Start by marking “The Devil's Apprentice (The Great Devil War, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Apprentice (The Great Devil War, #1)

The Devil's Apprentice

(Den Store Djævlekrig #1)

Philip is a good boy, a really good boy, who accidentally gets sent to Hell to become the Devil’s heir. The Devil, Lucifer, is dying and desperately in need of a successor, but there’s been a mistake and Philip is the wrong boy. Philip is terrible at being bad, but Lucifer has no other choice than to begin the difficult task of training him in the ways of evil. Philip gets ...more
Published October 8th 2018 (first published September 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Apprentice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Apprentice

Start your review of The Devil's Apprentice (The Great Devil War, #1)
Helen Power
Synopsis
Philip is a thirteen year old boy who has always been well behaved. He's a boy scout, he does his chores on time, and he's always eager to help anyone who might need his assistance. But when he dies unexpectedly, a mix up causes him to find himself in hell.Not only is he expected to stay there, but he is required to enter training to become the successor of the Devil himself. Philip must learn to survive, but who can he trust? And, most importantly, will he still be the same person
Regitze
I understand why so many are up in arms about this book, why they are flailing over KBA's world. My only regret is not reading it sooner, because it was great. So great.

I will definitely be continuing this series and immediately!
Skirmish
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: halcyon-days
Book Reaction: https://nildivision.blogspot.com/2019...
Rating: 4 Stars – minor quibbles but I loved it to bits

Thank you to the author, Kenneth B. Andersen, for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Esther
Shelves: favorites, kindle
Thanks to the author for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Lately there have been tons and tons of YA Fantasy books and I've seen a lot of readers getting sick of it, since it's very often much of the same. This is another YA Fantasy book, but it's like NOTHING you've ever read. The story was so unique, and although it takes place in hell, the story is mainly about being good, and about what is good and what is evil. I think this was one of my favorite books
Jonathan Pongratz
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Man oh man was this read refreshing!

This was my first time reading a book by Kenneth B. Andersen, and I had no idea just how entertaining this book was going to be.

To start, I really loved Philip's character. He's virtuous and has a good head on his shoulders for his age. And let's be honest, who doesn't love a hero? Throughout this novel, Philip's morals are tested as the influence of the evil around him attempts to seep in. It was really easy to relate to since we all deal with these kinds of
Noriko
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, paranormal
I am not a big fantasy reader most of the time and I only read fantasy novels every now and then, but oh boy, this book entertained me so much that I cannot resist my urge to grab the next book!

A tale of mistaken identity - an intrinsically a good-natured boy, Philip is sent to Hell BY MISTAKE instead of a diabolically evil boy, Sam. Down in Hell, there is a dying Lord of Darkness and he has been looking for a boy to succeed the throne and it WAS supposed to be Sam NOT Philip.
As soon as the
Shalini
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book which can transport me from the realities of my life is certainly a book to gaze at in wonderment. This book did that, the only fact which made it all the more fun was that the book transported me to the realms of Hell!! With Lucifer as its King!! Oh boy, was I in for a rocking ride.

A mistaken identity, and Philip was taken in to Hell by the hands of Death instead of Sam, a bully at his school. Lucifer was dying, and he needed a Heir to succeed the throne. Philip was it! The boy who has
Anne-sophie Olsen
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, demons, doubt
If you like Dennis Jürgensen, then this is a must read book, as it's universe is very similar to that of this other author.

An epic and fun journey into the depths of hell and the soul of humankind.
Anna
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basically the Danish Percy Jackson I loved this series sooo much Satina was my absolute favourite character (childhood icon) although she, in hindsight, sounds like the character Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way was based on. Anyway I love this and I still have the 2 or 3 first books xx
Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh)
In a world without evil “There is no envy, so there are no sports leagues or competition. The killer instinct is dead, because if you lose you’re not angry or disappointed – you’re happy for your competitor. And when the loser’s joy is equal to the winner’s, what’s the point in playing? Books and films would be about nothing, because in this world there are no bad guys to be captured and therefore no heroes.”

Wow. Did this book ever have me thinking! It’s very true that without evil, there can be
Shanannigans
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I LOVED this book! It was highly entertaining, fun, and incredibly creative!

