Start by marking “Ashlords (Ashlords, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ashlords (Ashlords, #1)

Ashlords

(Ashlords #1)

Red Rising meets The Scorpio Races in this epic fantasy following three phoenix horse riders--skilled at alchemy--who must compete at The Races--the modern spectacle that has replaced warfare within their empire.

Published January 21st 2020 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ashlords, please sign up.
Krysti No. This is a completely different universe. The only similarity is the excellent writing.
Brian It's hinted at, but the cover is rather misleading when it says Pippa "falls for a competitor," as that is never developed.…moreIt's hinted at, but the cover is rather misleading when it says Pippa "falls for a competitor," as that is never developed.(less)

Start your review of Ashlords (Ashlords, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I reviewed this a long time ago on my blog and Netgalley. I just keep forgetting to get it of my currently reading. That’s why I don’t like to have books currently reading. Either way, I enjoyed it!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Scott Reintgen
Jun 18, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Reminder: This book is out in the world now! Grab your copy today. I'm so excited for the rest of you to jump into the incredible world of phoenix horse racing. This is my favorite book so far.

Shh. Don't tell my other books.
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
WHAT.
IS.
THIS!!???

"Red Rising" meets "The Scorpio Races"!?? OMG!
Are you freaking kidding me?

Take all my money and keep the change!!!
Also can we acknowledge that beautiful cover!
So gorgeous! <333
Chelsea Humphrey
I couldn't sleep last night, so I picked this up on a whim and devoured the entire book in one sitting! Scott Reintgen has a way with words; his writing is accessible to readers of all ages, his narrative is captivating and engaging, and his characters are diverse in a way that doesn't feel forced, or for the sake of diversity. Ashlords is a thrilling introduction to a new duology, and per usual the author has me waiting anxiously for the conclusion. This was a fast paced read, a brilliant adven ...more
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
[3.5/5 stars] Scott Reintgen’s creativity always sparks my interest. I loved his Nyxia Triad enough to be sold on a new novel from him before even knowing what it was about.

As it turns out, it’s about racing phoenix horses across the desert. Um, hell yeah, sign me up!

A really cool concept and some great characters drove this story when other things like pacing and idea overload threatened to become issues. There are some well-thought out mechanics on the magic surrounding the breeding and care o
booksNpenguins
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
First of all, this is being sold as Red Rising meets The Scorpio Races and I just have something to say about it, which is: you wish. Said that, with such an intriguing premise and the promise of dangerous and deadly horse races, alchemy, a rebellion and freaking phoenix horses, I honestly expected this to become my next favorite book.
What a fool I've been.
It didn't even make it to the top 30.

I must confess that at first I thought it was getting somewhere interesting and I was hooked but befo
Carrie
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Ashlords by Scott Reintgen is the first book of a new young adult fantasy duology series. The story follows three of the Phoenix racers by changing the point of view between the characters with each chapter as they prepare for the upcoming race.

The riders in the big race will be riding Phoenix horses that are brought to life by the rider’s alchemy giving them all unique qualities. At the end of each day however in the race the Phoenix return to ash until their rider can resurrect them again.

Pipp
megs_bookrack
With a tagline of ride or die, you know I'm down!!!

Thank you so much, Crown Books for Young Readers, for my early copy!!

Magical Horses.
A competition.
I could not be more excited about this!!!
Loretta (Laughing Listener)
I'm not gonna lie to you guys, the flaming pony is the only reason I'm here.

A PONY?!
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Yes, they die so that they might become something more."

Hello, my friends! I recently finished this wonderful book and figured it would be a great story to review.

Overview:

Ashlords immediately throws you into this unique world of humans and phoenixes. Phoenixes are essentially horses who have the power to resurrect and burn, and people race them for sport and clout. There are three PoV's in this book and I enjoyed all of their stories. Imelda is a girl who manages to get a spot in the race due
Renaissance Kate
I loved horse books growing up—Black Beauty, Misty of Chincoteague, Pony Pals…if it had horses, I probably read it— so to this day anything that combines horses and fantasy is right up my alley. With its dystopian Wild West vibes and phoenix horse races, Ashlords was no exception.

The worldbuilding is by far the best part of this book. I absolutely loved the idea of phoenix horses that must be reborn each day, meaning their riders must strategize to ensure they make it through the race. Not only
Dianne
Scott Reintgen’s ASHLORDS is a literary powerhouse of imagination! Race along the elite riders in an annual race on phoenix horses that die each sunset, only to be reborn with alchemy the next sunrise. Deceit, treachery, and the need to win at any cost will test three riders from three different walks of life. Who will keep their honor and integrity? Who will fall to the lowest of lows?

A brilliantly told tale that invites readers to ride alongside, peek into the characters’ minds and thrill at
Sylvie
Jan 28, 2021 rated it did not like it
1.5 out of 5 stars.

The three main reasons why I added 'Ashlords' to my tbr-pile:

1) The cover looked very cool.
2) The premise sounded like it would be adventurous and action-packed, which I always seem to enjoy.
3) And most importantly, this book was compared to Red Rising and The Scorpio Races. (at that time I hadn't read RR yet, but heard only great things about it and The Scorpio Races had easily became one of my favorite books of 2018.
So naturally my interest towards this book grew.

What made
The Captain
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: horses
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this young adult fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings . .

To those new to the crew, ye should know that horses were me first love before the sea stole me heart.  So obviously the flaming horse cover drew me in.  I have enjoyed this author's work in the past and I just had to read this.

Me favorite part of this book was of course the horses, known as phoenixes, in this particular world.  Basically these horses
Melissasfandomworld
This book has not only a magnificent cover but truly thrilling content as well! It gave me some hunger game vibes, it has politics, and an exciting and sometimes brutal and awesome horse race!

Despite this story not being the most perfectly executed one - there was more possible - this was nothing short of an addictive read. Everything I’ve read so far, was so interesting and it definitely left me craving more; more of this world and knowledge about it and more of these characters.

I’m already in
jessica
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
if i wanted to read a story like ‘the scorpio races’ or ‘red rising,’ i would just read ‘the scorpio races’ or ‘red rising.’ both of which are immensely superior to this novel, in my opinion. it almost feels like an insult, really, to compare this to them.

there are several things which led to my disliking of this: a son who calls his father ‘daddy’ which made me cringe every time, the unfortunate and unnecessary use of second person POV for one of the characters, the race not even beginning unt
Sabrina
[actual rating 3.5 stars]

Meh. Not what I expected and a long way from what I hoped for.

I feel like the blurb on the back tells a completely different story than what I actually read but since this seems to be a duology, some of the aspects described in the blurb might find their way into the sequel? I still don't know how to feel about this because I think if you describe what the book is about or what will happen in the book then it should also happen in the book, you know what I mean?

Also, the
Karen’s Library
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, dystopian
4.25 stars. After reading and loving this author's first series, Nyxia, I knew I'd need more from him. Ashlords was exactly what I was waiting for! This book centers around horses called Phoenixes that die each night in a burst of flames and are raised from their ashes each morning using alchemy and magic. The alchemists choose what strengths and features their horse will have based on the chemicals used.

It's such a unique premise and I loved it. Ashlords is The Scorpio Races meets The Hunger G
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I feel very violated that the book ended like that.
How dare you.
Uncalled for.

I loved all the POVs...like so much. The race was so exhilarating from all perspectives and I somehow I was rooting for them all. Tiny pieces of it reminded me of the Lunar Chronicles which just gave me so much nostalgia.
Sheila Goicea
I received a copy of this book from Crown Books for Young Readers via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

description

It’s the first time I’ve seen it all so clearly. There are two worlds, and I know exactly which one I belong in.

Content Warning: Death, Gore, Brutality, Profanity

Ashlords has been one of my most anticipated reads of 2020. The first
Rae
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Thank you to Netgalley and the Author and Publisher for giving me this ARC to read for a fair and honest review.

Check out this review and others like it on my blog!!!

"This was more than just a race. Our world is about to burn. And the two of us are the ones who will set it on fire."

What makes a book great for you? Is it the characters? The world building? The romance? The action? There's something about certain books that set them apart from the rest,
Stacy
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
No spoilers in this rapid review of Ashlords. I liked it and give it 3.5 stars. This is the first of Scott Reintgen’s book I’ve read, and it won’t be my last. He has a fresh, straightforward style that I appreciate, and both his plot and characters were intriguing.

