Start by marking “Ashlords” as Want to Read:
Ashlords

Ashlords

(Untitled Duology #1)

Red Rising meets The Scorpio Races in this epic fantasy following three phoenix horse riders--skilled at alchemy--who must compete at The Races--the modern spectacle that has replaced warfare within their empire.

Every year since the Ashlords were gifted phoenix horses by their gods, they've raced them. First into battle, then on great hunts, and finally for the pure sport
Published January 21st 2020 by Crown Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Ashlords
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I reviewed this a long time ago on my blog and Netgalley. I just keep forgetting to get it of my currently reading. That’s why I don’t like to have books currently reading. Either way, I enjoyed it!

Mel
Chelsea Humphrey
I couldn't sleep last night, so I picked this up on a whim and devoured the entire book in one sitting! Scott Reintgen has a way with words; his writing is accessible to readers of all ages, his narrative is captivating and engaging, and his characters are diverse in a way that doesn't feel forced, or for the sake of diversity. Ashlords is a thrilling introduction to a new duology, and per usual the author has me waiting anxiously for the conclusion. This was a fast paced read, a brilliant ...more
Scott Reintgen
Jun 18, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Reminder: This book is out in the world now! Grab your copy today. I'm so excited for the rest of you to jump into the incredible world of phoenix horse racing. This is my favorite book so far.

Shh. Don't tell my other books.
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
[3.5/5 stars] Scott Reintgen’s creativity always sparks my interest. I loved his Nyxia Triad enough to be sold on a new novel from him before even knowing what it was about.

As it turns out, it’s about racing phoenix horses across the desert. Um, hell yeah, sign me up!

A really cool concept and some great characters drove this story when other things like pacing and idea overload threatened to become issues. There are some well-thought out mechanics on the magic surrounding the breeding and care
Loretta (Laughing Listener)
I'm not gonna lie to you guys, the flaming pony is the only reason I'm here.

A PONY?!
megs_bookrack
With a tagline of ride or die, you know I'm down!!!

Thank you so much, Crown Books for Young Readers, for my early copy!!

Magical Horses.
A competition.
I could not be more excited about this!!!
Dianne
Scott Reintgen’s ASHLORDS is a literary powerhouse of imagination! Race along the elite riders in an annual race on phoenix horses that die each sunset, only to be reborn with alchemy the next sunrise. Deceit, treachery, and the need to win at any cost will test three riders from three different walks of life. Who will keep their honor and integrity? Who will fall to the lowest of lows?

A brilliantly told tale that invites readers to ride alongside, peek into the characters’ minds and thrill at
Sheila Goicea
I received a copy of this book from Crown Books for Young Readers via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

description

It’s the first time I’ve seen it all so clearly. There are two worlds, and I know exactly which one I belong in.

Content Warning: Death, Gore, Brutality, Profanity

Ashlords has been one of my most anticipated reads of 2020. The first
Austine (NovelKnight)
Check out the original review and more on NovelKnight!

This book was provided by the publisher (via NetGalley). This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

For all the books I've read, I'm not sure I've read one likeAshlordsand I. Am. A Fan. This book is fast-paced and exciting and packed with twists and turns much like the very race it's centered around.

I was initially intrigued by the concept of the phoenixes. In this world, they take the form of horses that rise
Karen’s Library
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, dystopian
4.25 stars. After reading and loving this author's first series, Nyxia, I knew I'd need more from him. Ashlords was exactly what I was waiting for! This book centers around horses called Phoenixes that die each night in a burst of flames and are raised from their ashes each morning using alchemy and magic. The alchemists choose what strengths and features their horse will have based on the chemicals used.

It's such a unique premise and I loved it. Ashlords is The Scorpio Races meets The Hunger
Nicole (FearYourEx)
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I requested an e-galley of Ashlords from the publisher without reading the synopsis. It had a fiery horse on the cover and the most important part Scott Reintgen was the author. So it was automatic request due to author.

I was not disappointed one bit.
This book follows three main characters Imelda (a Dividian), Adrian (a Longhand), and Pippa (an Ashlord, the favorite) as they prepare for and compete in a race. The Dividians are basically the lowest caste, they make less money, they are governed
Minx
This book caught my eye because, honestly, any book that is compared to Scorpio Races is going to be one that I just have to read. I loved that story! Luckily, Ashlords did not disappoint. It was an imaginative fantasy and I loved the inclusion of the phoenix horses. I also appreciated that the alchemy involved with the resurrections of the horses was complicated and at the same time fallible. It made every resurrection a bit of a nail biter because there was never any guarantee that things were ...more
Aly
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I freaking loved this!!!
From the introduction at the beginning, I was hooked on this story. I love competitions and the world building in this was so well done. The mash up of magic and technology was interesting and the phoenix horses were awesome. We meet three main characters in this book: Imelda, the poor Dividian who is a phenomenal alchemist and gets to the races on scholarship; Adrian, a Longhand looking to spark an uprising against the ruling Ashlords; and Pippa, one of those
Sherwood Smith
Dec 15, 2019 added it
Shelves: fantasy
This fantasy gets off to a somewhat slow start, which surprised me a bit after the Nyxia stories' 0-80 speed bang out the gate. But this is also a more complicated world, and a more complicated story being set up.

We've got three POVs, each written in a different style. Reintgen does a fabulous job establishing the three voices through the first half; I noticed that, in spite of the stylistic difference (third person, first person, second person present tense) the voices began to sound the same,
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to Random House Children's for the review copy in exchange for an honest review. This does not change my opinion in anyway

DNF @ page 50.

