Start by marking “Shielded (Shielded, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shielded (Shielded, #1)

Shielded

(Shielded #1)

For fans of Sorcery of Thorns and Furyborn comes a thrilling new fantasy about a kingdom ravaged by war, and the princess who might be the key to saving not only those closest to her, but the kingdom itself, if she reveals the very secret that could destroy her.

The kingdom of Hálendi is in trouble. It's losing the war at its borders, and rumors of a new, deadlier threat on
Library Binding, 432 pages
Published July 21st 2020 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Shielded, please sign up.
Abbey Front matter in the book states: Jacket art copyright 2020 by Alex Dos Diaz. I love the cover too! And the book is awesome!
ShootingStar I'd say this book is very clean! There's almost no swearing/inappropriate content!

Start your review of Shielded (Shielded, #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is another surprisingly amazing installment with its mind-bending, intriguing world-building, well-crafted character development, riveting story-telling, heart throbbing progression and satisfying ending! And let’s not forget to praise the brilliant illustration! Lately the covers of the books are breathtaking and thankfully there are such amazing artists out there to support fantastic reviews with their skilled imaginative minds!

I’m not gonna write a long review and take your precious time
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Omg! I got this book in my FairyLoot! I’ve wanted to read it! I love everything in my box! As usual, click under the picture to see all of the GOODIES!

GOODIES LINK: https://melissa413readsalot.blogspot....

This book!! It’s so damn good and my heart just broke. I also like to listen to relaxing epic fantasy music when reading lately. This music hit the mark on many parts. I’ll see if this link works to it.

This book was everything! I fell in love with Jenna
megs_bookrack
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
With the kingdom of Halendi at war, and rumors of an even deadlier threat looming on the borders, the King promises his daughter's hand to the Prince of the neighboring kingdom of Turia.

In exchange for her hand, Halendi will get the troops they desperately need to stage a better defense. Princess Jennesara is disheartened to learn of her father's deal, which was made without her consent.

Jenna has a warrior's heart and she knows if given the opportunity, she could be an asset to her kingdom in ba
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

This is a 3.5 star rating rounded up to 4 because...Goodreads is allergic to half-star ratings, it seems.

So, this wasn't even on my radar this year. In fact, I hadn't even added it to my shelves until Laur bullied me into requesting the ARC xD ... but I'm so glad that I listened to her!!!

This was pitched as Furyborn (which I can't attest to, as I DNF'ed that :P) meets Sorcery of Thorns,
Renaissance Kate
In the original mini-review I posted right after finishing this book, I compared reading Shielded to eating your favorite meal at a chain restaurant. For YA Fantasy fans, the flavors you expect are there so it’s fairly enjoyable, and there are even a few intriguing touches throughout the story; however, it ultimately doesn’t really offer anything new. That being said, if you’re looking to lose yourself in a typical YA Fantasy, you will likely enjoy this book.

Our 1st person POV protagonist, Prin
Ari
Juliana (Midnight Book Blog)
I think the beginning and end of this are two totally different books.

The first half of this book seemed like a really, really slow version of Shadow and Bone. Thankfully, once the setting shifted, things got a lot more interesting, and a lot less familiar. Once Jenna met Mari, Chiara, and Enzo, I actually found the book really enjoyable. I’m a sucker for found family tropes, and the relationship Jenna has with all of them was really sweet. The characters were definitely the best part, and I hop
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
A very simplistic but charming read. I enjoyed this. It reminds me of Throne of Glass and The Kiss of Deception in a way. The magic system captured my attention throughout the story and I really liked the different cultures described between the two main kingdoms, one is more snowy/cold with fair skin and light hair while the other is warm with bright colors, darker skin and darker hair but it’s not without its flaws.

The story is set at a cat and mouse pace. It’s a lot of hiding. Characters wait
Cindy ✩☽♔
Rating ~3.5

An entertaining, somewhat familiar, fantasy adventure.

The Main Characters: Let's start off by making it clear that while our heroine and hero are truly their character archetypes. If you're looking for more morally gray characters, you will not find that here. Like, at all.

Jenna is a likable heroine. She is strong, determined, loyal. And while she can certainty fight like a warrior, she is not prone to violence. All she wants is to be with her family, to serve her country. So, altho
AJ
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”Dark triangle tops of evergreens framed the canvas of the sky. The stars were mere pinpricks of light, yet they bathed the world in their glory.”

