Start by marking “I Can Fly” as Want to Read:

A bird can fly.
So can I.
A cow can moo.
I can, too.

So begins the simple, delightful rhyme by Ruth Krauss that both celebrates and encourages a child’s imagination. Mary Blair’s vibrant artwork, found in the Golden Books archives and newly scanned, looks as fresh as it did 50 years ago.
Published September 9th 2003 by Golden Books (first published 1951)

Kathryn
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! The story is fun with rhyming text of the little girl pretending to be like various animals, but the illustrations completely won me over. I love all the details in how the little girl matches the animals she pretends to be--things like her sunhat looking like a clam shell, or the pillows she piles on her back matching the blankets on the camel's hump. Mary Blair did a lot of work for Disney back in its golden age and I am a huge fan of her work, so I was really excited when I found th ...more
Jessica
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Babies and Toddlers
Shelves: graciela
Graciela loved this book. She had me read it at least four times in a row and was still saying, "again, again".
Leslie
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Not the LSD parable I thought it was going to be, but still good.
Jocelin
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Colorful and cute.
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, want, coolkids
The illustrations in this book are beautiful.
Daisy
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-youth
sent one to Helene B.
Bree
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great children's book about imagination and being what ever you want. I think it's such an amazing lesson to teach kids. That you can imagine and dream to be anything you want. One day you can create and express it. The pictures were the thing that just made me fall in love with this book though. This little girl is so freaking adorable. I could frame any of these drawing and hang them in a room. Totally adorable.
Read  Ribbet
This is a classic reissue of the Ruth Krauss's classic which is a great book for emergent and early readers. Limited print on each page presented in rhymed verse as a young girl copies the actions of animals in her world. Clear illustration print match set up nicely to invite interaction. Good for a read aloud at home or in the classroom.
Diana Thomsen
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a beautiful book. I felt like I was watching an old-time Disney movie. The poem is delicate and sweet. Great read-aloud!
Robert Beveridge
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ruth Krauss, I Can Fly (Golden Press, 1951)

The printing of this we have is from 1992, from a series of re-releases commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of Golden Books. They chose a bunch of the ones they consider classics to bring back out. What parameters they used other than age, I do not know. One of the things about the older Golden Books that attracts me these days is that, in general, the language in them would today be aimed at first readers rather than the pre-lit crowd; it's not as a
Heila
Nov 15, 2016 added it
Shelves: children-s
The amazing thing about this book is that it has a girl protagonist. And she does a lot of things. Sad that in 2016 that is still amazing and unusual. Original copyright is 1951, reissued in 1979 & 2003.

The girl's activity stands out to me -- she acts out different animals, and in her imagination she is all of them -- crawling and jumping and climbing all over the place, making sound effects.

I can’t say I like the illustrations because they honestly remind me of a fever dream I had when I
Inhabiting Books
Originally published in 1951, this is a quick, rhyming book about a little girl who compares herself to certain creatures.

A favorite read-aloud of my three-year-old. My mom tells me I was obsessed with this book myself as a toddler.

Rebecca
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, art
This was one of my all-time favorite children's books. Have you seen her outfits and how they match the animals?! (Well, most of them.)

The little chick is the best.

*Unfortunately, the newer editions have several pages removed.
Karen
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An entire college course, if not curriculum, could be taught using Mary Blair's illustrative style. Her artwork is sheer perfection.

I had this book when I was very young -- maybe four or five -- and I didn't remember the text entirely, but I never forgot the illustrations.

Jessica
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-babysitting
If you're a parent with young children, then perhaps you'll enjoy this more than I did. The Girl in the story imitates every animal that she knows and I suppose for a child's pretend, this book can be fun if read aloud and acted out!
Brianna
Grade Level(s): Pre-K - K
* Teaches simple words and rhyming to young children
* Introduces students to a variety of animals
* Can be used to introduce rhyming to students in Pre-K and kindergarten
Kristin Hamrock
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very cute rhyming book about a little girl who compares herself to certain creatures. A great activity can be done where students compare themselves to something else using a Venn diagram. Overall, a very simple story that children like to read themselves.
cedar
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was the FIRST book I read by MYSELF!!
Carrie Halim
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Little Golden Book...the illustrations are amazing!
Patty
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-picture
Betsy
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A retro favorite of mine--we have the little board book edition and all my children enjoyed it.
Martha
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Makes a good read aloud to review rhyming words.
Christina Evans
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some of my favourite illustrations in any book ever.
Sheila Read
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I remember the cover just not the story.
Alisha Brook
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
A great childhood story - but not a favourite of mine.
Amar Pai
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Neither good nor bad. The very definition of "does what it says on the tin." Which makes it bad, somewhat.
Jeff
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
great art!
Jobiska (Cindy)
The five stars are for the older, longer version from MY childhood. I also own the current one. Amazing illustrations.

Crunch crunch crunch, I'm a goat out to lunch.
Julia Stilchen
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the illustrations. Big fan of this style.
Urs
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Amazingly, wonderful book forever!  :D

• The Sailor Dog
  • Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man
  • Four Little Kittens (a Little Golden Book)
  • The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (a Little Golden Book)
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • My First Counting Book
  • Prayers for Children (Little Golden Book)
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • Tall
  • Little Hoot
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (a Little Golden Book)
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • Meeow and the Big Box
  • The Firefighters' Busy Day
  • Mother Goose
  • Daddy Kisses
  • Hansel and Gretel

“Gubble gubble gubble I'm a mubble in a pubble. I can play I'm anything that's anything. That's MY way.” 4 likes