It pains me to dnf this because I was all ready to love the phoenix horses, and I still think that it is a great idea. However the set-up of the book is just not for me. There are 3 point of views that we follow and one of them is written in second person point of view. I found it incredibly jarring to read the constant you's and it makes me not want
Lulai
Dec 23, 2019 added it
Shelves: arc
-- I received this book through NetGalley against an honest review. --

I had the opportunity to read this book ahead of it published date and frankly, it's a great surprise.

I think the big asset of the novel is it universe. The concept of phoenix horses that need to be resurrected every morning is a great idea. The magic system is frankly well found, I enjoyed discovering the different components of the alchemists, the many possibilities and the functioning of the horses. In addition to this
Breanna
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
THIS REVIEW & MORE Paws and Paperbacks

ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley.

What is this book about? Ashlords follows the point of views of three characters from three very different backgrounds as they enter an annual competitive race featuring phoenix horses. Is it as awesome as the premise sounds? Yes.

What did I like? The premise of Ashlords is unlike any other I’ve read. Scott Reintgen did such an amazing job creating the plot and the world in this book. The entire
Peter
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hells yeah! eARC from #netgalley

Lives up to its billing as Hunger Games meets the Scorpio Races, two of my favorite books. Throw in a little Red Queen revolution chaos and I'm excited to see where this goes.
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Ashlords was a pretty interesting book. In it, you are following three riders who have been entered into a racing competition. This one just has phoenix horses, which are created by ashes with certain components by the Riders. Again, it was interesting and I was kind of getting vibes from other books that feature competitions.

The riders - Imelda, Adrian, and Pippa - were from completely different backgrounds. The one in
Cait | GoodeyReads
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2019, fantasy, young-adult
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the e-ARC! All opinions are my own.

ACTION-PACKED.

BLOG || INSTA

When you read a tagline that has “Red Rising meets The Scorpio Races…”, both of which are books you LOVE, it makes you think you have to know what this book is all about. I can’t say I see the Red Rising resemblance, BUT I do see The Scorpio Races with a bit more fire.

This book easily keeps you reading. I love how action driven this one was (a difference in my usual choices). The three POVs
Anne
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-review
Thanks so much to NetGalley and Random House Children's Publishing for letting me read and review this fantastic book.
I've read The Nyxia Triad by Scott Reintgen and knew from reading that series that he was a great writer with wonderful stories. I am so excited I got to read this book and can't wait for the next book after this one because I have questions that need answers.
I'm super curious about some things after reading Ashlords with the characters and their stories, what's going to happen
MarjorieBrd
Jul 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
after reading the nyxia trilogy my new motto is to read absolutely everything that has scott reintgen's name on the cover
♠ TABI ♠
Jul 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
this sounds so freaking good it better not let me down
Suzanne
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, netgalley
There was a lot going on in this book. The phoenix horses die every night and arise with the sun, and different chemical components change the horses as well. The country is complex and divided with the Ashlords and their gods ruling (and maybe not outwardly oppressing, but oppressing nonetheless) two conquered groups. And then there is the annual phoenix race, which is a combination of creativity, riding skill, fighting skill, and strategy.

The story is told in three points of view. First is
I Dream of Dragons and Unicorns
This sounds intriguing :-) ... though I have to say the tagline "Ride ... or die" is VERY cheesy! Still, the blurb is intriguing and the cover is stunning [I ADORE horses], so I'll be giving this new-to-me author a try/chance :-)!!
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Mmkay yeah I'm gonna need this
asbah
Oct 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: series-tbr
i friggin love horses
Erika Winterlia
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Ashlords we meet three characters from very different cultures, and they are all competing against each other in a horse race of a lifetime. One is an Ashlord golden girl, born into a position of power and fame, one is a revolutionary's son who bears the fate of his people’s freedom on his shoulders, and one is a determined alchemist protégé who hopes to show the Ashlords her people are done bowing to them.

When I got the chance to read and review Ashlords I jumped at the opportunity. I’ve
Kelli Spear
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was a super fun, fast-paced ride that I couldn’t get enough of!

Now, I’ve never read The Scorpio Races, but based upon the description, this book feels like a mix of that story and The Hunger Games. Toss in some gods and you’ve got a pretty cool mix and a kick ass story.

It’s told from several points of view. And at first, I chose Imelda as a favorite. I loved her voice, her character, her being the underdog and oppressed. Then, I started shifting towards Adrian. The rebel, the other
Alexandra WhimsyPages
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-2020
Full review will be up on my blog closer to the publication date

For everyone who loves the Hunger Games, Divergent or the Maze Runner, YOU NEED TO READ THE NYXIA TRILOGY. And after you are hooked, just as I am, immediately pick the first book in his new YA duology - «Ashlords»!

Scott Reintgen has done it again! The competitions he sets up in his books are the most exciting, dangerous and exhilarating reading experiences, and I just want to re-read them over and over again, as the adrenaline
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Nameless Queen
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Oasis
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • Tweet Cute
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • The Betrothed (The Betrothed, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Beyond the Shadowed Earth
  • DEV1AT3 (Lifelike, #2)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
Scott Reintgen grew up in North Carolina, and took full advantage of the fact that he lived on the same street as fourteen of his cousins. It could be a little crowded, but he threw a few elbows and carved out a space for himself as the family storyteller. He enjoyed the role so much that he decided to spend most of college and graduate school investing in the world of literature. This led to a ...more

Untitled Duology (2 books)
  • Blood Sworn (Ashlords #2)