Thank you to the publishers and Netgalley for allowing me to read an ARC of this book in exchange or an honest review!

This is one of the best books I’ve read in a while. Amazing and interesting world building, unique magic, characters that are interesting enough for you to get attached to, a swoon worthy romance and action that will have you on th
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

HOLY COW GUYS! I can't even comprehend what I just read. Wow, oh wow. Loved this book from start to finished and now I need to somehow cope with not being able to dive into the second book right now.

Seriously guys, Shielded was so freaking good. My love for Enzo and Jen will forever grow. I will admit the beginning was a little slow for me but after the first chapter, I was hooked. You couldn't pay me to put the book down b
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

“Shielded” tells the tale of Princess Jennesara, who sent off to marry her betrothed, the prince of neighboring Turia, in exchange for resources needed to save her Kingdom and when she is in route, a surprise ambushed alters the course of her life forever. Filled with betrayal, world-building, romance, fantasy, magic, and strong family ties (surprising to say the least), the reader is thrown in epic adventure that will have you turning pages faster than you had ever imagined.

And
Alexandra Scarpello
Mar 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 70%

Y'all, I cant with this book. I notice the top reviews are waxing over how incredible and beautiful this was- I can't. Did we read different books.

Imagine it- the most generic YA premise ever. A princess who is defiant and lives in a just sexist enough universe to be frustrating universe- but also not quite sexist enough to cause her trauma. She has magic, but its a secret! Forced marriage! Traveling! More traveling. More...wait...what?

So heres my issue with this one. It took until abo
Taschima
description

Shielded is YA fantasy done right. I am so happy that the beautiful cover (which I definitely need in my bookshelf) matches the FANTASTIC story inside the pages. I love the characters, their relationships and development, the dialogue, the steady pace, the plot, the romance, and the world building. That's is 5 stars right there!

The heroine, Jenna, is both strong yet vulnerable. She is an eccentric princess who uses her brain in tough situations and doesn't take the easy way out. After a lot of b
Jessie Sedai of the Black Ajah🥀🐍
This. Was. EXCELLENT.

This checked SO many boxes for me.

Rich, dense character development.
Beautiful, accurate depiction of combat.
Refreshingly unique, believable magic system.
A heroine who is a TRUE FREAKING HEROINE, an embodiment of VALOR and GRACE. A leader, a nurturer, a fierce warrior in every way.
Just the cutest romance, so cute I didn't even care it was a little insta-lovey.

This was everything that I, as a lover of epic fantasy, truly adore in my books. I LOVE slow burn, slow buildup narr
Maria ☾ ⋆
Jul 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
The cover calls me to read this book! 👁👄👁
Aly
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap I loved this! From the first chapter I was hooked and the whole book was fantastically written. Jennessa is a great character, she's a fighter and loves her family more than anything. Her adventure was so much fun and I liked the various friendships she made along the way. Enzo is a cutie and his sisters were fun characters. The world building was well done, I understood what happened without feeling overloaded. Great pacing and the romance was sweet. I can't wait for this to come out ...more
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Shielded
Series: Shielded #1
Author: KayLynn Flanders
Release date: July 21, 2020
Cliffhanger: yes
Genre:YA fantasy

This book was everything I look for in a fantasy and more. This is such an exciting debut from new author, KayLynn Flanders! I can't get over the quality of the plot and characterization in this novel. I've read many books by seasoned authors that weren't even close to this caliber. I was particularly impressed with Jennesara, the main protagonist, and the way the intricate world
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Princess Jennesara knows that she's just as good of a warrior as anyone else in her country's army, but her father refuses to send her to the front to fight. Instead, she's sent off without fanfare or warning to wed the heir of another kingdom—while her brother goes to the front and her father prepares for trouble at home. When her caravan is ambushed and her family killed, Jennesara knows that it's up to her to save her kingdom and uncover the truth.

This was an enjoyable, if pretty standard, YA
The Clever Reader
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great YA Fantasy! I enjoyed the fast-paced action packed adventure.

Jenna is ambushed with a marriage she didn’t know about and then ambushed again on her way to meet the poor sap. She didn’t want to get married but understands that she’s not the heir and despite her wish to marry for love she is bound to follow what is expected.

When she’s ambushed on her way to meet her betrothed she finds out that the impending war is much worse than expected and now it’s up to her to save her kingdo
Maddie
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of 'Snow Like Ashes'
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Firstly, let's take a moment to appreciate this beautiful cover. I thought I hated every cover with a face on it but clearly no. Like, is this not the most gorgeous cover? That's what I thought.

