Start by marking “Girl from Nowhere” as Want to Read:
Girl from Nowhere

Girl from Nowhere

Red Sparrow meets One of Us Is Lying in this action-packed, romance-filled YA debut about a girl trying to outrun her past.

Ninety-four countries. Thirty-one schools. Two bullets.
Now it’s over...or so she thinks.

Sophia arrives in Montana with the promise of a normal high school experience. But after a turbulent few years abroad with her diplomat parents, forgetting the past
Published July 21st 2020 by Bloomsbury YA

To ask other readers questions about Girl from Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl from Nowhere

Start your review of Girl from Nowhere
Jen Ryland
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I struggled with Girl From Nowhere. The first and second half felt like two completely different books. The first half was early 2000s-style angsty/instalove YA romance (think girl at a new school falls for mysterious boy with mesmerizing green eyes) and the second half felt like one long and confusing action scene. Neither half really worked for me, and I didn't think they worked together.

Sophia's in hiding in Montana due to some trouble involved with her parents' dangerous jobs. Just your ave
LadyTechie
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am totally enamored of Girl from Nowhere. I received a copy via the publisher, Bloomsbury YA and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I work a lot of hours each week. It used to take me a few hours or at most a day or two to read a book. Sometimes it takes me 2 weeks, if I am lucky and have not forgotten some of what I have read. Part of this occurred when I was working on my dissertation and I thought I will get to read more leisure reads now that this is done. But, no, work just repla ...more
Amber Reifsneider
Thank you to @tiffany_Rosenhan and @netgalley for this digital e-arc. I received this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

Plot:
Sophia has lived quite an exciting life. Since her mother and father are US Diplomats, she has moved around to countless countries and speaks multiple languages fluently. When her family moves to Waterford, Montana, she thinks everything is “over”. Her mother and father tell her there is nothing to worry about and that they have “retired”. However, her past continues t
Christina McGarvey
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️You know when you read a good book and you can’t stop thinking about the adventures and the characters? In the best way you are haunted by a world that doesn’t really exist? Well that’s the sign of a good book to me. And this is it! The perfect summer escape, with characters that explode to life! I want to go back to Waterford - please get the sequel ready quickly! I could not put this book down, read it all in one long day and night. I can’t say it enough: IT WAS SO GOOD. THIS AUT ...more
Thindbooks
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*This book was sent to me by the publisher to give an honest review in return*

I was hooked with this book from page one! This was such an amazing read that had fluffy romance and a mystery to it. This book is about Sophia who's parents are diplomat who moves to Montana to start a normal life after running so many years abroad. Sophia meets a cute boy named, Aksel, but the past starts catching up with her and she doesn't know if she will have to leave her normal life behind again. You're probably
Amy
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a DRC of this title for review. All opinions are my own.

OK-I'll admit it. I loved this book. For me, it was the perfect blend of a somewhat fluffy romance (of course she would be able to attract the attention of the boy who is mysterious and aloof with all of the local townies) with the adventure and drama of a good thriller. This is something that I think multiple types of readers will enjoy and I can't wait to hand it off to my s
Kate
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a temporary digital advanced copy of Girl from Nowhere by Tiffany Rosenhan from NetGalley, Bloomsbury YA, and the author in exchange for an honest review.

The Hepworth's are no normal family. While traveling the world with her parents--US diplomats--Sophia Hepworth learns fourteen languages, attends thirty-one schools, and visits ninety-four countries in her mere sixteen years. After a life-changing experience, the Hepworth's give up their uncommon whirlwind travels for retirement, or
BookwormishMe
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ng-reviews, reviewed
5 stars / This review will be posted at BookwormishMe.com on 7 July 2020.

Holy moly, this is an epic YA novel.

Sophia and her parents have just settled in the mountain town of Waterford, Montana. After years of moving from one place to another across the world, her parents have decided it’s time for Sophia to be a normal teenager. Or as close to one as she can be with retired diplomats for parents.

Sophia speaks multiple languages and is a sharpshooter. She has been trained to survive whatever com
Kasey Giard
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite part about GIRL FROM NOWHERE is the pacing. All the way through, it has this tense, cliff’s edge feeling to it. I needed to know what was going to happen to her. I loved her struggle between her instincts for protection and her desire to be a normal girl in a small American town.

