Start by marking “Homerooms and Hall Passes” as Want to Read:
Homerooms and Hall Passes

Homerooms and Hall Passes

(Homerooms and Hall Passes #1)

In the mystical realm of Bríandalör, every day the brave and the bold delve into hidden temples or forgotten dungeons, battling vile monsters and evil wizards to loot their treasure hoards for sweet, sweet magic items.

But in their free time, our heroes—Thromdurr the mighty barbarian, Devis the shifty thief, Vela the noble paladin, Sorrowshade the Gloom Elf assassin, and
Published October 8th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Homerooms and Hall Passes, please sign up.
Mikyla Meyer No, you should be fine. Knowledge of the game is not important to the plot, it just makes the references more amusing.

Start your review of Homerooms and Hall Passes
Brandon Forsyth
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Middle school is truly brutal,” said Sorrowshade, “and I say this as someone whose entire family was eaten by minotaurs.”

So, so charming. A clever premise and a squad of likeable characters have me hoping this is the beginning of a series. This is perfect for the young (and not-so-young) nerd on your list.
The Bookish Austin
Oh I giggled so much throughout this novel.
Elizabeth Moraff
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a totally different kind of YA fiction than what I usually read, and I’m glad to have read it! Tightly plotted, clever, hilarious, and relatable. Tongue-in-cheek from beginning to end in a way that had me groaning over my own middle school memories and laughing at the tropes of the fantasy genre. O’Donell has written a book that groups of friends, parents and kids, can all enjoy.
Ms. Yingling
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Albiorix is a young Medieval wizard from the mystical realm of Bríandalör who is Hall Master for the role playing game Homerooms and Hall Passes. He and his friends (Thromdurr, a barbarian; Sorrowshade, a gloom elf; Vela, a paladin; and Devis, a thief) meet at a local pub in between their real life adventures (thwarting evil orcs, rescuing jewels, etc.) to run their newest campaign, The Semester of Stultification. Set in J.A. Dewar Middle School, it involves each of
Amber
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from BookCon 2019 and Balzer + Bray in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

This is definitely not the type of book I would normally pick up for myself. Even as this ARC has been sneaking closer and closer to the top of my TBR, I’ve found myself dreading it. It’s just so… solidly… not something I would have chosen, based on the cover and the description?

But I gotta be honest, y’all.
Mikyla Meyer
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
3 stars not because it was bad, but because (as Goodreads says) I liked it.
Let me start by saying I love DnD (although the oldest edition I've played is 3.5 and this is obviously referencing older editions) and it's great to see books for kids about this increasingly popular hobby.
It has great characters, fun premise. Just... I don't know. If what is written on their character sheet re: backstory, names, etc. was so important then it doesn't make sense they didn't also get their characters
Joe Kessler
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This middle-grade adventure story is lightweight but pretty fun, tracking a band of thirteen-year-old heroes who get magically trapped in the setting of their favorite tabletop roleplaying game, which happens to resemble a middle school of our reality. I have some issues with the worldbuilding that keep me from embracing the novel wholeheartedly -- like how generic the characters' home realm is, or how the text is inconsistent on whether the players have access to local knowledge like computer ...more
Scottie Draughon
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re a kid who likes Dungeons and Dragons or a parent who wants to get your kids into Dungeons and Dragons, this book is perfect. I, personally, am an adult who likes Dungeons and Dragons, and this book was marvelous.

Our five adventurers are, in fact, adventurers from a land where fantasy and quests are the norm. After a brush with a cursed object, they are thrust into a world they only know from their Homerooms and Hall Passes game books.

Suburbia.

Welcome to D&D in reverse.

Now the
April
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This book was funny and if you even have a passing interest in D&D, you’ll love concept. Heroes use to extraordinary quests and challenges, dumped into a utterly normal suburban middle school. Hilarious antics and misunderstandings ensue.
The reason I gave it only 3 stars is because I thought the book was an okay read for me. It made me smile at some of the funny antics and I enjoyed it enough to read the whole thing. But I’
Jeff Beesler
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the Most Unique YA Fantasy novels out there!

I'm usually not a Dungeons and Dragons player, but there's no denying the spirit of the game lies inside this book. The author takes a lot of risks throughout the story, all of which pay off in the end. My favorite part is the chapter introductions, particularly the last two chapters. Adventure and humor team up well in Homerooms and Hall Passes. These characters I hope to read again soon someday.
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I saw a review for this one on Facebook so I ordered a copy. I don't play D&D (never have) but I have many friends who do and many friends who did in high school and college. I get the gist of it.

I read parts of it out loud to a gamer friend and he laughed. He wants to borrow it next. He said that if he likes it, he'll get a copy to his sister who is raising his nephews to be gamers.

Our school has recently begun a D&D club; I'm probably going to order a copy for the club sponsor.
Chelsey
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute and fun middle-grade read that plays on the fantasy tropes of most of your favorite tabletop RPGs. The 5 characters are adorable, and watching them try to survive life in middle school is genuinely amusing. I don't know how many middle-grade readers play or understand D&D rules, but for any who do, they are definitely going to enjoy this one.
Stephanie Tevebaugh
Okay this book was great. If you know anything about fantasy roll playing games like Dungeons and Dragons, then you will love this book. It made me laugh so many times. I have a number of D&D fans in my family and I cannot wait until some of them read this book. Tom O’Donnell did a great job with the wit and language in this book. I’ll definitely recommend.
Eric
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Really enjoyed this one. Already bought a copy for my school's library. It's a very delightful read. I think anyone familiar with D&D (regardless of age) would be able to really enjoy it, but I also think it'd be fine if one had never played any RPGs.
Katherine
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
You would think after dealing with evil warlocks, hordes of goblins, and poisonous traps, middle school would be a breeze. But when this plucky band of adventurers gets transported to the world of Homerooms & Hall Passes (where failing a class or getting expelled means it’s Game Over) Sanger follows their every footstep. This book is fantastically funny & had me at the edge of my seat!
Laura Johnson
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I didn't think I would like this book, but once I started I found it funny and interesting. This is a good middle grade read if you enjoy board games or Dungeons and Dragons. It had a lot of humor and was well written.

**Won from a giveaway on Goodreads***
Charlotte
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, rc19
Actually three and a half stars.... really clever and amusing conceit spread a bit too thin for a three hundred plus page book....with not quite enough emotional heart (though there was some). But enjoyable.
Lori Maxey
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 11 year old grandson read this book. His favorite part of the book was that it encouraged his creative thinking. Not his all time favorite book, but he is a big fan of graphic novels.
Namrata
BY TOM O’DONNELL???!!! I am dying because all the books by my favorite authors are coming out. Can’t wait to laugh so hard while reading this!!! :)
Paige Soule
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun, funny, clever, witty read. Can't wait for my nephews and son to get their hands on this one.
Chris
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The most fun I have had in a read in such a long time!! Highly recommend if you do any fantasy gaming!!
Danielle Benich
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this says it all on the cover, "You can't help falling in love with this hilarious upside-down take on Dungeons & Dragons. I read; I cheered; I laughed out loud."--Gordon Korman
April Montgomery
Laughed my ass off!

As excellent conceptualization of what might happen if a fantasy conflict intruded on our modern (2018, atm) reality. I totally laughed my ass off!
Lucy
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good! It’s action packed and full of funny jokes. The four adventurers actually live in Brandalor, but they get pulled into their favorite game, Homerooms & Hallpasses because of an ancient curse. This book may seem like it has a lot of realistic fiction, especially because of the blurb, but is actually FULL of fantasy, and not jus in the realm of Brandalor...
Rachael Bookfairs
What happens when a team of D&D style adventurers get trapped inside their favorite RPG game called Homerooms & Hall Passes where they each act out a character from a "typical" 7th Grade - can that Palladin really succeed as the over-achiever & is the teams wizard now the class nerd? This silly & fun story will enchant D&D fans as well as other readers.
Keren
Blakely Smith
Nov 23, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Okay Witch
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • The Breakaways
  • The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future
  • Finding Christmas
  • Cog
  • Angel Mage
  • Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • All the Impossible Things
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)
  • Grimoire Noir
  • Dear Haiti, Love Alaine
Tom O'Donnell has written for The New Yorker, McSweeney’s, and several TV shows. Tom lives with his wife and kids in Brooklyn, NY.

Homerooms and Hall Passes (2 books)
  • Heroes Level Up (Homerooms and Hall Passes #2)