It’s been ages since I enjoyed a Fantasy this much! I honestly don’t have any constructive feedback because from the very first paragraph, I was in it! Totally, and completely absorbed in this fantastical world the author created. Isn’t that the best feeling, to get completely lost in a book?

That was probably my favourite part about this story, the world building. Anderson creates Hell down to the smallest detail, but it
Chip
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
OK, but to me overly simplistic and so flawed. E.g., I didn’t care for (1) how all of the devils, who by definition were supposedly deeply evil - weren’t, (2) how easily (and cluelessly) the upstanding young protagonist was enticed into evildom- but then easily redeemed himself or (3) how all of the suffering of the tormented souls was simply ignored by the various characters. Some YA books work equally, and superbly, well for adult readers - but this was not one of those books.
gwendalyn _books_
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let that be your first lesson, Philip. Down here, humor is always dark.”The Devil's Apprentice, Is the First in a series of The Great Devil War BooksA fun an intriguing adventure fantasy that is full of dark humor, and fantasy world building.A mistake and a twist of fate, sets in motion the storyline.Cleverly written in third POV of Philip Engle, a thirteen-year-old boy who lives with his mother and who lost his father when he was very young.The book is a page-turner, there are heroes and ...more
LeAnne Christiansen
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
“Everything is twisted crookedly and tied together in ways that don’t make sense. A geometric craziness with triangles at more than 180 degrees, squares with only three sides, and parallel lines that cross each other. The road he’s standing on curls like a ribbon. It makes his eyes hurt to see all this madness... This is how the condemned experience Hell.”

The premise of this story is a fun interpretation that makes it hard to put down!
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Shelves: fantasy
To be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to like The Devil's Apprentice. Mainly because of the fact that it's...well, a story about Hell. The whole Christian guilt thing. I know. I know. "But, Valerie, you read horror and about vampires and magic!" Yes, yes indeed and that's why I pulled up my big girl pants and cracked this baby open! Sacrilegious though it may be, it was a riot.

Read more at Cats Luv Coffee
Olga Miret
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am writing this review as a member of Rosie’s Book Review Team (authors, if you’re looking for reviews, I recommend you check her amazing site here), and I thank her and the author for providing me an ARC copy of this book that I freely chose to review.
This is a fun book. Written in the third-person form the point of view of Philip, a thirteen-year-old boy who lives with his mother and who lost his father when he was very young, this novel is suitable for younger readers and also for adults.
Jolie
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Devil’s Apprentice is the story about Philip. Philip is a good boy. So Philip was puzzled when he dies after a car accident, and he goes to Hell. It is after meeting Lucifer that they realize a mistake has been made. The wrong boy died. Lucifer is desperate and he needs an heir because he is dying. So, he makes Philip his heir and is determined to teach him how to become evil.

Meanwhile, Philip is busy making friends (and enemies). He also discovers that what is happening to Lucifer is being
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I received a copy of The Devil's Apprentice in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The Devil's Apprentice is a novel that is both familiar and unfamiliar; unique and complex. It's the tale of mistaken identity taken to extreme levels, and how one boy has to survive and make decisions that he can live with.
Philip is not the sort of kid that you picture when you think of the replacement for the Devil – yet that is exactly the situation he finds himself in. In life, Philip was a sweet kid.
Jessica Belmont
The Devil’s Apprenticeblew my mind. I can’t get over how much I loved this book!! I can’t find anything negative to say. It was just everything I wanted it to be and more.

The concept is really fun. Hell certainly isn’t a place I would consider fun, but I loved how detailed the world building was. I was transported into this world and I was able to read late into the night, having difficulties putting it down.

I love the themes of good vs evil and where the lines blur. I loved that the majority of
Annette Petersen
Phillip is probably one of the most good hearted boys ever. Not as in, you really want to strangle him, because he's just too good.
He's just the kind of boy you would like as your friend.
By a twist of fate he ends up in Hell as the Devil's apprentice.
This causes Lucifer no end of grief, because a boy as good hearted as Phillip, really is ill suited to become the next Master of Hell.
Or is he?

