Start by marking “Summer of '69” as Want to Read:
Summer of '69

Summer of '69

The #1 New York Times Bestseller
Four siblings experience the drama, intrigue, and upheaval of
a summer when everything changed, in New York Times bestselling author Elin Hilderbrand's first historical novel

Welcome to the most tumultuous summer of the twentieth century. It's 1969, and for the Levin family, the times they are a-changing. Every year the children have looked
Audio CD
Published June 18th 2019 by Little, Brown & Company

To ask other readers questions about Summer of '69, please sign up.
Anita Johnson I found three errors. 1) The story is about the Nichols/Foley/Levin/Whalen clan, not just the Levins. 2) Kirby is not a nursing student. 3) Mary Jo…moreI found three errors. 1) The story is about the Nichols/Foley/Levin/Whalen clan, not just the Levins. 2) Kirby is not a nursing student. 3) Mary Jo was a friend of the sister of Kirby's friend Patty. Kirby only met Mary Jo once but was devastated by her death. (less)
Ashley Marudas Yes! The Target Edition includes exclusive content. There are also Signed Copies available via Barnes & Noble or Nantucket Books (but no extra…moreYes! The Target Edition includes exclusive content. There are also Signed Copies available via Barnes & Noble or Nantucket Books (but no extra content in those). (less)

Melissa
“People are people.”

More than anything else, it’s the people Elin Hilderbrand brings to life among her pages that have me chomping at the bit for her annual June (and now October!) releases. And while many authors contribute to this genre space, for me it is Hilderbrand’s smart and often relatable approach to the “beach read” that has become synonymous with summer. Her work eliciting an eager reader ready to jump on a ferry to Nantucket for a dose of scenery, local eats, and unparalleled people.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 full, family drama, sisterhood, entertaining, amazing journey to the end of sixties while listening Man on the moon and singing “those were the best days of my life” as like Bryan Adams sang stars!

You don’t have to be Marty McFly by driving a special car is invented by your Dr. Brown for time travelling. Elin Hilderbrand already takes us back to the end of sixties, a remarkable, memorable time for American and also human history: 1969

This is the time of Beatles’ Abbey Road album releasing,

Time
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
To say I’ve been ecstatic to read Elin Hilderbrand’s first historical fiction book is an understatement. Last summer, she wrote her first murder mystery, and this summer she brings us Summer of ‘69. ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Expect the stories the Nantucket stories we’ve known and loved from our beloved EH, but this time, with a historic backdrop.

The Levin family spends its summers on Nantucket, and everyone looks forward to it. They stay at their grandmother’s stately, historic home. But this year, things ar
Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction)
It's not officially summer for me until I've read an Elin Hilderbrand book by the pool or sitting on the beach so luckily for me, I was able to read this one Memorial Day weekend, poolside, with a fruity beverage in hand. Hilderbrand's first historical novel was everything that I've come to expect from the queen of the summer novel and more.

In classic Hilderbrand style, Summer of '69 revolves around the lives of several members of the Foley-Levin family and of course, Nantucket is the main sett
Erin
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle

Thanks to Netgalley and Little, Brown and Company for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

Elin Hilderbrand states that her twin brother has always encouraged her to explore the summer they were born in one of her novels. Summer of 69 is that novel and sweeps readers back to Nixon, Vietnam, Senator Ted Kennedy and the Chappaquiddick scandal, women's issues, Woodstock, racial equality, class differences, the Moon landing and summertime in Nantucket.

The Foley/Levin famil
Literary Soirée
INTOXICATING!
“Summer does something to the brain. It’s intoxicating. Everything shimmers." So says a character in Summer People, a previous novel by Hilderbrand, which captures the essence of her entire oeuvre.

ENGAGING BACKSTORY
I’ve devoured every book she’s written, so taken with her addictive stories set on Nantucket. Her own backstory is engaging, including how she came to the island, her education at the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, her world travels, her survival of breast cancer and a post-sur
Carrie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Summer of ’69 by Elin Hilderbrand is a historical fiction novel that follows the Levin family during the summer of 1969. Of course with the book focusing on the various family members in this family the point of view does change between them.

For years the Levin family has spent summers in Nantucket visiting their grandmother’s historic home. This year however the family is being pulled apart in their own directions. Tiger, the only son, has been drafted into the military and will be sent to the
Book of the Month
Why I love it
Siobhan Jones

We pick the books a few months in advance here at BOTM, so all the reading for June occurs sometime in mid-March. Maybe that was why I warmed to Summer of ‘69 so readily—this beachy, feel-good story with ample family drama and purple haze-era feels had me practically smelling the sunscreen. Then again, maybe I just liked this book so much because it was another satisfying winner from an author who always delivers the goods.

Elin Hilderbrand’s first historical novel plops
Tammy
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: release-2019
Summer reading at its best!! I enjoy reading her novels and this little historic charmer, her first, was absolutely amazing! ❤ ...more
Monika Sadowski
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t sure if I should give 3 or 4 stars. The book started good but then I got bored but then I wanted to know how it finished. I guess it’s just a light, summer reading :)
Zoe
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Relevant, vivid, and absorbing!

Summer of ’69 is a nostalgic, domestic tale that takes us back to the idyllic island of Nantucket during a year when Vietnam was still raging, and Apollo 11 was finally going to put men on the moon, and into the lives of the blended Foley-Levin family as they navigate a summer of revelations, change, and new additions.

The writing is expressive and polished. The characters are genuine, troubled, and sympathetic. And the spirited plot is a delightful mix of summer fu
Toni
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-2019

The year ‘Nineteen hundred sixty-nine,’ 1969, was a busy year for the United States of America; and as such, was no different for the combined families of Nichols, Foley, Levin and Whalen, all under the matriarchal umbrella of Exalta Nichols. Since Exalta was such a stickler for tradition the family prepares to pack up and move out to Nantucket for the summer, regardless that the 3rd Monday of June is Jessie’s 13th birthday, or that Kate is sick with worry about Tiger, her 19 year old son who wa
Shelby
It’s the summer of 1969 and the Levin family have big plans to vacation in Nantucket, like they have every year for decades.

Kate’s 19-year old son, Richard “Tiger” has just been shipped off to Vietnam. Kate is petrified by what could happen to her only son, worried she’ll never see him again. And due to this, Kate picks up a nasty drinking habit that threatens the sanctity of her marriage.

Kate’s youngest, Jessie, turns 13 on the day they head to Nantucket. Jessie knows this summer will be big—
Renee (itsbooktalk)
Well I’m an outlier again with this review. I've found that Elin Hilderbrand is a hit or miss author for me over the years. I've loved a few of her books...Barefoot, The Rumor, The Blue Bistro, and A Summer Affair but not loved many others as well. This one, unfortunately, falls into the latter category. ⠀⠀

The set up was enticing to start off. We hear about Tiger, favorite son of Kate and brother of Jessie (youngest), Kirby (middle) and Blair (oldest) who's been drafted to Vietnam. Kate is devas
Myrna
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful story from Elin Hilderbrand! With interesting characters, a great storyline, and historical events, you feel as though you’ve been transported back to ‘69. This is a great book to read by the pool but it does have more serious issues of politics, race, family, and secrets. Elin has a great connection to the summer of ‘69 that inspired the book.
Kate ☀️ Olson
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-reads
LOVED IT. My favorite Hilderbrand novel yet ❤ ...more
Laurene
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. A great beachy summer read.

"People are people."
NZLisaM
This was wonderful, and just what I felt like. Light-ish but delt with some serious issues and topics women not only faced in 1969, but in 2019 as well. Really need to catch up on writing reviews. Review pending!
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
2.5 STARS

Amid the war in Vietnam, the summer of 1969 brought the moon landing, Chappaquiddick and Woodstock. With a son Tiger fighting in Nam, college age Kirby working on Martha’s Vineyard, eldest daughter Blair pregnant with twins back in Boston, Kate only has thirteen-year-old Jessie with her at her mom’s Nantucket summer home.

SUMMER OF ‘69 isn’t one of my favorite Elin Hilderbrand novels. Her first historical fiction novel felt more modern than fifty years ago. Hilderbrand throws in an occas
Amy
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
It’s officially summer now that I’ve read the new EH book! Seriously, it truly doesn’t feel like summertime for me until I get my hands on her latest book and I did consider waiting to read this until my actual summer vacation, but who am I kidding, I have no willpower when it comes to her books. I’m so glad I didn’t make myself wait either because this was exactly the right book to get me into a summer vacation state of mind.

