dear mom and sister. She’s positively over-the-moon happy with her picture-perfect life.
Today is Lydias’ Birthday. But there won’t be anything happy about this day. Life is about to take a serious turn for the worst after her Freddie is involved in a tragic accident

Lydia is in the gri
Irena BookDustMagic
Perfection. That is the one word I would use to describe The Two Lives of Lydia Bird.

This novel has stolen my heart with it’s beautiful storyline, with the intensity of emotions it awoke in me.
I honestly can’t even remember when was the last time I fell in love with the book so hard…

If I’m not mistaken, it was back in 2018 when I read One Day in December, that was one of my favourite reads that year.

If nothing (but it’s not nothing, it’s everything) this book showed just how amazing Josie Silver
Paromjit
Josie Silver follows the fabulous One Day in December with this in depth study of the heartbreaking grief and loss experienced by Lydia Bird when on her 28th birthday, her fiance, Freddie Hunter dies in a car accident, whilst his best friend, Jonah Jones, whilst injured, lives to walk free. Lydia lived with Freddie in Shropshire, her whole life had revolved around him since they were fourteen years old at school and they were planning their wedding for the following year. To say that Lydia's lif ...more
JanB
I read to 53%, and was completely bored so I started skimming. I then read the last 5% and realized I could not care less what happened between 53% and the ending so I set it aside.

I enjoyed the authors last book but this one was not for me. I’m leaving it unrated.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was pretty much exactly what you would expect it to be and it was (mostly) delightful! My only real complaint about this one is that it almost felt like it went on a little long for my personal tastes. I was completely gripped for the first half (seriously, I was crying like every other chapter), but I'd be lying if I didn't say that the last third of the book lost my attention at times because the story dragged on for a bit too long. Overall, this wasn't a perfect book, but it was a surpri ...more
Debra
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Lydia thought she and Freddie would be together forever. Happily, ever after was her goal. But life had other plans. On her twenty-eighth birthday, Freddie died in a car accident. Initially, she shuts down and doesn't want to move on, doesn't want to go out. Her sister and Mother try everything. Finally, Lydia agrees to get some sleep in her room and NOT the couch. This is where things get interesting. In her dreams, Freddie is alive, and they continue living their lives together.

Soon,
Larry H
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love a book that has you sobbing in the wee hours of the morning!! Such was the case with Josie Silver's new book, The Two Lives of Lydia Silver .

Life can change in a split second. One second Lydia was waiting for her fiancé, Freddie, to arrive at her birthday dinner; the next second she learns that he was killed in a car accident on the way.

"It's probably for the best if the last time you do something momentous passes you by unheralded: the last time my mother collected me at the schoo
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Well this was a hell of an emotional roller coaster! I spent much of the book confused and then BAM 💥 it clicked and it brought me to tears… anyone that has suffered a loss can relate. The ending is .... fabulous ❤️

This is a very emotionally charged read for me. Like I said, most of the book had me confused and a bit frustrated until I figured out what was really going on with Lydia Bird. Now nobody truly knows what is going on with a character, except the author themselves. So we all have a per
Emer (A Little Haze)
'The Two Lives of Lydia Bird' is the new novel by Josie Silver, the author of last year's women's fiction sensation 'One Day in December'. I enjoyed One Day in December but this book...
This book is on another level compared to that! It is thoroughly gripping and truly emotional.

The story follows the titular Lydia Bird as she struggles to deal with life in the aftermath of her fiancé Freddie's sudden and tragic death. In the waking world we see Lydia shut down and find herself listlessly moving
Christy
3 stars

photo IMG_6545_zps9xs7rij2.png

After reading Josie Silver’s ‘One Day in December’ I couldn’t wait to get to her newest novel The Two Lives of Lydia Bird. I loved the synopsis of this one and it had so much potential, but unfortunately it was just alright for me. I liked it, but I didn’t love it like I did her other book.

Lydia and Freddie are the couple that’s been together forever. They’re engaged and meant to be. That is, until Freddie passes on Lydia’s 28th birthday. Lydia’s life is forever changed, as one could
Amanda
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After falling in love with One Day In December, I was thinking this next book couldn’t be as good, but I was thankfully wrong!!

Lydia and Freddie are engaged, their love should last a lifetime but how long is a lifetime? Sadly on Lydia’s birthday, Freddie and his best friend Jonah are involved in a car accident and Freddie dies.

Lydia is a great character, you can really feel her pain and despair at losing her true love. Lydia wants to hide away but with help from friend Jonah and sister Elle, the
demi. ♡
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-release
❥ 5 / 5 stars

I didn’t expect much from this book but whoa, it turns out to be a lot better than her previous book and I’M BLOODY IMPRESSED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!
NReads
Nov 22, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
yo I got this ARC and I am going to read the hell out of it
Marialyce
I have a file on goodreads entitled "I wish I had liked this book more" into which I am placing this story. While I loved this author's One Day in December, this new book just didn't give me all the thrills I was expecting.

First and foremost, I do think the author handles the very important topic of grief quite well. She managed to portray the very devastation that losing a loved one fosters on those who have experienced that loss. Certainly, her main character, Lydia, is overwhelmed by the trag
Jayme
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
How do you continue living WITHOUT the person you have been in love with since you were fourteen years old-Your fiancée, who was killed in a car accident on your 27th birthday???

After losing Freddie, Lydia is barely functioning, until she is prescribed some pills, to help her to get some much needed sleep...

Once the pills are prescribed, two separate narratives begin…

🌙 ASLEEP: Lydia finds that if she takes her sleeping pill, she will DREAM
of Freddie… of the life they would have lived, the life
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 and ALL THE FEELS!!!!!!

