Start by marking “End of Ever After (End of Ever After, #1)” as Want to Read:
End of Ever After (End of Ever After, #1)

End of Ever After

(End of Ever After #1)

"I had never wondered about Snow White once her prince kissed and whisked her away. I had imagined a similarly happy fate for the Sleeping Beauty.
Would either have warned me had I asked for the truth?
That 'Happily Ever After' doesn't exist?"

When the invitation to the prince's ball was put in her hands, Ella imagined a single night of wonder, a single night to escape he
Published October 16th 2018 by Fire & Ice Young Adult Books (first published October 10th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about End of Ever After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about End of Ever After

Start your review of End of Ever After (End of Ever After, #1)
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
End of Ever After is the first in a series of fairy tale re-tellings by E.L. Tenenbaum. After reading this one about CinderElla, I can only say that I WILL be reading the others. This was a fantastic re-telling of the original story, rather than the Disney version. I loved how it was played out, told as past and present tense intermingle, giving you hints of what is to come without knowing the full details.

I thought the names given to the characters were excellent, and I thoroughly enjoyed putti
Sydney (sydneysshelves) West
DNF at 12% bc I can’t with the writing. Weird and badly worded sentences that just confused me. No thanks.
Caroline
I was SO lucky to get to read this book prior to publication, as I'm the acquisition editor for Fire & Ice YA Books.

I was utterly entranced with this story. I read four of the five books in this series back to back and it took a lot to pull me away from each story.

This version of Cinderella starts out exactly how you expect, but soon you realize Cinderella and her Prince Charming aren't quite as happy as we've been led to believe. Things get dark, but not too dark, and though the ending isn't th
Nicole Vanadia Davis
I enjoyed this retelling. Lots of new details and a different spin on a classic. I loved that the story continued past the marriage and the "happily ever after." That was new and exciting. Ella's character was very consistent even near the end when you think it would be a character deviation. I didn't love the super sweet ultra forgiving personality but it worked for the book. The other characters were also great but my issue (and why I deducted 2 stars) was the storytelling itself. The entire b ...more
Nicole Myers
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sarah Hickner
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I mostly enjoyed this book. It was a great story, with a fun and interesting twist on the classic Cinderella. I loved how Cinderella’s name came to be and how she grew into a strong, good queen as well as the hint of romance that grew throughout. What gave it just 3 stars for me was the constant foreshadowing of what was to come. It seemed every 2 paragraphs Ella would make a statement about “that was then” or “but I was blind to the truth” or something. It was overkill in my opinion & made it d ...more
Julie Nichol
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a different way of retelling. I loved it, but it was also fairly dark. I enjoyed the character of Ella, but I didn't enjoy the bitter undertones in the story. The story is written in a dark way to show that Ella regrets her actions. I liked how nice she was, but I struggled with how... how do I put this?She was almost clinging to the past. She couldn't let go of her mother, but she was willing to just let other people walk all over her. I am doing a terrible job of this reveiw.

Here we
Jeanette George
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
End of Ever After is fabulous; its like no other retelling I've ever read. It asks the question what happens to Cinderella after the fan fare and excitement of the glass slipper.

I really like how this story unfolds and the evolution of Ella. I especially enjoyed the ending.

This book is well worth the time.

Angel Leya
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a neat take on the old tale. The author grabbed elements from the original, not following the Disney path, which I could appreciate. I even appreciated the alternate ending. That happily ever after wasn't the end of her story. That there was so much more to it than even she appreciated until it was too late.

What I struggled with was the wistful narration. We're told the story from Ella's perspective, of course, but it's told by future her. The one who knows how the story ends. The one w
Kelly
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The End of Ever After explores what happens to Cinderella after the traditional fairy tale ends. Well written and enjoyable. Highly recommend.

E.L. Tenenbaum
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm so excited for this series!
This Cinderella retelling is the first of a five-part, darker fairy tale series.
Although the books are companions to each other, I'd recommend reading them in order of publishing to avoid possible spoilers.
Also, keep an eye out for other tales and fables woven into the stories!
Petra
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! A great retelling because of a number of factors.

