Start by marking “Likely Stories” as Want to Read:
Likely Stories

Likely Stories

Published October 16th 2018 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about Likely Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Likely Stories

Chad
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Fours short stories cherrypicked from Fragile Things and Smoke and Mirrors illustrated by Mark Buckingham of Fables fame. The book is very dense at 80 pages with tiny panels. It probably could have used double the pages as each panel is filled with text. I can imagine the characters trying to talk to the reader as they are being crowded out by exposition blocks. The stories are connected by a framing sequence set in a bar with the patrons telling the stories. Three of the four stories deal with ...more
Sublimacia
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Tiež máte autorov, ktorí keď si prdnú medzi stránky, tak si to hneď utekáte kúpiť? Mojím je Neil Gaiman. Keď som zbadal v regáli tento komix a jeho meno, cítil som sa ako 15 ročný v striptíz bare. Srdce sa mi rozbušilo a z kútiku mi odkvapla slinka. Moju predstavivosť zaplnili vidiny rozkoše z čítania jeho fantazmagorických kreácií.
Tak ako som sa ja cítil ako 15 ročný na striptíze, tak aj tie príbehy sú ako by ich písal 15 ročný na striptíze. Je to Gaimanov jazyk, ale chýbajú pointy a zápletky,
Ian Robinson
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd probably have given this book 3.5 stars was the opportunity available. But I round up, not down, so it got 4. Good book. These are pre-existing stories, previously published in other works of Gaiman's short fiction, none of which I had read previously. In fact, this was my first Gaiman book, got it out of the library.

The artwork is fantastic, lovely, glossy and colourful. Rather wistful, really. The stories themselves are... ok. Well, good stories actually, very well imagined, but where they
Cale
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warning - this book is NSFW. All of the stories seem to at least feature Penthouse in some form, and there is a fair bit of nudity. The stories are interesting and well illustrated - Mark Buckingham has some fantastic work, especially in my favorite of the collection 'Looking for the Girl,' which traces the history of the UK through the decades by the appearance of Penthouse pets (one, in particular, multiple times). None of the stories are Gaiman's best, but they're all relatively interesting ( ...more
Jesse Richards
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Great stories that didn't translate well into the graphic novel format. Needed twice the number of pages or less text; or fewer shots of indistinguishable-white-men just sitting at a bar.
Rod Brown
There are a couple of intriguing ideas floated in here, but the cramped 16-panel page grid Buckingham has chosen to employ makes for a lot of nearly static images that can barely be seen between captions or balloons consuming half or more of the available space. I should just spend more time reading Neil Gaiman's original prose works instead of these ho-hum graphic novel adaptations Dark Horse is releasing.
Jamie Connolly
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
A couple of the stories were ok I guess. To be frank, I don’t know why I read the short Neil Gaiman books. Other than murder mysteries I haven’t really liked any of them. Haha. 3 stars.
Peter
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Patented Neil Gaiman quality stories and evocative art from Mark Buckingham make for a fine comic. If you ever read "How to Talk to Girls at Parties", you have a good idea the kinds of vignettes you will find inside. I think this would best be read on a rainy afternoon with the night coming on near the finish.
Pam Sartain
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A collection of creepy and surprising stories by Neil Gaiman! What more could you ask for?
Erin Cataldi
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I haven't been in love with all the Neil Gaiman graphic novels and this latest is no exception. The stories just aren't that riveting or exceptional. Likely Stories contains four short graphic stories; one on venereal disease, one on a weird raw meat eating neighbor, another on the world's most attractive nude model, and the last on a haunted playhouse. What connects the four stories; is a small out of the way after hours club, where stories are exchanged and people go to be seen or go to hide o ...more
Travis
What a disappointing batch of Neil Gaiman stories. Apparently these are adaptations of his earlier short stories, so that likely explains some of it. The content is often weird just for the sake of being weird. And the endings try way too hard to be ambiguous to the point they aren't even really endings.

As for the adaptation itself, the wonderful Mark Buckingham crams way too much into each page. The majority of pages are 16 panel grids with most of them filled by narration boxes. I have no idea
Jacquelyn
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All of these stories have appeared in other Gaiman collections (2 in Fragile things & 2 in Smoke and Mirrors) but you still can't go wrong with Gaiman (at least in my opinion). There was just something about seeing these brought to life instead of just imagining them in my head. I usually listen to the audio books for Gaiman's short stories so I was familiar with these stories but I didn't mind. Between the author's narration and these wonderful illustrations I feel like I got to see/hear th ...more
Greg Trosclair
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It almost doesn't matter what medium it is as long as it is Neil Gaiman producing the writing for it. Likely stories is yet another likely Neil Gaiman book. It was nice to see a book featuring Neil and Mark Buckingham(where is the last Miracleman arc). They collaborate well together. These are tales that are pretty far from Neil's young adult tales. These stories are completely the opposite of that and very adult oriented. Great stories, lovely art and a nice package. It's a good read.
Hollowspine
2.5 Nice set of stories, great illustrations, all a bit creepy in nature, linked by characters telling stories at a strange club. The first story, and the story of a model, especially, but all of the stories in this work indicate the intended audience of this work; men. Though the stories themselves are interesting, I'm still waiting for stories that aren't only stories about men, from a male perspective and only feeding the male gaze. I expected more from Gaiman.
Jennifer Balbin Rodríguez
Intiresante y algo inquietante historia. Aunque por una vez voy a ser imparcial, lo mejor de todo no es la brillantes del relato de Gaiman o la magnifica mano de Buckingham dando vida a sus palabras en imagenes, lo mejor de todo es que la dueña del pub Diógenes, Nora, es una servidora. Prestando orgullosa mi imagen para este pedacito de de la obra de dos grandes que vuelven a trabajar juntos.
Maura
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
I haven't read these as the original short stories; maybe they're much better that way but they didn't work for me as a graphic novel. There's a frame story about a bunch of people telling stories in a bar, so you'd think there would be a wide range of voices/subject matter, but the stories all hover around wanking, ageing, or both, and they all sound like they're being told by the same dude.

E.Y.E.-D
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the stories in this book. The artwork is good but nothing spectacular in my opinion, which doesn't mean much when it comes to art. The stories are great though. Especially the last one about the playhouse.
Andy Hickman
“LIKELY STORIES” by Neil Gaiman & ark Buckingham

Series of short stories, told in graphic novel style. Supposedly interconnected but I can’t see the link.
“She was my dream – and if you touch a dream it vanishes, like a soap bubble.
And anyway, I simply couldn’t touch her.””
orangerful
I think I should have read the award-winning short stories rather than these adaptations. I feel like the meat of the text, what made the short stories stand out, was lost in this graphic novel adaptations.
Jen
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
3.5 Graphic novel recreations of previously published stories. I was hoping for some new stories here, so a bit disappointed. Good art, though.
Angel
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun short read for a chilly October afternoon. The illustrations were great! The short stories were fun and entertaining.
Jon
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really well written, captures and draws you in. Content wise of the short stories it was just mediocre. Some creepy stories but on the whole it was just too sexual
Caroline Stewart
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm beginning to think more and more that Neil Gaiman no longer knows how to write graphic novels.
Natasha
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
i'm so heartbroken that i have to give anything by neil gaiman less than 4 stars but this was very lacking.
Eric
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun set of interconnected creepy stories made interesting by Mark Buckingham's incredible artwork.
Cristian Marrero