Start by marking “Taming the Paper Tiger at Home” as Want to Read:
Taming the Paper Tiger at Home

Taming the Paper Tiger at Home

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
At home, people deal with piles of bills, magazines, receipts, and junk mail but they have no system in place for the non-stop barrage of paper that enters the house. This book taps into this problem and offers easy-to-follow guidelines on filing, labeling, recordkeeping, and living clutter-free.
Published August 1st 2005 by Kaplan Publishing (first published October 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Taming the Paper Tiger at Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taming the Paper Tiger at Home

Emily
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
A book on how to deal with all the paper in your life. Most of it was the same stuff I had read in previous organizing books. I did have a few Ah Ha moments, here goes.

Create an action folder for holding onto papers that need more action, a phone call, checking your calendar, etc. Clutter is just a postponed decision. She suggests ignoring the back log and starting with the present.

And my biggest insight, was
"A creative mind always has more ideas than the body can carry out. Many of those idea
Amie
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: organizing, 2017
Most of this book is INCREDIBLY outdated. There was some useful information, but not as much as I'd hoped for. I'd love to see a revised and updated edition.
Jeff
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
First, if someone recommends this book to you, do not read the version published with "Paper Tiger" in the title. Per the author's website, there is an updated version called "Organizing Paper @ Home," published in 2012.

The version I read was published in 2002, and seemed very dated. I had to smile at some of the references to "new technology" like PDAs. The world really has changed a lot since 2002, and if you have a smartphone, some of the advice in this book will be obsolete.

There are some go
Mary Anne
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wish I'd read this book about 6 months sooner than I did. As it was, I read it and tried to apply it just as John Ray started kindergarten and I had Samuel. Implementing a new filing system at such a time was doomed to failure. I really do feel like it's a good system and flexible for anyone BUT because it initially failed in our household certain other members of my household feel it's not practical and will not try it (this person prefers the leave-it-in-a-pile-on-the-table-as-a-visual-remin ...more
Joce(lyn) Allen
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I didn't know sorting through & filing all my random piles of old messy notes & overwhelming files (and tossing out countless recycling bin loads of them) would improve and clear up my life so much.

Paper clutter = delayed decisions (such as unfinished project ideas, unpaid bills and to-dos), outdated stuff (such as old unattended event fliers and expired contact info) and repetitive or otherwise unnecessary info. If clutter tends to hold you back (even in areas other than paper - e
anna
May 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with paper in their life
This is a great book to help get organized with all the paper of life... It has an efficient and easy to understand and implement system that truly does make for less forgetting and hassles. also, less searching when it comes to finding what i need. I cant say I've fully gotten a handle on things, but this book and its advice are really helping. It is especially helping with stayign organized at work, too! Love it, I'm buying one for myself...

-a
Sheree
Oct 13, 2009 rated it liked it
This book covers all aspects of household papers. From going through the paper, to setting up the system and maintaining it. Also gives ideas on other household paper like "to- read", recipes, family memorabilia and kids projects. If yoou struggle to keep up with all of the paper in your home you need to read this book.
Mary Lou
Feb 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
First, this was REALLY dated -- answering machines, film cameras, paper correspondence... And I'm one of the few people who still lives this way! Otherwise, just not that helpful. She really lost me when she said, speaking of excessive books, "If there is no available space, consider renting a self-storage unit." Seriously?
Cindy
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
A worthwhile read for those ready to really systematize their home offices. However, you need only ready Taming for at home or at work. The content is very similar. Excellent advice for the beginner and words of wisdom for the experienced looking to freshen up their organizing plan.
Michelle Beese
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great help with paper management!
Bethany Lockhart
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read a version from '98, so it was out of date with issues regarding computers, digital back ups, etc. Still though, great info and a ton of useful tips!
Lisa
Aug 08, 2008 rated it liked it
This probably deserves a higher rating ... I'm just a helpless case!
Feb 05, 2013