Okay, now with what I thought of the book itself.

What an amazing start to a series!

This story, at its core, is about the bitter-sweetness of leaving your childhood behind as you enter into adulthood. It's about the fear, as w
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
I knew this one would be good! It was definitely on my high anticipation list for the year and it didn't disappoint!

A couple small things brought the rating down by half a star, but this book is still soooo good! And it helped drag my sorry arse out of a slump that started at the beginning of the month. So I'm so grateful to this fun read for saving me!

Our heroine is brave and courageous with a sword, and pushes on despite the odds heavily stacked against her. You have to admire that. I know I w
Tasha  Ní Mhiacháin
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-box-books
“Chin up. They lose their power when you stop giving it to them."

4.5 ☆

I’m still reading my way out of an awful slump. This story had just a little of everything I love to keep me going.

Magic, secrets, battles, mystery, cute characters and ancient evils.

I really enjoyed Kaylynn's style of writing – I didn’t find it difficult to get swept away into the story, even with my slump looming over me.

I liked and disliked the pages between chapters. I thought it was a really clever way of giving insigh
Andy
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020-read, own-ebook
I received a free ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Princess Jennesara is the second sibling and therefore is not in line for the throne of Halendi. She's had some freedom to train how she likes and is highly proficient with a sword. However, things aren't looking great for her country and since she's not the firstborn, she's not allowed to have magic, but she does. Jenna does all that she can to hide her abilities, even if they are small, so that her b
Amanda
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Thank you Netgalley and Random House Children's Press for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Summary: The kingdom of Hálendi is in trouble. Jennesara "Jenna" has magic, but has kept it a secret from everyone except her brother. He also has magic, but this is acceptable as he is in line to inherit the throne. Jenna's future is simpler, she is betrothed to a foreign king and must continue to keep her secret. But things are not always what they seem, and as she is on her way to this new land,
Sara
Jun 11, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Frankie Lovely
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-release

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Holy wow that was sooo sooo good!!!! I saw someone else say "for fans of Snow Like Ashes" (of which I am) ... and also greatly agree.

What I liked

Well, everything!

Seriously, I adored this book in its entirety. The world building was intriguing, easy to understand and unique. The political intrigue was spot on. There were twists and turns that I did not see coming (although I have some theories on a few things). And the
Kelly
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
After too many YA Fantasy flops in a row, I finally found one that I actually enjoyed! Can you believe it?

Shielded hooked me from the start and while the reveals and the direction of the plot was pretty predictable, I liked it nonetheless. Shielded doesn't re-invent the wheel but gives you a good story with a nice touch of romance (which I really liked) to keep you entertained. The characters in here were really well done. I was rooting for them and I teared up a little at one particular scene.
Kathryn Thompson
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read an early copy of this book and was completely swept up in the characters and world building. A completely magical read. I can’t wait for KayLynn Flanders’ talent to be released into the world. Amazing debut. Where is book 2?!
Ali Corvere
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shielded may seem like a run of the mill debut. There have been so many books published within the last 5 years that have similar features.

There's a strong female lead that's deeply opposed to her inevitable betrothal. There's war. There's a handsome prince.
It all sounds very familiar.

HOWEVER.
i really enjoyed this.

The beginning is very info dumpy and the writing is awkward at times but the story is entertaining and the characters kept my attention.

plus, THERE'S A MAGICAL FOREST.

The author

• Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
  • Fable (Fable, #1)
  • Star Daughter
  • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • The Princess Will Save You (Kingdoms of Sand and Sky, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Just My Luck
  • Before I Disappear
  • A Proper Scandal
  • The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein
  • Heist Society (Heist Society, #1)
  • Outrun the Moon
  • Within Ash and Stardust (The Xenith Trilogy, #3)
  • The Last Magician (The Last Magician, #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
KayLynn Flanders is a graduate of Brigham Young University, with a degree in English Language and a minor in editing. When she’s not writing, she spends her time playing volleyball, reading, and traveling. She lives in Utah with her family, and thinks there’s nothing better than a spur-of-the-moment road trip. Her debut novel is Shielded. To learn more about KayLynn, go to kaylynnflanders.com or f ...more

Shielded (2 books)
  • Untethered (Shielded, #2)