First of all, the writing was captivating, the descriptions spot on. Very, very soon the author got me with a description that sent me back to some ideal time in my life that I cannot even remember: "During spring and summer, the green lawns were hardly visible beneath the most wonderful shades of blue, pink, purple, yellow, and white flowers. They cozied up to tree trunk and popped out between blades of grass, their petals
Kathrine
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this one. Which would be great, except that I wanted to love it. I enjoy a good fairy tale retelling (Beauty by Robin McKinley is by far my favorite). I like when the author gives a typical, heard it a million times story a new spin, especially if that means that the main characters are given some agency or you get a previously unknown point of view. Now granted, Cinderella is not my favorite tale. And really, as far as retellings go, Cinderella has been tugged and stretched and melted d ...more
Blaire Hammond
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
END OF EVER AFTER BY E.L. TENENBAUM SPOILER FREE REVIEW.

*I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review.*

I just recently finished reading End Of Ever After and I have to say, straight off the bat, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was an interesting, exciting, fresh take on a fairytale retelling and I loved reading it. It was a fantastic new spin on the world, the characters and the story we all know and love, and I found myself struggling to put it down.

I gave this book a fou
Lauren
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Extremely well written and beautifully done, full of the substance missing in many retellings. Real women build sense of self amid many descriptions of finery, alongside flawed men both with and without redemption. I almost expected a few hotline numbers to be included at the back, bit don't want to say more for fear of spoilers.

There were only two real weak points in this book: the backstory of the faery godmother and the moral discrepancy with how Ella's marriage and Kiara's marriage played ou
Florentyna Kerkmeer
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
This book was such a refresing retelling of the well-known Cinderella story. It starts by telling us the story we already know, but in a way that is much more down to earth, without compromising on the magic. In this part, Cinderella makes some ominous comments about the future, hinting to something much darker. For me, this part was a bit too long without knowing where it was going. I would have preferred alternating chapters of the known story and Cinderella's present time. Sort of a fine line ...more
Nadia Vriendt
Apr 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Easy reading where CinderElla's "happily ever after" does not turn out to be so "happy" after all.
The beginning chapters are a quick review of the original fairytale, but told from the point of view of Ella herself, and with some alternative scenes here and there (which makes sense, as stories do get twisted around a lot when going from one person to the next).

There is also often an ominous foreboding interwoven, which makes you wonder what happened and anxious to read on. Perhaps a bit too anxi
Mary
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
There were parts I liked of this Cinderella retelling and parts that I did not. I liked the premise that after the "happy ending" there's more to the story. I was pleased that the author is trying to showcase a stronger woman but I think it missed the mark in that regard. Ella is vain and yet kind which can be a dangerous mix, she's insecure and yet has been strong enough to survive. And while she's supposed to be strong and not needing a man, a man was right there - almost from the beginning - ...more
Bri
Jan 03, 2021 rated it did not like it
What an absolutely horrendous retelling of Cinderella. The first third of the book was spent talking about the ENTIRE story, when, in my opinion, retellings should be...a retelling. Not the exact story in flashback fashion. And the rest of it was an awkward, nonsensical tale of a girl who didn’t know how to speak. I swear, every other line was “if I had only known then what I know now” or “at the time I didn’t see what was right in front of me”.

I get it, your fairy tale wasn’t you expected. Jus
Astrid Rudloff
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I voluntarily review an ARC.
Recieving this book I thought I'd get a Cinderella retelling where some characters are changed or roles reversed.
But this book tells the whole story from the childhood till the perfect conclusion years after the fairytale wedding. There are so many new facts noone told me before forming a bigger picture like mosaic tiles.
I liked the development of the characters and the including of many well known stars of other fairytales.
This book is fluently written, but the repea
Emma Mcdonald
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Different Kind of Happily Ever After

Tenenbaum takes the story of Cinderella beyond the fairy tale and into the life after Ella married her prince. Definitely a twist on the tale but one that encourages young girls to look to themselves to make something of their life instead of wishing someone else to do it for them. At the same time she shows how love can flourish when both people open themselves up to each other in honesty. It is a good pairing of reality tinged with hope. Lovely read.
Beth
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this retelling of Cinderella. It isn’t a Disney version of the story. I have never read a version where it is three different events when Cinderella and the Prince meet.

