Start by marking “In the Darkness” as Want to Read:
In the Darkness

In the Darkness

(Zoe Bentley Mystery #2)

A forensic psychologist fights a mental war against two serial killers in this disturbing thriller from Mike Omer, Washington Post and Amazon Charts bestselling author of A Killer’s Mind.

An online video of a girl clawing at the ceiling of her own grave could be the worst thing FBI forensic psychologist Zoe Bentley has ever seen. Perhaps even more disturbing is the implicat
Published June 25th 2019 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about In the Darkness, please sign up.
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books) I have published reviews prior to publication MANY times and it's because of ARC's. Now yes, sometimes you can see a five star review of an…moreI have published reviews prior to publication MANY times and it's because of ARC's. Now yes, sometimes you can see a five star review of an unpublished book and the reviewer simply says that they are excited the book is coming out. That is suspect. But just because a review or rating is published prior to publication doesn't mean they haven't read it.(less)

Joey R.
Aug 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 Stars — I just finished “In the Darkness” Mike Omer’s second Zoe Bentley book. I really enjoyed the first book in the series, “A Killer’s Mind” so I was hoping that this book would be just as good,if not better, than the first book ... it wasn’t. In fact the word preposterous comes to mind as I think back at all the contrived twists and turns the author chose to include in this book. “In the Darkness” once again follows Zoe Bentley a behavior analyst for the FBI and her partner, Tatum Gray, ...more
Jess☺️
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
In To The Darkness by Mike Omer is the second book in the Zoe Bentley series and it certainly continues to get better,you start to see the characters grow and rub along together greatly.
Grandad Marvin, psycho cat freckles and Timothy the fish are the comedy trio that takes the edge off the darkness in this series( they definitely give you a good giggle🤣)
There's still the killer from Zoe's childhood lingering in the shadows of this story but it's just enough to keep you wondering when his time u
Matt
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mike Omer is back with another impactful thriller that presents another ruthless serial killer out for some twisted revenge. Dr. Zoe Bentley is a star within the FBI’s Behavioural Analyst Unit (BAU), using her skills to profile some of the country’s worst killers. Bentley is still coming to terms with the knowledge that an acquaintance is on the loose, a serial killer in his own right. Zoe’s sister, Andrea, appears to be a target, which leaves everyone feeling a little less than safe. When Bentl ...more
Luvtoread
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes detective mysteries and FBI thrillers tell the same story over and over with different names for their characters. This is not the case with "In The Darkness" by Mike Omer. I found this novel to be exciting and very well written and while I have read many good thrillers, I have not felt excitement when reading them and now I have become a real fan of Mike Omer!

The story mainly takes place in Texas and revolves around Zoe Bentley who works for the FBI as a profiler psychologist and Spec
Fiona
The second book in the Zoe Bentley series picks up just as the first one finishes - they could both still be read without reading the other, but you'll gain a lot more context by reading both.

I'm so torn on this series. On the one hand, Mike Omer clearly cares about getting the details right - there's little bits where Zoe shines, or the psychological details are just perfect, and you can see the care that went into researching and making sure he was accurate. It's endearing, and it does a lot t
Phoebe Jeziel
I 👏🏽 NEED 👏🏽 THIS 👏🏽 BOOK 👏🏽 YESTERDAY 👏🏽

Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

FIVE PHENOMENAL GLOWING STARS.

This series continues to be an absolute favorite of mine, love love LOVE IT. I’m so excited for the Glover show down. I hope this isn’t simply a trilogy, I would really like to see more of this duo. ❤❤
Roz
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a second book in a police procedural series, which can be read without the first one, but I would recommend starting at the beginning to get the full story with the overarching plot.

This second instalment deals with a serial killer burying women alive and I was pleasantly surprised that the author switched the obvious solution for something actually unexpected.

The series has great mysteries, humor and likeable characters (especially Tatum’s grandfather, he’s too funny). I highly recomm
Adah Udechukwu
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Darkness is a great thriller. The novel has the right twist and turns.
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for this arc.

