Start by marking “Linus The Little Yellow Pencil” as Want to Read:
Linus The Little Yellow Pencil

Linus The Little Yellow Pencil

Linus and his eraser, Ernie, don't always see eye to eye. But with the family art show drawing near, these two will have to sharpen their collaboration to make something neither one could do on their own!
This ode to art by the illustrator of Spoon and Chopsticks points out the power of sharing the creative process and sticking with it.
Published June 4th 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Linus The Little Yellow Pencil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Linus The Little Yellow Pencil

Start your review of Linus The Little Yellow Pencil
La Coccinelle
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a rather strange little story, but I kind of like it. Here we have a pencil named Linus. He likes to draw. Unfortunately, his eraser, Ernie, has a bit of an attitude problem. He's always undermining Linus's confidence and erasing his work because it's not good enough. Dejected, Linus seeks a place to be alone, and there he meets someone who gives him some sage advice.

The message here is obviously about cooperation and believing in yourself. The one thing I'm not really sold on is how
Abigail
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Would-Be Artists in Need of a Little Encouragement
Linus the little yellow pencil and his eraser Ernie find themselves in conflict in this lighthearted picture-book examination of the artistic process. Everything Linus draws, Ernie erases. How will they ever create something for the family art show?! Then Linus meets a mysterious creature called Smudge, and discovers that he and Ernie can work together to create magical images full of shadow and depth...

Although I have read any number of picture-books illustrated by Scott Magoon, Linus the
Rod Brown
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
There is a sort of weird conjoined twins thing going on here, with Linus actually being the pencil tip and the other end of him being a contrary and mean eraser named Ernie. They fight a lot. Then Linus enters a pencil sharpener and things get downright bizarre and eerie. The more I think about this book, the more creeped out I get. Brr.
Ashlee
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I was a bit let down by this story. I love the illustrations but the story was a bit lackluster in my opinion. I also think the story would have been better if the text had been offset with a box of some sort around it so it jumped off the pages more. With the pencil illustrations sometimes it was a bit hard to find the next piece of text to read.
Peacegal
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Creativity and self-confidence are themes of LINUS THE LITTLE YELLOW PENCIL. The illustrations are cute and creative, and there's a nice theme of reassuring kids who may not be comfortable in their own abilities to draw and create art.

(I wonder if I was the only one who thought Linus was going to commit suicide when he headed into the pencil sharpener?!)
Kifflie
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Hmmmm....I think this book should have included Ernie in the title, because Ernie is a part of Linus, after all....even if he is Linus's more critical side.

This book is about creative expression and (I guess) learning how to be self-critical and how to edit your work. The artwork is very nice, but I think kids will get lost with the text.

And who wants to meet a smudge-monster guru inside a pencil sharpener? That has to be one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in a kid's book.
Rachel
Things I love about this picture book:

1. It's a great showcase to help children learn about emotions
2. The art is gorgeouuuus.
3. It took a turn I did not expect. I love a surprise twist!

I will very much be recommending this book to library patrons, friends and anyone who will stop and listen to me.
Anthony
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Linus the little yellow pencil wants to enter the family art show for the first time, but Ernie, Linus's eraser was Linus's hardest critic. Nothing Linus drew seemed to please Ernie. It was not until Linus received words of encouragement from Smudge, that Linus was able to persuade Ernie to work with him, and not against him. The results were award winning.
B
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: miss-becky-s
Great themes about working together and family
Taking a chance
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Linus the pencil is inspired to draw for the family art show. But Ernie, his eraser, is not so sure.

Then Smudge appears and shares his thoughts with Linus, and the little pencil is reenergized and ready to start again.

A fun story for kids, full of clever word play, and bold and colorful art.
Karen Arendt
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect! I cannot wait to share this with the art teacher!
Kathy Iwanicki
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this book! It was completely adorable and perfect for children of any ages. The puns in the book appealed to my third graders. The illustrations were out of this world. Highly recommend it!
Amanda
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought it would be so much more, but the story was a bit tangled and then there was one horrible part where I thought that the pencil was committing suicide (!); thankfully things turned out well. Just the relationship with the eraser and the pencil was so disjointed and dark for most of the story and didn't have a complete feeling of resolution to it.
Terri
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of three books that Chapter and Verse Book Club is looking at as a possible Caldecott Medal contender for 2020! (This is my #3 choice!)

Linus, a little yellow pencil wants to enter a family art show, where the winning piece of art will be the piece that shows the most part. Linus begins drawing with enthusiasm, until Ernie, the eraser on the other end of the pencil begins erasing his lines because they are not good enough. Linus is about to give up, that is until he meets Smudge (the
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Linus the Little Yellow Pencil by Scott Magoon . PICTURE BOOK. Disney, 2019. $17.00. 9781368006279
BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) – ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Linus is a pencil, and Ernie is his eraser. They are going to enter an art contest, but Ernie is concerned that Linus’s art might embarrass them. He starts to erase everything that Linus draws, causing the once happy artist to question his own abilities. Linus seeks the help of a sage in a cave (pencil shavings in the dark pencil sharpener).
Margie
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Striving to make a dream come true takes dedication, determination, desire and a great deal of practice. Given the chance to exhibit the results of your endeavors is exciting. When other members of your family with the same interests are a part of the event, your eagerness is magnified.

