Start by marking “Blood of Empire” as Want to Read:
Blood of Empire

Blood of Empire

(Gods of Blood and Powder #3)

As the final battle approaches a sellsword, a spy, and a general must find unlikely and dangerous allies in order to turn the tides of war in this epic fantasy tale of magic and gunpowder by acclaimed author Brian McClellan.

The Dynize have unlocked the Landfall Godstone, and Michel Bravis is tasked with returning to Greenfire Depths to do whatever he can to prevent them fr
Published December 3rd 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Blood of Empire, please sign up.
Jeremy Guebert Short answer: the narrator got cancer, and they're letting him recover from chemo to do it rather than looking for a new narrator.

Author's website has…more

Author's website has more details: https://www.brianmcclellan.com/blog/b...(less)

Start your review of Blood of Empire
Brian McClellan
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I mean, *I* certainly liked it.
Petrik
ARC provided by the publisher—Orbit—in exchange for an honest review.

3.5/5 stars

Six years after the first publication of Promise of Blood, it’s time to say goodbye to the Powder Mage universe.

Blood of Empire is the third and last book in the Gods of Blood and Powder trilogy. McClellan has also said that this will be the final novel in the Powder Mage universe, and there’s a chance there won’t be any new full-novel in this universe, at least not for years because McClellan has a new series—Glass
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
4.5 Stars

I’m sad it’s over. I think I’m one of the few that loved this trilogy better than the first one. I actually traded my physical copies of the first trilogy and kept it on kindle. But this trilogy.. I absolutely loved it! Ben and Vlora and Ka-poel and of course, Celine and Taniel. I mean I loved Michel and Ichtracia too but they weren’t my favs like the others.

For the love of God, I rambled on there a bit.

ANYWAY, I loved the book. I feel good with the ending. I’m going to miss the chara
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Mini Review: [4.5/5 stars] You know those fantasy authors who are so good, you can relax into their writing and just enjoy? That’s McClellan. I’ve been a book reviewer for almost a decade, and it’s difficult sometimes to turn off my critical eye. But every once in a while, a series comes along where I can just sit back and appreciate the journey without all the constant evaluation. These are the kinds of stories that give me fire as a reviewer – the ones that end up on my favorites lists to be r ...more
Jody
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
"One of the greatest dangers a soldier could face was the feeling of his own invincibility."

Blood of Empire is Brian McClellan's third and final novel in the Gods of Blood and Powder trilogy. Let me begin by saying I really enjoyed the characters in this series. The three main POV's; Vlora Flint, Mad Ben Styke, and Michel Brevis were some of the best written characters I have come across in some time. Ben Styke was the highlight of these books for me. His personality, commanding page
Audrey
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blood of empire isn’t only the end of the god of blood and powder trilogy but it puts an end of an era. It’s supposed to be the last book related to the powdermages world and I have to say more than anything it’s really hard to say farewell to my beloved saga.
With the second trilogy we can’t help to notice than Brian McClellan had increase for the better his writing and managed to improve with this second round.
Vlora Flint , for better or for worse, I found it was a good idea to bring back a cha
Terence
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ka-Sedial and the Dynize Empire are on the cusp of creating a new god. Vlora, Ben Styke, Michel Bravis, and many others go to extremes to prevent that from happening.

Blood of Empire was largely what I expected from the conclusion of the Gods of Blood and Power series. Lots of intrigue and battles. I was hoping to see if Brian McClellan had something more or truly unexpected in store for this book, but he unfortunately didn't. Blood of Empire is the first book in the Powder Mage universe that I
Maja Ingrid
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Should maybe have reread Sins ans Wrath because I thought I remembered more than I actually did, and spent some time being confused while reading this one. But the books are bit long and I was also too impatient for rereads.

Apart from that, I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did McClellans previous works. Not sure if I liked the ending. It felt rushed and I don't know how I feel about certain outcomes from it.

Would still recommend this series, and of course the Powder Mage trilogy. Since it w
Silvana
Whew, what a ride.

Brian McClellan is one of my favorite military flintlock fantasy writers. His Powder Mage trilogy has one of the best magic systems I ever read while his characters were compelling and memorable.

Three years ago I was pleasantly surprised when he announced a new trilogy set in the same world, featuring one of the characters that I felt was underused, misunderstood and even marginalized in the first trilogy, Vlora Flint. There are of course two other main POV characters, a sold
Andy
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final part of the trilogy & been looking forward to getting to this one for a while.

We’re quickly around the POV’s in the first few chapters acquainting this reader with the main characters & the thread of the story (recapped) as we pick up from where the last book ended which is as well for it’s been nearly a year since I read the prior in the trilogy & I would have struggled to recollect it all.

All are alive & well OR at least recovering from their battles as we follow the paths of Taniel/
Wick Welker
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
A perfectly paced and fun conclusion to the Gods of Blood and Powder trilogy.

McClellan can really do no wrong. I have read both of his flintlock fantasy series and this guy really knows how to spin a story. His greatest strength is pacing. There is something that comes so effortless about reading his books, even more so with his polished second series. The world building is really excellent. The nations, their history and lore, along their differing cultures really flesh out this fantasy world.
Andreas
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the majority of this book it didn't feel like the last book of the trilogy. There was so much happening that needed to be addressed and I couldn't see how it would be possible to do that in just one book. And as a result when the ending came it felt a bit rushed. With that being said I still enjoyed the book. And I obviously still love the whole Powder Mage universe. I hope there will be more Powder Mage stories at some point. I'm going to miss this world.