I enjoyed the world building, the different ways of punishing the sinners in Hell and how he incorporated
Kaili Taghon (Entertainingly Nerdy)
So, I ended up reading this book pretty slow mostly because I didn't want it to end. This year I've been on a big fantasy fix and this book didn't disappoint. The devils apprentice is a unique story (to me any way) about a boy who gets killed and taken to hell to become the next devil. The only problem is that the boy is good. Can he learn to be bad? The only issue that I really had is that the book is a little slow to start off with and it took me a moment to really get into. But it is such a ...more
Amanda Hall
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This was an absolute delight! So adorable! Like, Screwtape Letters meets The Pagemaster. An odd combo to be sure, but if you could turn a tale of a boy mistakenly sent to Hell to become Lucifer's successor into a cute adventure-mystery in a frightening, fantastical realm, yet still have something compelling to say about mankind and his relationship with temptation and sin, then this is that story.

I found it all endearing and engaging the whole way through. For all his goodness, Phillip is
Sara Avrams
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A funny, irreverent story with lovely ending.
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
Although I'm quite a bit older than the target audience, I absolutely loved this book. It's witty and forces you to realize that good and evil aren't always black and white absolutes. I giggled a bit I must admit, following Philip's adventures as the devil tries to instruct him in the art of evil. After all, how do you turn a boy scout into the next Lucifer? A delight to read for any age, no matter whether you believe in Hell or not.
N.K. Aning
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a wonderful read. I enjoyed the dark humor.
Taya
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author to review and I'm so happy I got that chance. I haven't read a young adult fantasy in a long time and when I read the title of the book I knew I had to read it.
This is another translated book I've read and I honestly couldn't tell, the writing was so engaging.
We have Philip who has been mistakenly sent to Hell, which is kinda ironic since he is so good he's a Boy Scout, helps his mom with dishes because he wants to and helps anyone in need.
When Lucifer
ava
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ah, I cannot believe this is finally out for the world to read! These books have formed a lot of Danish children's reading experiences and makes you undoubtedly love and care for the devil himself. This book is nothing short of brilliant, and I would get my hands on it (and the rest of the series) as fast as possible now that it's been translated into English.

Always a pleasure to read.
Merlin P. Mann
Oct 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A refreshing and humorous Fantasy book about a well-behaved boy, who ends up in Hell by mistake to become the apprentice of Lucifer. A high-concept story with lots of action and great scenes. The logic is somewhat flawed and the mystery doesn't follow thorugh all the way, but still a very entertaining read - and the sequel is just out!
Angrboda
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesomely funny! I don't think it has been translated into English, but if it does, make sure you give it a go. Especially if you enjoyed Harry Potter or Percy Jackson and that sort of thing. I'm totally looking forward to the next ones in this series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• De hvide mænd
  • Dæmonernes Hvisken (Historien om Mira, #1)
  • The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles, #1)
  • Erik Menneskesøn (Erik Menneskesøn #1)
  • Shamran - den som kommer
  • Himmelherren
  • Ravnenes hvisken (Ravnenes hvisken, #1)
  • Ildprøven (Vildheks, #1)
  • Death Among Us: An Anthology of Murder Mystery Short Stories
  • Reaper: A Horror Novella
  • Ravnenes hvisken (Ravnenes hvisken, #2)
  • The Serpent Gift (The Shamer Chronicles, #3)
  • Whispers in the Dark
  • The Shamer's War (The Shamer Chronicles, #4)
  • A Different Time
  • Skammerens datter 1+2 (Skammerserien, #1-2)
  • En-to-tre-NU!
  • The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2)
I was born in Denmarkon a dark and stormy night in November1976. I began writing when I was a teenager. My first book was a really awful horror novel titled Nidhug's Slaves. It didn't get published. Luckily.

During the next 7 years, I wrote nearly 20 novels--all of which were rejected--while working as a school teacher. The rest of the time I spent writing.

In 2000 I published my debut fantasy book,

Den Store Djævlekrig (6 books)
  • The Die of Death (The Great Devil War #2)
  • The Wrongful Death (The Great Devil War #3)
  • The Angel of Evil (The Great Devil War #4)
  • The Fallen Angel (The Great Devil War #5)
  • The Fallen Devil (The Great Devil War #6)