Lydia and Freddie have been together since they were practically kids. After over a decade together, they’re now engaged and happily planning their future together. On the way to Lydia’s birthday dinner, Freddie dies tragically in a car accident. His best friend Jonah is also in the car but he comes out with nothing but a scratch on his face and a shattered heart for the loss of his best friend.

Lydia’s grief is all consuming. Unable to handle every day life, una
Kendall
One Day In December was one of my top books of 2019. I absolutely devoured it! So, of course I was ecstatic to get my hands on Silver's new novel!

Well.... would it be any different for me to be the outlier on a book? Nope haha! I really struggled with this book and was a very very slow burn of a book.

I think the premise of the book was great.... Lydia adjusting to the love of her life Freddie dying in a car accident. The concept of grief and coping is heavy throughout this book and felt more of
Katie B
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of the author's previous novel, One Day in December. Needless to say I was very much looking forward to reading this one. And while this one didn't turn out to be another 5 star read, I was left feeling in awe of the writer's talent for exploring a popular topic in a unique way. When you feel like you are getting something new and different from a subject that has been explored to death (pun intended) that's always a good thing to experience as a reader.

Lydia and Freddie have been
Sylvie {on semi-hiatus}
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I made a mistake again finishing a Josie Silver book in a public place. meaning: sobbing like a ninny in front of strangers.

BernLuvsBooks
4 heartfelt story of love, loss and healing stars!

I loved One Day in December so I was excited to read this latest book by Josie Silver and it didn’t disappoint. It was a bit emotionally heavy at times but it was so heartfelt. I was completely invested in Lydia’s grief and her struggle to find her way back to living and loving. ⁣

This was a slow burn which I felt worked well with the story line of healing. Grief is real - it takes time to process through loss. There are ups and downs and mom
Book of the Month
Why I love it
by Sara Hildreth

I shy away from sentimental reads. If an author is overtly manipulating my emotions, I have no problem rolling my eyes and setting the book aside. Luckily, I’m here to tell you that The Two Lives of Lydia Bird possesses not one moment of emotional fakery. This novel is as raw as it is charming, and one of the most earnestly heartfelt books I have read.

Freddie and Lydia have been together since they were 14, and Lydia can’t imagine her life without him. But a few mont
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
<3 4 stars <3

The two lives of Lydia was an emotional ,heartbreaking read but also sweet!My heart broke for Lydia and I was aching for her. The whole book is about Lydia trying to come to terms living without Freddie.

description

There were moments I find myself crying and others that I have a smile on my face.I loved the writing, it was fast paced and the characters were fantastic, not only Lydia but the rest too.

The ending was sweet I just wanted a little bit more of it!This is the reason it wasn't a five
Tinichix (nicole)
Some books come along at just the right time, and this book came at the perfect time for me. We just clicked. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve cried. It only took me about 20 pages to develop giant alligator tears. Wow she took a hold of the heart strings right away and just pulled. I think anyone who has loved, lost someone, or even both, will be able to relate to a lot of feelings and emotions in this book. But it’s not all a downer. It’s a beautiful story with incredible characters. It ...more
DeAnn
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75 swoon worthy stars

I loved Josie Silver’s first book “One Day in December” so I jumped at the chance to read an early release of this one. Now she is on my must-read list! This book was such a romantic, yet heartbreaking story. The ending made me cry! I loved it! (Although the plot sounded a little far-fetched when my daughter asked about the book I was reading)

We have Lydia Bird and her amazing boyfriend/fiancée Freddie – they’ve been together since age 14 and are planning their wedding nex
elena
Aug 30, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbrsoon-planned
this really reminds me of hi bye, mama! in a way (minus the child + ghost which are basically two key elements of the show but . . . still) and now i really want to read it.

Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
2.5 Stars

You know those stories that gut you, that take your breath away? They’re heart wrenching and just unforgettable?? Well this is NOT one of those books.

This was dull and boring. I liked the idea of the two lives but honestly there was no plot. I was hoping that it would go somewhere but it didn’t. It was just a woman dealing with her grief. If you like grief tropes then you may like this one. Just be aware a lot and I mean A LOT of the book is useless talk.
Michelle
❤️ Eat Pray Love meets P.S. I Love You.❤️

“I feel like half a person, as if an artist turned their pencil upside down and erased half of me from the page too.”

This book nearly broke me in two. Had I not buddy read this with good friends, I’d probably still be crying myself to sleep.

This book hit SO close to home it hurt. It doesn’t have to be your husband that you lost to feel the heaviness that resides, any grief will do. That being said, I’d gladly read it over and over until the pages fall o
Opening Round
20,033 Votes Cast

• When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • Starve Acre
  • Reputation
  • So Lucky
  • The Christmas Holiday
  • The Assistant
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • Beach Read
  • The Argument
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • Winter Tales (The Original Sinners, #8.7)
  • In Five Years
  • The Lost Ones
  • Seven Days
  • What Happens Now?
  • The Gift of Happiness
  • Snowflakes at Mistletoe Cottage
Josie Silver is an unashamed romantic who met her husband when she stepped on his foot on his twenty-first birthday. She lives with him, her two young sons, and their cats in a little midlands town in England.

Articles featuring this book

We're halfway through the year that time forgot! Ahem...I mean, 2020. Believe it or not, it's June. Traditionally, this is when the...
“I’ve learned not to question my own actions and thoughts too deeply though, sometimes you just have to go with whatever gets you through the day.” 12 likes
“Billions of humans, all of us scurrying around the planet, falling in and out of love with each other for no reason explicable by logic or numbers or common sense. How unaccountably strange we are.” 11 likes