I was just a tiny bit apprehensive when I read the blurb of this and s
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
I have not read a book by Hilderbrand that I did not fall in love with. This was a great summer read and the characters were so real. I loved the way everyone's situations turned out. I recommend this 4 star read and I want to thank my best friend for sharing it with me. Book Of The Month books are so worth it. They never have a bad book.
Christina
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4.5 ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

In pure Elin Hilderbrand style, Summer of ‘69 brings a historical twist on your favorite Nantucket summer beach read. In her first venture in the historical fiction genre, Hilderbrand takes us back in time to the summer of the moon launch, the Chappaquiddick incident and Woodstock. The fashion, the food, the culture, the music, it’s all there. Using song titles from ‘69 as each chapter title, we are transported to a time when pregnant mommies smoked cigarettes and drank scotch to wa
Beth McCraw
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first by Elin Hilderbrand and it definitely won’t be my last!! I loved this so much❤ ...more
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Elin comes out with a new book, it's a must. Like a don't-even-read-the-synopsis no-brainer. Just as she delivered a multi-dimensional page turner with The Perfect Summer, Summer of '69 is just as much a treat- but with historical fiction at its core, which is a genre Elin hasn't presented before.

The story lines of several members of the Foley/Levin families intertwine as their lives during the summer of 1969 unfurl (or in some cases, unravel). There's 13-year-old Jessie, her mother Kate,
Donna Hines
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
I must note Little Brown and Company has recently auto approved me @NetGalley and I'm beyond ecstatic to read these wonderfully talented authors such as the one and only Elin Hilderbrand.
I'm a huge fan who enjoys her work for the obvious reasons as they never disappoint.
The Summer of '69 is no exception as it's chock full of characters, vivid action, the locations center upon Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard (both places rich in history and steeped in traditions) as well as the historical aspect
Dkbbookgirl
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great summer read
Takes you back!!!
Family story with a very eventful summer as the backdrop

Highly recommended
Debbie
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This new summer beach read by Elin Hilderbrand has the usual setting but with a historical backdrop. I enjoyed the titles of the chapters being songs from the era. The characters were fully developed with the problems and conflicts that depicted the era. The ending could have been a little longer to tie things up a little more but it was an enjoyable read. It is sure to be on the bestseller list. #netgalley #summerof’69
Ilene
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
✌🏻✌🏽✌🏿Quintessential Elin Hilderbrand summer book with a touch of a classic Judy Blume.

Not the main point, but one of my favorite parts of Hilderbrand’s novels are when she describes what the characters are eating, and the retro 1969 beach picnic descriptions were some of my favorite fun details 😋

It’s not the most poignant novel written about this time period, nor is it the best book in the author’s prolific collection, but if you enjoy escaping to Elin Hilderbrand’s Nantucket you’ll like her
Krystal Hicks
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual I loved this new novel by Elin Hildebrand. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was I felt the ending needed more. I felt like it came to a sudden halt. But other than that I loved it. Thank you to Little Brown and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Exalta is the matriarch of the Foley family and every summer the family stays at their historic home on the beautiful island of Nantucket. This year, Kate Levin, Exalta's daughter, is staying there with her youngest daughter, Jessie, but Kate is having a hard time coping. She should be happy to be on Nantucket for the summer, but there's a dark cloud following her everywhere she goes and that dark cloud is the Vietnam War. Kate's only son, Tiger, has been drafted and to cope with the horrors of ...more
Fiction Fanatics: July 2019 - Summer of '69 2 17 Jul 12, 2019 08:39PM
Play Book Tag: Summer of '69 - Elin Hilderbrand - 3 stars 1 9 Jul 12, 2019 08:29AM
Beach Reads 1 3 Jun 20, 2019 10:48AM
Book of The Month: Summer of 69 1 16 May 31, 2019 11:46AM

• Firefly: Generations
  • Firefly: The Magnificent Nine
  • Daddiopath
  • Someone Knows
  • Vampires Never Get Old
  • The Kingdom
  • The Southern Side of Paradise (Peachtree Bluff #3)
  • Muse
  • The Friends We Keep
  • The Chelsea Girls
  • The Life Below (The Final Six, #2)
  • 47 Ronin
  • Under Currents
  • Meet Me in Monaco
  • You Must Not Miss
  • Arrow of Death (The Rise and Fall #1)
  • A Cathedral of Myth and Bone
  • Woman 99
Elin Hilderbrand lives on Nantucket with her husband and their three young children. She grew up in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, and traveled extensively before settling on Nantucket, which has been the setting for her five previous novels. Hilderbrand is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the graduate fiction workshop at the University of Iowa.

Facebook.com/ElinHilderbrand

Pinterest.com/Elin
“The line that finally makes Jessie burst into sobs is Despite everything, I believe all people are good at heart.” 0 likes
“Sadness comes long after all of the other, more difficult and destructive emotions have passed” 0 likes