Start by marking “I Hope You Get This Message” as Want to Read:
I Hope You Get This Message

I Hope You Get This Message

Seven days. Seven days. The Earth might end in seven days.

When news stations start reporting that Earth has been contacted by a planet named Alma, the world is abuzz with rumors that the alien entity is giving mankind only few days to live before they hit the kill switch on civilization.

For high school truant Jesse Hewitt, though, nothing has ever felt permanent. Not the g
Published October 22nd 2019 by Quill Tree Books

To ask other readers questions about I Hope You Get This Message, please sign up.
Kate
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of I Hope You Get This Message
chai ♡
[rips your door off of the hinges] DID SOMEONE MENTION GAY SCI-FI?
Farah Rishi
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
SHRUGS. I dunno, I mean, it IS a book I worked pretty hard on, so I will shamelessly give Past Farah five stars. You did good, kid. You tried your best. And that's enough in my (proverbial) book.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
One of the two books in the Owlcrate October box! Click on GOODIES LINK to see the goodies!

GOODIES LINK

I thought this book was good!! I loved how things mostly came together at the end!! Jesse ended up being my favorite character because of the wolves 😉🐺

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Full review to come. For now, I’ll just say that if you liked We Are the Ants then this is the book you need to read next.
R.F. Kuang
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So...this was really. flipping. good.

Long RTC. Put this one on your TBRs, you won't regret it.
ellie
UPDATE: I JUST REALIZED THIS IS GAY SO IM EVEN MORE EXCITED TO READ IT NOW

holy shit this cover is so beautiful!! look at it!!
Amy (libraryofamy)
DNF on page 114.

I hate, hate, hate when I purchase a new release, read it right away, and dislike it so much that I can't even finish it. It feels like such a waste of money.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this book. It's a really interesting premise, and the writing style was noticeably lovely. However, I was incredibly bored.

I do not care about any of the characters. I wanted to, but I didn't. Each time it switched to new POV chapter, I couldn't remember the personality of that characte
OonaReads

If aliens sent a message to Earth and told us that the entire human kind would be eradicated because of our behaviour on the planet, I would simply think ‘that’s fair’
Bookish Penguin
What a super underwhelming end. It is not even a real ending, she just stopped writing in the middle of things lol

I don't know I think my updates speak for themselves and I don't want to talk about this book longer than nessecary. The characters where not developed and the whole book felt like the author wanted to put so much good topic in it but it was simply too much so everything got only talked about briefly.

There were no great twists in this book ( at least not for me ) since everything wa
Julie Zantopoulos
"Your pain is where the light enters you."

This audiobook was amazingly done and the story was so heartfelt and human. I really enjoyed this and am sorry I didn't get to it pre-publication but I'm thrilled I finally got around to it now.

What would you do if you weren't sure if the world was ending in a week? Would the world fall apart? Would you spend it with family and loved ones? What would be left unsaid and what would you do anything to make sure people knew? This is the story of three teens
Sahil Javed
i will support pakistani authors till the day i die.
Benjamin *or so they say*
I hope you get how much I need this book in my life.
Neil (or bleed)
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
First things first. I really liked the cover of this book. As an Electronics Engineer, the communications tower and the parabolic antennas on the cover are very enticing and I just wanted to buy the book already when I've first seen it.

Second, I Hope You Get This Message is an emotional story of finding happiness, contentment and oneself in the middle of the end of the world. Compare to We Are The Ants, we surely know that the aliens here aren't magical realism but the real deal. It almost felt
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I finally finished this after over two weeks, i think. And I just? I don't have words for that ending? It's so tender but it broke my heart in a way i can't pinpoint. What exactly happened to get such a visceral reaction out of me? i'm not sure.
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
I don’t normally read Science Fiction... ok that’s a lie. I don’t read Science Fiction. But this seems less Science Fiction and more contemporary which I also don’t read a lot of... but the synopsis really sells it to me.
Yesenia Juarez
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Blah, the writing was hard to read. Boring
Noa ☾
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5

It reminded Adeem of one of the poems his sister had shared with him once, one by Rumi. In the poem, Rumi banters with God over life’s usual philosophical questions: what to do with that pesky thing called a heart, where to focus one’s eyes, etcetera, etcetera. But when Rumi asks God what to do with his pain and sorrow, God tells him, “Stay with it. The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”

tw : suicide attempt (in the past, not depicted), mental health issues,

Some books just

Mary
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE GOOD:

* I enjoyed the writing, fairly easy to get through and despite the multiple POVs, which I generally dislike in books, it was easy to separate the characters’ voices
* I really loved how diverse it was - Muslim rep, lgbtq+ rep
* the plot was woven pretty well, it didn’t feel forced, having each individual character’s story merge at different points in the overall arc
* it was quite poignant and it reads a lot like a coming of age book

THE BAD:

* okay, so I was expecting it to be a looooot mo
Claire
I Hope You Get This Message is overall an okay but forgettable read. It tackles some interesting issues, but doesn't really deliver a powerful message or gives a conclusion and/or closure for the main characters, which makes an already uneventful story rather underwhelming. It's really just a contemporary coming of age story with scarce mentions of aliens and destruction of the human race.