A Killer's Mind -- the first Zoe Bentley story-- is somewhere in my kindle library, unread. So I read this second story anyways. It starts off predictably with a serial killer (to be) killing his 1st displayed victim in graphic detail.
Then the story switches over to Zoe's POV. It continues this flip/flop throughout the book. But each chapter is titled with date and location so it's easy to follow along. The pacing is fairly steady, but int
McKenzie/literarydragon
Published June 25th 2019
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
When I read the blurb on NetGalley for this book I completely missed that it’s a second in a series. I’m so glad I wasn’t paying attention to that because if I had I might have skipped over this book.
Zoe Bentley is such a great character with her love for her sister, her misunderstandings of basic behavior even though she specializes in it, and her apparently beakish nose. I’m definitely interested in reading the fir
Dee Arr
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective, thriller
Mike Omer’s second book contains a great plot, one that will cause you to turn pages until you are finished. It also includes a few items that, at times, threatened to bring that page-turning to a screeching halt.

Forensic psychologist Zoe Bentley returns as she and her FBI partner Tatum Gray head for San Angelo, Texas to investigate a case involving a potential serial killer. The author immediately immerses us into the story with gruesome details of how the killer works, while at the same time c
Donna Hines
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
This is the second in the Zoe Bentley Mystery Series and packs quite a few twists in this brand new thriller.
Mike Omer does a fine job in placing the details to make this quite dark, disturbing, and creepy as Zoe our FBI forensic psychologist has to solve the most disturbing murder that began with a young girl being essentially buried alive, fighting for her life, while having it all captured on home video known as "Experiment Number One."
If that doesn't tickle the spooks out of 'ya we then have
Alex
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The follow-up in Mike Omer's new Zoe Bently Mysteries does NOT disappoint! Is it even possible to think that this is better than the first? This is a scary, high-adrenaline, claustrophobic read. Even though this is only my second book I have read by Omer, I can see him quickly becoming one of my new favorite authors. PLEASE come out with the next one quickly!!!

Thank you Netgalley for furnishing my copy of this book in return for my voluntary review.
Vicki
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought book 1 was good and it was, but book 2? OMG! This book was SO good! I love a good murder mystery with a lot of suspense!

This time Zoe is hunting TWO serial killers! She's still on the lookout for Rod Glover, whom she fears will get to her little sister back home. Her current hunt has taken her to a different place to live for the duration of the hunt so keeping up with two killers is almost overwhelming. Zoe is able to think like a killer, or somehow climb inside their mind. This time
Yellagirlgc
3.5
Maybe I'm comparing this book to the first one and that's why it fell shorter than necessary. I still very much like both MC's. I'll be reading the third book in the series as soon as its out.
MM Suarez
Second book in the series somewhat predictable but still entertaining .
E. H. Nathasia
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good read in the Zoe Bentley Mystery! Can't wait for the 3rd book (but it will only be out in 2020)
Toni
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

This is the second book in the Zoe Bentley mystery series.

This book was pretty thrilling and exciting. The whole concept was fascinating. At first the police didn’t think the first death they discovered was the work of a serial killer but slowly Zoe made them believe and realize this truth. The kill was too advanced and organized to be his first.

A girl was found dead in a box created by a monster. She had been buried alive and put on live video so the killer could get his rocks off thin
Stephanie
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

What I Liked

I’m not sure what it says about me as a person, but I love a good serial killer novel and Mike Omer definitely delivered. In the Darkness is an entertaining mystery that managed to surprise me.

The story is told through multiple POVs. We get chapters from both Zoe and Tatum, as well as the serial killer and several other supporting characters. I often times prefer a story to be told through first person POV, b
Tracy T.
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story and superb narration! I enjoyed every bit of this book! (audible review)

I am a Zoe Bentley fan! I love her character and thought process. I like Tatum as well.

The story line and plot was great. I love a great FBI profiler story. Trying to figure out who the psycho killer is. Great stuff. This one was super crazy too.

I don't want to give spoilers away so I won't. The first book was great and the second just a good. I loved them both and highly recommend them- in order.

As
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

3.5 hearts

In the Darkness is the second book in the Zoe Bentley Mystery series .  I got A Killer's Mind through the Kindle first program as an ebook.  I liked it so when I saw this audio for review I took it.