The toughest part of the book, for me, is that I found it hard to buy into the idea that she’d be as knowledgeable and trained as she is and only be a teenager. Being fluent in the number of languages she was
Amy (novelteahappyme)
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A truly cinematic read, “The Girl From Nowhere” hooks readers from the very first page and doesn’t let go as it’s quick-packed narrative offers plenty of twists and turns.

Described as “Red Sparrow” meets “One of Us Is Lying”, this action-packed YA debut is a thrilling and engaging read not to be missed. Much like an adrenaline filled summer blockbuster, “The Girl From Nowhere” never lets up. The story isn’t perfect, the plot has some definition holes, some characters are swiftly introduced then
danielle
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an ARC and I could not put it down!! Rarely do I read a book that immediately pulls me in and transports me to a setting that I don’t want to leave.

The intriguing writing kept up the “spy thriller” pace while simultaneously blending in Sophia’s relationships with parents, friends, potential love interest, etc...

In the best of ways, I felt like I was reading a story as if Jason Bourne was a teenage girl. The author showed the beauty and complexities of the world through a teenager’s eyes
Alma
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Girl from nowhere” is filled with action, love, and adventure. The only thing I didn’t like about it was the cover. With a storyline of a type of female 007 mixed up with a very handsome James Bond type, having a book cover showing a girl with tape over her eyes DOESN’T CUT IT! Come on Bloomsbury! There’s still a month left before publication, so PLEASE come out with a more riveting cover to draw readers in – otherwise they’ll pass up a very good book! Read the rest of the review on my blog.: h ...more
Natasha | readalongwithnat
I received an advance copy from Netgalley and Bloomsbury Publishing in exchange for my honest review.

CW: PTSD, gun violence, terrorists, death of a parent

READ. THIS. BOOK. I seriously read 93% of it in one day and the only reason I didn't finish the last 7% is because it was past my (very early) bedtime. The whole story was super engaging and I could hardly put it down. I honestly can't believe this is a debut novel because it is so well done. I loved the characters, the storyline was WILD, and
McElle Zuro
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I seriously couldn't put this book down! Every detail is so thoughtful and comes together so brilliantly in the end. It captured my attention from the very beginning and was full of excitement, romance, and mystery. Highly recommend.
Samantha (WLABB)
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sophia had spent time in a myriad of countries all over the world, but now, with her parents' retirement, she would finally have a place to call home. Just as she was settling into her new life in Montana, danger came calling again, but she wasn't ready to give up being a "regular" teen just yet.

This was a perfect escape for me! It was the break from reality I needed, and I found myself totally absorbed in Sophia's life or death trials. More often than not, I can be found reading a contemporary
Sarah Yung
Jul 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was terrible—a book in the vein of Alex Rider or similar, an all-white cast (except for Charlotte Cartwright, a new friend who mentions her Korean-Dominican ancestry then drops off the face of the planet after Aksel professes his interest), mixed with a bunch of brand-name drops, a convoluted plot, and a Twilight-era romance. Might’ve done decently a decade ago, but I can’t imagining recommending this to anyone now.

Examples of the prose:
Pg. 33:
His muscles spread out across his shoulders an
Allie
Girl From Nowhere is marketed as a story of a girl "running from her past." The initial pages of the novel take place in the Suburban United States, and much of the conflict in the first third comes from interpersonal drama - friendships, romances, Calculus class, and so on. I was settling in to read a quiet contemporary novel about trauma, when all of a sudden, roughly halfway through the book, things changed - and fast.
All of a sudden, what had been a middling read picked up in speed and beca
Lindsey Collins
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Girl from Nowhere is a novel about a reluctant teenage spy. She's spent her life with her 'diplomat' parents learning languages, martial art moves, piano, and to hold her breath for four minutes.
Unlike most teenage spy novels I found Sophia a lot more relatable. She's never had a normal life. She doesn't understand cultural references, how to talk to people, or how to deal with the trauma of being kidnapped and chased by terrorists for 18 months.