If We Are the Ants was right up your alley, I'd definitely suggest giving this a chance, though.

Drewthereader20
Wow Ik I gave three books 5 stars this month but this was truly amazing.
I love how we had LGBT+ characters.
I also love those two Star Wars references.
The one thing that bother me was that cate when into a stranger car and I'm like: NOOOO
Sorry if that line was a little spoiler but oops.
5/5 stars
Vaso
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 stars
TL
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the story well enough (real life kept interfering with my reading time for various reasons). Part of the ending had me smiling, ther part felt "Meh" about.
Emily
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Your pain is where the light enters you."

This book. I don't have words for how much I love it.

It's beautifully written, laced with sadness, and anger, and most of all hope. Farah Naz Rishi is a simply incredible writer. This book is important. I can't wait for more people to read it.
Nev
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, lgbtqiap
4.5 - An alien planet has sent a communication to Earth saying they’re going to exterminate humanity in seven days. Jesse, Cate, and Adeem’s paths cross as they’re trying to get to unfinished business before the supposed end of the world.

This is definitely a sci-fi story that is more about the characters and their emotional journeys rather than the aliens themselves. It’s probably an overused comparison at this point, but if you enjoyed Shaun David Hutchinson’s We Are the Ants, then I’d say to
Josiah
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In a style somewhat reminiscent of Shaun David Hutchinson, Farah Naz Rishi orchestrates an end-of-days scenario featuring a cast of teens as confused about how they fit into our world as they are about the imminent apocalypse. Tension fills every corner of society after a message is beamed to Earth from a heretofore unknown alien planet called Alma. When scientists decode Alma's statement as a pronouncement that they will terminate mankind in one week, our civilization self-destructs. Looting oc ...more
Anniek
Actual rating: 3.5

This book deals with an impending judgment from an alien species that will decide if humanity gets to live or die. Which is a very interesting take on apocalyptic stories, because usually it's about chance and bad luck rather than another species deciding we as humanity have failed and deserve to die. And for the most part, I thought the way this was explored in the book was really interesting as well. The storylines of the three main characters combine in an interesting way, a
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Are we all so excited for the release of I Hope You Get This Message? Because frankly, we need to be. This is the possible-end-of-days book I have been dying for. I love the concept, but in the books I have read, the execution hasn't quite met my expectations. Not so here! The author
Giulia
"To the aliens,
Don’t bother coming here. Humans taste awful."

TW: bullying, schizophrenia, islamophobia, racism, homophobia, attempted suicide

Unpopular Opinion Time 🐸☕️

Actual rating: 2.5 ⭐️

My friend, hear me out.
There is no other way to say it: this one was very simply not for me. This book bored me to death.
And that makes me feel so incredibly sad.

I do not know why, but I felt so absurdly detached from these characters and I was so completely disinterested in their adventures it was almost funn
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“But the thing about the end of the world was this: either everything mattered, or nothing did.”
I Hope You Get This Message is a fantastic story with hope and a bit of heartbreak at its core. If you’re in the market for a sad and uplifting book, look no further. When Earth decodes a message from a distant planet, Alma, warning of an impending apocalypse in 8 days 3 teens converge as they’re each looking for answers or at least something to keep them sane.

Things I Liked
I absolute
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
omg this book 😭🖤 i didn’t want it to enddd and i have so many questions but in the best way

• Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Witchy
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers #2)
  • Felix Ever After
  • We Are Lost and Found
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Fascinators
  • The Gravity of Us
Farah Naz Rishi is a Pakistani-American Muslim writer and voice actor, but in another life, she’s worked stints as a lawyer, a video game journalist, and an editorial assistant. She received her B.A. in English from Bryn Mawr College, her J.D. from Lewis & Clark Law School, and her love of weaving stories from the Odyssey Writing Workshop. When she’s not writing, she’s probably hanging out with vi ...more

Articles featuring this book

As dedicated readers already know, some of the best and most innovative stories on the shelves come from the constantly evolving realm of y...
“But I don't want you to keep pretending you're okay. I don't want you to keep downplaying the hurt you feel like you're not even human. You keep it up - all these lies to yourself, to other people, and soon you're not going to know who you are.” 9 likes
“In the poem, Rumi banters with God over life's usual philosophical questions: what to do with that pesky thing called a heart, where to focus one's eyes, etcetera, etcetera. But when Rumi asks God what to do with his pain and sorrow, God tells him, "Stay with it. The wound is the place where the Light enters you.” 3 likes