Start by marking “On Being Human: A Memoir of Waking Up, Living Real, and Listening Hard” as Want to Read:
On Being Human: A Memoir of Waking Up, Living Real, and Listening Hard

On Being Human: A Memoir of Waking Up, Living Real, and Listening Hard

An inspirational memoir about how Jennifer Pastiloff’s years of waitressing taught her to seek out unexpected beauty, how deafness taught her to listen fiercely, how being vulnerable allowed her to find love, and how imperfections can lead to a life full of wild happiness.

Published June 4th 2019 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about On Being Human, please sign up.
Crystal-lee Quibell Definitely I think you should check it out. There is plenty of content that speaks to everyone who may have struggled or is struggling and looking for…moreDefinitely I think you should check it out. There is plenty of content that speaks to everyone who may have struggled or is struggling and looking for a way to get themselves out of the bullshit story they keep telling themselves. ie) not good enough, too late for me etc...(less)

Katie Devine
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Pastiloff's debut memoir is a cliche-busting, genre-bending, tour de force story of a woman who lives her life under her own created mantra, "I have done love." This exploration of a childhood shaped around the early loss of her beloved father, and a coming of age haunted by anorexia and depression is so deeply personal and corporeal that it becomes universal and palpable in its telling. When reading about Pastiloff starving herself through her teens and 20s, my stomach ached. When she ...more
Rachel
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stunning, perfect, messy, and all-around wonderful.

I wasn't familiar with Pastiloff's work before reading the book. I'm sort of horrified by that (WHAT OTHER WONDERFUL THINGS AM I MISSING?!) but it gave me the chance to read this with an open, empty mind.

Now that I'm finished, I want to buy copies of On Being Human and scatter them around like seeds.

It's a memoir, it's self-help, it's help-yourself, it's sad, it's funny, it's inspiring. It's also about the power of yoga, and though I haven't d
Karen
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's so much I want to say about this book that I don't really know where to begin. I had never heard of Jen Pastiloff before I picked up this book. I picked it because the title (and the cover) spoke to me.

This book is mostly a memoir of the author as she goes through her life's journey and then there are many sections that could be qualified as self-help through the realizations she's sharing along the way. But the whole time it's about her and it's not lecturing you as if she knows what's
Tanya
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book so much. It hit me hard (and light) and I want to give it to everyone and start reading it all over again right now. Jen's own story is a great read but more than that her voice, her generosity, her humor is so relatable and just inspired me on so many levels but mostly to be kinder to myself and to everyone else. She is a real "beauty hunter" and this book, by example as much as anything else, made me into one, too.
Amy Bond
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jen Pastiloff's message is about love. full stop. She is the embodiment of giving and lifting up others and believing that there is enough for all of us to be our truest, most selfless versions of ourselves.

Jen talks about her experience waitressing, surviving with depression, trying to make it as an actress in LA, yogaing, deafness, fierce listening and through it all, overcoming her own self doubt to make her life about service to others. I can't think of a more beautiful message to share wit
Alan Sanie
Jun 09, 2019 added it
Shelves: epub
An inspirational memoir about how Jennifer Pastiloff's years of waitressing taught her to seek out unexpected beauty, how deafness taught her to listen fiercely, how being vulnerable allowed her to find love, and how imperfections can lead to a life full of wild happiness.

Centered around the touchstone stories Jen tells in her popular workshops, On Being Human is the story of how a starved person grew into the exuberant woman she was meant to be all along by battling the demons within and win
Jen
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this memoir and I want to give it to every single person I know to read. Not only was it real and honest, but I think Jen has a wonderful way with words. I feel very motivated after reading it to challenge my own beliefs and patterns, and to write more more more. What I like is that she was not pushy or intentionally motivating in her book - it just had that natural effect. If you have EVER had ANY sort of tough time, if you ever feel or think anything negative, if you're human....read t ...more
Marissa Korbel
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jen's honesty and vulnerability drive the narrative of this memoir and anti-self help book. Rather than preach as some kind of fake leader or "guru," Jen keeps it real, tackling depression, eating disorders, body dysmorphia, fertility, love and so much more. A treasure of a book, I know I will return to it again and again to sit with the voice of a real honest friend who has been there.
Teresa
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jennifer Pastifoff joins the women who are writing to say: I'm not perfect and you don't have to be either. The book was a bit disorganized at times, but in an endearing way.

I have adopted referring to the critical voice in my head as "IA" (inner a**hole). "That's your Inner A**hole talking... and it tells you lies. Dirty rotten lies."
Joeann
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Real, messy, chaotic, love, loss, tears, happiness, sadness, dependence, independence, noisy, silence, self-loathing, acceptance, family, friends, manifestation of dreams, reinvention, finding the way and just being human. I needed this at the time I read it. Jennifer Pastiloff doesn't know it yet, but she just became my new bff.
Ebony M-R
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jen's memoir of her journey from girlhood to NYU student to LA waitress to yoga teacher and writer is a fascinating journey. Her writing style is straightforward and reflective. This is an inspiring story.
Susie
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book!!! I loved her raw honesty and humility and enjoyed seeing her grow and rise. I love her perspectives on life and will reflect back on her wisdom often. Beauty hunting. Just so lovely.
Sara Melissa
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Moving book! This was an emotional read for sure, and the author did a good job of sharing the small things in life that make us appreciate life much more. Good read about being human and we are all human in the end.
Louise Miller
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this feverish memoir that speaks to the struggle and necessity of having compassion for yourself. Joyful, honest, funny, true.
Anne-Marie
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As beautifully written

What a beautiful reminder to be "as beautiful as you can be" and not to worry about what others think of you
Gail Grossman
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been waiting for this book for years! I’ve followed Jen and watched the process. It was worth the Wait. An inspiring book, I recommend to everyone!
Raphaela
SO GOOD
Shannon
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jen Pastiloff is a beautiful and generous soul. She is a master at getting people unstuck in their lives. Her book will help you get unstuck, too.
Crystal-lee Quibell
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jen gets real about all the ways in which we talk down to ourselves and believe our own bullshit stories. Reading this book is like going to coffee with your best friend who asks you, “Now what?!” when you’re in the throes of a meltdown going nowhere. This book will lift you up, dust you off and leave you feeling like you've just returned from the biggest love fest with all of your best friends cheering you on. Throughout the book Jen shares the story of learning to listen fiercely (even though ...more
Chelsey Drysdale
Elina
Nov 12, 2018
Muuu
Gray Griffith
rated it did not like it
Bryonie
Jaime
Stephanie
Jun 15, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.” 0 likes
“Buy your fear a cup of coffee and show it how it’s done.” 0 likes