You would think that an individual close to you (really close to you), would be supportive. In fact, you should be able to count on them as your most ardent cheerleader. Linus The Little Yellow Pencil (Disney
Becky B
Linus is eager to enter the upcoming Art Show. But Ernie, his eraser, keeps telling him what he's drawing isn't good enough and erasing it. Linus becomes more and more discouraged by Ernie's criticism, and Ernie eventually starts to feel bad for making Linus doubt himself so much. Can they come up with anything they are both happy with or should they just give up on art?

As a perfectionist, this book really resonates with me. And I know many students it will speak to too. Whether your critic is
Carol  Vanhook
Sometimes, working with others can be tough. Personalities clash. So, it is with a pencil and an eraser. The eraser just doesn't like anything that its pencil draws. The pencil gets so frustrated and wants to work alone. Along comes a third party, a very wise voice, with good advice. The pencil listened and began to act and try new ideas. The eraser agreed. Together, they became highly creative and productive.

Children can see, through this story, how it is to address conflict, work together,
Abby Johnson
When Linus the little yellow pencil enters the family art show for the first time, he has a lot of self-doubt, spurred on by Ernie the eraser who thinks nothing Linus does is good enough. They fight each other to the point that neither of them wants to be in the art show anymore, until Linus gets some advice to stop listening to negativity and just draw. Once both Linus and Ernie lighten up, they learn to work together to create art with the most heart of all because they both took part in ...more
Linus and Ernie are unhappy with their work for the family art show. They seem to be in the way, Ernie erases everything Linus sketches, and their work pales in comparison.

Linus wanders into a dark cave (a pencil sharpener) and meets tired old shreds that really can't draw anymore. He emerges sharper than ever and finds a way to work WITH Ernie, creating a new art style that wows everyone.

Fun to look at all the art and art supplies in the pictures.

Dedicated to Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Beverly
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This darling story is about a pencil, Linus, that enters an art contest, but the eraser at the other end of Linus keeps erasing all his efforts. Linus is a bit disheartened, but the eraser finally decides to work with Linus instead of against him, and they create some amazing collage art using drawings on post-it notes. There are no people in this book, only art supplies like crayons, paintbrushes, pens, scissors, etc., all of which are chock full of personality, especially Linus and his eraser.
Clarissa
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So funny and charming and clever. Linus the little yellow pencil wants to enter the art contest, but Ernie his eraser doesn't like anything Linus draws, so he erases it all. Finally Linus gives up and enters a cave where the pencil shavings give him the collected wisdom of all the pencils that used the pencil sharpener. He says it is too late for him to draw, but counsels Linus to keep drawing.

This book is funny, and also about being true to yourself as an artist.
Diane
Linus wants to enter the art contest, but Ernie the Eraser (which is attached to Linus) doesn't think Linus is good enough. Ernie disparages Linus at every turn, draining Linus of his confidence, until he is ready to give up. Then Linus meets Smudge (a pile of pencil shavings inside the pencil sharpener) who encourages Linus to "find your path by drawing it."

A message that most younger students can benefit from.
Smschade
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an entertaining and charming story about a pencil (Linus) and his eraser (Ernie). Linus is creative and joyful in drawing and Ernie is unsupportive and erases all his work. With the art contest right around the corner, Linus will have to find a way to work with Ernie if he wants to submit an entry. It's a story about self-confidence and problem solving. I especially loved the puns and the illustrations that brought the words to life.
Erin
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This is a sweet children’s book from one of our favorite illustrators and authors. Linus the little yellow pencil has lost confidence in his ability to draw, and Ernie the eraser is being hard on him. But, they learn to work together, and through their collaboration they create masterpieces they’re both proud of.
Sandy Brehl
Scott Magoon's expressive and nearly-magical illustration brings Linus the Little Yellow Pencil to life, and allows the contrary eraser to escalate the tension and frustration of a naysayer you can't escape. There are plenty of ways to enjoy this book and then use it in writing lessons and in life lessons. Linus is really a memorable character.
Mike
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fun, entertaining and educational book for kids of all ages, especially those learning about or how to deal with their own emotions. The illustration techniques used are flawless and pull you right into the story. 5 STARS!!!!!

I highly recommend this book.
Laura Terranova
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This sweet picture book teaches the valuable lessons of believing in yourself and working as part of a team. The illustrations are creative and engaging on every page. Everyone in our family loves this book! A great one to add to your library!
Mary Lee
Ernie the eraser is Linus the pencil's biggest critic. Nothing is ever good enough. Linus receives wisdom from the Smudge inside the pencil sharpener and when he and Ernie collaborate, they make the best art ever.
Bethe
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bookaday #29. Fabulous story about not doubting yourself and working together. Love the puns and the cave! Be sure to check out the case cover art and end pages and the background of the cover. Definitely gonna recommend this to the art teacher!
« previous 1 3 next »

• High Five
  • How to Read a Book
  • The Book Hog

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »