Start by marking “Simple Happy Parenting: The Secret of Less for Calmer Parents and Happier Kids” as Want to Read:
Simple Happy Parenting: The Secret of Less for Calmer Parents and Happier Kids

Simple Happy Parenting: The Secret of Less for Calmer Parents and Happier Kids

Free yourself from the pressures of ‘perfect parenthood’ and discover a simpler way for the whole family to thrive.

Denaye Barahona’s revolutionary approach to parenting, challenges us to tackle the most cluttered corner of our lives: childhood. Discover the benefits of a few, carefully curated toys; easy, nourishing meals around the family table; and simple (yet positi
Published June 4th 2019 by White Lion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Simple Happy Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simple Happy Parenting

Genevieve Trono
Jun 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
I was very interested in reading Simple Happy Parenting by Denaye Barahona. After parenting for almost 9 years, we have experienced the feeling of complete exhaustion, overwhelm and burnout and have worked for many years to find the right balance in our family. It is certainly always an ongoing process as parenting is always changing and evolving as our children grow, but I loved Barahona's tips on how to simplify and prioritize what's important.

I love that at the start the book she recognized
Melissa Borsey
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and all of the useful, simple tips and tricks that can help all families, big and small. I especially liked the section on helping with clutter and meals. I thank Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Katy
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
I'm not sure how I discovered the Simple Families blog and podcast anymore (probably while mindlessly scrolling Instagram), but the discovery in many ways transformed my parenting experience. This book reinforced so much of what I already felt about Denaye--she's #parentinggoals. I read this book slowly, savoring the advice and wisdom she shares. Somehow she always manages a tone of both compassion for the challenge of motherhood while also encouraging all of us to do better. Her work has meant ...more
Diane
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to interview Denaye for my podcast: The Minimalist Moms Podcast. She was just as lovely as she comes across in her book. The advice in Simple Happy Parenting is refreshing and is beneficial when implemented. I'm a big believer in the 'less-is-more approach' to parenting and this book doesn't disappoint. Also, it's just stunning to flip through - major props to the photographer Amy Drucker and illustrator Manon de Jong!
Jun 30, 2019 added it
In a crowded field of organization and self-help, Simple Happy Parenting stands out as being direct, authentic, and relatable. This is not the book to bully or shame families in some minimalist contest. It encourages families to take steps and model a slower, more intentional life. The ideas are all familiar, but Barahona shares strategies that can actually be implemented to control the clutter of toys or have your child eat the dinner you've prepared. As someone who wants to ascribe to a minima ...more
Katy
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. Very simple concepts for parenting that also apply to adults. This gave me inspiration and I caught glimpses of the type of parent I try and hope to be. I would definitely recommend this book and I would reread it.
Emily
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I really tried to like this book. I'm familiar with the author, her blog and courses. This book reads like an e-book that you would buy for $5. It contained no ground breaking information, was repetitive, and she includes sections from other mothers/bloggers. It feels totally unnecessary as a physical book. However, Ms. Barahona's encouraging and non judgmental tone was easy to read and it is a good summary of minimalism in a family setting for those not already familiar with the concept. But, i ...more
Ginger Hudock
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This beautiful and is filled with photos of the author and her family. There is not much new in this book if you have read other simple living books. It could be good for young parents who need a little inspiration.
Lindsey
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Loved this book. It's not so much a parenting book in the traditional sense (those usually focus on discipline) but more of a family lifestyle book. The book touches on lots of areas of family life where simplifying can lead to less stress for everyone: your home, toys, meal times, schedule, your mindset and expectations. I'm really drawn to simplicity in all areas of my life and as this is often a countercultural view, it's nice to feel validated and supported and that's what I found in this bo ...more
Anca
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I follow Denaye Barahona's blog for more than a year. So I was looking forward to reading her book!
I find the book itself written in a minimalist way, which I enjoyed. It gives essential information and enough resources to go deeper if desired.
The biggest take-away I took from this book is the 90/10 rule for toys. The only minus I could find is the blogish writing style used sometimes, as in all.the.stuff or all.the.things.
Thank you to Net Galley and Quarto Publishing Group for providing me with
Denise Matens
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you think simplifying is impossible with young kids, I'd encourage you to read this book. The encouraging tone of the author is welcoming and friendly, not preachy. I appreciate the emphasis she places on the well-being of parents as caregivers, role models and first teachers. I agree with the goals of teaching respect, emphasizing experiences and relationships over material things, overstimulation, and frenzy.
Amanda
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This is the perfect book for any parent wanting encouragement to make positive changes. For followers of Denaye, the material isn't necessarily new, but this book is a nice collection of Denaye's story and best pieces of wisdom.
Jillian
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Feel some parenting pressure lifted in the opening. I’m a follower of Denaye’s podcast and website. I found this book helpful, easy and light to read, and if it made me feel overwhelmed I was usually reassured not to have unrealistic standards by the end of a section. Helpful mindset shifts to let go of modern day parenting pressures.
Tara
Jun 23, 2019
Sandra
Jun 15, 2019
Denaye Barahona
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Vanessa L
Jun 27, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Denaye Barahona is the founder of Simple Families, a blog, podcast and online learning community dedicated to helping families live well with young children.

First and foremost, however, Denaye is a mother and wife. She and her husband started their family and adventure as parents in 2013 when they welcomed their son, and their daughter completed them in 2016. Denaye resides with her family in New