Start by marking “Wicked Origins” as Want to Read:
Wicked Origins

Wicked Origins

(Wicked Origins #1)

I have no idea what’s happening to me.
When a tornado dropped my car in a land of short, wild people, I was shocked. With no way to get home, no idea where I was and no clue how to communicate with the muchkins, I was completely out of luck. Then I found out that my car had landed on someone and killed them. Supposedly she was the Wicked Witch of the East.
If that wasn’t b
Published December 10th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Origins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Origins

Lisa Koetsch
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC received. I love the original Wizard of Oz, so I was excited to read this version. The storyline is similar but enough changes to keep you guessing about the characters and their motivations. Plus the story is a bit darker, but not as gruesome as “Dorothy Must Die” I enjoyed it and I’m looking forward to the next book in the series.
Gabriella
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
As a big fan of the Wizard of Oz as well as the story of Wicked, this sounded like an interesting read after seeing the description. The idea of changing the original story to fit a more modern audience is really great, especially whilst keeping some of the main traits of the original present within it.

The story as a whole was interesting and I feel that the later books will be really good at expanding on what has been set up here and move the story along nicely. Considering there are several qu
Laetitia
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was so thorn when I tried to rate this book.
Although this is a retelling of a classic, I thought that it was quite original in changing Dorothy's companions to shifters. The story moved quite quickly and kept me very entertained. I definitely want to know where this is going. For that, it should get a high score.

However, I found the writing to be clumsy and the book was poorly edited. Even the book blurb is different that what a
Sue Brooks
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how I have not read anything of Paula Black's in the past - but I can guarantee that I will be reading more in the future!!! Being a big fan of the Wizard of OZ and the play Wicked -- I was thrilled when I was asked to read Wicked Gambit. After starting the book, I just felt like I was missing something -- with that said -- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read this series in order!!!

Dorothy is a teenage girl from Kansas (just like in the WIzard of OZ) - but in this series she has been abused
Erin Gossman
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gina's Library
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
We've all heard of the Oz Tales and the Wizard of Oz. They are both a timeless classic. I couldn't get enough of this book and can't wait for the next installment. Wicked Origins is a modern retelling of the Oz Tales.

For one thing, Dorothy arrives in Oz via her car, not her house. The munchkins talk in a strange language that she can't understand. They are also not the cute adorable munchkins we come to think of when we think of Munchkin Land.

There is so much I could say about this book, but it
Fleur
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I just loved how this took the bones of the original Oz and gave them a great new and updated twist! Dorothy isn't a cute teenage girl, but a girl who is defensive and doesn't let people in due to her abusive past, her partners Chimmy, Gin and Joon in her adventure are a fantastic spin of the cowardly lion, the tin man and Scarecrow which I absolutely loved. Be ready for shifters, cannibalistic Munch'kans , scary shadows, poppies to die for and of course a yellow brick road that may or may not g ...more
Donna
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wicked Origins is a reverse harem story that takes the bones of the Wizard Of Oz and turns it all around making it a more awesome story. In this version Dorothy is in her car with Toto when a tornado lifts her up and drops her in Oz. We have her landing on the witch in the town of cannibal munchins. Here she meets her three shifter companions and inherits the ruby slippers. It is from here they start there adventure on the yellow brick road. This is truly a unique retelling that I found captivat ...more
Patti
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Overall rating: 4.7

I love a good tale retold with an authors creative twist! There is just enough suggestive content in this book to make a young heart thump wildly. The suggestive RH seems to stretch that YA rating but I really dont know what the border is. In any case, for me , this retell of the wizard of oz is just captivating! The buildup moves at the perfect pace to keep the action going and with a flip of the page, a reader can expect a neon sign to flash in your minds eye reading “ stay
Vicki-Jayne Els
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasnt sure about the whole story at first, I oftwn find it a "cop out" to re write a popular story however, when i was reading this, I honestly and truly enjoyed it. I didnt give it a 5 star rating because I felt as though there is something missing but it wasnt quite sure what.

I was thrown off a bit by the brothers all being different however, I loved the humour involved and the connection between Dorothy and the brothers.

I will be reading the rest of this series and hopefully be able to give
Donna
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this re-imagined Wizard of Oz story. I loved that while keeping true to the magic of the original, the author was able to make changes and make the story her own. I was immediately drawn into the story and I couldn't put the book down. I was absolutely enthralled by it. I wanted to give it a 5 star but there are grammar errors sprinkled throughout. When you use words that sound the same but have different meanings, it really throws off the reader. Other than that, I absolutely l ...more
Natalie
Okie dokie, so first Wizard of Oz RH I've read. Slight trigger warning as the MC is an abuse victim from a handsy foster father, so no intimacy in this one just yet. I liked the three brothers, two out of the three make sense with the original. I liked the slow changing process from human to witch. Not too sure on Dorothy, she's a complicated mess and it makes the story a bit like a pendulum. Will probably read the next one.
Melissa
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book free to read and review.
I love retellings but this one took a lot more for me to get in to it. To me this is an extreme retelling that just didn’t come together very well. Don’t get me wrong, the storyline is there and when it does come together it is really good. This storytelling was just not my cup of tea.
Holly Stover
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome twist on the original Wizard of Oz that I wasn't expecting! This is the first retelling of a classic that I've read and I wasn't disappointed. I started reading and finished in one sitting and love that the story will continue. Highly recommend!
Shannon
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great retelling of the Wizard of Oz that puts a different, more modern, spin on it as well as adding some romance.
Whisper
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
There were some things I liked and some things that I didn’t like about this book. Overall a very good book and a refreshing twist on a classic though and I am looking forward to the next book.
Sandra
Jan 26, 2019
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

Take what you know about the land of Oz and ball it up. Toss it in the trash and light it on fire for safe measure. It’s been so long since I’ve read the original book, but I’ve seen the movie (yes I know it’s not the same) and this isn’t it. It’s different and unique but the story is still the same in a sense. Names have been retained and there is still the famous yellow brick road which leads our characters on some harrowing journeys. It’s a YA tale of family and love.

Dorothy is
Nov 16, 2018
Griselda
Dec 02, 2018
Paula Black
Dec 05, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Lakerea
Jan 13, 2019
Kat Valentine
Jan 27, 2019

Wicked Origins (2 books)
  • Wicked Gambit (Wicked Origins Book 2)