Ashlords follows three teens preparing to ride in The Races, an annual event that pits different cultures within the empire against each other in an attempt to replace warfare. Entrants participate in a multi-day event riding phoenix h
Minx
This book caught my eye because, honestly, any book that is compared to Scorpio Races is going to be one that I just have to read. I loved that story! Luckily, Ashlords did not disappoint. It was an imaginative fantasy and I loved the inclusion of the phoenix horses. I also appreciated that the alchemy involved with the resurrections of the horses was complicated and at the same time fallible. It made every resurrection a bit of a nail biter because there was never any guarantee that things were ...more
Sherwood Smith
Dec 15, 2019 added it
Shelves: fantasy
This fantasy gets off to a somewhat slow start, which surprised me a bit after the Nyxia stories' 0-80 speed bang out the gate. But this is also a more complicated world, and a more complicated story being set up.

We've got three POVs, each written in a different style. Reintgen does a fabulous job establishing the three voices through the first half; I noticed that, in spite of the stylistic difference (third person, first person, second person present tense) the voices began to sound the same,
Diana
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
3'5

Vid review will be available on Jan, 29th, 2020 here: https://youtu.be/rfeaH-Xm0hQ
Nicole (FearYourEx)
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I requested an e-galley of Ashlords from the publisher without reading the synopsis. It had a fiery horse on the cover and the most important part Scott Reintgen was the author. So it was automatic request due to author.

I was not disappointed one bit.
This book follows three main characters Imelda (a Dividian), Adrian (a Longhand), and Pippa (an Ashlord, the favorite) as they prepare for and compete in a race. The Dividians are basically the lowest caste, they make less money, they are governed
Aly
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
Wow, I freaking loved this!!!
From the introduction at the beginning, I was hooked on this story. I love competitions and the world building in this was so well done. The mash up of magic and technology was interesting and the phoenix horses were awesome. We meet three main characters in this book: Imelda, the poor Dividian who is a phenomenal alchemist and gets to the races on scholarship; Adrian, a Longhand looking to spark an uprising against the ruling Ashlords; and Pippa, one of those Ashlor
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
4.5/5--there were some pacing issues--but rounded up because I freaking love the phoenix horses. Full review coming soon!

(Sorry, I've been very busy/stressed lately with law school application stuff, but I PROMISE all my reviews will be updated soon, hopefully in the next week or so.)
Suzanne
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley, ya
There was a lot going on in this book. The phoenix horses die every night and arise with the sun, and different chemical components change the horses as well. The country is complex and divided with the Ashlords and their gods ruling (and maybe not outwardly oppressing, but oppressing nonetheless) two conquered groups. And then there is the annual phoenix race, which is a combination of creativity, riding skill, fighting skill, and strategy.

The story is told in three points of view. First is Ime
Amanda Deur
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Burn baby burn, let those ashes reign with fire and blood!

Plot:
Every year since the Ashlords were gifted phoenix horses by their gods, they've raced them. First into battle, then on great hunts, and finally for the pure sport of seeing who rode the fastest. Centuries of blood and fire carved their competition into a more modern spectacle: The Races.

Over the course of a multi-day event, elite riders from clashing cultures vie to be crowned champion. But the modern version of the sport requires mo

• The Starless Sea
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Mooncakes
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • We Met in December
  • The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons #1)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Rage Baking: The Transformative Power of Flour, Fury, and Women's Voices
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Home for Erring and Outcast Girls
  • 約束のネバーランド 6 [Yakusoku no Neverland 6]
  • Out of Spite, Out of Mind (Magic 2.0 #5)
  • Keto Simple: Delicious Low-Carb Meals That Are Easy on Time, Budget, and Effort
  • The Kingdom
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • How to Read a Book
Scott Reintgen grew up in North Carolina, and took full advantage of the fact that he lived on the same street as fourteen of his cousins. It could be a little crowded, but he threw a few elbows and carved out a space for himself as the family storyteller. He enjoyed the role so much that he decided to spend most of college and graduate school investing in the world of literature. This led to a ca ...more

Ashlords (2 books)
  • Blood Sworn (Ashlords, #2)