4.5/5 stars
Ned Lud
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
And yet, another great series that ends horrifically. Disappointed is a gross understatement.
Andrew Jaden
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 3.75*
Book 2: 3.75*
Book 3: 4.0*

I good series that got better as it went along but not as good as the first series in general. I felt like I could have predicted the series of events to follow about three-quarters of the way through the first book for the entire series. Still I enjoyed it.
Mark Harrison
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvellous end to a superb series as the God War begins and ends with tragedy, huge set piece battles, spectacular magic, strange lands and a dash of savagery. Breakneck pacing, wonderful characters and just damned sorry I am now leaving the Powder Mages behind.
Yuri
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-need
In 2020 I’m going to be a bit more critical with 5 star ratings. I pick most of the books I read very carefully though, so there’s still bound to be a lot of 5 star ratings.

I really liked this book, but it just was a bit too tame for a Powder Mage book.
Mark
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent ending, riveting right till the end, highly recommended to everyone on Goodreads who love fantasy.
Hank
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply amazing trilogy to go along with the original trilogy. This wasn't as epic an ending as the Autumn Republic but very satisfying and as with most good books, left you happy but wanting a little more.

These books started with the stories of Michel, Vlora and Ben and ended the same way and I won't tell you if any or all three survived. There was the familiar world with its Powder Mages, Privileged and Bone Eyes stuffed into many battles along with a few surprises. Characters appeared here and
Flying Monkey
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
4 Stars!!!

A solid finish to the Gods of Blood and Powder Series. I'm going to miss all the characters I've grown to love. Looking forward to Brian McClellan's upcoming Glass Immortals series.
Olga
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5* I have a soft spot for these characters and this story but it really was the weakest book in the trilogy. It dragged a lot on the politics and battle planning for them to end happening off screen. The ending was quite anticlimactic and convenient, everything wrapping up too nicely. McClellan still made me love and care for these characters and his writing made it easy for me to fall back into the story rather quickly. But I can't help to be a bit disappointed.
Linda
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Characters pick up where we left them. Flora the general a worthy heir to Tamas. Michel the spy a great character. I could not put it down and was refreshed to be in the company of the mad Lancer Ben Styke. Many interesting journeys (ie Taniel's, Delia's, Linnet's, Ibana's, General E---) were not wholly recorded in the book. Concludes in a satisfying way. I pray for a battle with the Nine.
Nadine
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blood of Empire is the third and final novel in the Gods of Blood and Powder trilogy, which is a spinoff of McClellan’s Powder Mage series. I’ve never read the Powder Mage series, so I can say with confidence you do not need to read that series to understand and love the story and characters McClellan presents to reader in Gods of Blood and Powder.

What I enjoyed the most about this trilogy, especially with Blood of Empire, is the balance between the military fantasy elements and magic. I’m not u
Moah
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book, great series! Bit of a rushed ending.
Skylar Phelps
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

Watching an author create his borderless fictional playground is a reader’s ultimate pleasure. When it comes to epic fantasy novels, there are a couple of authors who achieve this and effortlessly expand their universe with incredible expertise, as they not only explore different zones, characters, and stories, but also tackle different periods in time and generations in the past, present, and future. This often leads readers to appreciate the r
Ojo
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One can't help but feel wistful at the end of this series, such a thrilling journey it has been.

It has been a rich, deeply satisfying journey of near-death scenarios with half crazed, exasperating, and sometimes near-invincible characters who had to prove their worth again and again in the face of overwhelming odds.

The characters enjoyed the dizzying heights of triumph, often side by side with the despairing depths of defeat. Of course, the characters are unique, one of the standouts of this top
Yadjna
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks you. Thank you for that wonderful story. The ends was beyond my expectations and I hope... I really hope I can come back to this world... whether it's years later or hundreds of years after this epic story...
It ends up in my favorite books to recommend without hesitation.
I'm not going to name them all, but each character has had their moment of glory, doubts, ups and downs that they overcame to try to have a better future.
Anyway, thanks again M. Brian McClellan.
Nikhil Iyengar
A fitting final instalment to the second trilogy of powder mages and gods.

The war against the Dynize Empire continues to rage as the Palo, Adrans, and Fatrastans defend the continent and attempt to secure the godstones. The field of battle and storyline itself are split into various fronts, with Styke's plot in the capital of the Dynize and Michel's and Vlora's on Fatrasta.

Styke continues to be badass, Vlora continues to be a capable general and gets away with betraying her lover, and Michel c
Cameron Johnston
A truly fantastic end to a superb series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Blood of Empire [Dec 3, 2019] 31 86 Dec 06, 2019 06:48AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Blood of Empire [Dec 3, 2019] 4 26 Dec 02, 2019 05:28AM

• The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • The Black Song (Raven's Blade, #2)
  • City of Stone and Silence (The Wells of Sorcery, #2)
  • Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
  • A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness #1)
  • The Grey Bastards (The Lot Lands, #1)
  • Ashes of the Sun (Burningblade & Silvereye, #1)
  • Tower Lord (Raven's Shadow, #2)
  • Shorefall (Founders, #2)
  • Retribution (Galaxy's Edge, #9)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)
Brian McClellan is an American epic fantasy author from Cleveland, Ohio. He is known for his acclaimed Powder Mage Universe and essays on the life and business of being a writer.

Brian now lives on the side of a mountain in Utah with his wife, Michele, where he writes books and nurses a crippling video game addiction.

Brian's novels include the Powder Mage Trilogy (Promise of Blood, The Crimson Camp

Gods of Blood and Powder (3 books)
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
  • Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)

Articles featuring this book

If you need a break from the real world, this year's upcoming science fiction and fantasy novels guarantee a great escape. We've got...