Although I had predicted parts of the plot very early own nothing was one hundred percent confirmed until the last chapter. I was kinda disappointed that I had put it together so quickly.

I know there are other books in the series, and I hope the author has the next main characters visit with Cinderella so we can
Melissa
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got this ARC for free to read and review.
This is a great fairy tale retelling of Cinderella. The story is about what happens after “happily ever after”. The characters are very fleshed out and Ella was a character I came to really care about. Without giving away the story, I have to say the ending was perfect. I am looking forward to reading the book I got a preview of at the end of this story.
Diana (DomesticGoddess)
Like most good things from my past, I cursed my imagination when I understood how it distorted the truth of palace life, but I am learning.

With such talk, it was a wonder I never saw the future coming. Then, everything was a dream, every word a mirror of my imagination. I never once stopped to think that perhaps it was all a little too perfect to be real.

Not a bad tale, but the above sentiment is repeated ad nauseum, ruining some of my reading pleasure.
Nicole Prado-Carr
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Much better than I dared hope. I love fairy tales and retellings are some of my favorite things to read. Cinderella is my favorite of all so I already had high hopes for this story.
Between the writing and the plot and character development I was enraptured from page one.
Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys fairytales and even those who don’t.
Allyssa
Mar 01, 2021 rated it liked it
There was so much foreshadowing in the beginning of the book that I kept waiting for something bad to happen at any moment.

I didn’t feel a real connection to the character and I think that was in part to the fact it was more of a reflection on the past than really living in the moment. It made it hard to enjoy the story as it went.
Natasha
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great retelling. I love the idea of the fact that no one ever did question the happy ever after of those wonderful fairy tales we all loved. I truly enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading the others in the series.
Kim Patterson
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
After Happily

Did they live happily ever after? This novel is a light read that asks the question and meanders nicely through unintentional twists and magic to find a possible answer. Are you ready to rule the lands of yore?
Stacey
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and have purchased the sequel.
Yvonne
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit different, but also overwrought and full of angst. I would have preferred to have some epilogue to provide more than just a hint of a happy ever after.

• Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Of Sea and Song (Daughters of Eville #3)
  • Of Glass and Glamour (Daughters of Eville #2)
  • Of Beast and Beauty (Daughters of Eville, #1)
  • Of Thorn and Thread (Daughters of Eville Book 4)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
  • Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Assassin's Creed, #1)
  • The Confectioner's Guild (The Confectioner Chronicles, #1)
  • Shadow Knights (Knights of the Realm, #2)
  • Hidden Knights (Knights of the Realm, #3)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • Princess of Mermaids (Fairy Tale Adventures, #3)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • Dawn's Promise (Silent Wings #1)
  • A Tale of Beauty and Beast: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • Enchantment (The Kingdom Chronicles, #5)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles #3)
  • Realm of Knights (Knights of the Realm, #1)
E. L. Tenenbaum is fairly certain a bookstore is really the happiest place on earth!
In addition to being an author, she produces and co-hosts the Oh My Word! Podcast. When not reading, or writing, she enjoys speaking at middle/high schools as a visiting author.

End of Ever After (5 books)
  • Lies of Golden Straw: A Rumplestilskin Retelling (End of Ever After, #2)
  • Beautiful To Me: A Little Mermaid Retelling (End of Ever After, Book #3)
  • Human Again: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling (End of Ever After, #4)
  • Heart of a Hunter: A Snow White Retelling (End of Ever After, #5)