Start by marking “Cover Stories (Volume 1: Sinners & Beginners)” as Want to Read:
Cover Stories (Volume 1: Sinners & Beginners)

Cover Stories (Volume 1: Sinners & Beginners)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  9 ratings  ·  7 reviews

COVER STORIES; 8 Classic Songs Remixed As Short Stories

A new kind of book that takes some of pop's greatest tracks and "covers" them as short stories.

Praise for "Cover Stories" "Funny, smart, chilling, moving and ultimately heartbreaking – if you like music, space travel, satire, counterfactual history, love and the human condition... you'll love these...  This deserves

Published October 4th 2018 by The Vinyl Press

To ask other readers questions about Cover Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cover Stories

really liked it 4.00  ·

Sam Law
Read More Book Reviews on my blog It's Good To Read
Summary:

The author takes eight songs, most of which are instantly familiar (Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil” for example, or Hendrix’s “Hey Joe”), and writes a short story that cleverly intertwines with the title song. This is no mere re-telling of the song, but a creation of a different world that has echoes of the song in it.

The stories are paced exactly right, with a great blend of humour, pathos, sci-fi, and one story in particul
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The premise of the book hooked me immediately - short stories which use songs as their inspirational starting point. I love music almost as much as I love reading, and with a heavy dose of artists I grew up on (Bowie, the Stones and Lou Reed) I had to try this intriguing mash-up. I wasn't disappointed, as each story is creative and clever. I particularly loved the haunting Space Oddity, the wonderful A Team and the heartbreaking couplet of Caroline Says (II) and Hey Joe. Like many short story co ...more
Cat
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the premise of this book!I thought it might have been about the album cover art, but was pleasantly surprised to find out otherwise! These are my type of goto stories when time is short. I love short stories! These are unique as they tell imagines stories about the hit songs. Not the actual behind the scenes tales, but fictional accounts of each song as imagined by the writer. I could relate to the premise, as I am sure most people can. You hear a song and imagine the folks in the story! I ...more
Charlie Latham
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly funny satire book there’s nothing serious about ‘cover stories’ just laughs, laughs and more laughs.

What a brilliant idea, so simple yet absolutely and utterly entertaining. What they’ve done is chosen a selection of well-known songs and then using the title and theme of the song turned them into little easy-to-read stories.

Well, I have to say the writer could not have done a greater job.

A great concept and one that’s been executed to absolute perfection. If you’re a music lover
Lauren
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic concept for a book. The author, Richard Easter has selected various well-known songs and written stories about them. Admittedly I hadn't heard of all of the songs this is likely down to my age. Even though I was unfamiliar with some of them, I still appreciate the work that went into each of the stories. Music lovers are sure to love this book. Richard Easter's creativity is on another level, and I thoroughly enjoyed this collection.
Leyla Johnson
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was not what I expected, but I must say I'm really pleased that it wasn't, as it by far over reached my expectations and provided a wonderful and enjoyable read. You do need to read it in order, no flicking from story to story, and it will all come together, beautiful and with much satisfaction.
Please take a chance in this book, it is a fabulous feat of story telling, which will leave one with a feeling of " wow what just happened here?" I really cant recommend this book enough.
Darren
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a e book from net galley. I enjoyed reading it. It was a good book of short stories. It is my first book read by this author. I hope to read more books by this author.
Cathy