I really liked many of the characters who were realistically developed.  I always enjoy the law enforcement procedures
Amanda
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the first book in the series and I was so excited to see the second book was available.
In this book you get to know Zoe and Tatum a little better. I honestly felt the best part was seeing their relationship progress. I love that they are not romantically involved but, I'm also not totally against in the future; way in to the future. Zoe is a bit like Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory but, she isn't a rip-off of that character though. She is much milder but, very data driven. There
DS
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't written a review for a book in a long time, but this one is worth talking about so here goes. I am fond of the FBI strong female profiler/ awkwardly charismatic law enforcement male protagonists kind of book. I read my share of them. The characters Mike Omer creates for this series are anything but typical. Zoe is strong, blunt, buries her emotions, and socially awkward. She is so direct most people don't react to it very well. Tatum finds her both confusing and fascinating, but is con ...more
Amit Adams
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is getting better with each book and now i can't wait to read its next one. I love all the characters especially Zoe Bentley and Tatum. Mike Omar has spared a good deal of time in shaping the characters.The conversation between Marvin and Tatum or Cat will make you laugh mercilessly.

The plot of the book is so engrossing,it will keep you always at edge and make you flip pages at a considerate rate. Each page has a event,a new change.It will keep you guessing who might be the killer ti
Ray Moon
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Intriguing View Into a Serial Killer’s Mind

This novel opened with a young woman being buried alive. Her soon-to-be killer has placed an infrared camera and microphone in the box in which she was confined. He then streamed the video and audio of the young woman dying over the Internet. The video was captioned, “Experiment Number One.” The uploader’s user name was Schrodinger. The main storyline shifts to the FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit where the heroine, Dr. Zoe Bentley, trying to conv
Andrea
3.75

I liked this book more than the first one!

The murder mystery, and police procedural aspect of the story was a little bit more grounded and realistic this time around. Also, the author threw enough clues and information out there that the killer did jump right out at me, but wasn't unbelievable in the end.

I liked that Tatum and Zoe connected a bit more with each other and we got a bit more information on Glover towards the end.

Also, aslo- Marvin is a damn treasure.
Nadim
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Denise Shaver
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was riveted by the first book, so when this one came out I snapped it up. Once again, the author has a knack for writing about an unsettling topic without making you feel disturbed, at least not too much. I enjoyed seeing Zoe and Tatum’s storyline play out. Marvin and Freckle are much needed comic relief. I suspected the killer, but Omer is so subtle about his clues that I also suspected a few other characters as well. I’m already waiting for the next one.
Preslava
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME! These series are a true treat - complex, with a huge backstory, different wholesome characters, great lol moments, true thrills. I actually liked this book even more than the first one! Well done, Mike Omer!!!
Victoria Roddy
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buried alive 😱

In my opinion this is the scariest thing that could ever happen to someone. Zoe and Tatum work exceptionally well to try and find the man behind these horrific murders. Can they find him before he buried his next victim?
I Love how Zoe and Tatum are coming together as partners in this series, I can only hope there's much more to come ☺
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The X-Files: Season 10, Volume 3
  • Unheard: The Story of Anna Winslow
  • Murdered, My Sweet
  • Wolfhunter River (Stillhouse Lake, #3)
  • Save Your Breath (Morgan Dane #6)
  • The Dark Corners of the Night (UNSUB, #3)
  • The Vanishing Season (The Collector, #4)
  • Soeurs (Commandant Martin Servaz, #5)
  • The Tale of Laniel Young-Again
  • Aftermath (Zero Day, #2)
  • Murder on Vacation (Molly Sutton Mysteries Book 6)
  • Running on Empty (Havoc, #3)
  • Noble Hops (Trouble Brewing, #3)
  • Killer Thriller (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #2)
  • Bare (Exposed, #2)
  • Friends Like These (Suncoast Society, #24)
  • Things in Jars
  • The Boy Next Story (Bookish Boyfriends, #2)
Mike Omer is the author of the Zoe Bentley Mystery Series and the Glenmore Park Mystery Series. In the past, he's been a journalist, a game developer, and the CEO of the company Loadingames. He is married to a woman who diligently forces him to live his dream, and is the father of an angel, a pixie, and a gremlin. He has two voracious hounds that wag their tail quite menacingly at anyone who comes ...more

Zoe Bentley Mystery (2 books)
  • A Killer's Mind (Zoe Bentley Mystery, #1)
“what CDR stood for—call detail records.” 0 likes
“She never understood people’s urge to say, “I told you so.” It was like taking pride in the fact that you weren’t convincing enough.” 0 likes