Sophia's parents, like all spy parents made me m
Barbara
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great debut novel!!! Tiffany Rosenhan has written a smart, exciting, romantic novel that teens and adults will love. The spy craft was thrilling and suspenseful, with enough creepy suspense and action packed fight scenes to keep the story moving. The love interest storyline gave me delightful new crush tingles. I’d recommend this book to both teen girls and boys alike, as well as adults. It’s also appropriate for older middle grade readers, I’d say 12 and up.
Chelsea Lorimer
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Girl from Nowhere was such an enjoyable read! I was swept into a fun teenage romance and then empowered by a strong female lead. Tiffany Rosenhan has created a story that hasn't been told before in which a female can be just as strong and clever as any man. Take pleasure in being transported back to a time when feeling butterflies for a boy was the most exciting part of your day. AND then become engrossed in a story of adventure. Super fun read for all ages.
Marianne
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read it in two days - I couldn't put it down once I got to the third chapter. It's a fun read, great for teens especially, but as an adult I really liked it. It reads like a fast-paced movie and has a great love story that made me want to get to the end to see if they ended up together. A great escapist book that was a diversion from the heaviness of the world. Exactly what I needed right now. Highly recommend!
Kat
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#GirlfromNowhere
#NetGalley
Thank you to Macmillan and NetGalley for the E-arc copy of a Girl from Nowhere by Tiffany Rosenhan. I found the action, mystery, and character development to be spot on for a young adult thriller. I would defiantly recommend to any of my teen readers.
Webster Stone
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is VERY different from other YA. Like a mash-up of romance and a cool thriller. The very first chapter drew me right in -- so intense. I just kept turning the pages. Plus, the author surprised me more than once -- I did not see it coming! That was nice.
Daniel Creer
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great summer read! It was an exciting story that moved quick, I read it in a couple of days. The characters are interesting, the romance sizzles, and the action is non-stop. I can’t wait for her next adventure!
Emma
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best book ever!!! Tiffany does a good job! I would recommend to everyone I know. it has a good balance of adventure and romance. It’s a quick moving book.
Cece Beckman
"Bursting with action and intrigue. Girl From Nowhere is better suited for an adult audience."
Sheaf and Ink, Cecelia Beckman

I liked the idea of Girl From Nowhere. A book about a young teenage girl running from her past seemed like a compelling read. But the further along I got in the novel the more confused I became. The chapters unfolded like hastily cut kite strings flailing aimlessly in a torrent of wind. And there’s a lot going on in this book, but not everything makes complete sense.

With s
Marlo
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
After watching an interview with the author, I was so excited to read this book about Sophia and her world traveling life. It started off okay, but fairly quickly it jumped into Sophia obsessing over the mysterious boy she meets. His green eyes and her being incapable of breathing properly in his presence or when he touched her wrist, cheek, small of her back, etc. This went on and on for about the first half of the book, when suddenly the action picked up. I loved the second half of th
karen wescott
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: give-aways
Thank u for another Awesome Goodreads GiveAway! Unsuspecting the warp speed this book gears up to. Definitely Should be a movie or short series! Action, adventure, travel, crime busting and a bit of teenage drama. Loved it. I think the title and cover art do not equate to what is inside.
Aida Alberto
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this debut. This is one author that I look forward to reading more books from. She has a clear voice that draws you in and characters that stick with you. Engaging and entertaining this is one debut book you should definitely check out. Happy reading! #TheGirlfromNowhere #NetGalley
Mrs. Salgy
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a title I'll be adding to my classroom library! Spy stories are always in great demand, and this one is sure to be a hit with my students!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Two Can Keep a Secret
  • The Library of Lost and Found
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • The Magician's Land (The Magicians, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Take It Back
  • Would Like to Meet
  • Girl, Unframed
  • Keep My Heart in San Francisco
  • Punching the Air
  • The Silence (Columbia River #2, Callahan & McLane, #5)
  • Thin Girls
  • An Inconvenient Woman
  • Brunch and Other Obligations
TIFFANY ROSENHAN is the mother to four young daughters. She has a degree in political science and loves to travel the world with her family and husband, who is a critical care physician. She lives in Millcreek, Utah.